HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

The AAA 2011 Draft

Old
10-12-2011, 12:20 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
HC Davos selects RW Ales Hemsky
Four consecutive 40+ assist seasons (267 points over those 4 years) for the playmaking winger makes him a decent set up man for the more finishing, goal scoring Seibert at center on the HC Davos second line.

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:35 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

The giant Indian heads select Fredrik Modin, LW
  • 6'4" 220 lbs
  • Seasons of 57, 56, 54, 48, 42, 40 points during the dead puck era.
  • 462 points (532 adjusted) in 898 career games
  • Played in the NHL All Star game in 2001
  • 9th in Selke voting in 2003-04
  • Top scorer and all-star forward at 2004 World Cup of Hockey with 4 goals, 8 points in 4 games
  • Triple Gold Club member (1998 WC, 2004 SC, 2006 Olympics)
Quote:
Originally Posted by THN (right before Modin retired)
ASSETS: Is very sound defensively and does the little things that win hockey games. Complements talented forwards. Is good in front of the opposing goal. Possesses a great slap shot.
FLAWS: Is prone to prolonged slumps and is not a natural goal-scorer. His shots often miss the target and he has become injury-prone with advanced age.
CAREER POTENTIAL: Aging, injury-plagued complementary winger.
http://forecaster.ca/hockeynews/hockey/player.cgi?1209

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 10-12-2011 at 02:02 PM.
TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:35 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
I'm trying to internally debate whether or not I think Hemsky's significant injury problems outweigh his production. He's probably one of the best playmaking wingers available though. I definitely think you're going to need a good backup option for the top 6 too though.
Yeah no question on that in my mind. There are some solid players still out there though and to us Hemsky's high end ability is enough to make it easier to overlook his injury history at this level. Frankly if not for his injury history he probably would have been one of the earliest MLD picks, if not a late round ATD pick since wingers with his playmaking ability are hard to come by.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:40 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Montreal select

Patrice Brisebois D

30 pts seasons: 8 ( + a 29 pts )
10 goals seasons: 5
420 pts in 1009 games
32 pts in 98 playoff games
1993 Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal's hockey heroes book
Brisebois understood in his junior days that he would have to rely on his attacking and puck handling skills to get noticed.An admirer of top offensive dman like Ray Bourque or Paul Coffey , he tried to imitate their styles.

Brisebois' strenght is his ability to move the puck and make a good, crisp pass.Able to joint the attack at any time , he also has a low , hard drive from the point , useful on the PP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey legends
After having reached the Memorial Cup tournament three times in his junior career (1989, 1990 and 1991), the young blueliner's first full season in the NHL culminated in a Stanley Cup championship. Brisebois scored ten goals in the regular season and demonstrated poise as the club moved deeper into the playoffs. In 1997-98, he scored 37 points, registered a +16 plus/minus rating and helped the Habs reach the second round of the playoffs. As the franchise struggled in the late 1990s, Brisebois was a constant on the defensive brigade. He set a personal high with 15 goals in 2000-01 and was an integral part of the club's playoff hopes in 2001-02.

Brisebois patrolled the Colorado blue-line and proved to be a steady defender with the Avalanche in 2005-06. The following year he suffered a serious back injury in a December 27, 2006 game against the Dallas Stars. The injury kept him out of the Avalanche line-up for the remainder of the season and Brisebois signed as a free with the Canadiens in the summer of 2007.

On the international stage, Brisebois is a two-time member of Canada's World Junior team (1990-1991).

Last edited by BenchBrawl: 10-12-2011 at 01:31 PM.
BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:42 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
The giant Indian heads select Fredrik Modin, LW
Love this pick! I had him in AAA11:

Quote:
...a skilled role player with size and mobility and plenty of championship experience in 6'3, 218 lbs. left winger Fredrik Modin, tourney top scorer and all-star forward at 2004 World Cup of Hockey with 4 goals, 8 points in 4 games in addition to his Triple Gold Club membership with world championship gold (1998), Olympic gold (2006) and 19 playoff points in the 23 game successful Stanley Cup run (2004). Injuries have curtailed his offense since then, but from before his 2001 all-star game appearance until after 2004 he was worldclass in his mobility and effectiveness, displaying remarkable quickness and power.

Quote:
ASSETS: Possesses one of the NHL's hardest slap shots. Is very sound defensively and does the little things that win hockey games. Complements talented forwards.
http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...layer.cgi?1209

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:51 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Heh, you had the same THN article I found. Thanks for the info on Modin's international accomplishments.

The THN forecaster lists him as LW/RW. Anyone know how much Modin actually played RW? (Enough for us to use him on either side?)

Old
10-12-2011, 12:57 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Heh, you had the same THN article I found. Thanks for the info on Modin's international accomplishments.

The THN forecaster lists him as LW/RW. Anyone know how much Modin actually played RW? (Enough for us to use him on either side?)
I wouldnt play Modin at RW , to me he's a LW and nothing else.

Old
10-12-2011, 01:30 PM
jkrx

Quote:

He's just about above average on the RW. I wouldnt play him there.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:32 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

okay, thanks. that's what I thought.

Old
10-12-2011, 01:36 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

What pairs would you make with these dmen:

Dana Murzyn
Joe Reekie
Philippe Boucher
Patrice Brisebois

I'm tempted to go with Reekie-Boucher and Brisebois-Murzyn , any tips?

Old
10-12-2011, 01:40 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Love this pick! I had him in AAA11:
Good stuff. He will look good beside Fergus on our third line.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:47 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Philadelphia completes its shutdown 2nd pairing with the selection of D Joel Quenneville

2x Hartford Whalers Most Valuable Defenseman
2x 10th in NHL in Goals On Ice Against
2x Top 8 in NHL in PP Goals On Ice Against
Killed 50.1% of teams PK(from 82-83 to 88-89)
SH TOI/G Ranks Among D(82-83 to 88-89): 3, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2

Quote:
Joel Quenneville has become a top coach in professional hockey, often referred to as "Coach Q" But Joel also enjoyed a long career as a solid defenseman before he focused his attention towards coaching.

Also known as "Herbie," Joel survived through 13 NHL seasons through intelligence and dependability. A poor skater by NHL standards, Joel learned quickly how to play within his limitations to make himself into a valuable NHL commodity. Although he put up some impressive numbers in junior hockey, Joel played a conservative and unspectacular defensive game at the NHL level, always making the safe play. This didn't win him many accolades with the media or the fans, but his coaches and teammates truly appreciated Quenneville's subtle yet important contributions

Quenneville, who actually considered quitting hockey in junior to study medicine, was drafted by the Toronto Maple Leafs 21st overall in 1978. He had just come off of a 27 goal, 103 point season with the Windsor Spitfires and the Leafs were hoping he could become an offensive presence in the NHL. The Leafs quickly lost their patience with Quenneville however as it became more obvious that at the NHL level he would be more of a role player. The Leafs included Quenneville in the big Lanny McDonald trade to Colorado in exchange for Pat Hickey and Wilf Paiement.

Quenneville played 3 1/2 seasons with the Rockies/New Jersey Devils before he was traded again in the summer of 1983. He actually was traded to Calgary with Steve Tambellini for Phil Russell and Mel Bridgeman on June 20th, 1983. However a couple of weeks later, on July 5, 1983, the Flames moved Joel and Richie Dunn to Hartford for Mickey Volcan.

While it must have been a tumultuous couple of weeks for the Quenneville family, it proved to be a blessing for Joel. He enjoyed his best NHL seasons in "the Insurance City." Twice he was named as the Whalers most valuable defenseman (1984 and 1985) and he played a big role in helping Hartford win the Adams Division championship in 1987.

In 1991 Quenneville quietly finished his NHL playing career. He was sold to Washington where he played only 9 games and spent most of the year in the minors. In 1991 he signed with the Toronto Maple Leafs organization. He was to be a playing assistant coach for the Leafs minor league team in St. John's Newfoundland. It was in St. John's that Joel met Marc Crawford. The two worked really well together and both went on to successful coaching careers. In fact Quenneville reached the top of his class in 2000 when he won the Jack Adams award as the NHL's best coach that season after compiling an impressive 51-20-11-1 record for a .695 winning percentage.

Not too bad for a guy who used to spend his summers working as a stock broker in Hartford. Quenneville was an unheralded and under-appreciated player. He scored 54 goals and 190 points in 803 games, but his true worth was helping to develop young defensemen and quietly taking care of his own end. He is going to get more headlines as a NHL coach for many years to come.
http://whalerslegends.blogspot.com/2...enneville.html

Last edited by BillyShoe1721: 10-12-2011 at 02:14 PM.
BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:48 PM
jkrx

Detroit Cougars selects: Jody Hull, RW

Quote:
Hull Has To Keep Working To Keep Working
By MICHAEL RUSSO Special to the Sun-Sentinel, September 17, 1997
He tries not to think about the pressure. On a lot of teams, Jody Hull would be considered an asset because of his steady checking and wizardry at killing penalties. But it seems whenever Hull's name comes up in Panthers camp, job security _ or a lack thereof _ is linked. "I try not to think about it, but I guess it's always there in the back of my mind," said Hull, 28. "There's nothing I can do about it except go out and prove to them that I should be here. In my mind, I know I should be here, and I think I will be here."
Quote:
Cats' Play: Speeding By A Clawing D
By MICHAEL RUSSO Special to the Sun-Sentinel, May 2, 1996
As the Eastern Conference semifinals begin tonight at the Spectrum, the Philadelphia Flyers will try to outmuscle the Panthers. But first they'll have to catch them. Since Panthers coach Doug MacLean assembled the speedy line of center Tom Fitzgerald and wingers [undrafted] and Jody Hull, the Panthers have won five of their last six games. Now MacLean hopes the trio can give the Flyers as many fits as they gave the Bruins in the first round of the playoffs. "[Philadelphia) has a big, strong team and not too many teams can beat them physically," said Hull, who scored three goals against the Bruins.
Quote:
Former coach Doug MacLean referred to Panthers' right winger Jody Hull earlier this year as "maybe the most versatile player in the NHL."
Quote:
A Low-scoring Hull Is Fine With Florida
By RAY MURRAY Staff Writer, March 13, 1994
A successful game for Jody Hull includes plenty of banging, a lot of harassing and no scoring. Sure, he'll take a goal when he can get one, but Hull's obsession is putting the clamps on the other team's high-fliers. "I know when I go out there every night, if I shut down the other team's top line, our team has a good chance to win," Hull said. As right winger on the checking line (centered by captain Brian Skrudland with [undrafted] on the left), Hull has to be willing to hit anything in an enemy uniform while not thinking about offense.

Last edited by jkrx: 10-12-2011 at 02:30 PM.
jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:52 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Detroit Cougars selects: Jody Hull
I'm going to need some convincing on this one, even if it's the AAA Draft.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:55 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
What pairs would you make with these dmen:

Dana Murzyn
Joe Reekie
Philippe Boucher
Patrice Brisebois

I'm tempted to go with Reekie-Boucher and Brisebois-Murzyn , any tips?
Just don't put boucher and brisebois together.

Old
10-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Rob Scuderi

D Harold Snepsts

x2 NHL All-star Game
6th in PIM '85
1000+ gp, 2000+ PIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pelletier
While he played in short stops with the Minnesota North Stars, Detroit Red Wings and St. Louis Blues, the mustachioed and helmetless Harold Snepsts will forever be remembered as the robust though anything but graceful blue liner with the Vancouver Canucks for a combined 12 NHL seasons.

Harold was a hugely popular player on the west coast, perhaps the most popular ever. He was a cult hero in the old Pacific Coliseum, where fans would boisterously chant "Haaar-Old! .... Haaar-Old!....Haaar-Old!" over and over. Even in the later years of his career when he would revisit Vancouver as a member of another club, the fans would cheer for their hero.

Harold had no real finesse skill to speak of. He was a down right terrible skater. He seemingly ran on the ice instead of gliding in strong strides. He had little speed and even less mobility. This made him prone to being beaten one-on-one by a fleet footed enemy. Harold also was an adventure with the puck. Over time he learned to almost avoid handling the puck. If he did have to play it he'd most likely just fire it out of the zone. However because he often played with his back to the play, he was often intercepted.

What Snepsts could do though was extremely valuable. He intimidated the opposition. You would think twice before traveling to the slot in front of the Canucks net, as Harold would punish you with enjoyment. He loved to hit and did so with great aggression and authority. In his younger years he was a willing and good fighter, though. Essentially he was on the ice to add size and aggression, and to keep the other team honest.

One of the reasons why Harold lasted over 1000 games in the National Hockey League was because he was as popular with his teammates as he was with the fans. He had a legendary sense of humour and was a great leader. The great character he showed every day of his career was an immeasurable contribution that far outweighed any amount of goals or bodychecks he collected.
http://canuckslegends.blogspot.com/2...d-snepsts.html

Last edited by Rob Scuderi: 10-12-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 02:00 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Just don't put boucher and brisebois together.
lol yeah that is pretty obvious , but I think people underrate Boucher's defensive game , during his prime years he was quite a complete defenseman.

Old
10-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Velociraptor

Let me know if he's still available... Harold Snepsts, D

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 02:09 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Let me know if he's still available... Harold Snepsts, D
a lot changed in 9 minutes

Old
10-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Rob Scuderi

I came hoping to pick Hemsky, blame VI and DaveG.

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 03:06 PM
seventieslord

Regina selects Nikolai Makarov, D.

I agonized long and hard over the pros and cons and decided that he is capable of a top-4 role with 1st unit PP duties in the AAA.

Makarov was a longtime Soviet league blueliner who didn't appear to stand for much more than longevity. But he blossomed offensively in the 1977 and 1978 seasons, in which he was 1st and 2nd in Soviet league defensemen scoring. He was not a postseason all-star but then there was only one team named in those years. He was 9th in MVP voting in 1978, and in both 1978 and 1979 he was named to the "top 30 players", whatever that means.

He was never on the national team, aside from a game in 1981. With that said, the national team mainstays of his generation are all taken and he appears to be among the "next best", especially offensively.

Makarov posted some gawdy totals in the 1980 and 1981 seasons that would have made him 1st and 2nd in Soviet league defensemen scoring a couple more times, but one piece of evidence that he played forward those seasons is enough for me considering he was 34 and the numbers would be abnormal otherwise. Eurohockey.net has two entries for Makarov, one of which is a forward from 1980-1982 with Traktor. Every other source calls Makarov purely a defenseman, but I don't buy it and don't want to try to pull one over on you guys, either.

Makarov went to the Finnish league for the 1983 season and was named the league's top defenseman at 35, leading the league in blueliner scoring, edging 30-year old Pekka Rautakallio, an ATDer who had 68 points in the NHL the season before. The following season Rautakallio outscored Makarov by just 2 points. All indications are that from 1977 to 1984 at least, Makarov had the capability to be a middle of the road offensive specialist at the NHL level, and that was at age 29-36. Prior to that he stuck around despite having average scoring stats, indicating decent all-around ability.

With 490 elite league games, he outlasted guys like Babinov (452), Gusev (335), Ivanov (300), Lutchenko (459), Lyapkin (354), Romishevsky (437), A poor man's Yuri Fedorov, perhaps?

-________________

Modin? Purely a LW, as far as I know.

Hemsky? "one of the" best playmaking wingers? If you're talking "per-game" then he's definitely the best from what I can see.

Brisebois? I was actually considering him. Pretty sad that he was the all-time highest scoring defenseman left, by a 35-point margin.

Reid? Tony, you might not be aware that Reid actually had a season good enough to earn him all-star consideration. He was tied for 10th in 1972 with 7 voting points. He was on the radar for sure.

Jody Hull? WTF?

Last edited by seventieslord: 10-30-2011 at 01:58 AM.
seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 05:01 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Brisebois? I was actually considering him. Pretty sad that he was the all-time highest scoring defenseman left, by a 35-point margin.
I looked around a bit looking for an offensive dman and I still think Brisebois was the best choice out there.

Old
10-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Dawson City selects steady blueliner Chris Therien.

Not many people know this, but Chris Therien possessed some serious offensive skills; he actually led a sorry Dallas Stars squad in playoff scoring, in their 5-game loss to Colorado back in 2004.

Packaged with this offensive flair is some sublime defensive awareness, as shown by his career +130 stat line over 764 career games with Philly and Dallas.

10-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Velociraptor

Quote:
a lot changed in 9 minutes
Ah, cripes

I was on my phone.

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Velociraptor