HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TEAM990: McKenzie say most likely no suspension for Malone (official: no suspension)

Old
10-03-2011, 10:22 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
This is nonsense. Campoli doesn't put himself in a vulnerable position "immediately prior to" the hit. The head was targeted throughout.

Shanahan scaling back already?

You have to start wondering if the victim's jersey plays a part in these decisions. I realize this is a homer sentiment, but you step back and you wonder.
Pretty much my thinking. I thought they'd even take a look at Marco Sturm's hit in the Edmonton game on the weekend but that got nothing. So I've officially given up trying to guess how the discipline in this league works, be in Campbell or Shanahan.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:22 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
They should have the NHLPA vote every year by having each player list the their top 10 dirtiest plays and dirtiest players (opinion) in the NHL. Then they could make a list and base the suspension not just on priors or how dirty the hit was but also base it on the NHLPA's vote regarding how dirty that player is in the first place. If the guy is #3 on the dirty players list voted by the NHL players it says something about the type of respect that player has for others but also the kind of respect players in the league have for them.

Then again though I think we all know who they are.

Either way I do think stiffer suspensions can be part of the solution it just can't be the only solution or it will fail.
One big problem with your post. The NHLPA has a long history of caring about money more than health. They would never do this because of the lost salary implications. It would never fly either for discrimination reasons.

The NHLPA isn't the solution.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:25 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

How surprising...

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:27 AM
tollb2

lol things like this make me feel that in the rule book, there is rule 66.6 - if player who is recieving the hit is a habs player then no suspension , if habs player dishes hit then regular suspension x 2 applies .

tollb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:29 AM
DogsFan*
GHG

Should we really be surprised after Chara wasn't suspended? No.

DogsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:31 AM
LyricalLyricist

The positive thing about this is campoli will be okay. I guess i'll take satisfaction in that.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Are people THAT surprised? Told you all….he LEANED into it….what a joke. Can’t believe Campoli wasn’t suspended for trying to hurt Malone’s shoulder….Anyway, I’ll blame Subban.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:32 AM
sheed36

I'm not the least bit surprised Malone wasn't suspended.. I've come to accept the total incompetence from the NHL be it Campbell or even Shanny now..

I guess it'll be open season on Habs players again this year..

sheed36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:35 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
I'm not the least bit surprised Malone wasn't suspended.. I've come to accept the total incompetence from the NHL be it Campbell or even Shanny now..

I guess it'll be open season on Habs players again this year..
Shanny has Stevie Y's back...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:35 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I don't think that's fair tbh. I agree with your thoughts on the play, but it is a tough call
It's no tougher than several others that have already been suspended.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:36 AM
tollb2

just a side thought , you would think after droping the ball on Chara hit they would of gave the team this one either way

tollb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:37 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Great, now every player who saw the replay know you can still headshot opponents. Way to make it official Shanny!

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:37 AM
duckchobbins

May not mean anything, but color me as a Bruins fan completely stunned Malone isn't being punished for that hit. Take comfort in knowing that Campoli is gonna be fine, and that Gorges did you proud by immediately going after Malone.

I thought Shanny was very trigger happy with handing out suspensions (and I prefer that over Campbell's method) but this just makes no sense to me at all.

duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:39 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
Not that it's gonna mean anything to most of you, but color me as a Bruins fan completely stunned Malone isn't being punished for that hit. Take comfort in knowing that Campoli is gonna be fine, and that Gorges did you proud by immediately going after Malone.

I thought Shanny was very trigger happy with handing out suspensions (and I prefer that over Campbell's method) but this just makes no sense to me at all.
regular season is about to start

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:40 AM
loveblood20

http://www.985sports.ca/hockey/nouve...ion-99832.html

Quote:
La LNH a jugé que Campoli a malencontreusement heurté l'épaule de Malone en se baissant.
It seems the nhl thinks that Campoli's head unfortunatly hit Malone's shoulder while leaning forward.

What ******** is that?

loveblood20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:42 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
May not mean anything, but color me as a Bruins fan completely stunned Malone isn't being punished for that hit. Take comfort in knowing that Campoli is gonna be fine, and that Gorges did you proud by immediately going after Malone.

I was worried that we were the only ones feeling that way... Maybe our love for the habs distorts our perception of hits and suspendable incidents... Thanks for your input and wish your team nothing more or less than a 9th place in our Conference.

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

was a tough call to make

1 game would have been sufficient, but the NHL cant be suspending every suspicious hit. Its going to turn into a gong show.

But i fear now that everyone will want a suspension everytime there is a questionable hit.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:43 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
regular season is about to start
Yah...maybe throwing the book at pre-season games is a lot easier.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveblood20 View Post
http://www.985sports.ca/hockey/nouve...ion-99832.html

It seems the nhl thinks that Campoli's head unfortunatly hit Malone's shoulder while leaning forward.

What ******** is that?
Clearly a design flaw of the human body. If this hit had happened with any other species, Campoli would be fine. I blame God.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:47 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveblood20 View Post

What ******** is that?
That's the radio station's interpretation, but it's the official line, you have to laugh a bit. All those jokes about suspending Campoli for his savage headbutt to Malone's shoulder wouldn't be too far from the truth.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:49 AM
duckchobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Yah...maybe throwing the book at pre-season games is a lot easier.
And it is, but I think not suspending this hit (which I think is worse than some that garnered disciplinary action) negates any message sending to the players that this isn't tolerated any longer.

It's like your screaming child begging for a toy all day. You say no. An hour passes, you keep saying no. Child keeps begging. On the way out of the department store...you cave and buy the kid a toy. It totally ruins the moral. Now the kid thinks it's ok to behave like that.

duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:49 AM
BLONG7

Headshots, are OK, just sometimes...see Shanny for details?

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:50 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
was a tough call to make

1 game would have been sufficient, but the NHL cant be suspending every suspicious hit. Its going to turn into a gong show.

But i fear now that everyone will want a suspension everytime there is a questionable hit.
If they're serious about eliminating headshots, yes they can. Unfortunately, they're not. It was a nice little sideshow while it lasted though, and it would appear we're back at square one.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:52 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

I didn't see an elbow.

I didn't see a blindside hit.

I did see Campoli without question change his position.

I did see Campoli's head down.

I did see the shot to the head. It was unfortunate and I expected 1 or 2 games suspension so I'm a little surprised at worst. But hopefully Campoli is okay and learned something though. I don't think you can deny he put himself in a precarious situation which seems to be what Shanahan saw too.

Campoli hopefully will do things differently next time. Maybe just chip the puck up the boards with a lead and little time remaining instead have taking the "must of possession and score" approach.

Last edited by swimmer77: 10-03-2011 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Because I got hit by Malone while typing.
swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:59 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
One big problem with your post. The NHLPA has a long history of caring about money more than health. They would never do this because of the lost salary implications. It would never fly either for discrimination reasons.

The NHLPA isn't the solution.
Very true, hadn't really thought of the discrimination factor.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote