HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

The AAA 2011 Draft

Old
10-11-2011, 02:43 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Rathje could carry the puck and made a good first pass? That's news to me. He was absolutely awful at those two things in his short time in Philadelphia.
As a Flyer he battled injuries that affected his mobility. The Hockey News reflects:

Quote:
ASSETS: Was positionally sound and used his big reach to defend in his own end. Displayed a lot of hockey sense and was reliable enough to be used a lot in any game situation.

FLAWS: Injuries, mainly to his groin area, destroyed the tail end of his career, as he was unable to utilize his massive frame to the best of his ability.
http://forecaster.ca/hockeynews/hockey/player.cgi?1564

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 02:45 PM
BenchBrawl
You love it

vCash: 50
Joe Murphy RW

6-0 190 lbs
Drafted 1st overall
1 stanley cup
77 playoff points in 120 playoff games
528 points in 779 games
Tied or 3rd overall in career overtime goal in the playoffs with 4.
had 6 consecutive season of 0,70 or + ppg ( some short due to injuries though )

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 02:51 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
We also select Radek Bonk, who was a solid defensive forward who once placed 7th in selke voting, was one of the NHL's most frequent hitters, and somehow is one of the five most accomplished post-67 NHL scorers left. (Simple metric: sum of best 5 percentage seasons)
A stat explained by his winger: Marian Hossa. Bonk and Hossa did a lot of cycling in the offensive zone contrary to the average style in the 'Dead Puck' Era. Without Hossa he's been a Bottom-6 forward, really a third liner in terms of talent.

Old
10-11-2011, 02:52 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
The Philadelphia Sting select RW Brian Mullen to add some needed playmaking and two-way ability to the RW position.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 03:07 PM
BenchBrawl
You love it

my greg gilbert pick has been mentionned twice in the main page

Old
10-11-2011, 03:35 PM
overpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
A stat explained by his winger: Marian Hossa. Bonk and Hossa did a lot of cycling in the offensive zone contrary to the average style in the 'Dead Puck' Era. Without Hossa he's been a Bottom-6 forward, really a third liner in terms of talent.
Bonk's size and skillset was a good fit for the clutch and grab era. He was an excellent third liner and a good second liner. Like you said, Hossa made him a first liner.

He must be one of the last #1 centres from Presidents trophy winning teams available.

overpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 03:42 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
Joe Murphy RW

6-0 190 lbs
Drafted 1st overall
1 stanley cup
77 playoff points in 120 playoff games
528 points in 779 games
Tied or 3rd overall in career overtime goal in the playoffs with 4.
had 6 consecutive season of 0,70 or + ppg ( some short due to injuries though )
I think someone already drafted him.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
I think someone already drafted him.
Correct me if I'm wrong jkrx, but I believe that is Reen's bio for Murphy.

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 04:40 PM
BenchBrawl
You love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong jkrx, but I believe that is Reen's bio for Murphy.
I wouldn't call it a bio , but just a few infos on one of my player since I don't really plan on doing lots of bios in this draft anyway.

Old
10-11-2011, 05:03 PM
BenchBrawl
You love it

I understand +/- should be taken with a grain of salt , but wanted to share some stats anyway:

Joe Reekie's +/- stats year after year in order:

+6
+6
+13
+17
+15
+2
+15
+10
+7
+8
+15
+11
+21
+14

Dana Murzyn's +/- stats year after year in order:

+1
+17
+1
+26
+19
+15
+34
+4
+14
+9
+7
+1

Old
10-11-2011, 05:17 PM
seventieslord

VI, what you say about Bonk is true... all I can say is "take a look around!" The last of the true catalysts went two months ago, or more. Everyone that we're selecting now, is guys that played with and complemented these catalysts. It is a matter of who made the most of these opportunities. Bonk was (somehow) the #1 center in a #1 overall team, and has the physicality, size and defensive strength to go with his decent numbers; at the AAA level that is a tantalyzing package.

Last edited by seventieslord: 10-11-2011 at 05:30 PM.
seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Dawson City selects left-winger Derek King.

10-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

This one is potentially a long shot, but he's a guy I've heard quite a bit about, and one I feel comfortable selecting right now. He had the poverty of playing on a few bad teams and some points of his career, and was usually a pretty consistent goaltender.

The Ice Caps will select Goaltender, Jake Forbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander
Games played:
1922-23 NHL 24 (1)
1923-24 NHL 24 (1)
1924-25 NHL 30 (1)
1925-26 NHL 36 (1)
1926-27 NHL 44 (1)

wins:
1920-21 NHL 13 (2)
1924-25 NHL 19 (1)

goals against average:
1920-21 NHL 3.83 (2)
1923-24 NHL 2.75 (3)
1924-25 NHL 1.96 (2)

Quote:
... turned professional in time for the 1919-20 campaign with the Toronto St. Patricks. Backing this young franchise were the likes of Reg Noble, Babe Dye and Corb Denneny. Forbes and this edition of the St. Patricks made it as far as the semifinals in 1921 before being ousted by the powerhouse Ottawa Senators.
http://www.hockey-notes.com/1920_hockey_jakeforbes.html

Quote:
... made over 200 NHL appearances during a pro career that lasted two decades. He was one of the most prominent goalies of the 1920s through his endurance on the ice and his staunch opinions off it.

The Toronto native played amateur hockey with the local Aura Lee and Goodyears clubs before signing as a free agent with the NHL's St. Pats. He played five games late in the 1919-20 season then 20 contests the next year. "Jumpin Jackie" made headlines when he refused to accept the contract submitted by Toronto and was consequently suspended for the entire 1921-22 schedule. After sitting out the year he was traded to the Hamilton Tigers for cash.

Forbes led the NHL in appearances all three years he played in Steeltown. In 1924-25 he recorded six shutouts and topped all NHL netminders with 19 wins. A short time later he was involved in another labour dispute when the Tigers rebelled against their owners. The NHL stepped in and oversaw the transfer of the entire team to New York where they were re-born as the Americans. During his first two seasons there, Forbes led the NHL with 36 then 44 appearances. On December 15, 1925 he worked opposite Georges Vezina of the Canadiens in the first NHL contest played in the Big Apple. Despite the 3-1 score in Montreal's favour, Forbes was one of the game's stars
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...p?player=18512

Here's a great story about the NY Americans franchise with Forbes in it:
Quote:
....Perhaps because they were owned by the biggest bootlegger of his time, the New York Americans were the most marvellously awful team in National Hockey League history.

The trouble with the Americans, they were, well, preoccupied. Hockey was not always their first passion. In New York, Prohibition was in full flower and many of the players did not wish to miss its full bloom. Even half a century after he played goal for them, Jumpin Jakie Forbes frequently shook his head in wonder, recalling some of their exploits.

Once, a dozen years ago, Jake told of his team's arrival in New York. "The first thing I did when I saw the bright lights of Broadway was I noticed the lovely underwear," he remembered, his face alight, eyebrows arched. "Mine was long in the sleeves and legs and woolen and I got into the short silk ones straightaway."

This was in the autumn of 1925. In the spring that year, the players had worn the yellow and black of the Hamilton Tigers. They had finished first in the six-team NHL and they wanted added money for the playoffs. It was refused. They went on strike, were suspended and the Canadiens and Toronto played for the NHL title.

The Hamilton stalemate was broken when a tall, red-faced quiet fellow named Big Bill Dwyer, New York's wealthiest bootlegger, bought them for $80,000, moved them into the new Madison Square Garden at 49th Street and 8th Avenue, decked them in red-white-and-blue star- spangled uniforms and called them the New York Americans.

Dwyer's headquarters was a hotel he owned called the Forrest, half a block from the Garden. Several players were billeted there (this was Dwyer's second mistake), sharing the place with such renowned gang bosses as Dutch Shultz, Legs Diamond and Owney Madden, and with their guys and dolls.

"That's where Damon Runyon got stuff for his columns and books about the mob," Jake recounted once. "He lived at the Forrest with this bosomly blonde who made him walk her little yappy pooch every evening. We used to sit in the lobby and snicker."

Jake thought this attitude was one reason Runyan rarely wrote kindly about hockey. Once, after a game between the Amerks and the Montreal Maroons, he wrote that "the business left me palled." There was applause of a sort for Jake and Montreal's Clint Benedict. "Neither team scored while I was in the building, largely because of the agility of the two goaltenders, who were padded like stuffed sausages."

The inaugural NHL game in New York was played just more than 60 years ago - on Dec. 15, 1925, Jake and the Amerks against Georges Vezina and the Canadiens. A man wrote in the New York Sun: "Montreal's strong and flashy forward line of Howie Morenz, Aurel Joliat and Billy Boucher furnished a combination play that New York's high- priced sextet led by Billy Burch and Bullet Joe Simpson could not solve, and but for the sterling network of Vernon (Jakie) Forbes in the home citadel, Canadiens' winning margin of 3 to 1 might easily have been increased."

Jake's name was Vernor, though it always came out Vernon in the newspapers. He was a stocky chirpy fellow of 5-foot-5 who stayed in hockey perhaps longer than he planned. He told me once of his off- season job as a salesman on commission for a fine-china wholesaler in Toronto.

"I told my boss, a man named McKay, 'If you'll give me $50 a week I'll sign for 10 years.' I was thinking of settling down but he helped me make up my mind in a hurry. 'Are you insane?' he snapped at me. 'The bank manager next door isn't making that kind of money.'" So Jake went back to the Americans, though it was a hard life for their goaltender. "The front office used to announce injuries a lot, but the players were seldom hurt," he recalled. "They'd be drunk for days on end, having a fine old time in speakeasies with dwyer's fellahs and girls and his booze."

The Amazing Amerks are remembered as a team that was more consistent on the road than at home. Under the circumstances, who's amazed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends of Hockey
Netminder Jake Forbes made over 200 NHL appearances during a pro career that lasted two decades. He was one of the most prominent goalies of the 1920s through his endurance on the ice and his staunch opinions off it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times
New York has Jake Forbes to thank for pushing dozens of shots away from the New York net. He picked them out of the air and brushed them off the ice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times
The Pirates kept the puck well in New York's Territory but could not get it past Jake Forbes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evening Tribune
...truly remarkable goaltending of Jake Forbes saved tho New Haven Eagles from defeat

Last edited by Velociraptor: 10-18-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old
10-11-2011, 08:28 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
The Ice Caps will select Goaltender, Jake Forbes
I drafted him as backup on my AA10 team. Last year he didn't get picked until the Single-A level Undrafteds List thread.

Here is the bio I posted two and a half years ago:

Quote:
... a reliable NHL starter for a lousy NHL franchise, at his peak scoring 16 shutouts in a 3-year NHL span, a netminder who began as an OHA star in 1916 and ended up a CAHL all-star in the 1930s.

Jake Forbes, workhorse goaltender

Games played:
1922-23 NHL 24 (1)
1923-24 NHL 24 (1)
1924-25 NHL 30 (1)
1925-26 NHL 36 (1)
1926-27 NHL 44 (1)

wins:
1920-21 NHL 13 (2)
1924-25 NHL 19 (1)

goals against average:
1920-21 NHL 3.83 (2)
1923-24 NHL 2.75 (3)
1924-25 NHL 1.96 (2)

Quote:
... turned professional in time for the 1919-20 campaign with the Toronto St. Patricks. Backing this young franchise were the likes of Reg Noble, Babe Dye and Corb Denneny. Forbes and this edition of the St. Patricks made it as far as the semifinals in 1921 before being ousted by the powerhouse Ottawa Senators.
http://www.hockey-notes.com/1920_hockey_jakeforbes.html

Quote:
... made over 200 NHL appearances during a pro career that lasted two decades. He was one of the most prominent goalies of the 1920s through his endurance on the ice and his staunch opinions off it.

The Toronto native played amateur hockey with the local Aura Lee and Goodyears clubs before signing as a free agent with the NHL's St. Pats. He played five games late in the 1919-20 season then 20 contests the next year. "Jumpin Jackie" made headlines when he refused to accept the contract submitted by Toronto and was consequently suspended for the entire 1921-22 schedule. After sitting out the year he was traded to the Hamilton Tigers for cash.

Forbes led the NHL in appearances all three years he played in Steeltown. In 1924-25 he recorded six shutouts and topped all NHL netminders with 19 wins. A short time later he was involved in another labour dispute when the Tigers rebelled against their owners. The NHL stepped in and oversaw the transfer of the entire team to New York where they were re-born as the Americans. During his first two seasons there, Forbes led the NHL with 36 then 44 appearances. On December 15, 1925 he worked opposite Georges Vezina of the Canadiens in the first NHL contest played in the Big Apple. Despite the 3-1 score in Montreal's favour, Forbes was one of the game's stars
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...p?player=18512

Here's a great story about the NY Americans franchise with Forbes in it:
Quote:
....Perhaps because they were owned by the biggest bootlegger of his time, the New York Americans were the most marvellously awful team in National Hockey League history.

The trouble with the Americans, they were, well, preoccupied. Hockey was not always their first passion. In New York, Prohibition was in full flower and many of the players did not wish to miss its full bloom. Even half a century after he played goal for them, Jumpin Jakie Forbes frequently shook his head in wonder, recalling some of their exploits.

Once, a dozen years ago, Jake told of his team's arrival in New York. "The first thing I did when I saw the bright lights of Broadway was I noticed the lovely underwear," he remembered, his face alight, eyebrows arched. "Mine was long in the sleeves and legs and woolen and I got into the short silk ones straightaway."

This was in the autumn of 1925. In the spring that year, the players had worn the yellow and black of the Hamilton Tigers. They had finished first in the six-team NHL and they wanted added money for the playoffs. It was refused. They went on strike, were suspended and the Canadiens and Toronto played for the NHL title.

The Hamilton stalemate was broken when a tall, red-faced quiet fellow named Big Bill Dwyer, New York's wealthiest bootlegger, bought them for $80,000, moved them into the new Madison Square Garden at 49th Street and 8th Avenue, decked them in red-white-and-blue star- spangled uniforms and called them the New York Americans.

Dwyer's headquarters was a hotel he owned called the Forrest, half a block from the Garden. Several players were billeted there (this was Dwyer's second mistake), sharing the place with such renowned gang bosses as Dutch Shultz, Legs Diamond and Owney Madden, and with their guys and dolls.

"That's where Damon Runyon got stuff for his columns and books about the mob," Jake recounted once. "He lived at the Forrest with this bosomly blonde who made him walk her little yappy pooch every evening. We used to sit in the lobby and snicker."

Jake thought this attitude was one reason Runyan rarely wrote kindly about hockey. Once, after a game between the Amerks and the Montreal Maroons, he wrote that "the business left me palled." There was applause of a sort for Jake and Montreal's Clint Benedict. "Neither team scored while I was in the building, largely because of the agility of the two goaltenders, who were padded like stuffed sausages."

The inaugural NHL game in New York was played just more than 60 years ago - on Dec. 15, 1925, Jake and the Amerks against Georges Vezina and the Canadiens. A man wrote in the New York Sun: "Montreal's strong and flashy forward line of Howie Morenz, Aurel Joliat and Billy Boucher furnished a combination play that New York's high- priced sextet led by Billy Burch and Bullet Joe Simpson could not solve, and but for the sterling network of Vernon (Jakie) Forbes in the home citadel, Canadiens' winning margin of 3 to 1 might easily have been increased."

Jake's name was Vernor, though it always came out Vernon in the newspapers. He was a stocky chirpy fellow of 5-foot-5 who stayed in hockey perhaps longer than he planned. He told me once of his off- season job as a salesman on commission for a fine-china wholesaler in Toronto.

"I told my boss, a man named McKay, 'If you'll give me $50 a week I'll sign for 10 years.' I was thinking of settling down but he helped me make up my mind in a hurry. 'Are you insane?' he snapped at me. 'The bank manager next door isn't making that kind of money.'" So Jake went back to the Americans, though it was a hard life for their goaltender. "The front office used to announce injuries a lot, but the players were seldom hurt," he recalled. "They'd be drunk for days on end, having a fine old time in speakeasies with dwyer's fellahs and girls and his booze."

The Amazing Amerks are remembered as a team that was more consistent on the road than at home. Under the circumstances, who's amazed?
http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...%3Den%26um%3D1

Old
10-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
I drafted him as backup on my AA10 team. Last year he didn't get picked until the Single-A level Undrafteds List thread.

Here is the bio I posted two and a half years ago:
Thanks VI, he seemed pretty interesting and intriguing, and I think he is grossly underrated.

Old
10-11-2011, 09:31 PM
seventieslord

Forbes is a fantastic pick. Best goalie left by far, imo. I would have taken him as a backup earlier than I ever took a backup in a few more rounds. I would have really enjoyed the contrast between the goalie who had pretty good teams and won two cups (collins) and the martyr bad-team-goalie (forbes).

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:07 AM
BenchBrawl
You love it

Just a mini-bio:

Lowell MacDonald LW ( 2nd line )

390 pts ( 180g 210a ) in 506 games
22 pts in 30 playoff games
Top 10 goals: 6th
Top 10 points: 9th
Bill Masterton Trophy Winner in 72-73
All-star games in 73 and 74
Closer look at Macdonald 4 strong seasons with Pittsburgh:

34 goals 75 pts in 78 games +37
43 goals 82 pts in 78 games +17
27 goals 60 pts in 71 games +16
40 goals 73 pts in 69 games +14

He never took more than 24 penalty minutes a year during this 4 years stretch.

Quote:
Playing regularly, MacDonald showed the scoring touch he had exhibited in junior

he joined the Penguins for 1972-73, enjoying an outstanding season and winning the Masterton Trophy for his perseverance and dedication to hockey. But after four strong seasons, he injured his shoulder, and MacDonald struggled through two more painful seasons, retiring after 1977-78.

Old
10-12-2011, 01:14 AM
BenchBrawl
You love it

Mini-bio again:

Joe Reekie D

6-3 220 lbs
13 consecutive years with a positive +/- for a +150 in career on a average-to-bad team.
1326 penalty minutes
902 NHL games

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepelletier
Always underrated in my books, Joe Reekie was one of the best kept secrets in the National Hockey League.

The big, aggressive Reekie would appear in 104 games over 4 years with the Sabres. He was already developing a reputation for an uncanny sense of perfect defensive position that was usually reserved for veterans.

In that time he quietly impressed as a penalty kill regular. His combined +45 rating over three years.

From 1994 to 2002 Reekie served as a top four defender. He was often used against the other team's top players because of his strength and seemingly flawless defensive positioning. He was smart and tough, although that brought inevitable injuries that slowed him. Regardless, he always played with a subtle savvy that I always admired, as well as with a tough and physical, yet clean, presence.

The highlight of Reekie's career came in 1998 when he was a big part of the Capitals march into the Stanley Cup finals

Impressive numbers? No. But every coach in the league wish they had a dependable defender like Joe Reekie on their blue line.

Old
10-12-2011, 01:15 AM
BenchBrawl
You love it

Mini-bio:

Dan Quinn C

48 pts in 65 playoff games
685 pts in 805 games
Managed a 0,85 ppg in career
Prime years:
30 goals 72 pts in 78 games
31 goals 80 pts in 80 games
40 goals 79 pts in 70 games
34 goals 94 pts in 79 games
2 other 60 pts seasons and 2 other 50 pts seasons and 31 pts in 44 games

Quote:
Quinn owned an arsenal of talents - from quick hands to quicker feet, from a good shot to great vision.

Scouts drooled over the possibilities of Quinn's talent but questioned his work ethic. He came off of a 59 goal, 147 point season with the OHL's Belleville Bulls. The potential reward was too tempting.

He was returned to junior in the 1983-84 season - but not for long. After 24 games in which Quinn scored 23 times and assisted on 36 others, the Flames recalled the slick center. He finished the season strongly with the Flames. In 54 games he scored 19 goals and 52 points.

Quinn enjoyed three seasons in Calgary, showing some solid statistical improvements in each season despite playing on a superpower Flames team that was stocked with veterans. By his third year in the league he scored 30 goals and 72 points.

The Flames moved Quinn to Pittsburgh in November of 1986 and got veteran sniper Mike Bullard in return. The move was done on Calgary's part in order to upgrade their immediate chances of winning a championship. Meanwhile in Pittsburgh Quinn was the number 2 center on a team which of course featured the great Mario Lemieux. Quinn put up some good numbers in his stay in the Steel City, even though he rarely played with Mario except on the power plays. In 1987-88 he scored 40 goals including 21 on the power play. In 1988-89 he scored a career high 94 points including 34 goals.

Quinn was very popular among his teammates wherever he went

Old
10-12-2011, 01:15 AM
BenchBrawl
You love it

Mini-bio:

Jude Drouin C

Top 10 assist: 6th
68 pts in 72 playoff games
''Important'' pts seasons: 68 , 56 , 73 , 43 , 54 , 62 , 53

Old
10-12-2011, 01:16 AM
BenchBrawl
You love it

Mini-bio:

Dana Murzyn D

6-2 200 lbs
10 seasons with 100 or + penalty minutes
+138 in career
1 stanley cup

Quote:
Murzyn was still able to transform himself into a valuable commodity for 14 NHL seasons. How did he do that? By playing a hard working, hard hitting, honest game. He did much of the dirty work that make or break teams and that many players wouldn't do themselves. "Hank," as he was affectionately known as, was a punishing hitter. And although he rarely won a fight, he always showed up.

But more importantly he played an integral part in the Calgary Flames first Stanley Cup championship in the 1989 playoffs. Though he scored only 3 assists, Murzyn was definitely an unsung hero.

For seven years, he and Jyrki Lumme formed the top defence pair on the Canucks

Murzyn made a pretty good living by clearing creases and blocking NHL shots. And while the fans may not have noticed or appreciated Hank's efforts, the players certainly did. Wayne Gretzky, for one, is probably happy to see Murzyn go. The Great One admitted on more than one occasion that he doesn't particularly enjoy playing against Murzyn. Murzyn somehow knew how to get under the skin of Gretzky, and wasn't afraid to rough him up a bit either.

Murzyn was a strong contributor in the Canucks 1994 Stanley Cup run as well. He played really well, even scoring 3 big goals

Old
10-12-2011, 01:21 AM
BenchBrawl
You love it

Sorry for the bios but I felt like I didn't give enough infos about every players in the last ATD and MLD.Just wanted to at least post a bit for every one of them.

edit: seems like this place is dead since a couple of weeks , do we really need reenmachine to go on another drunken rampage to keep the audience interested cause my liver is not so down with it anymore ok?!

edit: to my credit , I also tried to draft the Montreal Forum with my ATD last pick , which is , whatever VanIslander says , an awesome accomplishment.

Last edited by BenchBrawl: 10-12-2011 at 01:58 AM.
Old
10-12-2011, 11:10 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
HC Davos selects RW Ales Hemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyForecaster
ASSETS: Has excellent instincts and offensive creativity. Owns an effortless skating stride and incredible puck skills. Possesses outstanding playmaking ability.
FLAWS: Doesn't shoot the puck enough, even when in prime scoring position. Isn't physically strong enough to dominate in the corners. Lacks forechecking skills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendsofHockey
Ales Hemsky was born August 13, 1983 in Pardubice, Czech Republic. The 1st choice, 13th overall selection of the Edmonton Oilers in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft, Hemsky split the 1999-00 season with HC Pardubice-Jr and HC Pardubice of the Czech Republic League before joining the QMJHL's Hull Olympiques in 2000-01.

An offensively gifted player, Hemsky spent two seasons with the Olympiques registering 63 goals and 197 points before making his NHL debut with the Oilers in 2002-03. In his first full season in the NHL, Hemsky tallied six goals and 24 assists for 30 points, before improving on those totals in 2003-04.

During the NHL lockout in 2004-05 Hemsky played 47 games for his hometown HC Moeller Pardubice of the Czech Republic Extraleague and registered 31 points. While competing with Pardubice Hemsky was named playoff MVP as the club won the league championship.

In the 2005-06 season, Hemsky returned to the Oilers and blossomed offensively scoring a career high and team leading 77 points. His offensive contribution toward the end of the regular season helped the Edmonton Oilers sneak into the 2006 NHL playoffs. Hemsky and the Oilers took the league by surprise defeating each divisional champion en route to the Stanley Cup Finals. However, in the final round of the playoffs the Oilers would finish one win short of thier goal. Hemsky tallied five game winning goals during the 2006 playoffs in what would be his breakout season with the Oilers.
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...4e34c93&k=2821
Quote:
The Oilers winger had been walloped by Francois Beauchemin in the second period of the opening game and, as has been the case before with Hemsky, he wasn't intimidated; just irked enough to inflict his own damage in what turned out to be a 3-1 Edmonton victory.

"It's almost like you don't notice him for the first period, then all of a sudden he gets smoked or something happens and he gets a little frustrated and the next thing you know, he takes the game over," said teammate Shawn Horcoff.

"To come back like that can demoralize the other team. They put a lick on one of our best players with a huge hit, and he came back better than ever."

"He was rattled, no question," said coach Craig MacTavish. "That was a tough hit to take, but he's solid and I think he surprises guys with his strength. He's got a low centre of gravity, some size, and he came back. And when he gets mad, he finishes checks very aggressively."

He also finished off a power play by picking the puck out of the air and tapping it by Ilya Bryzgalov -- a well executed single from a right-handed shooter who never did play baseball.

"Not even a big celebration," said general manager Kevin Lowe. "It was like he was knocking one in at practice."

"He's got an edge to him," Lowe continued, "and I think the more success he has, the better the player he is going to become. He puts a lot of pressure on himself."

The next step for Hemsky, who now has the responsibility of captaining the power play, will be to build his strength and his endurance but in the meantime, he has proven that he won't let any one push him around.
We figure he should be an ideal playmaking counterpart for Seibert on his line.

Last edited by DaveG: 10-12-2011 at 11:31 AM.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:14 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

To make up yesterday's lost pick Garnish selects Left Winger Dave Hunter to add grit to the second line.

Some stats on Hunter:

-323 Points in 746 Games
-3 time Stanley Cup Champ
-Solid role player

For more on Hunter click the following link:

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=13041

With today's pick Garnish selects Defenseman Tom Reid to have someone who is a purely defensive defenseman.

http://tomreidshockeycitypub.com/images/tom1.jpg

Some stats on Reid:

-A true defensive defenseman
-130 points in 701 games

For more on Reid click the following link:

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=14102

Last edited by tony d: 10-12-2011 at 11:24 AM.
tony d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:17 AM
vecens24

I'm trying to internally debate whether or not I think Hemsky's significant injury problems outweigh his production. He's probably one of the best playmaking wingers available though. I definitely think you're going to need a good backup option for the top 6 too though.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote