HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

State of the GTHL

Old
09-30-2011, 02:24 PM
The Lollipop King
4th Line = all heart

vCash: 500
State of the GTHL

I was wondering if anyone else here playing in the GTHL has noticed how bad the league has become. They are going way overboard with these new rules on headshots and suspensions. Last game of of 60 Minutes of play we only had 6 Minutes of 5v5 hockey. That is ridiculous. Any big hit is called regardless of there is a headshot or not.

I know the league is doing this because they think parents wont sign there kids up becuase of a violent image, but damn, I dont even enjoy playing hockey anymore because of the constant penaltys. For the first time in a long time, if ever even, I just wanted the game to end so I could go hope.

They are going to ruin the league soon.

The Lollipop King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 08:29 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lollipop King View Post
I was wondering if anyone else here playing in the GTHL has noticed how bad the league has become. They are going way overboard with these new rules on headshots and suspensions. Last game of of 60 Minutes of play we only had 6 Minutes of 5v5 hockey. That is ridiculous. Any big hit is called regardless of there is a headshot or not.

I know the league is doing this because they think parents wont sign there kids up becuase of a violent image, but damn, I dont even enjoy playing hockey anymore because of the constant penaltys. For the first time in a long time, if ever even, I just wanted the game to end so I could go hope.

They are going to ruin the league soon.
Not the league, that's the new hockey canada rule.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Canadian91

Yeah, it isn't only the GTHL that's tough on these rules. I watched a Major Midget Rep B game last night in the ODMHA, and at least 25 penalties were called, with more than half of them being Head Contact rule. Hockey Canada is telling their refs to call everything they see that involves anything touching the head. This video explains it well:

Canadian91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 02:40 PM
McDuul

vCash: 50
I am playing u21 in the GTHL this year, coming from the OMHA. I can tell you this new headshot rule and cracking down on calls is happening across Canada.

McDuul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 06:30 PM
The Lollipop King
4th Line = all heart

Its killing the game. Every big hit is basically a penalty

Old
10-02-2011, 07:45 PM
johnny1976

Not to sound like an ahole, but have you ever wondered why Canada and the US are going this way? Checking back in my day (growing up in the early 80's) we were taught to ride the player off the puck. We put our shoulder into the other players body and rode them off the puck. We didn't bring our hands up and push off, or target the head, we just got our bodies between the puck and the other player.

It seems now a days everybody is trying for that big hit to "light" somebody and 9 times out of 10 it doesn't work. Here is an example, my son and I were at our local rink and a defenseman stepped up to make that big hit, he made the huge hit and took himself out of the play that resulted in a 2 on 1 and a goal for the other team. My son said "dad did you see that hit" and I said yeah but did you notice how the other team scored.

johnny1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:04 AM
Finnish your Czech
BestPosterAvailable

vCash: 50
yeah, it's pretty bad. I guess it's the best way to crack down on it though, thank god it's my last year of playing though

I remember our first game we played was brutal. Penalties everywhere.

Finnish your Czech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:13 AM
Ruslan Zainullin

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny1976 View Post
Not to sound like an ahole, but have you ever wondered why Canada and the US are going this way? Checking back in my day (growing up in the early 80's) we were taught to ride the player off the puck. We put our shoulder into the other players body and rode them off the puck. We didn't bring our hands up and push off, or target the head, we just got our bodies between the puck and the other player.

It seems now a days everybody is trying for that big hit to "light" somebody and 9 times out of 10 it doesn't work. Here is an example, my son and I were at our local rink and a defenseman stepped up to make that big hit, he made the huge hit and took himself out of the play that resulted in a 2 on 1 and a goal for the other team. My son said "dad did you see that hit" and I said yeah but did you notice how the other team scored.
i'm 27, so about 10-15 years younger than you from the sounds of things. we started checking in peewee, and it wasnt about "knocking the guy off the puck with your shoulder" when we started hitting it became a whole lot less about playing hockey and more about taking runs at guys. I have 3 hockey related concussions that have been diagnosed, there may be more, I quit first year midget after i got run head first into the boards from a nasty hit from behind and suffered a neck injury that wasn't very nice.

Honestly i'm glad hockey canada is going this way. In this country things have gotten pretty wild with teenagers playing hockey, we need to cool it on the macho attitude that is so prevalent in this country and start thinking a little more about safety.

Ruslan Zainullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:36 AM
The Lollipop King
4th Line = all heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny1976 View Post

Most coaches try to get their defencemen to step up on an opposing player coming down on them. I play D and I hear it all the time from the bench when this situation occurs. its hard to make the hit in the first place, and usually there is a trailer to pick up a lose puck which is why I dont often go for the hit, but as I said its the coaches too, not just a player looking for a big hit.

Players also need to learn how to position themselves along the boards. A lot of players like to turn at the last second instead of taking a hit and end up getting hit from behind. Also people need to keep their heads up, I see people skating with their heads down all day.