HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

The Official Hollywood Top 34 ... 2012 Edition

Old
12-12-2011, 05:51 PM
northvanman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
OFFICIAL HOLLYWOOD TOP 34 – DECEMBER 11, 2011 – MID-TERM BREAK

Lakehead could also move up. So far their schedule has been unbelievably soft. They have played 12 gams against teams ranked from 26th to 33rd.

[/SIZE][/FONT]
It is really difficult to read the OUA right now. In the east, McGill is definately not as good as they were last year, but they keep winning. UQTR, Nip, and Carleton are all good but inconsistent. Ottawa is on the rise. In the west, Western is a lot like they were last year, but are weaker in net - I think they are vulnerable. Waterloo is decent, but they can't beat Western. Lakehead seems to be developing into a very strong team and may in fact be the best team in the league, especially once they get their injured players back. They have four games against Western in the second half and that will tell us a lot.

northvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
Hi Holly, how are you? Hope things in the Peg are well and that you and your family are doing OK. Don't know if you noticed but you placed the Banjo Mutts higher than the Squirrels? You do realize that this will not sit well with your audience? They may not say anything but they certainly will be making little buffalo dolls with the word Holly on them and sticking pins in it. Right? You know this, huh? Take it from a PID fan, that Squirrel magic is some real tough as$ $h!t to break if you get cursed with it. I'll say a prayer for you, OK?
Squirrels are no threat to a Herd of Bison. UNB and Sask have been 1-2 for a while and it seems to me that UNB is resting on their laurels whilst Sask has been moving forward. In pre-season everybody was touting Alberta-Calgary for top of the CW, but now one has to say it looks like Sask-Manitoba. Meanwhile, UNB have not been the juggernaut they have been. I bet most AUS fans could see them losing a semi-final series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
im assuming it was the 2 great
games STU had with UNB that probably made them drop. McGill at 8 is also interesting! What was the logic in that? They could only beat a shorthanded RMC 3-2.

PS not to be nitpicky, but RMC beat UOIT, shouldnt that vault us ahead of them? haha
RMC started much better than usual whilst UOIT has been sliding downafter a promising pre-season. Maybe the race for #33 will generate some 2nd half excitement in the new year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northvanman View Post
It is really difficult to read the OUA right now. In the east, McGill is definately not as good as they were last year, but they keep winning. UQTR, Nip, and Carleton are all good but inconsistent. Ottawa is on the rise. In the west, Western is a lot like they were last year, but are weaker in net - I think they are vulnerable. Waterloo is decent, but they can't beat Western. Lakehead seems to be developing into a very strong team and may in fact be the best team in the league, especially once they get their injured players back. They have four games against Western in the second half and that will tell us a lot.
The OUA East teams (mostly) took a step forward this year. None managed to establish themselves as an A level team (yet). I will be interested to see if those 6 B level teams continue to stay close.

McGill has had way too many close games against non-descript opposition.

The Lakehead v Urban Cowboys games should tell us about both sides. They have both fattened their record against the lowly.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 08:06 AM
FreddtFoyle

While UNB may not be last season's "juggernaut", I don't believe it is a good idea to under-rate them yet, unless you want to do them a favour.

Two of UNB's three losses this season came with their emergency third-string goalie in nets. All of the losses were one-goal games, and one in OT. Veteran Travis Fullerton (he of two University Cup wins) is 6-0 with a 2.04 GAA and is healthy again.

UNB's last three games saw them dramatically outplay and outshoot their opponents (UdeM & STU) who relied on hot goaltending, opportunistic scoring and lots of shot blocking and lane clogging to keep the score close. Shots were 44-16, 44-17 and 43-16. UNB's miserable power play (around 13%) hasn't helped them in pulling away from teams. Oh, and if the referee doesn't mess up and award STU a mistaken goal (puck never crossed the line) in the third period of that last game to tie it up, while giving UNB five penalties in a row in that last 11 minutes, well, that game would have been over in regulation.

Most folks around the AUS this season think ALL of the teams have improved (well, not Dal, but still ...) , while UNB is showing that it is not easy to replace a player of the calibre of Hunter Tremblay.

Last edited by FreddtFoyle: 12-13-2011 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Fullerton
FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 08:14 AM
cishockeyfan

Im certainly Happy with UNB's play and a 11-2-1 record in the AUS on any giving year let alone being dismantled by Injuries and being forced to play with local Beer League Goaltenders. Maybe they could have kept their higher ranking if only they would have lost to the University of Regina Rams at home 6-1. One thing is for certain they better keep winning to maintain that number #2 spot, because if manitoba keeps splitting doubleheaders the second half of the year they will surely move up to 1 or 2.

No Doubt UNB could possibly lose in the playoff rounds in the semi or the final, theyre is a handfull of AUS Teams that have that in mind and its certainly not out of the question. And if we do this year that means a likely date with a Canada West School at the University Cup in the Round Robin Pool play. I would love for that Team to be the Herd of Manitoba Buffalos, to watch them stomp the Putering Squirrels.

Mind you it likely wont be the Bisons, I mean common I hope it is and they change it up at the very least a little bit, getting tired of that CW rotation, alberta, alberta, alberta, alberta, saskatchewan, alberta, alberta, alberta, alberta, alberta, saskatchewan..........yawn

For anyone that thinks I'm going on a UNB Binge here, its not about that, Its the Canada West vs the AUS, Sask # 1, Manitoba # 3 lethbridge a few miles ahead of St Thomas in the top 34, AUS is still trying to gain Respect from the Canada West Followers after the past 2 decades, we are lucky to see a team above .500 every year with the parity, specialy this year. It all unfolds in March Anyways, this isn't war of words, its good old fashioned rivalries I love it, getting the second half underway already!

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:02 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

I'm not really going to debate whether UNB or Sask. should be #1...we all know rankings don't really matter and that the best team will be skating around the AUC with the UCup in March....but if you told me at the first of the season that UNB, without Tremblay and dressing their 3rd/4th/5th/6th string goalies at various points in the first half, would be 11-2-1 I would be quite happy. Remember at this point last year they were 10-4...of course I am not banking on them going 13-1 in the second half like they did last year.

This has nothing to do with this year but I was curious so I did a little research. Since losing to Calgary in the preliminary round of the 2003 Bell Cup in Lakehead UNB is 14-1 against CW teams (3-1 against Alberta, 6-0 against Calgary, 3-0 against Manitoba, and 2-0 against Saskatchewan). The lone loss of course was in the 2008 National Final.

Also, since losing to Guelph in the 1997 National Final UNB has gone 34-1-1 against the OUA, with wins against Brock/Carelton/Guelph/Laurier/Lakehead/McGill/Ottawa/Toronto/Western/Waterloo/York/UQTR. The two losses were against UQTR at the 2003 Nationals and against Lakehead in a SO in the preliminary round of the 2004 Bell Cup in Lakehead. They are on a 24 game winning streak against the OUA.

Again, I know this will have absolutely no bearing on this season but I would still be quite confident facing any team from either CW or the OUA.

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 12-13-2011 at 10:14 AM.
UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:28 PM
AUS Fan

All three of you UNB guys are saying that it doesn't matter what the poll says, but at the same time you're whining about having to play your five year old Atom House League goalie or whatever.

i've said it before and Bruins Fan just did, that the best team will skate around the AUC in late March. Get over it. The sun doesn't shine from under your skirts.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 08:21 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Squirrels gone nutty (Or did Nuts go squirelly?)

Don't be upset, UNB fans. I'll (hopefully) be doing a conference0by-conference analysis over the holidays.

I do not think it is correct that the AUS has vastly improved. Yes, they are the best conference in the CIS, and that's where I have them ranked. If you check the second table I posted you would see that the mid-point of each conference lies as follows:
AUS: A
CW: B+
OUA-E: B
OUA-W: C+

The difference from recent seasons is that the OUA-E has surpassed the OUA-W in what has been a remarkable turn-about.

There have not been a lot of CW v AUS games this year. All we have is Calgary (#4 in CW) getting a shoot-out loss v Acadia, a win over St FX, and two losses to the Squirrels. Pretty much what one would expect. Would Moncton, UPEI, or Saint Mary's have done much better? Not likely.

I was not totally sold on leaving Acadia in the A category, instead of A-. Anyhow, the top 5 in my view are clearly and obviously the top 5 in anybody's ranking.

Old
12-13-2011, 09:11 PM
timbitca

Quote:
Don't be upset, UNB fans. I'll (hopefully) be doing a conference0by-conference analysis over the holidays.

I do not think it is correct that the AUS has vastly improved. [...]
Yes it has. This stupid league just keeps on getting better and better every damn year, it's crazy.

Quote:
There have not been a lot of CW v AUS games this year. All we have is Calgary (#4 in CW) getting a shoot-out loss v Acadia, a win over St FX, and two losses to the Squirrels. Pretty much what one would expect. Would Moncton, UPEI, or Saint Mary's have done much better? Not likely.

I was not totally sold on leaving Acadia in the A category, instead of A-. Anyhow, the top 5 in my view are clearly and obviously the top 5 in anybody's ranking.
See, this is where I have trouble with people in Ontario and out West. You'll give credit to a few of our teams and dismiss the rest... I don't see any reason why we or Saint Mary's or UPEI would have done any worse against either of Acadia, StFX, UNB or Calgary. We've beaten Acadia and X twice each this year and lost twice to UNB. SMU is 3-3 against those three teams and UPEI is also 3-3, having beaten UNB twice. Anything can and will happen in this league.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
Yes it has. This stupid league just keeps on getting better and better every damn year, it's crazy.

See, this is where I have trouble with people in Ontario and out West. You'll give credit to a few of our teams and dismiss the rest... I don't see any reason why we or Saint Mary's or UPEI would have done any worse against either of Acadia, StFX, UNB or Calgary. We've beaten Acadia and X twice each this year and lost twice to UNB. SMU is 3-3 against those three teams and UPEI is also 3-3, having beaten UNB twice. Anything can and will happen in this league.
The point is that a 1-2-1 road trip against those teams by Calgary is basically as good as the other A level teams from the AUS would have done. In other words: Would Moncton, UPEI, or Saint Mary's have done much better? Not likely.

Old
12-14-2011, 08:03 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
The point is that a 1-2-1 road trip against those teams by Calgary is basically as good as the other A level teams from the AUS would have done. In other words: Would Moncton, UPEI, or Saint Mary's have done much better? Not likely.
You are of course entitled to your opinion, but those of us who actually watch the AUS games every week would tend to agree that the AUS competitive level, outside of Dalhousie, has improved this season. Not all of these differences are necessarily seen in stats, and certainly not if you're just looking at won-lost records. But that's the collective opinion of many of us in the AUS, and has been repeated here already the proof in the pudding will be seen at the AUC in March.

There has only been one blow-out this season not involving Dal - Moncton's surprising 9-2 loss to Acadia to open the season. Almost all AUS games this season, not including those involving Dal, have been decided by two goals or less. Dal is the outlier, and even they have managed to come within one and two goals in their last two losses.

Old
12-14-2011, 11:13 AM
AUS Fan

What if?

What if every AUS team was as good as, say - UNB? They would all have similar won-loss records with a .500 average and would be C teams under the format. You will see the same in NHL stats where one division/conference is better top to bottom then the others and no one team has a decided advantage and they are all bunched together. I wouldn't get my knickers in a twist over the CIS or Hollywood rankings. There is nothing to be gained by being ranked 1st or 2nd other than a bigger ego.
A good team in a weak division will win more than they lose. That does not mean they are as good as their ranking. Wait till March to determine the final ranking.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 04:52 PM
cishockeyfan

This is why i love CIS Hockey, they play in their conferences have their own rivalries, have some inter league games in the exhibition season and christmas break, and boom all leagues meet at the university cup. It's great i love it and would never change the way it works.

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 09:32 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Calgary and Saskatchewan have combined for 1 win in 7 out of conference games against UNB, UNB, Acadia, St. FX, Lakehead, Lakehead and Brock (OUA#14). That interconference record to me does not prove they are as good as the A level teams in the AUS, and is in fact, surprisingly poor.

It is not farfetched to think a number of CIS teams would be capable of winning at a greater than 4 win season pace against those opponents in my opinion.

Last edited by blackmarketmob: 12-14-2011 at 09:49 PM.
blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 11:14 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
What if every AUS team was as good as, say - UNB? They would all have similar won-loss records with a .500 average and would be C teams under the format. You will see the same in NHL stats where one division/conference is better top to bottom then the others and no one team has a decided advantage and they are all bunched together. I wouldn't get my knickers in a twist over the CIS or Hollywood rankings. There is nothing to be gained by being ranked 1st or 2nd other than a bigger ego.
A good team in a weak division will win more than they lose. That does not mean they are as good as their ranking. Wait till March to determine the final ranking.
Exactly.

Old
12-18-2011, 06:35 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Saskatchewan may finally be playing up to it's potential, but it is only half way through the season. With disappointing annual results, this team is along way from winning anything! Good skill up front with Hulak, Bortis, Bosch, Ross etc. But do they have the enough depth and talent on the backend to win a Western championship, let alone a National title. They finished on a roll, but played weak teams in Regina and UBC in their final four regular season games. Manitoba on the other hand, looks strong on the backend but lacks the offensive firepower to challenge for a championship. Alberta, despite a terrible performance at last years Nationals have re-tooled and look to be gaining momentum. Going into the break, They have a share of first place, despite an eary season slump and have split with Sask and Manitoba after the first half. Also two recent lopsided wins against the Danish world junior entry.
One of these team will have to take away Alberta's monopoly on home ice advantage that the Bears have enjoyed for an eternity!! When was the last time Alberta has had to play a Canadawest playoff game away from Claire Drake Arena?
Plain and simple, Adolf, Sirent and most CIS followers know all to well the results, when Alberta earns home playoff advantage. Maybe Bob S. Can fill us in with his perspective of the Bears progress?

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:29 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

I've always been of the opinion that Alberta is the favourite until proven otherwise in the playoffs.

Old
12-18-2011, 08:34 PM
mikeandI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
Saskatchewan may finally be playing up to it's potential, but it is only half way through the season. With disappointing annual results, this team is along way from winning anything! Good skill up front with Hulak, Bortis, Bosch, Ross etc. But do they have the enough depth and talent on the backend to win a Western championship, let alone a National title. They finished on a roll, but played weak teams in Regina and UBC in their final four regular season games. Manitoba on the other hand, looks strong on the backend but lacks the offensive firepower to challenge for a championship. Alberta, despite a terrible performance at last years Nationals have re-tooled and look to be gaining momentum. Going into the break, They have a share of first place, despite an eary season slump and have split with Sask and Manitoba after the first half. Also two recent lopsided wins against the Danish world junior entry.
One of these team will have to take away Alberta's monopoly on home ice advantage that the Bears have enjoyed for an eternity!! When was the last time Alberta has had to play a Canadawest playoff game away from Claire Drake Arena?
Plain and simple, Adolf, Sirent and most CIS followers know all to well the results, when Alberta earns home playoff advantage. Maybe Bob S. Can fill us in with his perspective of the Bears progress?
my spidey senses tellz me that you are a spy amoungst us r.a.e. man?
there is no question that playing in homer ville against the monkeys is a tough test. sirant( note the correct spelling) is still burning over the stripped cowards reversal move after they scored a beauti in OT. and this was with the supposed new neutral officials in oil country. BUT i tell you the second half is going to be unreal out west, the dinos have added more non academic firepower for the second half so we have been told. so look out for a real big push from them. it will be nice to see a full roster of forwards in the second half for our bisions as well. Should be a wild 12 game race, Lethbridge and Regina have some new blood as well? Any one else?

help me out...will there really be three OUA teams in the cup in freddy beach???? tooo bad. it should be 222 forever. three from OUA come on CIS...that means 2 OUA and UNB ....tell me that doesn't smell bad?!

Last edited by mikeandI: 12-18-2011 at 08:40 PM.
mikeandI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:44 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandI View Post
help me out...will there really be three OUA teams in the cup in freddy beach???? tooo bad. it should be 222 forever. three from OUA come on CIS...that means 2 OUA and UNB ....tell me that doesn't smell bad?!
Yep, I believe it will be 3 OUA/UNB/1 CW/1 AUS. Winning the AUS is quite important for UNB this year IMO...if they win they will most likely be the #1 seed going in and will almost certainly be in with the 2nd and 3rd place OUA teams (since the two other conference champs have to be in the same pool, and the two AUS teams will be split up). If they just go in as the host they will probably go in a pool with the CW and OUA champs. Big big difference.

I would imagine next year the AUS will get the extra spot and then the OUA the year after.

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 12-18-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old
12-19-2011, 06:53 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Yep, I believe it will be 3 OUA/UNB/1 CW/1 AUS. Winning the AUS is quite important for UNB this year IMO...if they win they will most likely be the #1 seed going in and will almost certainly be in with the 2nd and 3rd place OUA teams (since the two other conference champs have to be in the same pool, and the two AUS teams will be split up). If they just go in as the host they will probably go in a pool with the CW and OUA champs. Big big difference.

I would imagine next year the AUS will get the extra spot and then the OUA the year after.
I believe the hosting conference can not have a wild-card, so with the West hosting next year and the OUA getting the wild-card this year, the AUS would be next followed by the OUA.

You were 'spot on' when assessing UNBs pool placement, definitely easier if they go in as #1, but I'd enjoy watching the 'hard' road if they came out on top (UNB vs #2-CW Champs on Thu, then #3-OUA Champs in Sat. then Pool 'B' winners on Sunday - AUS Champs). UNB did it in 2007 vs USask, UQTR and UdeM.

As #1 I think we're looking at two of the following four (Western, McGill, LKD and UQTR) - rematches against McG and UWO would be interesting.

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
I believe the hosting conference can not have a wild-card, so with the West hosting next year and the OUA getting the wild-card this year, the AUS would be next followed by the OUA.

You were 'spot on' when assessing UNBs pool placement, definitely easier if they go in as #1, but I'd enjoy watching the 'hard' road if they came out on top (UNB vs #2-CW Champs on Thu, then #3-OUA Champs in Sat. then Pool 'B' winners on Sunday - AUS Champs). UNB did it in 2007 vs USask, UQTR and UdeM.

As #1 I think we're looking at two of the following four (Western, McGill, LKD and UQTR) - rematches against McG and UWO would be interesting.
I think you are correct in stating how they allocate conference berths. That was done so that the AUS and CW would not have a year with 3 berths followed a year with one berth.

IMO for so long as they keep it a 6 team event there is no excuse for anything other than a 2-2-2 system. (I would prefer an 8 team championship but this raises a whole other issue.)

I do not believe that the seedings are correct, though. The 3 conference winners would be seeded 1-3. If UNB loses in the AUS playoffs they would likely go in as #4. However, the AUS winner would not likely be the #1 seed. I would guess that the seedings would produce something like this:

Pool A
#1 OUA or CW winner
#4 UNB
#5 OUA loser

Pool B
#2 OUA/CW winner not seeded #1 or AUS winner
#3 OUA/CW winner not seeded #1 or AUS winner
#6 the other OUA loser

Old
12-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Bob Stauffer

Re: Red Army East on Alberta

I do not see Alberta winning the Canada West this year.
Saskatchewan has better forwards, Manitoba better defence and Calgary has pretty good goaltending.
The U. of A. will also "lose" it's home ice advantage at Clare Drake Arena even if they win they come first in the Canada West.

Bob Stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 08:37 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Mini Update

I do hope to complete my conference-by-conference mid-term report. ITM, there are exhibition/non-conference games going on. Here's the schedule:

Tuesday, December 27 - Thursday, January 5
Concordia European Tour

Thursday, December 29
Toronto at Guelph
Carleton at Lakehead
Waterloo at McGill

Friday, December 30
St. Thomas at Acadia
Moncton at UPEI
St. Francis Xavier vs Saint Mary’s (at Truro, NS)
Ottawa at New Brunswick
Carleton at Lakehead
Waterloo at McGill

Saturday, December 31
Ottawa at New Brunswick

Monday, January 2
Moncton at St. Thomas
Western Ontario at Lake Superior State

SAIT Trojans Hockey Alumni Association Challenge Cup
Game 1: Alberta vs Calgary
Game 2: Lethbridge at SAIT

Tuesday, January 3
UPEI at Dalhousie
RMC at Queen's (regular season game)

SAIT Trojans Hockey Alumni Association Challenge Cup
Game 3: Alberta vs Lethbridge
Game 4: Calgary at SAIT

Overall, a disappointing menu of holiday games this year. I liked the days when Lakehead and UNB both hosted tournaments so we would see lots of unique match-ups.

Old
01-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

OHT34 #10: January 1, 2012

OFFICIAL HOLLYWOOD TOP 34 – JANUARY 1, 2012

There have been some non-conference games played during the mid-term break. Those results have been added to the new table. Also, Ottawa has had a win and an OTL against Carleton forfeited due to the use of an ineligible player. The OHT34 will continue to use the actual results for rankings purposes. IAE, no changes to the rankings have been made. Changes won't happen until the regular season resumes.

The results are:

Thursday, December 29
Toronto 4 Guelph 3
Carleton 4 Lakehead 3 (OT)
Waterloo 2 McGill 4

Friday, December 30
St. Thomas 2 Acadia 4
Moncton 3 UPEI 4
St. Francis Xavier 5 Saint Mary’s 4 (SO)
Ottawa 3 New Brunswick 7
Carleton 3 Lakehead 4 (SO)
Waterloo 5 McGill 4 (SO)
Concordia 5 St. Moritz 3

Saturday, December 31
Ottawa 4 New Brunswick 8

````````````````-----------------------------------------------------------------
`````````````` |`` A``|`` B``|`` C``| Conf. |Conf-X|Oth-CX|``CIS``|OtherX| TOTAL |
`--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|`` A``````````|``````|``````|``````|`````` |``````|``````|`````` |``````|`````` |
| 1 SASK.``````| 3 0 1| 2 1 1| 6 1 0|11``2 2| 4 0 0| 0 1 0|15``3 2|0 0 0 |15``3 2|
| 2 UNB````````| 5 2 1| 2 0 0| 4 0 0|11``2 1| 1 0 0| 5 0 0|17``2 1|1 2 1*|18``4 2|
| 3 MANITOBA^``| 3 2 1| 5 1 0| 3 1 0|11``4 1| 1 1 0| 0 0 0|12``5 1|4 2 1 |16``7 2|
| 4 MONCTON````| 4 4 0| 2 0 0| 4 0 0|10``4 0| 4 2 0| 0 0 0|14``6 0|0 0 0 |14``6 0|
| 5 ALBERTA^`` | 2 2 2| 2 1 1| 6 0 0|10``3 3| 2 0 1| 0 0 0|12``3 4|3 0 0 |15``3 4|
| 6 ACADIA```` | 4 4 1| 1 1 0| 4 0 0| 9``5 1| 5 1 0| 1 0 0|15``6 1|0 2 0 |15``8 1|
|`` A-```````` |``````|``````|``````|`````` |``````|``````|`````` |``````|`````` |
| 7 UPEI`````` | 5 3 0| 0 2 0| 3 1 0| 8``6 0| 4 2 0| 3 0 0|15``8 0|0 0 0 |15``8 0|
| 8 MCGILL```` | 0 0 0| 9 1 2| 4 0 0|13``1 2| 1 0 1| 0 1 1|14``2 4|0 2 1*|14``4 5|
| 9 W. ONTARIO | 0 0 0| 4 0 1| 9 1 1|13``1 2| 0 0 1| 0 0 0|13``1 3|0 5 0 |13``6 3|
|10 ST MARY'S``| 2 5 1| 3 0 0| 4 0 0| 9``5 1| 0 1 2| 3 1 0|12``7 3|0 0 0 |12``7 3|
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|`` B+```````` |``````|``````|``````|`````` |``````|``````|`````` |``````|`````` |
|11 LAKEHEAD`` | 0 2 0| 2 0 0|11 1 0|13``3 0| 2 1 1| 2 0 0|17``4 1|0 2 0 |17``6 1|
|12 CALGARY````| 4 4 0| 2 2 0| 3 1 0| 9``7 0| 0 1 1| 1 3 2|10 11 3|0 1 0 |10 12 3|
|13 UQTR`````` | 2 0 0| 4 4 1| 7 1 0|13``5 1| 2 1 0| 1 2 0|16``8 1|0 1 0 |16``9 1|
|`` B``````````|``````|``````|``````|`````` |``````|``````|`````` |``````|`````` |
|14 UBC````````| 1 5 0| 2 1 1| 4 1 1| 7``7 2| 0 0 0| 0 0 0| 7``7 2|2 4 0 | 9 11 2|
|15 ST F-X```` | 3 6 2| 0 0 0| 2 1 1| 5``7 3| 3 1 0| 0 1 0| 8``9 3|2 0 0 |10``9 3|
|16 OTTAWA+````| 0 1 0| 4 3 1| 7 0 1|11``4 2| 1 0 0| 0 2 0|12``6 2|0 1 0 |12``7 2|
|17 WATERLOO`` | 0 1 1| 3 1 0| 8 2 1|11``4 2| 2 0 1| 0 0 0|13``4 3|1 1 0 |14``5 3|
|`` B-```````` |``````|``````|``````|`````` |``````|``````|`````` |``````|`````` |
|18 NIPISSING``| 1 1 1| 5 3 2| 3 1 0| 9``5 3| 4 0 0| 0 0 0|13``5 3|0 0 0 |13``5 3|
|19 CARLETON+``| 0 1 0| 5 2 2| 4 2 0| 9``5 2| 1 1 1| 0 1 0|10``7 3|1 1 1*|11``8 4|
|20 CONCORDIA``| 1 1 0| 3 5 2| 5 1 0| 9``7 2| 1 1 0| 0 0 0|10``8 2|1 0 0 |11``8 2|
|21 TORONTO````| 0 2 0| 4 3 2| 4 0 1| 8``5 3| 3 1 0| 0 0 0|11``6 3|0 2 0 |11``8 3|
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|`` C+```````` |``````|``````|``````|`````` |``````|``````|`````` |``````|`````` |
|22 REGINA```` | 1 8 1| 2 1 1| 1 1 0| 4 10 2| 1 1 2| 1 0 0| 6 11 4|1 2 0 | 7 13 4|
|23 BROCK``````| 0 1 0| 4 2 0| 3 5 1| 7``8 1| 1 0 0| 2 2 0|10 10 1|0 1 0 |10 11 1|
|24 QUEEN'S````| 0 2 0| 3 4 1| 3 1 0| 6``7 1| 4 0 0| 0 0 0|10``7 1|0 1 1*|10``8 2|
|25 RYERSON````| 0 1 0| 3 5 1| 4 1 1| 7``7 2| 1 3 0| 0 0 0| 8 10 2|0 2 0 | 8 12 2|
|26 WINDSOR````| 1 2 0| 2 4 0| 4 3 0| 7``9 0| 2 1 0| 0 0 0| 9 10 0|0 2 0 | 9 12 0|
|27 LETHBRIDGE | 1 5 1| 1 5 0| 1 0 1| 3 10 2| 0 1 0| 0 0 0| 3 11 2|0 3 0 | 3 14 2|
|28 ST THOMAS``| 1 7 2| 2 0 0| 0 2 0| 3``9 2| 1 5 0| 0 1 0| 4 15 2|0 0 0 | 4 15 2|
|29 YORK`````` | 0 1 0| 0 4 1| 7 2 2| 7``7 3| 0 4 0| 0 0 0| 7 11 3|0 2 0 | 7 13 3|
|`` C``````````|``````|``````|``````|`````` |``````|``````|`````` |``````|`````` |
|30 LAURIER````| 1 1 0| 2 7 1| 1 3 0| 4 11 1| 1 3 0| 0 0 0| 5 14 1|0 0 0 | 5 14 1|
|31 GUELPH```` | 0 1 2| 0 7 2| 4 1 0| 4``9 4| 0 2 0| 0 1 0| 4 12 4|0 2 0 | 4 14 4|
|32 DALHOUSIE``| 0 9 1| 0 2 0| 2 0 0| 2 11 1| 1 5 0| 0 0 0| 3 16 1|0 0 0 | 3 16 1|
|33 UOIT`````` | 0 2 0| 1 4 0| 2 8 1| 3 14 1| 2 2 0| 0 0 0| 5 16 1|1 1 0 | 7 17 1|
|34 RMC````````| 0 2 0| 0 7 1| 2 3 0| 2 12 1| 0 1 1| 0 0 0| 2 13 2|0 1 0 | 2 14 2|
`--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
``^ MANITOBA OTW OVER ALBERTA REVERSED
``+ OTTAWA WIN AND OTL V CARLETON FORFEITED
``* INDICATES TIE GAME

Old
01-02-2012, 11:50 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Mid-Term Report Card: OUA-West

MID-TERM REPORT CARD – OUAW

As promised, I will be offering a conference-by-conference review during this break. I begin with the OUA West.

The “traditional powers” in this division have been the Urban Cowboys, Lakehead, Waterloo, and Laurier. While the Urban Cowboys have acquitted themselves well on the national stage the last two years, the rest have fallen off. The big problem for this division is that they have had their ***** handed to them by the OUA East teams in interlocking games. My quick count was 24-13 for the East. This is a role-reversal for these divisions, and it severely affects rankings.

In any event, here's how I see these teams:

Western Ontario Urban Cowboys: A-

v A ```` 0-0-0
v B ```` 4-0-1
v C ```` 9-1-1
OUA ````13-1-2
OUA-X `` 0-0-1
v CIS ``13-1-3
Other-X` 0-5-0
Total ``13-6-3

What I would really like to see is the Urban Cowboys face some of the better CIS teams on a more frequent basis. Their only non-conference CIS game was a loss to Waterloo. Here are their regular season results against B level teams:

Oct. 8 Carleton 2 Western Ontario 4
Oct. 14 Western Ontario 4 Nipissing 5 – SO
Oct. 15 Western Ontario 3 Toronto 1
Nov. 11 Western Ontario 4 Waterloo 2
Dec. 1 Waterloo 3 Western Ontario 4 – SO

My impression of their results is that it is pretty good. They belong in the A level. However, I also conclude that the rest of the A level would have compiled similar, or better, results against the same opponents. Their four remaining games against Lakehead will carry great weight with me.

Lakehead Thunderwolves: B+

v A``````0-2-0
v B``````2-0-0
v C```` 11-1-0
OUA```` 13-3-0
OUA-X````2-1-1
CW-X```` 2-0-0
v CIS`` 17-4-1
Other-X` 0-2-0
Total`` 17-6-1

Since CIS sports returned to Lakehead, they put together a solid hockey program. To me it seemed only a matter of time before they would assemble a pile of University Cup titles. Despite their lofty ratings and regular season success, this team always seemed to under-perform in the playoffs. When they hosted the nationals in 2009 an 2010 it failed to give them a recruiting boost and, in fact, saw them knocked down a peg in 2011.

The big problem with ranking Lakehead is that they have had such a weak schedule, even by OUAW standards. They started with two close losses to McGill and two close wins over Ottawa. Then they racked up a ton of wins over teams ranked between #26 and #33. In the exam and Christmas period they have done well against two enigmatic teams: Calgary from the CW and Carleton from the OUAE. Three of the four games went to overtime. This has me convinced that Lakehead is solidly a B level team. Their remaining four games against the Urban Cowboys and two games against Waterloo will be key.

Waterloo Warriors: B

v A``````0-1-1
v B``````3-1-0
V C````` 8-2-1
OUA```` 11-4-2
OUA-X``` 2-1-0
v CIS`` 13-5-2
Other-X` 1-1-0
Total`` 14-6-2

They currently have the #17 ranking, which places them barely in the top half of the nation. One feature of their record which may indicate growth potential is their 2-1-0 non-conference record against the conference giants, McGill and Western Ontario. They also have a tidy 3-1-0 record against B level teams. They are in a tight race with one team from each other division/conference, namely UBC, SFX, and Ottawa. All have a shot at moving from B to B+.

Brock Badgers: C+

v A``````0-1-0
v B``````4-2-0
v C````` 3-5-1
OUA``````7-8-1
OUA-X````1-0-0
CW-X```` 1-1-0
AUS-X``` 1-1-0
v CIS`` 10-10-1
Other-X` 0-1-0
Total`` 10-11-1

Brock have had some tailspins in recent years, when they seemed to be a threat for a B+ or even A- ranking. This year they beat Sask and SMU in non-conference games. But they also lost to Regina in that process. Once the season started they have been going 50-50 throughout, often with one-sided wins followed by one-sided losses, or vice versa.

Windsor Lancers: C+

v A``````1-2-0
v B``````2-4-0
v C````` 4-3-0
OUA``````7-9-0
OUA-X``` 2-1-0
v CIS````9-10-0
Other-X` 0-2-0
Total````9-12-0

Windsor had a decent pre-season then started the year by sweeping Concordia and being swept by McGill on the opening weekends. This may have foretold a future as a B or B+ team. But, like Brock, they followed with a series of splits which entrenches them as a C level team.

York Lions: C+

v A``````0-1-0
v B``````0-4-1
v C``````7-2-2
OUA``````7-7-3
OUA-X````0-4-0
v CIS````7-11-3
Other-X``0-2-0
Total````7-13-3

Things looked bad for the former Yeomen. They won only one of their first 13 league and non-conference games. Since that time they have gone a respectable 6-4-0. I do not see them moving beyond C+, but they have overcome a woeful start.

Laurier Golden Hawks: C

v A``````1-1-0
v B``````2-7-1
v C``````1-3-0
OUA``````4-11-1
OUA-X````1-3-0
v CIS````5-14-1
Other-X``0-0-0
Total````5-14-1

Once a perennial contender, Laurier has flirted with a #34 ranking all season. Nevertheless, they have beaten UWO. They were 0-4-0 against the OUAE.

Guelph Gryphons: C

v A``````0-1-2
v B``````0-7-2
v C``````4-1-0
OUA``````4-9-4
OUA-X````0-2-0
AUS-X````0-1-0
v CIS````4-12-4
Other-X``0-2-0
Total````4-14-4

Their first four games were losses against the OUAE. They then hammered UOIT and Brock. They then had 6 straight games against the Big Three in the OUAW, where they went 0-2-4. Oddly, all remaining games on their schedule are against C level teams. Their 4-1-0 record against the C level holds open the prospect of a strong finish. However their 0-8-4 record against the A and B levels makes it impossible for them to go beyond a C+ in a best case scenario.

UOIT Ridgebacks: C

v A``````0-2-0
v B``````1-4-0
v C``````2-8-1
OUA``````3-14-1
OUA-X````2-2-0
v CIS````5-16-1
Other-X``1-1-0
Total````6-17-1

There was optimism when this team went 3-3-0 in the pre-season, including a big win over the Michigan Wolverines. But then came a 1-6-0 start to the regular season. They have surpassed RMC in the race to escape the basement. This team has had some strange results in recent years. They will need something strange to make a significant jump.

Last edited by Hollywood3: 01-02-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old
01-02-2012, 04:03 PM
lakeheadu

Interesting review. Good work! I cant wait for the regular season to get started again this weekend

lakeheadu is offline   Reply With Quote