HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2016 Draft round 4 #120 overall Otto Koivula

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-25-2016, 12:21 PM
  #1
xECK29x
Moderator
 
xECK29x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Deer Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,545
vCash: 500
2016 Draft round 4 #120 overall Otto Koivula

BIRTHYEAR 1998-09-01 BIRTHPLACE Nokia, FIN
AGE 17 NATION Finland
POSITION LW/RW SHOOTS L
HEIGHT 193 cm / 6'4" WEIGHT 100 kg / 220 lbs
YOUTH TEAM Ilves CONTRACT 17/18

RANKINGS Ranked #193 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #156 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #159 by Future Considerations
Ranked #28 by NHL Central Scouting (EU Skaters)

Code:
SEASON	TEAM	LEAGUE	                GP	G	A	TP	PIM  +/-	 
2015-16	 Ilves U20	 Jr. A SM-liiga	49	26	32	58	18	25
                                  Playoffs	         7	5	7	12	4	7

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 12:28 PM
  #2
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,737
vCash: 500

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 12:31 PM
  #3
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 30,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Junkie View Post
I know alot of Finish people, this holds true. lol

Vodka and Saunas.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 12:59 PM
  #4
Link Gaetz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 98
vCash: 500

Link Gaetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 03:23 PM
  #5
SLAPSHOT723
QU! Bobcats!
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island/NYC
Posts: 22,490
vCash: 500
****ing bad ass name.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 07:26 PM
  #6
Sparksrus3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,620
vCash: 500
Perfect !!
Our Jesse Joensuu replacement.

Sparksrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 11:42 PM
  #7
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime
 
Richie Daggers Crime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYI fan in Atl
Posts: 11,238
vCash: 500
Everybody gotta go Otto, Otto
Everybody wants to know Otto, Otto

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 11:53 PM
  #8
RyanPulock
💩🔒 👏🏼💣
 
RyanPulock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Country: United States
Posts: 9,249
vCash: 500
Another ****ing Mary. 6'4" 220? Fridge on Skates would destroy this kid!

RyanPulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2016, 12:45 AM
  #9
Quethas
Registered User
 
Quethas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tampere
Country: Finland
Posts: 206
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Quethas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparksrus3 View Post
Perfect !!
Our Jesse Joensuu replacement.
To be honest, Koivula is much more skilled than Joensuu. Joensuu relied mostly on big body while he was younger, Koivula relies to almost everything else than his big body at the moment.

Koivula is extremely skilled, has a good reach and knows how to score. He was fantastic in Nuorten SM-liiga (the top junior league in Finland) playoffs where he was selected as MVP.

I do have concerns about his skating which is the reason why he hasn't played more in Finnish Elite league yet. I also don't know if he has yet understood fully what it needs to become NHL player. There is a high bust potential in this player.

But the skill set is there. If everything turns out fine, Koivula has potential to become top 6 forward.

Quethas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2016, 11:41 AM
  #10
Chardo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,215
vCash: 500
Same name skating forward or backward.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2016, 07:13 PM
  #11
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 9,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Link Gaetz View Post
How desperate am I for hockey ? I actually watched this video. Pretty good look at Koivula, big guy with some talent. His team was down 1-0 in the 3rd, he got a secondary assist on the tying goal, caused the other team to take a penalty on an a nice move (he was tripped), and then scored the championship winning goal by heading it into the net with 40 seconds left in the 3rd (apparently NOT against the rules).

This was the Finnish Junior Championship game, sorta like the Memorial Cup. He came up big (pardon the pun). He was 3rd on his team in scoring during the season, but led them in scoring in the playoffs. Pretty decent skater for his size, big dude. Obviously needs to improve that part, but he's pretty good offensively and comes back to forecheck defensively.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2016, 07:41 PM
  #12
periferal
Registered User
 
periferal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
How desperate am I for hockey ? I actually watched this video. Pretty good look at Koivula, big guy with some talent. His team was down 1-0 in the 3rd, he got a secondary assist on the tying goal, caused the other team to take a penalty on an a nice move (he was tripped), and then scored the championship winning goal by heading it into the net with 40 seconds left in the 3rd (apparently NOT against the rules).

This was the Finnish Junior Championship game, sorta like the Memorial Cup. He came up big (pardon the pun). He was 3rd on his team in scoring during the season, but led them in scoring in the playoffs. Pretty decent skater for his size, big dude. Obviously needs to improve that part, but he's pretty good offensively and comes back to forecheck defensively.

Props to you for this.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2016, 04:10 PM
  #13
FinnHockeyFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,677
vCash: 500
Otto Koivula scored 2 goals tonight's regular-season game against Saipa Lappeenranta.
Here's the video of both goals

Koivula's goals are view-able 00:27 and 03:40-03:45
Koivula wears number 12 game-jersey

http://www.iltasanomat.fi/sm-liiga/a...001273390.html
Otto's team Ilves Tampere won saipa 4-3 after overtime


Last edited by FinnHockeyFan: 09-30-2016 at 05:59 PM.
FinnHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2016, 01:23 AM
  #14
LeapOnOver
Tavares' new RW
 
LeapOnOver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iksan, S. Korea
Country: South Korea
Posts: 5,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnHockeyFan View Post
Otto Koivula scored 2 goals tonight's regular-season game against Saipa Lappeenranta.
Here's the video of both goals

Koivula's goals are view-able 00:27 and 03:40-03:45
Koivula wears number 12 game-jersey

http://www.iltasanomat.fi/sm-liiga/a...001273390.html
Otto's team Ilves Tampere won saipa 4-3 after overtime
Thanks for this. He's a big boy. Pretty nice goal in OT as well.

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2016, 02:34 AM
  #15
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 30,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnHockeyFan View Post
Otto Koivula scored 2 goals tonight's regular-season game against Saipa Lappeenranta.
Here's the video of both goals

Koivula's goals are view-able 00:27 and 03:40-03:45
Koivula wears number 12 game-jersey

http://www.iltasanomat.fi/sm-liiga/a...001273390.html
Otto's team Ilves Tampere won saipa 4-3 after overtime
Seems to play a similar style to Anders Lee

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2016, 11:39 AM
  #16
Noma
Registered User
 
Noma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tampere, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 179
vCash: 500
Koivula scored his third career Liiga goal today, so three goals in two days. This time a wrister snipe on the power play.

Edit.*He added another power play goal. So four goals in two days, for now.

Noma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2016, 11:46 AM
  #17
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 25,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noma View Post
Koivula scored his third career Liiga goal today, so three goals in two days. This time a wrister snipe on the power play.

Edit.*He added another power play goal. So four goals in two days, for now.
Nice, thanks for the update.

Always love hearing about one of our prospects doing well.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2016, 11:54 AM
  #18
SI90
Registered User
 
SI90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 29,886
vCash: 500
Hopefully we hit the lotto with Otto

SI90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2016, 01:53 PM
  #19
seafoam
#HattricksForPatrick
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 46,860
vCash: 50
That video didn't work for me. I wanted to see this kid.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2016, 01:57 PM
  #20
ijuka
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 5,455
vCash: 500
Here's this:



The last one shows that he has some hands.

ijuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2016, 02:02 PM
  #21
FinnHockeyFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,677
vCash: 500
After tonight's Jukurit game Otto Koivula is now leading scorer of FEL rookies.
In 7 regular season games Koivula has scored 4 goals 1 assist = 5 points his PPG is 0,71.

FinnHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2016, 02:09 PM
  #22
seafoam
#HattricksForPatrick
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 46,860
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuka View Post
Here's this:



The last one shows that he has some hands.
Seriously, I thought I was watching John Tavares there.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2016, 02:15 PM
  #23
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 25,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuka View Post
Here's this:



The last one shows that he has some hands.
Damn, he's got some very nice hands in tight... wow.

I think I read that his skating needs work and that he needs to grow up into a man. Hopefully we get another late round steal ala Anders Lee type. The kid is huge.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2016, 11:54 AM
  #24
Phenomenon
Registered User
 
Phenomenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Damn, he's got some very nice hands in tight... wow.

I think I read that his skating needs work and that he needs to grow up into a man. Hopefully we get another late round steal ala Anders Lee type. The kid is huge.
Koivula´s biggest area of development is skating. Otherwise he is quite ready to take big steps. I love his attitude and hunger for goals, which does not mean that he is a selfish player. However, he is eager to score whenever there is a chance for that and does not just hang along with more experienced players. He has a good chance to become the rookie of the year in the Finnish league, if he continues to play the way he has started the season.

Too bad that Ilves lost its best player Sandell due to a knee injury, who has been a good tutor for Otto. Both are from the same town - Nokia. Otto´s best friend Juuso Välimäki (also from Nokia) is high on the next NHL draft ranking and is at the moment playing for Tri-City Americans.

Phenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2016, 01:10 PM
  #25
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 9,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenon View Post
Koivula´s biggest area of development is skating. Otherwise he is quite ready to take big steps. I love his attitude and hunger for goals, which does not mean that he is a selfish player. However, he is eager to score whenever there is a chance for that and does not just hang along with more experienced players. He has a good chance to become the rookie of the year in the Finnish league, if he continues to play the way he has started the season.

Too bad that Ilves lost its best player Sandell due to a knee injury, who has been a good tutor for Otto. Both are from the same town - Nokia. Otto´s best friend Juuso Välimäki (also from Nokia) is high on the next NHL draft ranking and is at the moment playing for Tri-City Americans.
Do you think Koivula has a shot to make the World Junior team ?

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.