HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Goaltending thread: Triple threat? (All things Islanders Goaltending)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-15-2011, 01:21 PM
  #251
number72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,883
vCash: 500
Islanders GM Garth Snow told Eric Francis that there isn’t much interest in Evgeni Nabokov.

This is showing just how poor Snow's decisions can be; waive nabby, make room for some AHLers and move on.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 01:43 PM
  #252
rollin109
Registered User
 
rollin109's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Islanders GM Garth Snow told Eric Francis that there isnít much interest in Evgeni Nabokov.

This is showing just how poor Snow's decisions can be; waive nabby, make room for some AHLers and move on.
Of course there is no interest. There is not secret now that we NEED to unload a goaltender and that he absolutely doesn't want to be here. I think whoever may have had interest is now just waiting for him to be put on waivers because it is inevitable at this point unless someone want to just give up a 6th round pick to get him right now.

rollin109 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 03:17 PM
  #253
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 14,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Islanders GM Garth Snow told Eric Francis that there isnít much interest in Evgeni Nabokov.

This is showing just how poor Snow's decisions can be; waive nabby, make room for some AHLers and move on.
If that's the case, put him on waivers and let someone claim him for nothing. We didn't pay anything for him. No need to profit off this guy and create a locker room issue.

__________________
Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 09:39 PM
  #254
Bunk Moreland
Moderator
 
Bunk Moreland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 12,865
vCash: 234
Anybody listen to the radio broadcast? They played an interview with Nabakov during one of the breaks and the question was something like "After spending the last few years on the west coast how are you doing adjusting to playing on the Islanders?" His response: "Ha, would help if I was playing.. it's tough with three goalies" Not word for word just going from memory but it was pretty much that and he didn't sound happy on interview.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:47 PM
  #255
blitzkriegs
Registered User
 
blitzkriegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Beach & Mtn & Island
Posts: 8,821
vCash: 500
The guy did play on an annual playoff team his entire career and then made a major UFA mistake. He then tried to sneaky Pete it back into another perennial contender and got burned. Oh well dude, lesson learned, welcome to purgatory!

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:49 PM
  #256
blitzkriegs
Registered User
 
blitzkriegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Beach & Mtn & Island
Posts: 8,821
vCash: 500
Nice float to the press by Toronto that they talked to Turco - a guy with zero game experience and practicing on the side. Obvious float to drive down Snow's insane asking price.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:58 PM
  #257
number72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Nice float to the press by Toronto that they talked to Turco - a guy with zero game experience and practicing on the side. Obvious float to drive down Snow's insane asking price.
Also interest by Toronto in Tuuka Rask in Boston.
Or maybe they want a younger goalie.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:59 PM
  #258
number72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin De Haan Job View Post
Anybody listen to the radio broadcast? They played an interview with Nabakov during one of the breaks and the question was something like "After spending the last few years on the west coast how are you doing adjusting to playing on the Islanders?" His response: "Ha, would help if I was playing.. it's tough with three goalies" Not word for word just going from memory but it was pretty much that and he didn't sound happy on interview.
Worse for the team. What does it say to the team when Cappy doesn't start the best goalie each night in net? It is a cancer in the locker room that no one really talks about.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 01:17 AM
  #259
Small Brain Presence
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 379
vCash: 500
So Capuano's theory of handling goaltenders is -- Win a game and sit out the next four?

Small Brain Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 07:16 AM
  #260
leaponover
Registered User
 
leaponover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iskan, S. Korea
Country: South Korea
Posts: 2,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyisles View Post
Missed the Boston game, eh?
Actually that is the only game I haven't seen this year... but are you seriously denying the fact that Montoya was poor that start? From the replay of the goals Boston scored weren't many of them on the powerplay and the defense obviously left the goalie out to dry. I'm not talking "let's look at the stats at the end of the game" type of examination. Montoya cost us that game letting in two bad goals. It was the first weak performance of any goalie this season discounting the Boston game that I missed. Even if the goalie in the Boston game was piss poor that evens him up with Montoya.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 07:19 AM
  #261
Brunomics
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Medford
Country: United States
Posts: 5,276
vCash: 500
If they are going to keep Nabokov around playing like this just let Montoya go already. I don't care who is in the net anymore because honestly it doesn't matter. You'll get a good honest effort from Montoya, Nabokov, and even DP but since the rest of the team sucks donkey dick it doesn't matter who they get rid of or who they start.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 07:25 AM
  #262
Hip Of Rick
Registered User
 
Hip Of Rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,399
vCash: 500
Trade Nabby for an 8th round pick Snow showing he is too gutless to do something to change the team. The return does not matter, 3 goalies does not work. One would think that a goalie turned GM would know this but he isn't even an expert about his old position. SNOW MUST GO!

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:16 AM
  #263
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Brain Presence View Post
So Capuano's theory of handling goaltenders is -- Win a game and sit out the next four?
Do you really think Capuano is being allowed to make this decision?

The goaltender for each and every night is at least being heavily influenced by management - and honestly, it has to be at this point.

Nabokov is the marketable goaltender and they are desperately trying to shop him. The 3-headed carousel must come to and end - sooner rather than later.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:18 AM
  #264
blitzkriegs
Registered User
 
blitzkriegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Beach & Mtn & Island
Posts: 8,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Brain Presence View Post
So Capuano's theory of handling goaltenders is -- Win a game and sit out the next four?
You actually think Cappy is making the goalie decision? Right...

He goes from never saying anything about his starting goalie, to now announcing Nabby is starting well before the game.

This one is on Matt Millen - I mean Snow.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 03:01 PM
  #265
TheBoss22
Registered User
 
TheBoss22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,765
vCash: 500
Doug MacLean on Hockeycentral today said:

"Nabokov, the Islanders are holding on to him because they don't trust DiPietro's health".

Neither Millard nor Kypreos challenged that comment.

I think MacLean heard wrong info, but I thought I'd pass it along.

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:08 PM
  #266
redbull
Expect more
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss22 View Post
Doug MacLean on Hockeycentral today said:

"Nabokov, the Islanders are holding on to him because they don't trust DiPietro's health".

Neither Millard nor Kypreos challenged that comment.

I think MacLean heard wrong info, but I thought I'd pass it along.
I heard that as well....I really think they don't know, just guessing.

But seriously, we have THREE good goalies on a really bad team. If we trade ONE and ONE gets hurt, are we really any worse off?

Is: Nabby, Montoya, DP significantly worse than:

Montoya, Poulin/Nilsson (if DP gets hurt?)

Will it make the difference between 13th in the conference or 14th?

redbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 06:29 PM
  #267
leaponover
Registered User
 
leaponover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iskan, S. Korea
Country: South Korea
Posts: 2,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I heard that as well....I really think they don't know, just guessing.

But seriously, we have THREE good goalies on a really bad team. If we trade ONE and ONE gets hurt, are we really any worse off?

Is: Nabby, Montoya, DP significantly worse than:

Montoya, Poulin/Nilsson (if DP gets hurt?)

Will it make the difference between 13th in the conference or 14th?
+1000, make a decision already...

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 06:45 PM
  #268
TheBoss22
Registered User
 
TheBoss22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,765
vCash: 500
With Filatov rumoured to wanting to play in the KHL over the minors.

Should Snow offer Nabokov for Filatov?

If Filatov continues to be a bust it's not like we invested anything to get him.

Ottawa could use Nabokov who's arguable better than what they currently have (definitely better than Auld).

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 07:10 PM
  #269
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss22 View Post
With Filatov rumoured to wanting to play in the KHL over the minors.

Should Snow offer Nabokov for Filatov?

If Filatov continues to be a bust it's not like we invested anything to get him.

Ottawa could use Nabokov who's arguable better than what they currently have (definitely better than Auld).
I actually like that idea. It's a gamble, but so were Moulson and Grabner.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 02:32 AM
  #270
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)
 
NYI JT91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mastic, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,710
vCash: 102
Montoya
Dipietro

Dipietro gets hurt then we have Poulin / Nilsson

Trade Nabby in a package with bailey or comeau or both. Or trade Nabby for say a 4th round pick then use the 4th rounder as a sweetner to bring in some better talent. This needs to happen soon.

If we dont soon we will have 3 goalies that dont want to be here.

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 05:04 AM
  #271
nhlfan9191
Registered User
 
nhlfan9191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatoon, Sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesallday View Post
Montoya
Dipietro

Dipietro gets hurt then we have Poulin / Nilsson

Trade Nabby in a package with bailey or comeau or both. Or trade Nabby for say a 4th round pick then use the 4th rounder as a sweetner to bring in some better talent. This needs to happen soon.

If we dont soon we will have 3 goalies that dont want to be here.
Have you been following hockey at all? Nobody wants to give a 4th rounder for him. Heck, they don't want to give a ninth rounder for him. The other GM's can smell Snow's desperation to trade Nabokov and it's killed any chance of trading him. Not great managing.... I'm no fan of the crybaby spoiled Evgeny, but you would think any half decent GM could snag atleast a little something for him in a trade.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 05:30 AM
  #272
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)
 
NYI JT91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mastic, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,710
vCash: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Have you been following hockey at all? Nobody wants to give a 4th rounder for him. Heck, they don't want to give a ninth rounder for him. The other GM's can smell Snow's desperation to trade Nabokov and it's killed any chance of trading him. Not great managing.... I'm no fan of the crybaby spoiled Evgeny, but you would think any half decent GM could snag atleast a little something for him in a trade.
Um, Yes ive been watching hockey. Ive missed under 10 Islander games since 1996..No need to make dumb remarks because of an idea. Trust me a team loses a goalie for a while etc..Eventually Nabokov will fetch a 4th, give it time. Hes proven hes still capable of being a # 1 goalie so even if he cant fetch much now..He is worth that. Unless your saying a # 1 goalie cant get a 4th rounder in return ?? If they hold him till the deadline and a team is in trouble goaltending wise, I absolutely guarantee you he can get a even higher return then a 4th maybe a 3rd or 2nd depending if he continues to play this well.

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 09:57 PM
  #273
nhlfan9191
Registered User
 
nhlfan9191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatoon, Sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesallday View Post
Um, Yes ive been watching hockey. Ive missed under 10 Islander games since 1996..No need to make dumb remarks because of an idea. Trust me a team loses a goalie for a while etc..Eventually Nabokov will fetch a 4th, give it time. Hes proven hes still capable of being a # 1 goalie so even if he cant fetch much now..He is worth that. Unless your saying a # 1 goalie cant get a 4th rounder in return ?? If they hold him till the deadline and a team is in trouble goaltending wise, I absolutely guarantee you he can get a even higher return then a 4th maybe a 3rd or 2nd depending if he continues to play this well.
I didn't mean to come across rude. But you're right, he could have been worth something. But because of the Situation Snow created in the net in long island, teams know he will be put on waivers soon. Not to mention he's hurt now. Snow should just move on already.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:15 PM
  #274
number72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,883
vCash: 500
Is nabokov broken now?

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 03:23 AM
  #275
nhlfan9191
Registered User
 
nhlfan9191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatoon, Sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Is nabokov broken now?
Mhm.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.