HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Semyon Varlamov's play?

Old
10-11-2011, 12:25 AM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
I honestly hope it's a pattern... Varly gets 2 games, Giguere gets 1 game, and repeat. EDIT: This is still 55 games for Varlamov and 27 games for Giguere.

The last thing we need is to OVERPLAY Varlamov, even 5 games in a row would be too much IMHO... His groin makes me nervous.
Sounds like a good formula to me provided that Giguere plays solid. May need to modify it here and there if we have 3 giant games in a row (with days off in between, of course) and want Varly in all 3, then play Giguere 2 straight, then back to the formula.

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 12:27 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

All I know is I want to see more pictures of Varlamov like the one in my avatar.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 12:43 AM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
All I know is I want to see more pictures of Varlamov like the one in my avatar.
Agreed, I'd love to see that face after every game he plays and never see the one he made after the Detroit game ever again

Hope we see a lot of big, goofy Giguere smiles after his starts too.

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 06:23 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
I honestly hope it's a pattern... Varly gets 2 games, Giguere gets 1 game, and repeat. EDIT: This is still 55 games for Varlamov and 27 games for Giguere.

The last thing we need is to OVERPLAY Varlamov, even 5 games in a row would be too much IMHO... His groin makes me nervous.
In the grand scheme, those numbers sound good. But as many are aware, Sacco likes to ride goalie's hot streaks. I expect Varly to play 5+ games 1-2 times this year at least. Giggy may get 3-4 game stretches as well.

The only way I see this not happening is if Varly/Giggy take control of their playing time and tell Sacco when they will and won't be playing.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 06:41 AM
The Infamous Tank
Franklinator Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
In the grand scheme, those numbers sound good. But as many are aware, Sacco likes to ride goalie's hot streaks. I expect Varly to play 5+ games 1-2 times this year at least. Giggy may get 3-4 game stretches as well.

The only way I see this not happening is if Varly/Giggy take control of their playing time and tell Sacco when they will and won't be playing.
He rode Andy because Andy could take that and needed that. Also if you bench Andy he gets mad just ask the Sens coach. Giggy is the best backup we have had in a long time I think he will get more playing time than Budja has in the past.

The Infamous Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Foppa Frossa

Varly gets the start against the coats.

Foppa Frossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 03:01 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Few notes from a Caps fan:

1) The past two games are pretty much what you can expect for the future as far as Varlamov is concerned

2) Caps fans were hoping for a long time that he'd learn some movement efficiency from Neuvirth, but it never happened. Maybe Giguere will be able to teach him as a vet, but don't get your hopes up

3) Someone already said it, but Varlamov was traded because he made himself the odd man out, not because he was a bad goalie. Holtby might contend with him for raw talent, but that day could be a long way off

4) If the Avs continue to give up the kind of chances I saw in the Bruins game, it's only a matter of time before he reinjures his groin

5) Please do not think that troll represents us. Although I do enjoy some good-natured banter

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by en_snabb_svensk View Post
Varly gets the start against the coats.
I thought Giguere might get this game but I guess he'll play against the Sens. Sacco should also play Giguere against either the Habs or Leafs. He said those are the two games he is really looking forward to on the road because Montreal is his home town and Toronto is his former team. I would play him against the Leafs.

Jackets: Varly
Sens: Giguere
Habs: Varly
Leafs: Giguere

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 03:11 PM
chewey
dmitri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I thought Giguere might get this game but I guess he'll play against the Sens. Sacco should also play Giguere against either the Habs or Leafs. He said those are the two games he is really looking forward to on the road because Montreal is his home town and Toronto is his former team. I would play him against the Leafs.

Jackets: Varly
Sens: Giguere
Habs: Varly
Leafs: Giguere
I think this is ideal, but not sure if this is what will happen. Either way, Varly vs. Price should be a good one. Stastny vs. Plek - I have speed hence my defensive game is better than Stastny - anec.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 03:15 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
4) If the Avs continue to give up the kind of chances I saw in the Bruins game, it's only a matter of time before he reinjures his groin
Not sure what that means. Outside of 3 real good chances, the Avs kept most of the shots to the outside.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 03:31 PM
AvsFan7*

Quote:
Few notes from a Caps fan:

1) The past two games are pretty much what you can expect for the future as far as Varlamov is concerned

2) Caps fans were hoping for a long time that he'd learn some movement efficiency from Neuvirth, but it never happened. Maybe Giguere will be able to teach him as a vet, but don't get your hopes up

3) Someone already said it, but Varlamov was traded because he made himself the odd man out, not because he was a bad goalie. Holtby might contend with him for raw talent, but that day could be a long way off

5) Please do not think that troll represents us. Although I do enjoy some good-natured banter
Sounds like somebody who just watched the highlights to the game and nothing else...... The Bruins had 2, Maybe 3 Good scoring chances, Only 1 were he really had to stretch the groin. Other then that most of the bruins shots were from the perimeter and easy to make stops for Varly.

AvsFan7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 03:45 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

I watched the whole game twice, once on the Bruins feed and once on Altitude. I saw multiple plays that weren't necessarily great scoring chances but forced Varlamov to make quick or long side-to-side movements. The D overall looked fine from what I saw as far as good hockey goes.

Old
10-11-2011, 03:54 PM
BrickAHL
No Scrubs

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 04:00 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
I watched the whole game twice, once on the Bruins feed and once on Altitude. I saw multiple plays that weren't necessarily great scoring chances but forced Varlamov to make quick or long side-to-side movements. The D overall looked fine from what I saw as far as good hockey goes.
First, I'd like to thank you for your contributions to this thread. It's nice having fans that have an outside perspective give us reasonable and well thought out (read: non-trolling) posts.

I'm not sure anything the Avs D can do will lead to Varly not going for those big stretching saves. It really does seem like he relies heavily on his flexibility/athleticism to make even routine saves. It's why I'm really hoping Giguere can help him out with his positioning and efficiency.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Any chance some of you guys can cool it a bit with the Varlamov hype? Just saw the "Varlamov played the game of his life" thread and some people were putting him in the top 10 already. Our good friend G2P put him above Ward, Rinne, Quick, and Kipper. He also said he might be better than Price and Lundqvist. I'm very excited after the first two games as well but damn......

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 04:10 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Any chance some of you guys can cool it a bit with the Varlamov hype? Just saw the "Varlamov played the game of his life" thread and some people were putting him in the top 10 already. Our good friend G2P put him above Ward, Rinne, Quick, and Kipper. He also said he might be better than Price and Lundqvist. I'm very excited after the first two games as well but damn......
This was created by... a Bruins fan.

TwoPadStack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 04:24 PM
rpontbriand

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
This was created by... a Bruins fan.
Bruins fan complaining about hype? Really?

Please see the following:
  • Blane Lacker
  • Sergei Samsonov
  • Dimitri Kharvartolnov
  • Cam Stewart
  • Greg Hawgood - Hawgie hockey was not quite what some thought it would be

To name a few ...

rpontbriand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

He certainly has the smoothest technique of any goalie I've seen in Colorado since Roy. Very happy with the acquisition thus far, just hope him and Giguere don't have to play shutout hockey for 80 more games in order for us to have a winning record.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 05:04 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpontbriand View Post
Bruins fan complaining about hype? Really?

Please see the following:
  • Blane Lacker
  • Sergei Samsonov
  • Dimitri Kharvartolnov
  • Cam Stewart
  • Greg Hawgood - Hawgie hockey was not quite what some thought it would be

To name a few ...
Ivan Huml
Martin Samuelsson

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 05:07 PM
foppagirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
Great find, thanks for posting! I really like the guy- cannot wait to see how this season plays out. I hope he does his childhood team proud!

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 08:26 PM
the_fan

Quote:
Well come on, goalies are not statues, they need to move around

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:18 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Let me take a rain check on this thread until after tonight's game. Finally a night the Avs play and the Caps don't.

Also I don't know if I care to argue that point anymore as it's more of a fear than an actual point.

Old
10-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 900
Quote:
Let me take a rain check on this thread until after tonight's game. Finally a night the Avs play and the Caps don't.

Also I don't know if I care to argue that point anymore as it's more of a fear than an actual point.
Well good luck seeing Varly play, unless you live in Columbus, since this game isn't televised at all.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:40 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Center Ice should have at least the Columbus station no? I haven't checked the schedule yet. Sucks that there's no Avs station though.

Old
10-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 900
Quote:
Center Ice should have at least the Columbus station no? I haven't checked the schedule yet. Sucks that there's no Avs station though.
There isn't going to be any broadcast, because Versus didn't allow it.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote