HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Is Roman Josi likely to make the big team this year ?

Old
07-16-2011, 06:58 PM
torero

vCash: 500
Is Roman Josi likely to make the big team this year ?

Hello guys,

I read some literature with pros and cons on the above subject.
Yet, regretfully since i am based in Europe, i never saw a game with Josi playing with Milwaukee therefore i cannot have a clean proper opinion.

I understand that he is clearly good, but that their are many other good players ready to jump into the NHL. (Bloom, Ellis, Laakso ... )

What is your opinion on that, based on what you saw ?

tks

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 07:21 PM
Top 6 Spaling

The top two pairings are set.

Weber-Suter
Blum-Klein

As far as the other two, Ellis, Josi, Ekholm, Boullion, and Laakso will be going for the spots. I would guess it will be Josi and Boullion, but Ellis has a very good shot to. I'd give Josi a 50% chance right now.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 08:52 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Josi will almost certainly see time here but it will be up for grabs as to whether he makes the team out of camp

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 09:18 PM
torero

tks guys !

Actually another fact was that coach Lambert, who was head coach last year by Milwaukee became coach with Nashville.
Lambert had a very very good opinion on Josi. I guess this could play a role as to getting the chance to have some ice time. After that ... results should determine the future ?

Just thinking by written.

Old
07-16-2011, 10:04 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
tks guys !

Actually another fact was that coach Lambert, who was head coach last year by Milwaukee became coach with Nashville.
Lambert had a very very good opinion on Josi. I guess this could play a role as to getting the chance to have some ice time. After that ... results should determine the future ?

Just thinking by written.
Youre right about results. We have enough guys who are almost ready that if whoever does make it out of camp stumbles, they will likely get sent back down and someone else will get a shot. Anyone who wants to stay up would be advised to be as impressive as Blum was or nearly so.

Old
07-17-2011, 06:35 AM
torero

In fact I believe that he still has to adjust to NA ice surface. On the stats i saw that he shoots plenty of times on the goal, yet scores little. I guess that on a smaller ice surface you have less time ... therefore have to be faster to shoot. Hence loosing precision.

Here in Switzerland, while he shot at a bigger distance from the goal (due to bigger ice surface), he achieved a higher goal/shots ratio than in Milwaukee. Which talks in favour of needing to still work on that (which is not a trivial part of his game)

So hopefully when he will have his chance, he will grab it firmly.

Old
07-17-2011, 11:47 AM
JacklegJack

As you move up the ranks the quality of goaltenders improves vastly as well, which helps to explain why he was able to score more often in Switzerland and why he'll likely score even less in the NHL. It hasn't worried anyone though I don't think, we are already impressed enough with his defensive abilities that he has shown thus far.

Although when you take a look at his stats it's not too significant of a drop anyway, he's done a great job of transitioning his game from Europe to North America.

Last edited by JacklegJack: 07-17-2011 at 11:53 AM.
JacklegJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 12:42 PM
token grinder

camp is going to be fun to watch. have 6 guys battling for 3 spots. Ellis, Josi, Cube, Lebda, Eckholm, and Laakso. No one knows how it will turn out. Heck, if Lebda has a strong camp, will he be the 7th dman, or I hate to say it the 6th? what if ellis and josi are lights out? do you bury cube and lebda in the minors and take the cap hit? this ill be a dogfight. Real competition for nhl jobs. not many teams actually have this for so many spots.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 01:05 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
camp is going to be fun to watch. have 6 guys battling for 3 spots. Ellis, Josi, Cube, Lebda, Eckholm, and Laakso. No one knows how it will turn out. Heck, if Lebda has a strong camp, will he be the 7th dman, or I hate to say it the 6th? what if ellis and josi are lights out? do you bury cube and lebda in the minors and take the cap hit? this ill be a dogfight. Real competition for nhl jobs. not many teams actually have this for so many spots.
Cap hit for guys buried in the minors?

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 01:24 PM
sighthndlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
$0. Money counts against the cap only for players on the NHL roster. That's how somebody like Souray ends up playing a whole year in the AHL.

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 01:26 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
$0. Money counts against the cap only for players on the NHL roster. That's how somebody like Souray ends up playing a whole year in the AHL.
Yep. It was a leading question.

Old
07-17-2011, 03:11 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
If Poile holds true to form he will keep players on one way deals up here first, unless he is hoping someone claims Lebda from us on waivers.

If Cube is healthy, I believe he will play. One of the rooks might get the other spot in the third pair with Lebda being the 7th D.

Old
07-17-2011, 03:13 PM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacklegJack View Post
As you move up the ranks the quality of goaltenders improves vastly as well, which helps to explain why he was able to score more often in Switzerland and why he'll likely score even less in the NHL. It hasn't worried anyone though I don't think, we are already impressed enough with his defensive abilities that he has shown thus far.

Although when you take a look at his stats it's not too significant of a drop anyway, he's done a great job of transitioning his game from Europe to North America.
in 26 games he scored 9 goals last year in Switzerland, this year in 69 games he only score 6 in AHL !! that is significant.
If he was playing in NHL, your point would have been granted about the quality of goaltending. But in AHL ... i would rather put it the other way round.

Salaries here over are decent for goalies, way higher than the AHL salaries. (this is why so few swiss players go to NA !) ... so the best goalies go to NA because they know they will get a 2 or 3 mio a year before tax (50% is worth mentioning !! ;-) while here taxes are incomparably lower). But under that, they stay here. More cosy, less games, du to the size of the country, they sleep at home every night and still a very decent salary that allows for retirement after career.

Old
07-17-2011, 03:22 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
in 26 games he scored 9 goals last year in Switzerland, this year in 69 games he only score 6 in AHL !! that is significant.
If he was playing in NHL, your point would have been granted about the quality of goaltending. But in AHL ... i would rather put it the other way round.

Salaries here over are decent for goalies, way higher than the AHL salaries. (this is why so few swiss players go to NA !) ... so the best goalies go to NA because they know they will get a 2 or 3 mio a year before tax (50% is worth mentioning !! ;-) while here taxes are incomparably lower). But under that, they stay here. More cosy, less games, du to the size of the country, they sleep at home every night and still a very decent salary that allows for retirement after career.
I watched Josi in the AHL a few times last season. He looks good, but, still had some adjusting to do. The passing and shooting angles differ for a d-man on international and NA ice.

The AHL has some very talented players, especially in goal. A lot of guys who deserve to be backups are in the AHL simply to get playing time.

Old
07-17-2011, 06:33 PM
torero

Quote:
I watched Josi in the AHL a few times last season. He looks good, but, still had some adjusting to do. The passing and shooting angles differ for a d-man on international and NA ice.
Thank you. I was sure on that ... coz really he was a good sniper here over ... and the number of goals shot were simply disapointing year in AHL specially the first 10 or 15 games.

Quote:
The AHL has some very talented players, especially in goal. A lot of guys who deserve to be backups are in the AHL simply to get playing time.
You see the NA side on that. For Europeans the only reason to come to NA and play in AHL is to adjust to NHL or ... like Danes ... because they have no decent league .. therefore they are forced to go for anything.
This is not the case for Swedes, Finns, Russians and Swiss ... (Germany is moving into this direction). They will make more money staying in Europe than playing in AHL ! Therefore average talented players or border line NHL players ... stay here.
NHL veterans retire in Europe, not in AHL ! for misterious rea$on$$. ;-)

2 years ago AHL games were broadcasted via ADTHE.net. So i could watch some games ... actually i watched many. Some Swiss were adjusting their ! I wouldn't compare AHL to the LNA. The level ain't the same and the spectacularity isn't comparable as well. The games i saw could have been worth bottom ranked LNA teams playing in a bad day. (even leaders are capable of the same ;-))

Finally just to say that i do not believe that going from LNA (swiss league) to AHL is moving up the ladder ... where goalies, due to their skills would change the success ratio on Josi's shots/goals. The main factor would still be the first element you mention. Which is the question the answer i was looking for. He still has adjustment to make in order to recover the snipe he had.

Streit, the only NHL successfull defensive swiss player (not mentioning Sbisa who came much younger to NA) needed many years to adjust. And i deem Josi of higher potential than Streit.

Last edited by torero: 07-17-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old
07-17-2011, 06:48 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Thank you. I was sure on that ... coz really he was a good sniper here over ... and the number of goals shot were simply disapointing year in AHL specially the first 10 or 15 games.

You see the NA side on that. For Europeans the only reason to come to NA and play in AHL is to adjust to NHL or ... like Danes ... because they have no decent league .. therefore they are forced to go for anything.
This is not the case for Swedes, Finns, Russians and Swiss ... (Germany is moving into this direction). They will make more money staying in Europe than playing in AHL ! Therefore average talented players or border line NHL players ... stay here.
NHL veterans retire in Europe, not in AHL ! for misterious rea$on$$. ;-)

2 years ago AHL games were broadcasted via ADTHE.net. So i could watch some games ... actually i watched many. Some Swiss were adjusting their ! I wouldn't compare AHL to the LNA. The level ain't the same and the spectacularity isn't comparable as well. The games i saw could have been worth bottom ranked LNA teams playing in a bad day. (even leaders are capable of the same ;-))

Finally just to say that i do not believe that going from LNA (swiss league) to AHL is moving up the ladder ... where goalies, due to their skills would change the success ratio on Josi's shots/goals. The main factor would still be the first element you mention. Which is the question the answer i was looking for. He still has adjustment to make in order to recover the snipe he had.

Streit, the only NHL successfull defensive swiss player (not mentioning Sbisa who came much younger to NA) needed many years to adjust. And i deem Josi of higher potential than Streit.
I've spent over seven years of my life in Germany. The AHL is a higher level of play than any I've seen in Europe.

Old
07-17-2011, 07:11 PM
torero

Quote:
I've spent over seven years of my life in Germany. The AHL is a higher level of play than any I've seen in Europe.
So with all due respect ... we found a clear point of disagreement.

Yet Germany isn't on the same level than the others !!
(other = Sweden, Finland, Russia and Switzerland) as said ... Germany is moving into the right direction.
But you said that you saw all leagues ... so, i guess we disagree fundamentally.

So ist das leben ! ;-)
Regs

I still hope that Josi will bring more added value than what you are expecing him to bring.

(by the way ... funily i think i already saw this type of discussion on hfboards ... ;-) )

Old
07-17-2011, 11:03 PM
token grinder

Quote:
22nd and 23rd guys on the rosters? wasn't exactly awake when i typed that up

my point was that we may need to keep their cap hits around since we are so young

Old
07-21-2011, 12:57 PM
torero

interesting interview by Josi.

Among others things, he is veeerrry happy for his year at Milwaukee. A part of food ... (a lot of fast food), their is no big cultural chock. He is ready to stay 1 to 2 more years in AHL. (i was surprised ! but he says it without gun pointed at his head ;-) )

http://www.swiss-icehockey.ch/SIH/de/index.php

it is in swiss german ... so even if you studied german ... 5/5 understanding will be quite an achievement.

Old
07-24-2011, 03:51 AM
elduderino

I think Josi will surprise a lot of people in training camp. I saw this kid play in Switzerland and there was never a more talented d-man in the Swiss League at the tender age of 17 (!) who dominated games like he did.
Nashville did the right thing with Josi last season. Giving him time to adapt and learn the NA hockey in Milwaukee. Josi isn't a player that dominates physically, but with his smarts, positioning and skating the puck up the ice. Adjusting and fine tuning his strengths to NA hockey needs some time, but it will pay big dividends. There's a reason why the coaches in Milwaukee said that Josi is the most talented d-man they ever coached during their time in Milwaukee.
Time will tell, but I would not bet against this kid for a spot on Nashville's blueline next season.

elduderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 11:07 AM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
I expect Josi in Nashville.. I think he would have been up at some point last season if not due to injury.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 08:04 AM
token grinder

Here is my issue with Josi, and I have watched the kid the past camps and his tourneys when I could.

I feel that everytime he can showcase himself he gets hurt. Someone can correct me, but leading into one tourney he was ktfo skating with his head down, and couldn't play in a tourney. Then wasn't it at the world jr, or olympics, (one of them) he broke something. He could have been a defensive callup last year, but got hurt for a while. I know he is a growing man and all, and injuries happen, but he seems to get hurt every year for a significant time.

I don't want to seem like I am poo pooing his skill, becasue I am not. Everything I see is he could be an impact player and a very good defenceman. I just worry about him being made of glass.

Old
07-25-2011, 08:51 AM
glenngineer

After thinking about this I wonder if Josi could use another year in Milwaukee to get further acquainted with the NA ice size. Grinder brings up an interesting point about his injury history and I worry about that as well but I think some of the injuries are just bad luck. Breaking a wrist right before a tournament sucks but it happens. Even Grinder's hockey god Pronger has had his share of injuries.

The reason I say spend another year in Milwaukee is this, I see what it did for Blum and his ability to step right into the lineup without any growing pains. I think Poile and Trotz are counting on some of the kids to step up and be ready and if they are, great but if they're not, why rush it.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:02 AM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
They've also learned from Colin Wilson in regards to not bringing them up too fast.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Kass Effect

vCash: 358
Quote:
coach Lambert, who was head coach last year by Milwaukee became coach with Nashville.
Lambert had a very very good opinion on Josi. I guess this could play a role as to getting the chance to have some ice time.
I think that will be the diciding factor. Lambert has seen him for a whole season, and has said he wouldn't be in the AHL for long. From what I've read, he is the best skater of the 3, maybe even of all defensemen within the organization....

Quote:
In fact I believe that he still has to adjust to NA ice surface. On the stats i saw that he shoots plenty of times on the goal, yet scores little.
I'm actually encouraged by this. The ability to get a shot on net is sometimes underated. He could end up being an assist machine through rebounds and tipped shots.

I think he found his game somewhere around the 35 game mark. I read an article on him about how well he had been playing, despite having only 1 goal....right after that, he scored in 3 straight, followed by an impressive point-streak as well. 13 games I think...best run by an ahl d-man in a few years I believe

*of note - had his team's worst +/- during regular season, but he was a +player in the playoffs.

Kass Effect is offline   Reply With Quote