HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TEAM990: McKenzie say most likely no suspension for Malone (official: no suspension)

Old
10-03-2011, 08:47 AM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Well the onus on is the players IMO...not the league. The league can't start suspendiing guys for 15-20 games everytime someone gets hit in the head. They just can't.

Players are too big, too fast and the ice surface is still the same (which to me, is a big issue). We're also in an era where EVERYTHING is reviewed and replayed over and over again, so while it's great that Shanny is handing out stiff suspensions, he's going to get to a point where it's just not going to be enough.

the NHLPA should have a sit down meeting with all of their brethren to figure something out...cause again, I don't think stiff suspensions is the answer, evidently, it is not as the preseason has seen an unprecedented spike in 'illegal hits'
They should have the NHLPA vote every year by having each player list the their top 10 dirtiest plays and dirtiest players (opinion) in the NHL. Then they could make a list and base the suspension not just on priors or how dirty the hit was but also base it on the NHLPA's vote regarding how dirty that player is in the first place. If the guy is #3 on the dirty players list voted by the NHL players it says something about the type of respect that player has for others but also the kind of respect players in the league have for them.

Then again though I think we all know who they are.

Either way I do think stiffer suspensions can be part of the solution it just can't be the only solution or it will fail.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 08:47 AM
TheCanasianfrasian

Send a message via MSN to TheCanasianfrasian
Malone made no effort to avoid the check althought he had plenty of time to do so.

From the camera angle when you watch the hit seeing Malone's back, you clearly see him raising his elbow all the way up to the head.

Malone was running around recklessly all game.

His feet left the ice upon impact.

If he doesnt get a suspension Shanahan is a joke and will never be able to clean up the game.

TheCanasianfrasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 08:52 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
For those who don't understand the rule book, the "just prior to" clause was inserted so the league can decide to not suspend someone when the guy who delivered the hit is a known name. So some nobody named Smith on Detroit thorws a hit, give him 8 games. Some guy on Tampa thorws an elbow to Campoli's head, probably about 5 games.

But wait! Just prior to the hit, everyone has already heard of Malone, so no suspension.
The biggest suspension to date went to Wisniewski, certainly a name as well known as Malone, so your hypothesis doesn't hold.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 08:53 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Call me a homer or whatever, but that's B.S.. How can you give Smith 5 games (when, if you ask me, he had much less time to react than Malone) or MacArthur 2 games (when he barely grazed Abdelkader) and nothing to Malone?

I agree that Campoli did put himself in a vulnerable position, but I thought the plan was to get rid of headshots, full stop. And vulnerable or not, Malone never even looked at the puck. Whatever. If it's true and there is no suspension, Shanahan's just as bad as Campbell. And that's from someone who was really excited about what he was doing to start the year. But if you can't be consistent, it's meaningless.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 08:55 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
I wouldn't agree if this is true. I felt Malone had more than enough time to avoid direct contact with the head.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 08:57 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Call me a homer or whatever, but that's B.S.. How can you give Smith 5 games (when, if you ask me, he had much less time to react than Malone) or MacArthur 2 games (when he barely grazed Abdelkader) and nothing to Malone?

I agree that Campoli did put himself in a vulnerable position, but I thought the plan was to get rid of headshots, full stop. And vulnerable or not, Malone never even looked at the puck. Whatever. If it's true and there is no suspension, Shanahan's just as bad as Campbell. And that's from someone who was really excited about what he was doing to start the year. But if you can't be consistent, it's meaningless.
Not to sound rude or anything, but I think you may have thought wrong, the rule changes do state that if the player is deemed to put himself in a vulnerable position just prior to the hit then no suspension will occur, but I agree with you that that doesn't seem to be the case in this particular scenario.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I don't think the players have ever respected each other and I don't think they need to. One strategy has always been to wear the other team down by constantly hitting them, that isn't respectful, that is disrespectful.

You do what it takes to win imo.
Sorry...I don't buy that.

Playing physical is one thing, but going out there and head hunting is another.

It IS a question of respect, it's not wanting to get revenge after your teams star player gets hit with a legal check like Malone tried to do all night.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:01 AM
habsjunkie2*

The question I now have if Malone isn't suspended is, was the lack of injury to the head the main sticking point here, if he had a severe concussion would there be a suspension, I sure as hell hope this wasn't the reason, otherwise the league is just taking a PR stance on this and isn't serious at all.

I don't know this to be true, but I suspect if Campoli was out indefinitely the ruling would of have been different, which is quite discouraging imo.

Old
10-03-2011, 09:01 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
After Subban put a legal check on Lecavalier, Malone was head hunting all night. Throwing some questionable hits in corners, yapping after the whistle, spearing Campoli when he was down on the ground. He definitely had motive and that alone should make the head shot on Campoli worthy of suspension.

It wasn't just an accidental hit that happened in a flash second. Malone had him in his sights, had a head full of steam from the night's occurence and made contact solely with the head.

Campoli having his head down should factor into how many games Malone gets, but not factor into Malone receiving no suspension at all.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
They should have the NHLPA vote every year by having each player list the their top 10 dirtiest plays and dirtiest players (opinion) in the NHL. Then they could make a list and base the suspension not just on priors or how dirty the hit was but also base it on the NHLPA's vote regarding how dirty that player is in the first place. If the guy is #3 on the dirty players list voted by the NHL players it says something about the type of respect that player has for others but also the kind of respect players in the league have for them.

Then again though I think we all know who they are.

Either way I do think stiffer suspensions can be part of the solution it just can't be the only solution or it will fail.
That's the thing though...stiffer suspensions doesn't deter anyone. Look at this preseason, I think Shanny has made it clear that he's serious about suspensions. Yet EVERY SINGLE NIGHT, there's another hit sometimes multiple hits within the same game, that are reviwed/discussed for suspensions.

Suspensions didn't deter Malone from spending all of saturday night trying to take off many Habs players heads off. He never thought to himself that maybe he should cool off instead of trying to seek his revenge. NHL players for the most part, just aren't wired that way these days...

Again...no respect.

Old
10-03-2011, 09:04 AM
BLONG7

I wonder if it had been Moen lining up Stevie Stamkos, what would have happened...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:05 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
After Subban put a legal check on Lecavalier, Malone was head hunting all night. Throwing some questionable hits in corners, yapping after the whistle, spearing Campoli when he was down on the ground. He definitely had motive and that alone should make the head shot on Campoli worthy of suspension.

It wasn't just an accidental hit that happened in a flash second. Malone had him in his sights, had a head full of steam from the night's occurence and made contact solely with the head.

Campoli having his head down should factor into how many games Malone gets, but not factor into Malone receiving no suspension at all.
I agree with this. At what point does intent to injure not count because the attempt included the target putting himself in a vulnerable position?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post

Agreed 100%...and that's exactly why I've continued to say that lenght of suspensions is NOT the issue. Fear of a lengthy suspension didn't make Malone think twice about trying to cause harm to any Habs player he could get his hands on Saturday night, and he had AMPLE time to think about it in between periods...

Old
10-03-2011, 09:06 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Not to sound rude or anything, but I think you may have thought wrong, the rule changes do state that if the player is deemed to put himself in a vulnerable position just prior to the hit then no suspension will occur, but I agree with you that that doesn't seem to be the case in this particular scenario.
No I know that, and I guess it comes down to the definition of "putting oneself in a vulernable position". But is that suddenly a free pass to take a guy's head off when you clearly have other options, like Malone does?

The Edler on Hall hit is a perfect example of Hall putting himself in a vulnerable position and contact to the head being unavoidable. No suspension, fine. But this? I don't buy it.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:06 AM
SB164

RealKyper Nick Kypreos
No further #NHL supplemental discipline for #Lightning Ryan Malone for head hit on #Canadiens Chris Campoli. He left game and didn't return.

SB164 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:07 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Can someone tell me:

Why do we keep getting ****ed? Repeatedly?

The Habs as an organization, always seem to take the high road on these incidents, and for once, I would hope they don't and start to make some noise to make the league do something in our favour, for a change....I am still sore about the Chara/Max incident...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:08 AM
MathMan

This is nonsense. Campoli doesn't put himself in a vulnerable position "immediately prior to" the hit. The head was targeted throughout.

Shanahan scaling back already?

You have to start wondering if the victim's jersey plays a part in these decisions. I realize this is a homer sentiment, but you step back and you wonder.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:10 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
RealKyper Nick Kypreos
No further #NHL supplemental discipline for #Lightning Ryan Malone for head hit on #Canadiens Chris Campoli. He left game and didn't return.
Absolute *********.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:12 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
You have to start wondering if the victim's jersey plays a part in these decisions. I realize this is a homer sentiment, but you step back and you wonder.
Could be more if the victim is badly injured...I don't know and I don't get it.

This should become a new trend on this forum... No Suspension

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:14 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

New management doesn't like us any better than old management. Oh well. I'm not attached enough to Campoli yet to care at all.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:14 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
This is nonsense. Campoli doesn't put himself in a vulnerable position "immediately prior to" the hit. The head was targeted throughout.

Shanahan scaling back already?

I don't think that's fair tbh. I agree with your thoughts on the play, but it is a tough call, I still believe when it's that difficult to judge the safest route would be to defend the hittee, I wish shanny would breakdown the non calls as well and maybe he could add some incite into his decision, he completely ignored the context and game situation which to me should of been one of the main factors in this decision, in a 1-1 game in the first period and this happens without all the extracurricular stuff Malone was already involved with and one could probably ignore it, but Malone's play all game long should be considered, and how was this hit gonna contribute to the lightnings success? the game was all but over, the hit served no other purpose than to try and take Campoli's head off.

Old
10-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Habs

The NHL suspends on the results of a hit, not the intent, which is why things will never change.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:17 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
More of a clear head shot than MacArthur or Brendan Smith.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:17 AM
FlyingRat

It's going to be a long season if other teams are allowed to kill one of our players every time we have a big lead.

FlyingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:19 AM
Jigger77

Of course not.

He's a Habs player now it's his own fault he got hit in the head. lol.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote