HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Charlie Coyle

Old
03-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Dr Jan Itor

vCash: 500
So if Granlund sticks as a center, where should Coyle play? 3rd line center (as a sort-of Jordan Staal-lite) or on one of Koivu/Granlund's RW?

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:36 PM
GM17*

BU had him on wing, right?
Saint John has him on wing.

I think people are seeing him as a winger, though I think he + Phillips should swap.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Dr Jan Itor

I remember him as a C on BU. Could be mistaken. We have a lot of guys right now that could play either, so I think it will just be a matter of who wins the #3C job between Larsson/Coyle/Phillips/maybe Haula

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
He looks really solid as a winger. What did he play at the World Juniors?

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:06 PM
ponder

Edit: oops, double post

Last edited by ponder: 03-24-2012 at 11:15 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:10 PM
ponder

Bumpity bump. Coyle has looked AMAZING recently, especially in the playoffs. Watched game 1 of Saint John/Cape Breton, and he was easily the most dominant player on either team IMO, Cape Breton could not get the puck off him at all, he was doing whatever he wanted on the ice. I think he makes the Wild easily out of camp next year, no AHL for this kid. Don't see why people are saying things like:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
He's a garbage man with better all around ability than many garbage men.
Because every time I've watched Saint John he's looked really talented, not at all a garbage man, but a big skilled forward who really controls the puck, skates well too and has a generally high skill level for a big kid. The Blake Wheeler comparison is pretty good, or maybe James Neal.

Old
03-24-2012, 11:11 PM
Tips Fedorov

I just don't see it, what makes him so special? His numbers aren't that amazing, yet I see people call him a top 10 prospect all the time.

Tips Fedorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:19 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarnkrok View Post
I just don't see it, what makes him so special? His numbers aren't that amazing, yet I see people call him a top 10 prospect all the time.
Have you watched him play? Big, fast, handles the puck well, nice shot, high skill level, just looks like quite a good prospect all around. College numbers are often not crazy, and hard to judge, but how have his QMJHL numbers been "not that amazing"?
  • 15 goals, 38 points, +23 in 23 regular season games
  • 6 goals, 11 points, +9 in 2 playoff games
Sure, he's on a powerhouse team in Saint John, but if those aren't amazing numbers, what are?

Old
03-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Tips Fedorov

Ok, Ignoring the QMJHL numbers. He's put up similar numbers to Riley Sheahan in college, Sheahan's better defensively, same age, but Sheahan's potential is seen as a third line center. Where as everyone thinks Coyle will be a top player in the NHL.

Tips Fedorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Hutton
2014-20 RIP Canucks

vCash: 50
Even though there are prospects with comparable stats not in the, let's say top 50, that doesn't mean his stats doesn't reflect why he's a top 10 prospect amongst other things.

The main reason at least for me why he will continue to be (and rightfully) hyped up, aside from watching him, is because of the fact that several GMs have identified him as a star prospect, one acquired him and another would have attempted to

Right now he's absolutely dominant

Hutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:38 PM
ponder

Quote:
Ok, Ignoring the QMJHL numbers. He's put up similar numbers to Riley Sheahan in college, Sheahan's better defensively, same age, but Sheahan's potential is seen as a third line center. Where as everyone thinks Coyle will be a top player in the NHL.
Scouting is about a LOT more than numbers, hence picks like Lucic in the 2nd round, or the countless high scoring juniors players who don't even get drafted. It's not even like Coyle and Sheahan played on the same team, every NCAA team is different, especially in their willingness to give major minutes/responsibility to younger players. Besides, in his freshman season Coyle had 26 points for BU, that's pretty good for a BU freshman, he was just 2 points behind the #2 scorer on the team, and 8 points behind the #1 scorer. In his 2nd season he only played 16 games before leaving for the Q, but he was just below 1 PPG. Obviously people like him because of his size, speed, hands, shot, etc., and he's really showing off all those tools now in the Q.

Old
03-25-2012, 01:03 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Are you really comparing Riley Sheahan to Charlie Coyle?

Prospects aren't just numbers. If they were guys like Reilly Smith would be top 10 prospects in the NHL.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 02:54 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Are you really comparing Riley Sheahan to Charlie Coyle?

Prospects aren't just numbers. If they were guys like Reilly Smith would be top 10 prospects in the NHL.
Where did Reilly Smith come from? He's actually an extremely underrated prospect, if he was drafted by the Leafs people would never shut up about him on these boards.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 03:50 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Where did Reilly Smith come from? He's actually an extremely underrated prospect, if he was drafted by the Leafs people would never shut up about him on these boards.
Just saying...regarding points and prospects.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:36 AM
GM17*

Garbage man wasn't meant to be pejorative. He's a player who goes deep on forecheck and positions himself well in front of the net and fights for loose pucks for the tap in.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:53 AM
Toastman

I see him more as a player who needs a skilled center to produce. I think he will be a second liner

Toastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:20 AM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
again not sure why people just scout a player based on numbers only...the guy is not a top 10 prospect of all time though LOL.......Coyle is going to be a big time NHL player, he has great size and amazing strength, very physical and hits hard, plays gritty and is always buzzing around the net, he is a smooth and slick skater with great speed and especially for his size he skates like a smaller player but he is so smooth on his skates and excellent speed...great hands and puck protection, he is able to puck handle into traffic, can handle the puck at high speed, great too at protecting the puck and is very strong on the puck...excellent shooting ability, great hands around the net too...very good passing ability, has good vision and as good of a scorer he is, he is just as good as a playmaker...

so never look at points....I know talking to him after one of his games, I asked him what he thought of the difference of the two leagues...he said he likes the QMJHL right now he finds it more skilled than NCAA, he likes the schedeule more he said, he was joking and said the playoffs have just as many games as there NCAA regualr season...he I think he has a bitter taste in his mouth from NCAA....but he is a super nice and great guy off the ice as well...the guy is the total package, I think if that draft was re-done he would be a top 10 pick maybe higher in the draft.

for above to the guy who thinks he needs a skilled center to be good, well that could be said for any winger, but more so than not he is the skill on his line creating everything out there, I think the guy has potential to be a 1st line player in the NHL and be a point per game player.

scoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:04 AM
GoBs

Quote:
I watched him at BU he was awful. He was awful at the world jrs this year as well. One of the most overrated prospects on these boards.

He couldn't handle NCAA so he jumped ship to dominate 17-18 year olds only because he is bigger then them. Glad he left BU they were better without him.

GoBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:14 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
I'm not terribly impressed with him. He is big, rangy and has really nice hands in tight with above average speed. I see Blake Wheeler in him.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:19 AM
dangsLITE

He's kind of a Chris Kreider type. They have pretty different skill sets, but they both have all the tools you need to be a star. It's just a matter of seeing how they can translate it to the next level.

dangsLITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:22 AM
Han Solo
Laugh it up, fuzball

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBs View Post
I watched him at BU he was awful. He was awful at the world jrs this year as well. One of the most overrated prospects on these boards.

He couldn't handle NCAA so he jumped ship to dominate 17-18 year olds only because he is bigger then them. Glad he left BU they were better without him.
He had the flu the entire tournament. When he came to sj, he had to take a couple days off so he could recoup

Han Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:43 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBs View Post

come on, lets not get carried away here. he wasnt awful at BU, and he certainly wasnt awful at the WJC. he was sick for the WJC and it really hurt his play and that of the teams.

as for him dominating 17-18 year olds, Jack Parker, is that you? half of his own team is 19-20 years old, as well as the league. Parker made a comment out of anger and rightfully so, but Coyle isnt beating up on a bunch of 17 year olds out there, there are plenty of 20 year olds in the league and above.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:45 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
come on, lets not get carried away here. he wasnt awful at BU, and he certainly wasnt awful at the WJC. he was sick for the WJC and it really hurt his play and that of the teams.

as for him dominating 17-18 year olds, Jack Parker, is that you? half of his own team is 19-20 years old, as well as the league. Parker made a comment out of anger and rightfully so, but Coyle isnt beating up on a bunch of 17 year olds out there, there are plenty of 20 year olds in the league and above.
To be fair, Cape Breton has a terrible terrible defense. Leduc is on the top pair, he is lucky to be a 3rd pair in the QMJHL.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:50 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
To be fair, Cape Breton has a terrible terrible defense. Leduc is on the top pair, he is lucky to be a 3rd pair in the QMJHL.
never said they were a top flight team, but there are bottom feeders in every league the NCAA including.

just speaking on the overall depth and age of the Q which a lot of people really dont understand. there are plenty of young kids in the CHL, that is just the way it is and has been for a long long time. doesnt seem to hurt the development of soo many other players that have made it out of the Q.

Old
03-25-2012, 09:51 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

and before this gets into a NCAA vs CHL debate for the 1,000 time...I love the NCAA and I am always upset when kids bolt from college teams. But, I do love the CHL schedule as it does prepare players for a more professional schedule which seems to be an issue for college kids that do turn pro...by the second half of the year, they run out of gas.