HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PS #7 - 10.03.2011 | New York Rangers @ EV Zug | 2:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Old
10-03-2011, 05:50 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Just as I thought. Torts knows what he has in Avery and was giving Christensen another chance to distinguish himself.

I think the "different situations" he was referring to is playing Christensen in a 4th line role on Prust's line. Yesterday he centered Feds & Prust and today he centered Boyle and Prust. That line looks a whole lot better with Feds-Boyle-Prust and Christensen having no part of it.
That's exactly what I guessed earlier. He was giving Christensen one last shot to show him something.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 500
Well, if that was EC's last game as a Ranger... good luck, we appreciate the occasional nice goals, and the shootout wins.

Our unbeatable shootout lineup of EC, Wolski, Zuccarello is at an end.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 05:58 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I'm curious to see how Zuccarello does in the shootout this year. He has that one move that worked the first four times, but then failed each time after.

Old
10-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
Well, if that was EC's last game as a Ranger... good luck, we appreciate the occasional nice goals, and the shootout wins.

Our unbeatable shootout lineup of EC, Wolski, Zuccarello is at an end.
Yes, but now our unbeatable shootout lineup of Richards, Wolski, Zuccarello rises.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 06:00 PM
EpicDing
The Fellowship

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
2-1 and 8-4. Two different things...
Same proportion

EpicDing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'm curious to see how Zuccarello does in the shootout this year. He has that one move that worked the first four times, but then failed each time after.
Or they should replace him with Anisimov and tell AA just to skate up to the circle and roof it every time. Goalies seem to have a problem with that one.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 06:08 PM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He has more moves though, and he's used them in the Norwegian league and the SEL. If he's with the big club for the season, I suppose we'll see some of them.

Btw, he did go for a five hole wrist shot that almost went in, in one of the SO's last year (on Fleury, I think), so he actually tried more than one move .

SixGoalieSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Chimp

Quote:
His streak came to an end because he stopped doing his special move. Lundqvist has been quoted saying he knows the move will be coming in practice, but Zuke is doing it so well, it is still a pain in the ass to stop it. And if you're too quick towards the right post, you expose other areas that you shouldn't.

Zuke will be fine.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
Dont think the Swiss leauge is much behind SEL etc, perhaps there are fewer teams that can compete (less parity between teams). It's hard to say.

The result today is probably not a result that would occur that often, but every team lays an egg sometimes, in particular if the legs arent there.
Ranking the Euro leagues, like you say, is something I'm glad I don't have to do.
I would 2nd the idea that because the Swiss league has fewer teams, the money is better. But, just like the KHL yields a better paycheck than the NHL, it doesn't mean it has the better talent or is more competetive.

I also think that the Swedish and maybe the Finnish leagues are better scouted than the Swiss league, and I might go so far as to say that the SEL is the most scouted league in Europe for the moment (largely due to Sweden's recent U-20 success, and the Russians being hesitant about coming over these days). As such, you find that many top Swedish teams from one year get picked apart by the NHL & the KHL, and find themselves be mediocre or crash into a mayhem with relegation threats on their necks as opposed to being contenders. It's like an inverted draft!

The point being, it's hard to say from one year to another who the strong teams are in the SEL, what the parity might be from top to bottom, and how any given team in the SEL stacks up against any other given team from a different league.

Too bad they didn't/don't play all the Euro tournaments (Champions league & Euro Trophy) in the end of each season, as a play-off extension to the domestic leagues if you will.

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
His streak came to an end because he stopped doing his special move. Lundqvist has been quoted saying he knows the move will be coming in practice, but Zuke is doing it so well, it is still a pain in the ass to stop it. And if you're too quick towards the right post, you expose other areas that you shouldn't.

Zuke will be fine.
He needs to call a play-action

If he runs the ball enough (do other moves), he can then run the play-action (the Zuke move) and it will work because the defense (goalie) isn't expecting it

Old
10-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Ovens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
Or they should replace him with Anisimov and tell AA just to skate up to the circle and roof it every time. Goalies seem to have a problem with that one.
Artem had a sick shootout move when he was in Hartford that he really does not use now he's on the big team.

Ovens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 06:20 PM
BrianLeetch2

Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
My reaction? Oh well.

The Rangers are tired and Zug was hungry. It means nothing. Do you honestly believe that the Rangers aren't the better team? Do you honestly believe that this is in any way an indication of how the Rangers will do this season?

Step back from the ledge please.
Exactly my feeling.....I wouldnt look to much into any of these games on the big ice

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 06:21 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

This move will work just fine

Old
10-03-2011, 06:30 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLeetch2 View Post
Exactly my feeling.....I wouldnt look to much into any of these games on the big ice
I think it's a pretty damn good indication of how our defense will look without Staal and Sauer, ******. We've had a pretty bad preseason as far as defense goes and it wasn't just this game.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 06:31 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Only the Rangers. There's always something. They always find a way to make you face palm. Losing sucks, but losing 8-4 is embarrassing.

Congrats to Zug, I now have a favorite Swiss team. They deserved this win 100%.

It's ridiculous we have to deal with this ******** for 3 more years.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Lehtz

Send a message via MSN to Lehtz
Well, I think this game just calls for this kind of surprise. Rangers already playing 3 games in europe before and season starting soon must not have had much interest tonight. It does not exactly help that they can only loose in a game like this, since anyone expect them to win anyway, whereas for Swiss team can only win, since noone expect them to win anyway. So as result other team comes to challenge other team as well as they can while being underdog and other just comes to play because they must play yet another game against some random euroteam, though season is starting soon and they couldn't care less to play this game really. So which one you think will win, really?

Lehtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 06:34 PM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribban View Post
Ranking the Euro leagues, like you say, is something I'm glad I don't have to do.
I would 2nd the idea that because the Swiss league has fewer teams, the money is better. But, just like the KHL yields a better paycheck than the NHL, it doesn't mean it has the better talent or is more competetive.

I also think that the Swedish and maybe the Finnish leagues are better scouted than the Swiss league, and I might go so far as to say that the SEL is the most scouted league in Europe for the moment (largely due to Sweden's recent U-20 success, and the Russians being hesitant about coming over these days). As such, you find that many top Swedish teams from one year get picked apart by the NHL & the KHL, and find themselves be mediocre or crash into a mayhem with relegation threats on their necks as opposed to being contenders. It's like an inverted draft!

The point being, it's hard to say from one year to another who the strong teams are in the SEL, what the parity might be from top to bottom, and how any given team in the SEL stacks up against any other given team from a different league.

Too bad they didn't/don't play all the Euro tournaments (Champions league & Euro Trophy) in the end of each season, as a play-off extension to the domestic leagues if you will.
NLA has 12 teams ... like Elitserien !!

Sweden and Finland are certainly more scouted ... which is also good because you get these players back when they are old with plenty of experience. Not necessarily the intuitive effect of having less talent. Having less raw talent ... yes. But you catch up later.

I grant you that certainly the last NLA teams are inferior to the last SEL teams. Yet over years ... the difference in points between 1st and last or more accurately ... to eliminate extreme situation ... the difference in points between 2+3 and 10+11 is shrinking... pointing out higher level of competitivity in NLA. So a convergeance is in sight.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 06:37 PM
WayneBruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
I didn't watch the game, but what some of you need to understand is that the overall skill difference between your average Swiss/Swedish/Russian league player and your average NHLer is not all that big. Just because you've never heard of a guy doesn't mean he's not a really good player. It's really not a concern to me that a tired, unmotivated Ranger team lost this game.
100% agree. I didn´t watch this but i saw the Frolunda game, and that could easily have been a loss as well if Frolunda had been more effective.

WayneBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 06:42 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
I think it's a pretty damn good indication of how our defense will look without Staal and Sauer, ******. We've had a pretty bad preseason as far as defense goes and it wasn't just this game.
Bickel, Bell and Eminger are all pretty slow. That's a huge problem on a larger ice surface, playing against quick European teams. That issue will be mitigated to some degree when we switch back to NHL-sized rinks.

Old
10-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Black Hawk 1926

Send a message via ICQ to Black Hawk 1926
Just got home from the game. The atmosphere in there was amazing. The whole Rangers squad was sitting 2 rows behind us. Avery actually looked pretty banged up and Sather was chewing his cigar faster and faster as the game progressed.

As a EVZ supporter, this was one of the best hockey evenings I've ever experienced. Doesen't really matter if the Rangers weren't giving their all. Zug scored friggin 8 (yes 8!!) goals against the Blueshirts. I still can't belive it! What a night!

Thanks Rangers for giving Zug this opportunity. This will sure boost their confidence for the rest of the season.

Have a good season Rangers! Hope to see you in the finals...

Black Hawk 1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 06:47 PM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlamov71 View Post
100% agree. I didn´t watch this but i saw the Frolunda game, and that could easily have been a loss as well if Frolunda had been more effective.
I am impressed by the number of excuses i hear when even the players don't support them ... !!

I heard things like the NYR being tired ... that players in interviews denied entirely !!!

Zug had 3 games in 4 days against top swiss teams !! one finished 7-7 !! and the other they won 4-0. They may also be tired !!

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Nosferatos

what size is the rink when we play Kings?

Nosferatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 06:52 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
Defending on the big ice is a lot different than defending on NHL ice. We barely threw the body in this game and didn't do much to slow Zug down.

And do you really think Torts and Sully were matching lines/pairs? Do you think there was any kind of plan about who to contain on the other team?

It's a meaningless preseason game against a team that cared about winning much more than we did.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 06:52 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatos View Post
what size is the rink when we play Kings?
North American-regulation sized rink.

10-03-2011, 06:53 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Bickel, Bell and Eminger are all pretty slow. That's a huge problem on a larger ice surface, playing against quick European teams. That issue will be mitigated to some degree when we switch back to NHL-sized rinks.
Very true. I remember seeing one of our defenseman skating backwards slowly as hell and the Zug forward just whipped around him. Our defenseman then turned around and couldn't even catch him skating forward. We were out-skated this game by FAR.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote