HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Semyon Varlamov's play?

Old
03-21-2012, 12:52 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Report Spam @JWK Plz

vCash: 500
I didn't watch the game today but it seems everyone is in awe with him, not really sure why TBH. I mean yeah he let in only 1 goal but it's only Calgary. Not impressed at all.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:54 AM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
I didn't watch the game today but it seems everyone is in awe with him, not really sure why TBH. I mean yeah he let in only 1 goal but it's only Calgary. Not impressed at all.

TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:27 AM
Freudian
Slightly overpaid

vCash: 50
Since taking the starter spot back in early February Varlamov is 11-4-1 with a 0.942 Sv%.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:27 AM
PuddlesTheDuck

I loved his save on Iginla in the 1st, he was really locked in after the early goal.

PuddlesTheDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:54 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyk1133 View Post
WTF do you mean comment on each thing you say here? I pray to god I'm not debating with a 15 year old. This is getting silly.

If you wanted to have a fair and respectful debate no problem, but that's clearly not gonna happen so let's just leave it alone. We've both said our peace.

Maybe we can revisit this when guys like Schneider, Bernier, etc get traded.
No you're not really debating at all that's the thing. You make a really bad comparison or argument, and then when it's shown as such, you make another bad comparison or argument, and now you've run out. That's why I asked you to respond to what I've said, not talk about me, and you did the same thing again.

And again you bring up Schneider. Oh well, you're right about one thing, we've said our peace, and this isn't going anywhere. At least we can both agree Varly is carrying this team.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:16 PM
BrooksBets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
No you're not really debating at all that's the thing. You make a really bad comparison or argument, and then when it's shown as such, you make another bad comparison or argument, and now you've run out. That's why I asked you to respond to what I've said, not talk about me, and you did the same thing again.

And again you bring up Schneider. Oh well, you're right about one thing, we've said our peace, and this isn't going anywhere. At least we can both agree Varly is carrying this team.
You said Varly's value at the time wasn't worth what was given up because 1) KHL threat 2) inconsistency 3) injuries.

Is that accurate? If so the only point there that holds any definitive merit is #3 ... which isn't enough to conclude that Sherman overpaid. He never had severe injuries...just a bunch of minor ones that began to give people concerns, but nothing that he couldn't overcome.

As for the comparisons with Schneider, Guastad, etc...they all held merit within the context of what I was saying overall. You just chose to either misinterpret it or misconstrue it.

You haven't said anything to warrant any different other than some arrogant assumptions you try to pass off as fact.

BrooksBets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Bubba Thudd
Infer-Action!!!

vCash: 7757
I thought you guys agreed that you were done with that argument?

Bubba Thudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:51 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
You said Varly's value at the time wasn't worth what was given up because 1) KHL threat 2) inconsistency 3) injuries.

Is that accurate? If so the only point there that holds any definitive merit is #3 ... which isn't enough to conclude that Sherman overpaid. He never had severe injuries...just a bunch of minor ones that began to give people concerns, but nothing that he couldn't overcome.

As for the comparisons with Schneider, Guastad, etc...they all held merit within the context of what I was saying overall. You just chose to either misinterpret it or misconstrue it.

You haven't said anything to warrant any different other than some arrogant assumptions you try to pass off as fact.
It appears that the difference is the significance we put on each of those first three things you mentioned, namely the KHL threat, as well as how close Schneider's situation is to Varly, and the difference between off season and deadline trades.

Bubba's right though, it would be selfish of us to carry this on much further. We've probably said all we can on the subject, and it would be pretty annoying to see it dominate the thread, especially when Varly's playing great at the moment.

Old
03-21-2012, 04:11 PM
BrooksBets

Quote:
It appears that the difference is the significance we put on each of those first three things you mentioned, namely the KHL threat, as well as how close Schneider's situation is to Varly, and the difference between off season and deadline trades.

Bubba's right though, it would be selfish of us to carry this on much further. We've probably said all we can on the subject, and it would be pretty annoying to see it dominate the thread, especially when Varly's playing great at the moment.
As long as we stay on topic what's selfish about it? Now that he's been playing on fire the trade is taking on a new perspective for many.

The KHL threat had a lot more layers than simply "he was threatening to bolt so his value goes down". It involved his agent, leverage in bargaining, WSH's insulting offer, his situation, etc. It clearly wasn't the wide brush that usually gets painted with Russian players who only care about the biggest payday they can get.

Did it handcuff WSH? Absolutely, but only because they weren't willing to give him a fair contract. Keep in mind WSH had/has Neuvirth/Holtby so it's not like WSH didn't have leverage themselves. This put Varly in a no-win situation.

Yes his situation is very different on the periphery than Schneider, but the main comparison that is at the center of my case is that neither team can/could keep them at the price they deserve on the open market. Both clubs are "forced" to move a highly touted young goalie (regardless of circumstances why) because 1) money 2) they have undeniable starter ability/aspirations. Both have also done enough to command considerable attention from other teams.

Comparable doesn't mean "the same"...but they have enough commonalities with their situations to make the comparison in the overall picture. Both goalies have their pros/cons, but to say one is more valuable than the other at the time of the trade(s) can't be established conclusively. A fair argument could be made for each.

Both Sherman and Mcphee aren't idiots. They both knew the potential Varly had and a fair price was agreed on. His current play is validating the trade for both sides at the moment. That could change..but that's where we stand now.

Old
03-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
As long as we stay on topic what's selfish about it? Now that he's been playing on fire the trade is taking on a new perspective for many.

The KHL threat had a lot more layers than simply "he was threatening to bolt so his value goes down". It involved his agent, leverage in bargaining, WSH's insulting offer, his situation, etc. It clearly wasn't the wide brush that usually gets painted with Russian players who only care about the biggest payday they can get.

Did it handcuff WSH? Absolutely, but only because they weren't willing to give him a fair contract. Keep in mind WSH had/has Neuvirth/Holtby so it's not like WSH didn't have leverage themselves. This put Varly in a no-win situation.

Yes his situation is very different on the periphery than Schneider, but the main comparison that is at the center of my case is that neither team can/could keep them at the price they deserve on the open market. Both clubs are "forced" to move a highly touted young goalie (regardless of circumstances why) because 1) money 2) they have undeniable starter ability/aspirations. Both have also done enough to command considerable attention from other teams.

Comparable doesn't mean "the same"...but they have enough commonalities with their situations to make the comparison in the overall picture. Both goalies have their pros/cons, but to say one is more valuable than the other at the time of the trade(s) can't be established conclusively. A fair argument could be made for each.

Both Sherman and Mcphee aren't idiots. They both knew the potential Varly had and a fair price was agreed on. His current play is validating the trade for both sides at the moment. That could change..but that's where we stand now.
These are just the same arguments, and I would just respond with the same arguments, that's why it would be annoying. You view the first situation as complicated, but the second is painted as very simple. They both have multiple facets too them, we clearly disagree on the significance of each facet.

I will add though that trades are almost never win-win's. That's not to say that this one won't be in the end, but that was part of my argument that you don't share, in that you evaluate the player's value at the time of the trade, especially since it involves draft picks which have a set value that doesn't account for the player drafted.

Trades usually involve both team's holding their cards close to their vest, downplaying, and sometimes outright lying about their intentions or views on a player, and most often comes down to one team overpaying by at least a little bit by the team that's more desperate to make the move. Same thing happens with UFA's, which is why there are always players that get overpaid. Doesn't make one side an idiot, just more desperate.

Last edited by Foppa2118: 03-21-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old
03-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Frenchy
Mod Supervisor

are you guys an old couple or something ?

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 04:32 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 04:34 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I'm trying to end it and divorce. I can't get the papers signed though.

Old
03-21-2012, 04:41 PM
BrooksBets

Quote:
These are just the same arguments, and I would just respond with the same arguments, that's why it would be annoying. You view the first situation as complicated, but the second is painted as very simple. They both have multiple facets too them, we clearly disagree on the significance of each facet.

I will add though that trades are almost never win-win's. That's not to say that this one won't be in the end, but that was part of my argument that you don't share, in that you evaluate the player's value at the time of the trade, especially since it involves draft picks which have a set value that doesn't account for the player drafted.

Trades usually involve both team's holding their cards close to their vest, downplaying, and sometimes outright lying about their intentions with a player, and most often comes down to one team overpaying by at least a little bit by the team that's more desperate to make the move. Same thing happens with UFA's, which is why there are always players that get overpaid. Doesn't make one side an idiot, just more desperate.
I wouldn't say either team was "more" desperate though. COL wanted to improve their goaltending in a big way..both for the short and long-term. WSH had 3 young goalies that many thought could eventually be starters so could afford to move 1, and Varly forced the situation so he wasn't left for dead in what is obviously a bad situation in WSH. He didn't want to go to the KHL, but it was enough leverage to force a move and WSH didn't want to lose him for nothing.

I suspect you are confusing "risk" with "overpaying" because I would agree COL took on more risk in the deal...that's obvious, but that's not the same as overpaying. Since Varly had to overcome his injury history and COL had to avoid giving up a lottery pick....it's no wonder Sherman took heat for it. But if you look at things more closely, it was a good bet that the team would improve this year and Varly's health hasn't been a problem (yet). And look where WSH's current goaltending situation is at. I think it was a hellevu shrewd move.

and who knows...maybe by this time next year Varly will be outplaying Schneider as a starter too. It wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Old
03-21-2012, 05:07 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 05:12 PM
Frenchy
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post

funny , well done

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Foppa Frossa

vCash: 50
It's cool guys, I got this.

Foppa Frossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:08 PM
Flanagan
Registered Loser

I think I found a big reason why Varlamov is so good in shootouts.

This is a pretty cool interview with him regarding penalty shots from '08. Looks like he wasn't a fan of them them back then either .

Quote:
For me, the only positive thing in regards to the penalty shots is to make the fans happy.

Flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:11 PM
Flanagan
Registered Loser

From a similar interview on that same site:

"Are there any drawbacks to playing in the AHL?
S. Varlamov: The main drawback is that not a single AHL club has a goalie coach, unlike the NHL clubs. Itís difficult without them. It ends up that you have to train yourself. "

At least we have Giguere...

Flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by en_snabb_svensk View Post
It's cool guys, I got this.

can someone explain?

Colorado Avalanche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:32 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanagan View Post
I think I found a big reason why Varlamov is so good in shootouts.

This is a pretty cool interview with him regarding penalty shots from '08. Looks like he wasn't a fan of them them back then either .
I like how he thanks the guys that scored in OT and the SO by name. I've never seen a goalie do that, and certainly not sound as genuine.

He seems like he's really settled in and feels part of the team now, as opposed to early in the season where he seemed a little lonely.

EJ talked recently about how he's a guy you want to call to go have dinner with on the road. I think this closer relationship with the team goes hand in hand with his performance since Giguere got hurt. Hard to tell which influenced the other though, maybe both.

Old
03-22-2012, 12:49 AM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
can someone explain?
I think it's pretty obvious. The rest of the team was REALLY happy with his performance.

TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:56 AM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanagan View Post
From a similar interview on that same site:

"Are there any drawbacks to playing in the AHL?
S. Varlamov: The main drawback is that not a single AHL club has a goalie coach, unlike the NHL clubs. It’s difficult without them. It ends up that you have to train yourself. "

At least we have Giguere...
If only we had some competent management that see's the need for a fulltime goalie coach.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:13 AM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
If only we had some competent management that see's the need for a fulltime goalie coach.
I'm holding out hope Varly's goalie coach Jussi Parkkila's contract is up in the KHL after this year, and that's what the Avs were waiting for. I'm not holding my breath though.

Old
03-22-2012, 05:35 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
I think it's pretty obvious. The rest of the team was REALLY happy with his performance.
ahahaha.

Colorado Avalanche is online now   Reply With Quote