HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2011 Redskins Thread Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2011, 02:37 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
The topic of the Skins nickname has been brought up recently by Mike Wise, and highlighted by Peter King in his MMQB column, and I was wondering what the regulars on here think about the Skins name?

Me personally, I won't be leading a rally to have it changed, but if it was i wouldn't mind. I am one of those people who feel the PC Police is out of control, but in this instance the name Redskins really shouldn't be the nickname for the most popular professional sport in the Nations Captial.

Possible solutions to the nickname, I like Tony Kornheiser's idea of putting a picture of a redskin potatoe on the side of the helmut, but Washington Warriors has a nice ring to it.
Dan Snyder will never change the brand unless the NFL forces him to. Relatedly, I will never be a Skins fan.

Old
10-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Capitlols

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
You mean Vick? Newton isn't in his league. Rogers was always underrated by Skins fans but his drops became a liability and he developed a mental block.

Skins D is top 5 without him and tied for league lead in sacks.
What does that have to do with Rogers? Better personnel more than anything.

As for Newton his scrambling is obviously not on par with Vick, but he's deceptively fast, while being hard to take down and has been throwing well. I just can't see them beating Carolina, hope that I'm wrong though.

Old
10-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Capitlols

Tim Hightower:

Quote:
"The fun will be in February when you guys are interviewing us up in Indy. That’ll be fun.”

Old
10-05-2011, 03:31 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Hey. You can't not like the swagger.

Old
10-05-2011, 03:31 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Tim Hightower:

Don't whip out the facepalm just yet. There are always a lot of NFL players stolling around the SB City getting interviewed on the radio about some beer or chip company they are plugging. Based on that, its a probable factual statement.

Old
10-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Capitlols

I don't even know that Hightower will still be starting by then.

Old
10-05-2011, 05:13 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
What does that have to do with Rogers? Better personnel more than anything.

As for Newton his scrambling is obviously not on par with Vick, but he's deceptively fast, while being hard to take down and has been throwing well. I just can't see them beating Carolina, hope that I'm wrong though.
You can't imagine a scenario where they beat Carolina?

This is what Skins fans have come to; after years of being beaten down they can't recognize a promising team when they see one.

Old
10-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
You can't imagine a scenario where they beat Carolina?

This is what Skins fans have come to; after years of being beaten down they can't recognize a promising team when they see one.
Don't take my comment to literary. They can beat Carolina but my gut feeling is they won't.

This team has promise down the line but with Rex Grossman at the helm, its not exactly reassuring for the present.

Old
10-05-2011, 05:45 PM
WetHog

I can see the Skins beating the Panthers, but I can also see multiple scenarios that lead to a Skins loss. Just look back on the last 3 weeks of this season. Multiple red zone turn overs on the way to a comeback win over Arizona. Wasted opportunities to put the Crackboys away in a loss. And letting a lesser team hang around instead of putting them away by halftime in a win.

Right now beating the Giants by 2 TD's is the exception not the rule for the Skins. There are no sure wins for the Skins the way they have been playing the last 3 weeks.

Old
10-05-2011, 08:27 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Hey. You can't not like the swagger.
lol!

Timmy Hightower...I love it...why not talk the talk?

Old
10-05-2011, 08:30 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
The topic of the Skins nickname has been brought up recently by Mike Wise, and highlighted by Peter King in his MMQB column, and I was wondering what the regulars on here think about the Skins name?

Me personally, I won't be leading a rally to have it changed, but if it was i wouldn't mind. I am one of those people who feel the PC Police is out of control, but in this instance the name Redskins really shouldn't be the nickname for the most popular professional sport in the Nations Captial.

Possible solutions to the nickname, I like Tony Kornheiser's idea of putting a picture of a redskin potatoe on the side of the helmut, but Washington Warriors has a nice ring to it.
I think anyone up in arms over the name of the team needs a hobby. If anything it's a tribute to native americans IMO.

Old
10-05-2011, 09:41 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
I think anyone up in arms over the name of the team needs a hobby. If anything it's a tribute to native americans IMO.
You know what a redskin is, right?

Old
10-05-2011, 09:51 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
I choose to not recognize the old thinking and think of it as a tribute instead. For my 1/984th of Apache....that's good enough.

Some accounts state that the name "Redskins" was chosen to honor the team's coach, William "Lone Star" Dietz, who began coaching in 1933, and whose mother was allegedly Sioux.

Old
10-05-2011, 10:30 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
I feel the urge to watch the movie PCU again.

The connotative meaning of words changes over time and IMHO the derogatory meaning of the word has long passed. I moved for the last time to the NOVA area in '82. Even at that young age I thought the name represented not just a NFL football club (my favorite sport at the time) but was a word symbolizing the powerful nature and romantic/tragic view into history and dealing with american indians. I had no idea until the later 90s (off the top of my head) when the legal opposition started trickling out. I also recognize being on the East Coast one is simply not confronted with american indians as compared to the other parts of the country where they are part of the social fabric. Not sure if this is a east coast ignorance or not now thinking about. I guess the last thing I would say that for Redskins fan there is absolutely no negative connotative or derogatory nature of that word.

10-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Foy

For me, all negative connotations around the word "redskin" include the POS that owns the team.

Old
10-06-2011, 01:35 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
For me, all negative connotations around the word "redskin" include the POS that owns the team.
Snyder is an epic tool but Shanahan knows what he's doing. The Skins will be a reach to win anything until they get a QB but they're doing everything else right for once.

Old
10-06-2011, 03:53 PM
wpgallday1960

Quote:
Snyder is an epic tool but Shanahan knows what he's doing. The Skins will be a reach to win anything until they get a QB but they're doing everything else right for once.
Totally agree. Shanny has made good moves for the most part and once we get the long term answer @ QB the Skins will be a contender.

On another note, I would like to thank the NFL for giving the Skins the bye this week so I can watch the Jets opener without feeling the urge to change the channel.

Old
10-06-2011, 04:48 PM
WetHog

Quote:
I think the Skins could win now with Grossman if Grossman started playing more like Trent Dilfer during the SB year for the Crows, and less like Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, or Tom Brady.

I'm not saying the Skins would win the SB this year, or has as good a defense as the Crows did that year, but the defense is the best unit on this team right now. It makes plays to get off the field when it needs to more often than not, and it has an NFL caliber pass rush. If the Skins offense can simply play not to lose, and pound the football with Torrain, Hightower, and Helu, the Skins will be in every game this year, and might win more of those games than they lose.

Old
10-07-2011, 12:49 PM
marcel snapshot

Quote:
I think the Skins could win now with Grossman if Grossman started playing more like Trent Dilfer during the SB year for the Crows, and less like Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, or Tom Brady.
For the Skins to succeed, Rex needs to embrace the nickname given to him by a fan (and appearing in today's Post): Statue of Limitations.

To quote Dirty Harry: "A man's got to know his limitations." Learn it and live it Rex.

Old
10-07-2011, 03:46 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'm not saying the Skins would win the SB this year, or has as good a defense as the Crows did that year, but the defense is the best unit on this team right now. It makes plays to get off the field when it needs to more often than not, and it has an NFL caliber pass rush. If the Skins offense can simply play not to lose, and pound the football with Torrain, Hightower, and Helu, the Skins will be in every game this year, and might win more of those games than they lose.
I don't see it.

The Skins D would have to start playing like the Ravens of that year....one of the best in the history of the NFL. This isn't one of the best D's in NFL history.

Old
10-07-2011, 07:27 PM
WetHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
I don't see it.

The Skins D would have to start playing like the Ravens of that year....one of the best in the history of the NFL. This isn't one of the best D's in NFL history.
Well its clear you only read the part of my post you highlighted, so why quote the entire post?

Old
10-09-2011, 09:51 AM
tycoonheart

It doesn't matter if we win now or not. Just watch the way the team is coming together the way Shanny is building it. They're very well coached, the guys seem to be having fun. The culture is most certainly changed. If you don't practice well, you won't get a chance to start. Compare that to how Portis was being treated by Zorn (and even Gibbs) and you know things are different now. Win or lose, this is a fun team to watch. One more free agency + draft and this team is going to be scary good, IMO.

Old
10-09-2011, 09:57 AM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
It doesn't matter if we win now or not. Just watch the way the team is coming together the way Shanny is building it. They're very well coached, the guys seem to be having fun. The culture is most certainly changed. If you don't practice well, you won't get a chance to start. Compare that to how Portis was being treated by Zorn (and even Gibbs) and you know things are different now. Win or lose, this is a fun team to watch. One more free agency + draft and this team is going to be scary good, IMO.
This.

Just have to find that top tier QB.

Old
10-09-2011, 11:13 AM
tmljeh19

Quote:
This.

Just have to find that top tier QB.
I would have no problem selling the farm for Luck. I would try to keep the most of the 2012 draft as possible because its a very loaded draft. I would shorten our 2013 draft more then 2012. Im hoping someone like the Colts ends up with the first pick so they would be willing to trade out.

Old
10-09-2011, 01:07 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

I love watching the Eagles implode

Closed Thread