HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mark Stone

Old
11-15-2011, 11:15 PM
Spezz101

vCash: 500
After Stone got cut from the training camp roster and returned to brandon he was named captain and was interviewed by the brandon sun saying that he never wore a C before in his life and was very excited to lead the team, he followed that interview up by scoring 3 points (against red deer if i remeber correctly). He also was on fire last year and carried them to the playoffs after a horrible start to the season and the wheaties decided they were gonna build for the future and trade Schenn to Stoon. Seems like he thrives in a leadership roll.

Spezz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 12:04 AM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
Mark Stone player of game for WHL in Subway Series. Mark's dad Rob left Sault Star in '79 for WPG. Opened up spot for cub reporter. #thxrob
1 hour ago
Very nice...

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 01:14 AM
Sensfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgieOglethorpe View Post
Lol, the way KK was gushing about Borowiecki the other day, it wouldn't surprise me if he turned out like Stevens. I think he loves him.
Stevens had a 78 point season among other high scoring years. Yes, he's remembered for being a physical d-man but he was just very, very talented.

I think Volchenkov is the comparable here. Maybe a bit more bite.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 01:43 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfanman View Post
Stevens had a 78 point season among other high scoring years. Yes, he's remembered for being a physical d-man but he was just very, very talented.

I don't expect he'll have the physical strength of Volchenkov but Boro's a clearly better skater and puck handler. I think the optimistic projection is something along the lines of Bieksa. Think he'll just be a solid player, good on the kill, and safe and steady but very physical and competitive every night, all game. He'll finish his checks.

If he's on our bottom pairing in 3-4 years then it's pretty clear we've got a nice D group.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 01:48 AM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
My expectations of BoroCop right now is a more mobile better passing version of Shane Hnidy. If he develops more then that, awesome. If not, thats the type of bottom pairing defenceman great teams have.

Rhino Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 01:59 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

I opened this thread expecting to read about Mark Stone's big night vs. the Ruskies. Boy was I wrong in my assumption.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 02:02 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
I opened this thread expecting to read about Mark Stone's big night vs. the Ruskies. Boy was I wrong in my assumption.
He's legit and people are really starting to notice. He's a legit top 6 prospect. He's smart, he uses his body well, his hands are soft and he's got nice poise and vision. His quickness looked fine and he had a solid interview in the 2nd intermission.

If you didn't watch the game, Fransoo was the only WHL Dman that showed up and had a really solid night. Playing like a regular ole Chris Phillips in this one.

Watching the game right now on replay, just said Stone said other than our skating coach, rooming with Cowen was a big help. Said Cowen took him under his wing and taught him about how to be a pro, nutrition, work, etc. Real nice to hear.

Last edited by Minister of Offence: 11-18-2011 at 02:07 AM.
Old
11-18-2011, 09:57 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfanman View Post

I'm thinking Steve Montador or François Beauchemin upside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
He's legit and people are really starting to notice. He's a legit top 6 prospect. He's smart, he uses his body well, his hands are soft and he's got nice poise and vision. His quickness looked fine and he had a solid interview in the 2nd intermission.

If you didn't watch the game, Fransoo was the only WHL Dman that showed up and had a really solid night. Playing like a regular ole Chris Phillips in this one.

Watching the game right now on replay, just said Stone said other than our skating coach, rooming with Cowen was a big help. Said Cowen took him under his wing and taught him about how to be a pro, nutrition, work, etc. Real nice to hear.
Not surprised by this, Cowen seems to be a very mature man for his age.

Surprised by Fransoo, I thought he was the most likely to bust fast among this Sens draft group. Our drafting is just too good to be true

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:06 AM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
Very nice...
That's pretty cool.

White Goodman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:07 AM
source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
I'm thinking Steve Montador or François Beauchemin upside.

Not surprised by this, Cowen seems to be a very mature man for his age.

Surprised by Fransoo, I thought he was the most likely to bust fast among this Sens draft group. Our drafting is just too good to be true
Based on how well our prospects are playing outside of the NHL?

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:20 AM
SIMMAN

Watched the game live in Moose Jaw last night. The improvement in Stone's skating from last year is noticable. Still not the fastest skater but his mobility and quickness have greatly improved. His vision, hockey sense, puck protection skills and passing ability is way above average. Clearly the best WHL player on the team and given the Junior team coach (Hay) was on the bench last night I have got to believe that a World Junior spot is his to lose this December.

By the way Gusev's puck handling is something to behold live.

SIMMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:34 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
Based on how well our prospects are playing outside of the NHL?
Based on 5th, 6th and 7th rounders becoming legitimate prospects.

Old
11-18-2011, 10:44 AM
source

Quote:
I wouldn't call it "too good to be true" based on that.

If Borowiecki becomes Scott Stevens, and Stone becomes Todd Bertuzzi, then yes, it will be "too good to be true".

Plenty of teams find players in later rounds - very few teams find gems like Alfredsson in those rounds.

Old
11-18-2011, 10:51 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:

If Borowiecki becomes Scott Stevens, and Stone becomes Todd Bertuzzi, then yes, it will be "too good to be true".

Plenty of teams find players in later rounds - very few teams find gems like Alfredsson in those rounds.
Our drafting has been near the top of the league, considering what we got used to in the early-mid 2000s people can call the drafting whatever they want.

Fransoo was an off the board selection in the 7th round and already he gets an invite as one of the WHLs 12-14 best Dman U20 and he's got another year left. And he played very well on that stage.

That in itself is pretty impressive.

Old
11-18-2011, 10:56 AM
source

Quote:
Our drafting has been near the top of the league, considering what we got used to in the early-mid 2000s people can call the drafting whatever they want.

Fransoo was an off the board selection in the 7th round and already he gets an invite as one of the WHLs 12-14 best Dman U20 and he's got another year left. And he played very well on that stage.

That in itself is pretty impressive.
Sure that's impressive, but he obviously has a very long way to go.

I don't mean to rain **** on peoples' parades, but people should temper their expectations with regards to young players. Before the pre-season (and even during), people around here would get **** on for saying that Filatov wouldn't stick with the team.

I like to keep an eye on prospects, but you're going to get disappointed more often than not if you hold an attitude that some do around here.

Old
11-18-2011, 11:00 AM
armani
Guy Likes

Quote:
Current roster players originally drafted (3rd round and below) or signed to their first NHL contracts by the Ottawa Senators.

3rd rounders: Peter Regin, Zack Smith, Kaspars Daugavins

*6th rounders: Daniel Alfredsson, Chris Neil

7th rounders: Colin Greening, Erik Condra

Undrafted: Bobby Butler, Stephane Da Costa, Jesse Winchester

That's a pretty solid record by the organization over the years. The Murray picks have been having success in their development, and I see that continuing the Sens' tradition of producing solid NHLers from solid drafting.

*Mark Stone is another 6th rounder. Based on his progression so far in the W, I think the potential is there for him to slot between Alfie and Neil as one of Sens draft steals at the 6th round. I am hoping he is one of Sens' 6th round magic picks.

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by armani View Post

*Mark Stone is another 6th rounder. Based on his progression so far in the W, I think the potential is there for him slot between Alfie and Neil as one of Sens draft steals at the 6th round. I am hoping he is one of Sens' 6th round magic picks.
He's quickly becoming a real legitimate prospect, not just some junior scoring star. He's a points machine everywhere he goes now, Brandon, Rookie tournament, WJC camp, SuperSeries.

You know he's going back for another month of skating work to give him the best chance at pushing for the Sens roster next year. He'll certainly be in an uphill climb but he's seen what that work can do already...I think he should be a pretty solid player in Bingo in his rookie season.

Old
11-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
I don't mean to rain **** on peoples' parades, but people should temper their expectations with regards to young players.

I like to keep an eye on prospects, but you're going to get disappointed more often than not if you hold an attitude that some do around here.
I do agree with you, and its annoying how some people get really worked up on here and act like they know exactly how they will turn out.

But at the same time it's pretty easy for people to post that it doesn't matter what a player does until they are in the NHL. Some one posts that in every prospect thread. I think most of us understand how far these guys have to go still.

Stone's stock is rising a lot, and as a 6th rounder it's been pretty fun to follow. He could bust but he could also turn into a hell of a player

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:29 AM
source

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
I do agree with you, and its annoying how some people get really worked up on here and act like they know exactly how they will turn out.

But at the same time it's pretty easy for people to post that it doesn't matter what a player does until they are in the NHL. Some one posts that in every prospect thread. I think most of us understand how far these guys have to go still.

Stone's stock is rising a lot, and as a 6th rounder it's been pretty fun to follow. He could bust but he could also turn into a hell of a player
I am definitely excited about Stone, but I also won't be projecting a point-per-game from him in the AHL in his first pro season, nor will I expect him to contribute in the NHL right away.

I think many of the posters on this board are of a fairly young age, so they don't have the experience of watching a Sens prospect bust before their very eyes.

Old
11-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:

I don't mean to rain **** on peoples' parades, but people should temper their expectations with regards to young players. Before the pre-season (and even during), people around here would get **** on for saying that Filatov wouldn't stick with the team.

Any expectations I've made, some of these prospects are exceeding them. That's encouraging.

Old
11-18-2011, 11:31 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
I am definitely excited about Stone, but I also won't be projecting a point-per-game from him in the AHL in his first pro season, nor will I expect him to contribute in the NHL right away.

I think many of the posters on this board are of a fairly young age, so they don't have the experience of watching a Sens prospect bust before their very eyes.
Who did this?

Solid player meant like 30-40 points in Bingo.

Old
11-18-2011, 11:41 AM
source

Quote:
Who did this?

Solid player meant like 30-40 points in Bingo.
Mark my words it will happen on a large scale. I'm not accusing you of over-valuing our prospects at all, just others.

Old
11-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Mark my words it will happen on a large scale. I'm not accusing you of over-valuing our prospects at all, just others.
Oh his rep on here will blow the **** up if he makes the WJC team . I do think with all the success he's having leading up to this, he may have a pretty sweet role on that team. Could easily be flanking one of the top skill pivots come Christmas.

Old
11-18-2011, 12:08 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:

lol "too good to be true" is just an expression, get off your cynical horse. I'm just saying that I'm having a hard time realizing it as opposed to a few years ago where we were starving for young talent.

Like MOO said, I thought Fransoo was our worst pick in the last draft where we had 11 picks (if you count Filatov as a pick)... But apparently, we can't even count him out just yet. I'm not banking on him to become a NHLer at all, but having more guys with that potential translates into more success down the road. Really simple concept, isn't?

Quote:

I have a thick skin, I can survive easily with hockey disappointements. I have seen a lot worse in life, so hockey remains just a passion and an entertainment. Don't even worry for me. Thanks

Quote:
Any expectations I've made, some of these prospects are exceeding them. That's encouraging.
Same, most prospects do better than I thought they would, that's why it is so much fun to follow them actually. Aren't we here for that? Fun?

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Smeddy
Intangibles

I think Stone will get 2PPG in his first AHL season.

Sarcasm

Smeddy is offline   Reply With Quote