HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Dreger via TSN - LEAFS LOOK TO UPGRADE

Old
10-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Connor McJesus
Praise

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyhennig16 View Post
I'd actually refer to it as a "depth upgrade". It doesn't matter what position your looking to upgrade. Its still classified as an "upgrade". When it comes down to it, every team is looking to upgrade if the opportunity arises.
They lost Ryder, Kaberle and Recchi. Hardly anything was upgraded.

Connor McJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:36 AM
khennig16*
Bikini Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsevolod Bobrov View Post
They lost Ryder, Kaberle and Recchi. Hardly anything was upgraded.
I agree, but to say once a team wins the cup they stop looking to upgrade is just nonsense.

They lost those guys to FA/Retirement, so what did they do? They went and looked for an upgrade.

khennig16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:37 AM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster3 View Post
What would the Leafs offer for Rene Bourque?
What would the Flames want?

MacArthur + Brad Ross +/- ?

Edit: MacArthur because Leafs would have to send salary + good prospect in Ross who was last years 2nd rounder... Both are Alberta boys.

sparxx87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Sarcastic
PosterOfTheYear2014

Quote:
What would the Leafs offer for Rene Bourque?
Bozak and Gunnarsson.

Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:41 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Rangers and Oilers are two teams really needing and looking for D help, those are the first places the Leafs should look.

Who's available on those teams though for top 2 line talent the Leafs want though?
Not much available for top two line talent on the Oil. Hemsky, but it would cost a lot. Maybe Omark, but he hasn't really proven to be top two line talent.

So maybe something like Hemsky for either Aulie or Macarthur and a first. But I'm sure the Leafs aren't looking for a guy like Hemsky if they are looking for size.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:00 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

What???

i thought Lombardi and Franson were the leaf's missing pieces?!

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
So Chiarelli's job is done now? He wasn't and won't be looking for possible ways to improve the team?

So the the dynasty has begun I guess.

at the guy who cheers for a team who just ended a long cup drought and now proceeds to take shots at other fanbases, feeling entitled with his recently found success...

Classy.
What? Are you insinuating I'm only posting critically of the Leafs because Boston won the cup last year? History dictates that's not the case at all. We all talk about this every year, Toronto is always "rumored" to be after the biggest names out there through trade, or the big UFA's are just about ready to sign in TO, etc... It's so cliche now Toronto rumors are rarely taken seriously. That has nothing to do with Boston winning the cup.

Again, Toronto looking for major upgrades isn't a big shocker. They need it, as they have for quite some time now. To be expected when you haven't made the playoffs since the lockout... no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyhennig16 View Post
I'd actually refer to it as a "depth upgrade". It doesn't matter what position your looking to upgrade. Its still classified as an "upgrade". When it comes down to it, every team is looking to upgrade if the opportunity arises.
If you think Benoit Pouliot is an upgrade over Mark Recchi you're wrong. If you think Joe Corvo is an upgrade over Kaberle I'd again disagree. Neither are upgrades, Corvo is simply more cost effective.

The Leafs go through more turnover then a call center.

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:08 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goc Ya View Post
What???

i thought Lombardi and Franson were the leaf's missing pieces?!
No silly, Franson and Lombardi are two NHL players Burke got for two AHL players... It's a deal Burke couldn't pass up whether Poile was high or not...

More long term, they need a gritty and versatile top 6 LW with size that can add some offense...

But hey, next time Poile is experimenting with crack, we'd love to trade you Franson and Lombardi back for someone like Fisher and Weber... Similar value differential as the first trade, wouldn't ya say?

Old
10-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Saul Goodman
Attorney at law

burke has been looking for a top 6 forward with size for going on 3 years now. this is just a classic go-to for guys like dreger on slow news days.

Saul Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:14 PM
OMGaudreau

Quote:
What would the Flames want?

MacArthur + Brad Ross +/- ?

Edit: MacArthur because Leafs would have to send salary + good prospect in Ross who was last years 2nd rounder... Both are Alberta boys.
There might be a fit somewhere in here, what is MacArthur's cap hit?

OMGaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:20 PM
leafsrule123

Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
Oh my gosh the leafs wanna hav doughty and crosby and ovechkin and stall bros. mayb subban 2 idn lol xD
Subban blows

leafsrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:21 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
What? Are you insinuating I'm only posting critically of the Leafs because Boston won the cup last year? History dictates that's not the case at all. We all talk about this every year, Toronto is always "rumored" to be after the biggest names out there through trade, or the big UFA's are just about ready to sign in TO, etc... It's so cliche now Toronto rumors are rarely taken seriously. That has nothing to do with Boston winning the cup.

Again, Toronto looking for major upgrades isn't a big shocker. They need it, as they have for quite some time now. To be expected when you haven't made the playoffs since the lockout... no?
That's exactly what I'm insinuating.

Who's we? I don't represent the fan base, nor do you. We're two individuals and I wouldn't hold you accountable for something someone else said. I'd expect the same courtesy.

Turnover yes, Burke took the team in complete shambles. JFJ and the whole boardroom approach hadn't worked despite repeated efforts and it was time for a change...

Burke made significant upgrades in every area possible and te team is finally in a position to contend for a playoff spot... Realistically its the first time since the lockout... So yes, they were in need of some 'major upgrades' and they've made them....

I'm not suggesting Burke's work is done by any stretch of the imagination... But saying the team is still in need of 'major upgrades' shows your dislike for the Leafs is much stronger then your ability to think logically and objectively.

Old
10-03-2011, 12:24 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
There might be a fit somewhere in here, what is MacArthur's cap hit?
3.6 for two more years.

I just saw Bourque is 3.3, that's a hell of a bargain.

Old
10-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

The guy I really want on the Leafs is Hemsky. When the guy is healthy he plays a great game, he's not afraid to crash the net and is extremely skilled. A top unit of Kulemin-Grabovski-Hemsky looks great.

Bernier the Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Anderson55

Quote:
That's exactly what I'm insinuating.

Who's we? I don't represent the fan base, nor do you. We're two individuals and I wouldn't hold you accountable for something someone else said. I'd expect the same courtesy.

Turnover yes, Burke took the team in complete shambles. JFJ and the whole boardroom approach hadn't worked despite repeated efforts and it was time for a change...

Burke made significant upgrades in every area possible and te team is finally in a position to contend for a playoff spot... Realistically its the first time since the lockout... So yes, they were in need of some 'major upgrades' and they've made them....

I'm not suggesting Burke's work is done by any stretch of the imagination... But saying the team is still in need of 'major upgrades' shows your dislike for the Leafs is much stronger then your ability to think logically and objectively.
The same question remains since Burke got to TO, Whose the top line Center? Whose going to step up when needed most? This questions are still unanswered, becaues Phil Kessel is not the answer to any of those. Also the leadership on this team is terrible, major upgrades are still needed, if it wasnt for Reimer going on a major tear they are bottom of the East Conf. And thats another no one knows if Reimer is the real deal yet.

Anderson55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Lottery Oilers*
Nuge is Cobra

Quote:
No silly, Franson and Lombardi are two NHL players Burke got for two AHL players... It's a deal Burke couldn't pass up whether Poile was high or not...

More long term, they need a gritty and versatile top 6 LW with size that can add some offense...

But hey, next time Poile is experimenting with crack, we'd love to trade you Franson and Lombardi back for someone like Fisher and Weber... Similar value differential as the first trade, wouldn't ya say?
Poile dumped salary. Nothing more nothing less. Franson is a poor mans Souray without the toughness and Lombardi is another hit away from being retired.

Meanwhile Nashville saved a ton of money and have made the playoffs like 5 years in a row. Poile is one of the best GM's in the league and will certainly make better use of that money than spent on Lombardi and Franson.

Lottery Oilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:37 PM
topshelf15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
The guy I really want on the Leafs is Hemsky. When the guy is healthy he plays a great game, he's not afraid to crash the net and is extremely skilled. A top unit of Kulemin-Grabovski-Hemsky looks great.
He would be a nice piece for the leafs to have ,but i would think they want more than toronto would be willing to give up

topshelf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:38 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
Hemsky is hurt again... Him and Connolly on the same team guarantees they'd at least lead in man games lost to injury..

I get the impression Burke is looking to climb te standings, not the underwhelming stat categories.

Old
10-03-2011, 12:40 PM
The Brewmeister
#Winning.

Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGrinder View Post
Poile dumped salary. Nothing more nothing less. Franson is a poor mans Souray without the toughness and Lombardi is another hit away from being retired.

Meanwhile Nashville saved a ton of money and have made the playoffs like 5 years in a row. Poile is one of the best GM's in the league and will certainly make better use of that money than spent on Lombardi and Franson.
You're right, Franson lost all value because he got traded to Toronto. Lombardi is a risk, but Nashville was smart to keep him out of the lineup for the season, and is playing with Toronto. I think Burke and co. will be careful with Lombardi.

The Brewmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:41 PM
WarriorofTime
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Big words about a guy who has consistently built a playoff team with one of the lowest budgets in the league. When's the last time the Leafs have made the playoffs with their gazillions of dollars?

WarriorofTime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:47 PM
CellarDweller0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGrinder View Post

Sugar-coat it as much as you like to make it more palatable for you. It's fine but even as a salary dump the deal was a steal for the Leafs. Definitely not Poiles best move by ANY stretch.

CellarDweller0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Lottery Oilers*
Nuge is Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brewmeister View Post
You're right, Franson lost all value because he got traded to Toronto. Lombardi is a risk, but Nashville was smart to keep him out of the lineup for the season, and is playing with Toronto. I think Burke and co. will be careful with Lombardi.
Franson was always overrated. He was a byproduct of Trotz airtight system. When the deal happened and everyone was saying who the winner and losers were I said Franson was the big loser because he wouldn't be playing for Trotz anymore and will get exposed.

Lottery Oilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:54 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson55 View Post
The same question remains since Burke got to TO, Whose the top line Center? Whose going to step up when needed most? This questions are still unanswered, becaues Phil Kessel is not the answer to any of those. Also the leadership on this team is terrible, major upgrades are still needed, if it wasnt for Reimer going on a major tear they are bottom of the East Conf. And thats another no one knows if Reimer is the real deal yet.
I could have sworn I had you on ignore, just for uneducated posts such as this.

Kessel is the 3rd most valuable forward.. Burke is still working on insulating him and has done an unbelievable job with the few chips JFJ left behind.

Leadership is terrible in what way? I'm pretty sure anyone who watched the team progress over the past 2 seasons ha seen the culture change. Phaneuf, Schenn, Armstrong, Grabovski, Komisarek; All aforementioned bring various leadership qualities.

People can sip their hateraide all they want... It doesn't change the fact that the Leafs are in the best position they've been in a very long time speaking from an organizational standpoint. The team is deep with talented youth from top to bottom.

The one big need is a true number one centre...and they don't grow on trees. Half the teams in the league are looking for one... Playoff teams included.

Old
10-03-2011, 12:55 PM
voxel

Quote:
Hemsky is hurt again... Him and Connolly on the same team guarantees they'd at least lead in man games lost to injury..

I get the impression Burke is looking to climb te standings, not the underwhelming stat categories.
Hemsky is NOT hurt. Where do you get your info?

Leafs don't have the spare assets to trade for Hemsky anyhow - except maybe their 1st.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 01:06 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Big words about a guy who has consistently built a playoff team with one of the lowest budgets in the league. When's the last time the Leafs have made the playoffs with their gazillions of dollars?
Poile is a good GM, but even the best have a few they'd like to do over.

Gotta love people on the playoff hang up.

Yes, the Leafs were mis-managed for years, we all watched it... Having money means nothing, unless you know how to spend it...

The organization has finally given autonomy to a guy who knows what he's doing... He was left with a group in shambles and tore it down to the ground before re-building it... There's literally only like 3 people that remain in the entire organization since Burke took over..

Leafs are on their way up and have neve had a more promising future in my lifetime...

I understand the outside skepticism... So may all the skeptics watch as the team rises from lottery contender to cup contender in the coming years.