HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goaltending thread: Triple threat? (All things Islanders Goaltending)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-07-2011, 09:35 AM
  #401
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,060
vCash: 500
No it likely wouldn't work to get him voted in. But we could make some noise.

it's crazy how the organization just won't commit to him. Why is stroking DPs ego more important than the club winning games? He's bad for the organization. It's also no wonder that the team has played so much better when he was off the roster. Their 3 best games of the year all were with Rick not dressed. I don't think that's a complete coincidence. I can understand if the players felt the organization revolves around him all because of his contract.

Is there any doubt that if Rick was playing as well as Al is, then Rick would be named the true #1?

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 10:29 AM
  #402
OpAck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Wilmington, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
yea i 100% agree with you there. the problem is when you have less then 10k fans in your building each and every night do people care what we have to say =(
i was at the game last night it was so empty
No question about it, I hear ya on that. We're not exactly strength in numbers!

But even a couple dozen Isles fans spreading the message around on Twitter and a couple different sites that we're pushing for Monty to be in the All-Star game...it's at least making some noise and makes people realize Montoya's got a contingent of Isles fans that want him to stick around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
No it likely wouldn't work to get him voted in. But we could make some noise.

it's crazy how the organization just won't commit to him. Why is stroking DPs ego more important than the club winning games? He's bad for the organization. It's also no wonder that the team has played so much better when he was off the roster. Their 3 best games of the year all were with Rick not dressed. I don't think that's a complete coincidence. I can understand if the players felt the organization revolves around him all because of his contract.

Is there any doubt that if Rick was playing as well as Al is, then Rick would be named the true #1?
I'm convinced the Isles would love to test Rick's lower body by giving him a run as #1 for awhile. And not these 2 or 3 games here and there...I'm talking "clear cut starter/live up to your contract" run of 13 out of 15 games, mixed in with a set of back to backs. Problem is, Rick hasn't even proven he can get by 1 or 2 games without letting in a costly soft goal or just putting an average to subpar effort. He also can't seem to play a string of games without sustaining some kind of injury. Last season, it was some minor knee swelling early in the season, and then came the broken face/more knee swelling...and this season, it's a concussion and now a groin issue where there's no timetable for return.

Serious injury...string of 8 games at AHL-quality effort...season ending injury...4 games at NHL backup-quality effort...minor injury...5 games of beer league-quality effort...season ending injury...6 games of ECHL-quality effort...indefinite return injury...rinse, repeat. That has been Rick's story these past few seasons and there has been no sign yet that he can return to form and live up to that contract.

But yeah, it does appear as if the organization keeps catering to him and giving him all the time he needs to "return to form" while not pressuring him to hang up the skates. I was on board with that up until about the end of season 2 of the Rick DiPietro Rebuild Project. But the poor play and injuries keep comin...and we now have another former first rounder in net who is 5 years younger, and has played 3 dozen games as an Islander and consistently remained among the top 15 in the league in save % and GAA throughout all of those games on an Islander team with a subpar core of defensemen. We also have another netminder who is 10 years younger than Rick, and who Patrick Roy once called the best goalie in Canadian junior hockey and is a very promising young player.

The fans are certainly ready to move on.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 11:22 AM
  #403
ScaredStreit
Registered User
 
ScaredStreit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
No question about it, I hear ya on that. We're not exactly strength in numbers!

But even a couple dozen Isles fans spreading the message around on Twitter and a couple different sites that we're pushing for Monty to be in the All-Star game...it's at least making some noise and makes people realize Montoya's got a contingent of Isles fans that want him to stick around.



I'm convinced the Isles would love to test Rick's lower body by giving him a run as #1 for awhile. And not these 2 or 3 games here and there...I'm talking "clear cut starter/live up to your contract" run of 13 out of 15 games, mixed in with a set of back to backs. Problem is, Rick hasn't even proven he can get by 1 or 2 games without letting in a costly soft goal or just putting an average to subpar effort. He also can't seem to play a string of games without sustaining some kind of injury. Last season, it was some minor knee swelling early in the season, and then came the broken face/more knee swelling...and this season, it's a concussion and now a groin issue where there's no timetable for return.

Serious injury...string of 8 games at AHL-quality effort...season ending injury...4 games at NHL backup-quality effort...minor injury...5 games of beer league-quality effort...season ending injury...6 games of ECHL-quality effort...indefinite return injury...rinse, repeat. That has been Rick's story these past few seasons and there has been no sign yet that he can return to form and live up to that contract.

But yeah, it does appear as if the organization keeps catering to him and giving him all the time he needs to "return to form" while not pressuring him to hang up the skates. I was on board with that up until about the end of season 2 of the Rick DiPietro Rebuild Project. But the poor play and injuries keep comin...and we now have another former first rounder in net who is 5 years younger, and has played 3 dozen games as an Islander and consistently remained among the top 15 in the league in save % and GAA throughout all of those games on an Islander team with a subpar core of defensemen. We also have another netminder who is 10 years younger than Rick, and who Patrick Roy once called the best goalie in Canadian junior hockey and is a very promising young player.

The fans are certainly ready to move on.
We need to move on from DP. I've been one of his biggest supporters, but last year was just the straw that broke the camel's back for me...and this year? Just retire Rick. Do the right thing.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 11:46 AM
  #404
nyisles
Moderator
 
nyisles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suffolk
Country: United States
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to nyisles Send a message via AIM to nyisles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
it's crazy how the organization just won't commit to him. Why is stroking DPs ego more important than the club winning games? He's bad for the organization.
I have a feeling it's more about Wang's ego than Ricky's at this point. The guy already had to bite the bullet and admit (via buyout) that he was wrong on one idiot contract, I'm sure he's quite reluctant to do it a second time.

__________________
nyisles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 04:48 PM
  #405
ScaredStreit
Registered User
 
ScaredStreit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyisles View Post
I have a feeling it's more about Wang's ego than Ricky's at this point. The guy already had to bite the bullet and admit (via buyout) that he was wrong on one idiot contract, I'm sure he's quite reluctant to do it a second time.
Great point.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 07:42 PM
  #406
Stercrazy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
We need to move on from DP. I've been one of his biggest supporters, but last year was just the straw that broke the camel's back for me...and this year? Just retire Rick. Do the right thing.
I'm right with you. People love to see a come back story but I just don't believe this is going to be one of them. DP needs to really look in the mirror and ask himself is he physically capable of playing at a high level in the NHL? He knows the answer. And he knows what he needs to do.

Stercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 07:55 PM
  #407
seafoam
Registered User
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,063
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercrazy View Post
I'm right with you. People love to see a come back story but I just don't believe this is going to be one of them. DP needs to really look in the mirror and ask himself is he physically capable of playing at a high level in the NHL? He knows the answer. And he knows what he needs to do.
It will happen...I know it. Wang will become a decent owner, we'll get an arena and spend and flourish. This franchise has been through too much pain for it not to happen.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:13 PM
  #408
IslandersFan17
Registered User
 
IslandersFan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach
Country: United States
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
It will happen...I know it. Wang will become a decent owner, we'll get an arena and spend and flourish. This franchise has been through too much pain for it not to happen.
Keep in mind the Balckhawks and the Pens were in similar if not worse situations than the Islanders are in right now. There is too much history on LI with hockey for the Islanders to not return to glory.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:31 AM
  #409
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)
 
NYI JT91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mastic, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,736
vCash: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyisles View Post
I have a feeling it's more about Wang's ego than Ricky's at this point. The guy already had to bite the bullet and admit (via buyout) that he was wrong on one idiot contract, I'm sure he's quite reluctant to do it a second time.
Exactly. The plain and simple ugly truth.

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:56 AM
  #410
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesallday View Post
Exactly. The plain and simple ugly truth.
Well, with Wang/Milbury, MILBURY stepped down. Wang wouldn't budge on that. Yashin? It took a fanbase going ballistic for that to happen.

Maybe Rick will just retire or say he wants to be bought out. Hey, it's Christmas, the time of miracles.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:58 AM
  #411
2LeftSkates
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 330
vCash: 500
Is it me, or has his beard been looking whiter recently?

2LeftSkates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 03:36 AM
  #412
ScaredStreit
Registered User
 
ScaredStreit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
Keep in mind the Balckhawks and the Pens were in similar if not worse situations than the Islanders are in right now. There is too much history on LI with hockey for the Islanders to not return to glory.
Gambler's fallacy. I hope they do return to glory-but the reality is that's not going to happen anytime soon.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 06:26 AM
  #413
lorwood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
Gambler's fallacy. I hope they do return to glory-but the reality is that's not going to happen anytime soon.
+1

The reality is that the current management and economic situation has to undergo dramatic changes first.

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:25 PM
  #414
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)
 
NYI JT91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mastic, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,736
vCash: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Well, with Wang/Milbury, MILBURY stepped down. Wang wouldn't budge on that. Yashin? It took a fanbase going ballistic for that to happen.

Maybe Rick will just retire or say he wants to be bought out. Hey, it's Christmas, the time of miracles.
Thats all I want for Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeftSkates View Post
Is it me, or has his beard been looking whiter recently?
Yes it is gowing some whites. Idk why he does'nt shave that nasty thing

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 10:09 PM
  #415
number72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,883
vCash: 500
Montoya is pretty solid goalie in net.
This season would be terrible without him backstopping.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:06 PM
  #416
Ziggy16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,006
vCash: 500
Nabokov is back, Poulin sent back to the bridge..

DP still no where to be found

Ziggy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:15 AM
  #417
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)
 
NYI JT91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mastic, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,736
vCash: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Montoya is pretty solid goalie in net.
This season would be terrible without him backstopping.
The season would already be over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy16 View Post
Nabokov is back, Poulin sent back to the bridge..

DP still no where to be found
Good news.

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:52 AM
  #418
OpAck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Wilmington, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,236
vCash: 500
Alot changes in ONE day...

Just so I got this straight...Nabokov makes a save and injured his groin during a game just before Thanksgiving. Recovery listed at 3-4 weeks and he goes on IR. 2 weeks later, Rick, who had been absolutely atrocious in the minutes leading up, makes a save and injured his groin. No timetable for his recovery. Poulin is called up. One day later, Nabokov is back skating with the team. Fast forward about a week and 1/2...Nabby comes off IR, Poulin goes back down. One day later, Rick goes on IR with indefinite status for his groin, and Nabby has more discomfort....somewhere. Poulin called back up.

Only on Long Island.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 08:25 AM
  #419
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)
 
NYI JT91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mastic, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,736
vCash: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
Alot changes in ONE day...

Just so I got this straight...Nabokov makes a save and injured his groin during a game just before Thanksgiving. Recovery listed at 3-4 weeks and he goes on IR. 2 weeks later, Rick, who had been absolutely atrocious in the minutes leading up, makes a save and injured his groin. No timetable for his recovery. Poulin is called up. One day later, Nabokov is back skating with the team. Fast forward about a week and 1/2...Nabby comes off IR, Poulin goes back down. One day later, Rick goes on IR with indefinite status for his groin, and Nabby has more discomfort....somewhere. Poulin called back up.

Only on Long Island.
I just saw this now, its so true and funny but also sad

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:18 AM
  #420
Knish Of The Crease
Registered User
 
Knish Of The Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Country: United States
Posts: 2,559
vCash: 500
Hi, I just answered the Ad for "Hockey Goalie Needed on Long Island" and they directed me here. Can someone please give me a brief discription of what the job entails? Thanks! Merry Christmas

Knish Of The Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:26 AM
  #421
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)
 
NYI JT91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mastic, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,736
vCash: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ MAC View Post
Hi, I just answered the Ad for "Hockey Goalie Needed on Long Island" and they directed me here. Can someone please give me a brief discription of what the job entails? Thanks! Merry Christmas
I will save you a hip, knee, 12 groins, a couple concussions and entire fan base hating you and wishing you dead...just walk away my friend...walk away. Circus is cheap and about as amusing and you get your moneys worth, try that.

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:41 AM
  #422
Knish Of The Crease
Registered User
 
Knish Of The Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Country: United States
Posts: 2,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesallday View Post
I will save you a hip, knee, 12 groins, a couple concussions and entire fan base hating you and wishing you dead...just walk away my friend...walk away. Circus is cheap and about as amusing and you get your moneys worth, try that.
Thank you for your prompt response. It seems my job as a **** shoveler will pay bigger dividends in the long run.

Knish Of The Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:47 AM
  #423
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)
 
NYI JT91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mastic, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,736
vCash: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ MAC View Post
Thank you for your prompt response. It seems my job as a **** shoveler will pay bigger dividends in the long run.
Logic. My man. Lets call Garth and Charles and try to share some with them...No, nevermind... Charles has his "hockey for dummies" book, that is where it started and ends.

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 02:51 AM
  #424
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)
 
NYI JT91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mastic, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,736
vCash: 102
Ok so we are 35 games into the season here is your goaltenders up to date stats so far :


GP GA W L O S SV%
17 2.46 6 5 3 0 .917 Montoya
13 2.60 3 8 0 0 .915 Nabokov

08 3.73 3 2 3 0 .876 Rick
02 4.85 0 1 0 0 .849 Nilsson
01 3.05 0 1 0 0 .897 Poulin

(In order by games played)

Think we can all agree that Montoya has been our #1 with Nabokov at a close 2nd and no clear cut # 3. I will say if Montoya and Nabby were both hurt and out I would be most comfortable / confident with Poulin in net.


Last edited by NYI JT91: 12-31-2011 at 02:58 AM.
NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.