HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goaltending thread: Triple threat? (All things Islanders Goaltending)

Old
10-09-2011, 02:36 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
I think some of you here are grossly overrating Al Montoya and have seriously over-inflated his value around the rest of the league.
First of all, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he cleared waivers. As for the teams you are suggesting, Florida already has a log-jam with Jose Theodore, Jakub Marstrom and Scott Clemmensen. Montoya offers them no clear upgrade on any of those tenders, so Florida wouldn't claim him. Edmonton has Khabibulin and Dubnyk, neither of whom would be unseated by Montoya and ditto for Ottawa with Anderson and Auld. Then you list Phoenix, the team that already decided they had no plans for Montoya and traded him in the first place?

I don't see a team in the league that I could say would be better by claiming Al Montoya. If it came down to it, I think the Islanders could waive him and he'd clear.
I gotta disagree - it's not over-valuing Montoya as much as it is recognizing the position the team would be in if he were to get claimed. Not worth gambling.

Think about it: Nabby gets waived, DEFINITELY gets acquired, and the stand that Snow took last year is a moot point, having let the asset go for nothing.

DP gets waived, no one touches him with a ten foot pole....and if they did, I know roughly half a fanbase that wouldn't be too upset. They'd miss his heart, not his attitude, stats, injuries or contract.

Montoya gets waived, easily could get picked up due to his minimal caphit, and the Isles have to ride DP, Nabby, and eventually wind up rushing Poulin again since we know DP isn't staying healthy for very long.

Say what you want about Montoya, but he's the strongest option between guys who are in the twilight of their careers (Nabby, possibly DP), guys who can't stay healthy to save their lives (definitely DP) and guys too young to rush into 1B status so quick (Poulin, Nilsson, Koskinen.)

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Isles Fan

Having three netminders is never a threat. It's a curse.

The great Billy Smith once said when you have three goalies you ruin two. This is when it was he, Melanson and Hrudy. The three headed monster will have to be dealt with eventually. Sooner rather than later I hope.

Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:24 PM
JetsMetsIsles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post
Having three netminders is never a threat. It's a curse.

The great Billy Smith once said when you have three goalies you ruin two. This is when it was he, Melanson and Hrudy. The three headed monster will have to be dealt with eventually. Sooner rather than later I hope.
I think Nabakov will be traded.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 11:12 PM
number72

Why does anyone think Poulin is the answer to islanders goalie issues? If Montayo maintains his save % from last year, this coming year he will be in the top NHL goalies. The only goalies that had a better save % were Rinne, Lundqvist, Vokoun, Thomas, Luongo and Price. That is some fine company and Poulin will have some trouble breaking into that level.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 04:07 AM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

vCash: 102
So far its loooking like Mr Montoya in the lead !

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 05:22 PM
Madskillz65

Seriously, what are the odds Nabokov gets some starts or gets traded? My fantasy team is relying on it...

Madskillz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Hipster Doofus

Al Montoya all day erry day

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 06:08 PM
periferal

Nabokov Speaks

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-goalie-system

Reading between the lines, it sounds like Nabokov is saying, "I'm really not thrilled with this 3-goalie situation, but I'll do my best not to be a distraction now. However if I don't get some playing time in the near future, all bets are off..."

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 08:24 PM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

Then there was 2. Is it fair to say Montoya may just be what we were suppose to get with Dipietro and maybe we got some luck for once ? The former first rounder is now looking like everyone hoped and with him being younger then rick, seems like a great thing for us. Hate rick keeps getting hurt I wanted him to be the guy and he did to...shame.

Old
10-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Tavaresfan91

who starts in TB tomorrow? and i would really like to see a pakage deal along the lines of Nabokov, Comeau and a 1st or 2nd round pick to get a legit top 4 defenseman....what you guys think

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 11:46 PM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madskillz65 View Post
Seriously, what are the odds Nabokov gets some starts or gets traded? My fantasy team is relying on it...
No offense but why did you build a fantasy team with Nabokov as your starter? It's been no secret that there are lots of other goalies on Long Island (and Bridgeport).

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 06:42 AM
HookeyPookey*

Which goalie is starting v Florida?

Anyone know?

HookeyPookey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 06:46 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Already mentioned this in the BPort thread, and Sneekeypete quickly replied, but I'm not happy with seeing Poulin and Nilsson allowing 4 or 5 goals against at the AHL level.

I thought these two were soooooooooooooooo special that opponents at that level would have to move mountains to even score 3 against the Tigers. I thought these boys would singlehandedly win games.

Maybe it'll come - I wanted it from the beginning. I know the defense (both the six Dmen and the defensive concept of the team) play a significant role, I just thought Poulin and Nilsson's pure skill would make up for any weaknesses elsewhere.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 10-20-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 06:54 AM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Already mentioned this in the BPort thread, and Sneekeypete quickly replied, but I'm not happy with seeing Poulin and Nilsson allowing 4 or 5 goals agains at the AHL level.

I thought these two were soooooooooooooooo special that opponents at that level would have to move mountains to even score 3 against the Tigers. I thought these boys would singlehandedly win games.

Maybe it'll come - I wanted it from the beginning. I know the defense (both the six Dmen and the defensive concept of the team) play a significant role, I just thought Poulin and Nilsson's pure skill would make up for any weaknesses elsewhere.
Agreed. I just looked at their stats like 2 hours ago and thought the same exact thing. Their games should pick back up though, escp. Poulins

Old
10-20-2011, 06:56 AM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
who starts in TB tomorrow? and i would really like to see a pakage deal along the lines of Nabokov, Comeau and a 1st or 2nd round pick to get a legit top 4 defenseman....what you guys think
I think montoya will start again. I think hes the better goalie. I think they gave Nabby the start against the Rags so he wouldnt get too rusty. Im fine with either goalie but Id like to see Monty in net tonight then Nabby vs fla unless monty has a real good game then I think you go with him again.

Old
10-20-2011, 06:58 AM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=996985 Starting threads that will last 3 posts long is kindof unnessecary look around theres a thread that says all thing Islanders goalies. this falls under that

Old
10-20-2011, 07:38 AM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookeyPookey View Post
Anyone know?
The guy who leads the team out from the locker room wearing his mask.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:50 AM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookeyPookey View Post
Anyone know?
Go to a fantasy website buddy

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:06 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

http://www.leftwinglock.com/starting-goalies/

Go there.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:09 AM
HookeyPookey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
thanks!

HookeyPookey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:24 AM
RWWallpaper

Jesus, I wish that DP would just go away...we have a good tandem now, more than capable of keeping us in enough games to challenge for a playoff spot and we have this ****ing albatross hanging around our God damn neck...

guy's like a case of herpes who always seems to flare up the instant you hook up with a hot chick...

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:25 AM
RWWallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
The guy who leads the team out from the locker room wearing his mask.
So your assuming Batman will be a healthy scratch tonight then?

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:25 AM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWWallpaper View Post
Jesus, I wish that DP would just go away...we have a good tandem now, more than capable of keeping us in enough games to challenge for a playoff spot and we have this ****ing albatross hanging around our God damn neck...

guy's like a case of herpes who always seems to flare up once you hook up with a hot chick...

I feel bad for him hes trys hard to be a big part of the team but its just the complete opposite, poor guy.

Last edited by NYI JT91: 10-21-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old
10-21-2011, 07:24 AM
IwayMike

Nabokov's Shot (or is that save)

Does the loss last night give Nabokov a shot to take over the starting job for a few games? Capuano said he would go with the hot goalie, so if Evgeni comes in and has a good game does he automatically get the next start?

IwayMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:31 AM
Brunomics

I think Nabokov has earned the Florida start, if he plays well and they win I think you'll see him the next game against Pitt, and if not then you'll see DP. But don't discount Montoya because of one game where the team in front of him didn't show up.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote