HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Charlie Coyle

Old
03-25-2012, 10:06 AM
BLBarmada

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBs View Post
I watched him at BU he was awful. He was awful at the world jrs this year as well. One of the most overrated prospects on these boards.

He couldn't handle NCAA so he jumped ship to dominate 17-18 year olds only because he is bigger then them. Glad he left BU they were better without him.

Well aren't you bitter....

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 10:45 AM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
I'm not terribly impressed with him. He is big, rangy and has really nice hands in tight with above average speed. I see Blake Wheeler in him.
not sure how you couldn't be impressed with him, im sure you watched him in Halifax where he was wayyyy better than Huberdeau....and not sure if you watched him in Saint John but again his game was physical and skilled, he is smarter than Wheeler? So what is it about his game you do not think will translate?

scoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 10:49 AM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
I watched him at BU he was awful. He was awful at the world jrs this year as well. One of the most overrated prospects on these boards.

He couldn't handle NCAA so he jumped ship to dominate 17-18 year olds only because he is bigger then them. Glad he left BU they were better without him.
good for you...evaluating a prospect is more than emotion which you show a lot of towards him leaving BU...I watched him for BU and he was very very impressive for a 19 year old, so not sure the games you saw of him but he was one of BU's best this year....so guess your missing something on this prospect because he will be a good NHL player.

Old
03-25-2012, 10:55 AM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Where did Reilly Smith come from? He's actually an extremely underrated prospect, if he was drafted by the Leafs people would never shut up about him on these boards.
Reilly Smith is underrated. He has great skills with the puck. Uses his body well when handling the puck.

UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Not sure what's not to like about Coyle. Big, good skater, very good playmaker, and excellent hands. He's also manages the offense zone very well. I think his game translates very well to the pros. Current state Wheeler seems like an apt comparison, and who wouldn't want him?

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 10:59 AM
ponder

Also, I don't think comparisons to Wheeler should be seen as a negative, Wheeler is a very good player, he's matured into a legit 1st line winger. If Coyle can turn into a smarter, more physical, but not as tall Wheeler, he'd be awesome. Comparisons can only go so far, every player is unique, but Coyle has really impressed me in the Q, when I watch Saint John he often looks like the best player on the team, which is saying a lot for a team with Huberdeau, Phillips, Jurco, Gauthier, Beaulieu, etc.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 11:06 AM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:

Super input. Go sing the BU fight song and count to 10

Old
03-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
good for you...evaluating a prospect is more than emotion which you show a lot of towards him leaving BU...I watched him for BU and he was very very impressive for a 19 year old, so not sure the games you saw of him but he was one of BU's best this year....so guess your missing something on this prospect because he will be a good NHL player.
I seen him in Cape Breton and will get a chance to see him up close again in games 3 and 4. I just don't see awe inspiring skills that will make him a top flight NHL'er. That's not to say carving a 50-60 point niche isn't good. When better players are able to take away his time and space, we will see what he creates. In the QMJHL, there is a lot of time and space to operate.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 11:18 AM
Nikita Filatov

Wild fans should be pretty happy if he can turn into another Blake wheeler really, would be a leading scorer on their team in fact....

Nikita Filatov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 12:09 PM
GoBs

Quote:
One of BU's best players, you must not have watched too many games. I am just sick of seeing these threads and acting like the kid is some superstar talent. He will top out as a third liner.

Lot of blind love for the kids, I guarantee it the majority of you never saw him play outiside of the world JRs.

GoBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 12:37 PM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:
again not sure why people just scout a player based on numbers only...the guy is not a top 10 prospect of all time though LOL.......Coyle is going to be a big time NHL player, he has great size and amazing strength, very physical and hits hard, plays gritty and is always buzzing around the net, he is a smooth and slick skater with great speed and especially for his size he skates like a smaller player but he is so smooth on his skates and excellent speed...great hands and puck protection, he is able to puck handle into traffic, can handle the puck at high speed, great too at protecting the puck and is very strong on the puck...excellent shooting ability, great hands around the net too...very good passing ability, has good vision and as good of a scorer he is, he is just as good as a playmaker...

so never look at points....I know talking to him after one of his games, I asked him what he thought of the difference of the two leagues...he said he likes the QMJHL right now he finds it more skilled than NCAA, he likes the schedeule more he said, he was joking and said the playoffs have just as many games as there NCAA regualr season...he I think he has a bitter taste in his mouth from NCAA....but he is a super nice and great guy off the ice as well...the guy is the total package, I think if that draft was re-done he would be a top 10 pick maybe higher in the draft.

for above to the guy who thinks he needs a skilled center to be good, well that could be said for any winger, but more so than not he is the skill on his line creating everything out there, I think the guy has potential to be a 1st line player in the NHL and be a point per game player.
Saw the replay of the St Johns game on NHL network, and I thought he looked. Huberdeau looked good but did agree that Coyle looked better.

I swear I go back and forth every week on which is better for a prospect (D1 vs Maj Jr) I read something like this and think to myself "Yes, playing pro style schedule, better offensive players, yadda yadda yadda, Maj Jr is better" but then I read something about college hockey and I think "More practice/conditioning/skill time during the week, older players across the board, yadda yadda yadda, D1 is better"

Old
03-25-2012, 12:40 PM
GM17*

I didn't really think he outplayed Huberdeau in Halifax, but that's just me.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 12:58 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
I seen him in Cape Breton and will get a chance to see him up close again in games 3 and 4. I just don't see awe inspiring skills that will make him a top flight NHL'er. That's not to say carving a 50-60 point niche isn't good. When better players are able to take away his time and space, we will see what he creates. In the QMJHL, there is a lot of time and space to operate.
personally for me his upside imo is higher than that...I think a 70 to 80 point player...probably 30 point man next year in his rookie year...but he is way more physical than Wheeler and smarter imo at the same age.

Old
03-25-2012, 12:59 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
One of BU's best players, you must not have watched too many games. I am just sick of seeing these threads and acting like the kid is some superstar talent. He will top out as a third liner.

Lot of blind love for the kids, I guarantee it the majority of you never saw him play outiside of the world JRs.
well just wait and see...your missing something with this kid then if you do not think he is good.

Old
03-25-2012, 01:13 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Are you really comparing Riley Sheahan to Charlie Coyle?

Prospects aren't just numbers. If they were guys like Reilly Smith would be top 10 prospects in the NHL.
Copmparing a higher draft pick in the same draft to a lower pick in the same draft? I also dont get the Coyle hype, hes a good prospect but people are in love with the guy.

Sheahan is a great comparison, hes a MUCH better defensive player, gets stuck anchoring the second line at notre dame even though hes the best center just to balance the lines out, and put up extremely comparable numbers to Coyle while in college. Coyle had a pretty bad WJC this year as well. The fact that youre acting like Coyle has done something to separate himself from Sheahan and its a complete idiotic statement to compare them shows how overrated Coyle has become.

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 03:16 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Uh, Sheahan was taken before Coyle in the draft.

Coyle has done a few things to separate himself. But I really see a lot of Mikko Koivu in the kid. Big, good puck protection. Might not be a huge goal scorer in the NHL but can assist. He's a bit faster and a bit more physical than Koivu.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 04:28 PM
Tips Fedorov

Everything all of you have said about Coyle could be said about Sheahan as well.

Quote:
Sheahan has all the skills necessary to be a power forward type player. He possesses excellent shooting and playmaking ability. His large frame allows him to hold onto the puck for extended periods of time. Is an all-around excellent prospect, showing himself to be more than capable of playing defensive hockey as well.
Quote:
Went to college with a reputation for being a highly-skilled offensive player … Showed he could play in any situation and thrive … Described in The Hockey News by one scout as the “most complete player in the 2010 draft” … Mature two-way game already … Outstanding hockey sense in all three zones … Solid size and strength … Good stick skills and soft hands … Capable of beating defenders 1-on-1 … May have only scratched the surface of his scoring potential … Has the raw tools to become an impact player at the NCAA level and perhaps beyond … Drives through traffic and uses his impressive size to protect the puck … Slightly more of a playmaker than a scorer.
I'm not saying Sheahan is better, or even quite as good as him. But Sheahan probably wouldn't even crack anyone on here's top 100 list, while Coyle would probably be top 10.

Tips Fedorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 05:04 PM
Kevin Forbes

Two things I've noticed with Coyle:

1. His defensive play. Far more polished and advanced than what is normally seen in major junior for forwards. He's very good at positioning, identifying opportunities, getting himself into lanes, etc. I knew he would have the offensive acumen to play with Saint John's top guns, but his ability in his own end has really surprised me.

2. His physical maturity. In terms of his physical development compared to opposing players, it is like a man against boys. Wild fans might not like this analogy, but I remember in the fall of 2007, watching James Sheppard play pre-season major junior before earning a spot in Minnesota and physically, he was simply on another level. That's what I see here with Coyle: his strength, ability to take a hit to make a play, ability to make a hit.

03-25-2012, 05:27 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post

1. His defensive play. Far more polished and advanced than what is normally seen in major junior for forwards. He's very good at positioning, identifying opportunities, getting himself into lanes, etc. I knew he would have the offensive acumen to play with Saint John's top guns, but his ability in his own end has really surprised me.

2. His physical maturity. In terms of his physical development compared to opposing players, it is like a man against boys. Wild fans might not like this analogy, but I remember in the fall of 2007, watching James Sheppard play pre-season major junior before earning a spot in Minnesota and physically, he was simply on another level. That's what I see here with Coyle: his strength, ability to take a hit to make a play, ability to make a hit.
I agree with you on those two points...he is a better skater than James Sheppard...I still think Sheppard would have turned out but Minnesota rushed him too fast...Sheppard's whole game dependent on power and strength and out powering the opposing team, in the NHL he could not dominate like he did in junior, Minnesota should have had him play another year QMJHL and then a year in the AHL to get ready, I think they rushed him and he never turned out yet because of that, there is still time though........but I agree with you on those 2 points with Coyle....add to that his skating, hockey IQ, and skill set.

Old
03-25-2012, 05:32 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

BTW; I wouldn't be surprised if Sheahan sees a jump in the rankings but it seems Coyle is a little more ready for the NHL and that might be why he's jumping up in the ranking.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 06:34 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
BTW; I wouldn't be surprised if Sheahan sees a jump in the rankings but it seems Coyle is a little more ready for the NHL and that might be why he's jumping up in the ranking.
Hes jumping up because he went to a powerhouse team where all the top forwards rack up ridiculous amounts of points.

More ready for the NHL? Thats debatable. Sheahan is a bit bigger, better defensively noticeably and in the NCAA they put up the same point totals. I do think that with Sheahan out of Notre Dame he will see his stock rise a bit because he wasnt used in a scoring role but he looks like a second or third liner whereas Coyle gets called a top 10 prospect.

I still just dont see how he gets that hype, very good prospect but that high is ridiculous.

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:10 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post

Now that's just mean.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:16 PM
Dampland

vCash: 50
ANOTHER James Sheppard? well crap, then lets just trade Coyle now for Sean Avery or wade redden or a bag of used pucks.

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:29 PM
Kevin Forbes

I know you're mainly joking, but when speaking of Sheppard, I'm only talking about his strength and size. He was, as I said, a man against boys at this level prior to the 2007-08 season.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:45 PM
ponder

I must say, I don't see how Wings fans thinking Sheahan is underrated makes Coyle overrated, or how it has anything to do with Coyle at all. I assume there's a different thread to discuss Sheahan?

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote