HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avery waived (10/5: Clears waivers)

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
I've always said he's a solid spare forward.
Define 'solid'?

Old
10-04-2011, 12:20 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
Ruckus the bottom line is if Avery is as anywhere close to as good a player as you say then another NHL team will see that and pick him up for his salary/cap number.

If he is not worth his salary/cap number to any other NHL team than there was no reason for us to hamstring our cap to keep him.
Unfortunately it's not the bottom line. If it were, then he'd still be here. This is Sean Avery, and you trying to act like that isn't a factor is naive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovazub94 View Post
This is the team discipline that Avery lacks (or he does not care for). Unless you want to stretch the argument and blame puck carrier every time. The bottom line is that he's just too expensive for 13 forward and less beneficial to the team if compared to other players with his cap hit. Again, locker room issues not withstanding.

You said that he puts himself above the team. How does being a milisecond offsides mean he is putting himself above the team? People act like I don't ever knock Sean, or I don't acknowledge the offsides and stuff like that. I do. I'm just smart enough to actually watch the game and realize that him going offsides once a game doesn't define him as a hockey player, or stupid enough to say that when he does it's because he "puts himself above the team".

Old
10-04-2011, 12:20 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Define 'solid'?
Maybe that if you poke him then you'll feel something, as opposed to a liquid or a gas?

10-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Peter The Great

Rangers waiving Sean Avery, the fan favorit and Lundqvist's friend and business partner?

I was looking forward watching Sean play in Stockholm.

Surprising, Sean Avery is such a big part of Rangers for me and a big part of the show.

I wonder when the team got to know about this.

Loosing against Zug yesterday??? *laugh*

I'm seriously concerned if this affected the team atmosphere in a negative way (wouldn't surprise me at all).

Erixon to the AHL and Sean Avery on the waivers.... ok....

Worst managed team in the NHL in tight competition with Maple Leafs?

Two rich classical teams with huge fanbases, huge wellknown brands, but they still continue to do things wrong.

Old
10-04-2011, 12:21 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
So, will every GM be an idiot if Avery is not taken? Or maybe he is overrated by his fan club.
Torts will be blamed for ruining Avery's career.

Old
10-04-2011, 12:22 PM
chip chipperson*

dumb move. the way torts used him is a ****ing joke. ****ing sucks

Old
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Define 'solid'?
As much as people hate him, he does have skill. And God forbid something happen to Richards, he can fill in on the first line since he's proven to play well with Gabby.

I wanted Sean on the team over him and also hate EC but I just try to look at everything as objectively as I can.

Old
satrabyk

Its all about ego and control under Torts, he cares about winning but he must do it his way. I dont like the fact that Avery looked good in preseason and is getting waived does not send a good message. This already decreases or depth up front.

Old
10-04-2011, 12:23 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Being waived doesn't mean he's being sent down. They could just be kicking the tires to see if there'd be a taker for him.

RANGERS =
Old
10-04-2011, 12:25 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Guys/Girls...

Please look at this objectively.

Avery + Bickel + Bell waived = Cap space.

Defense needs an addition.

Rangers are actively looking for a legit top six defenseman by Friday.

Top six defense >>>>>>>>> 13th forward.

If this directly helps the team get stronger where they are a tad weak right now, then so be it.

Good luck, Sean, Im still a fan.

Old
10-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Woopty doo. Let's debate who would you rather see in the press box more often than on the ice. If we're arguing about who should be our spare forward, you have to realize, they're not gonna be that much of an impact to the team. They both have their pros to that.

Always thought Avery brought more to his role and position than Christensen did to his. Anyway, I haven't watched any of the preseason really, so I kept up reading your opinions daily about them. Oh well.

Really indifferent about who would go and who would stay, but I was for sure Christensen would be the one to leave.

Figuring this is because Christensen is cheaper - which gives us more flexibility with the cap, more versatile than Avery though horribly inconsistent, depth down the middle, and we know about the shootouts...well, that's if he plays and we get to the shootout.

Old
chip chipperson*

2 chip chipperson mvp awards people

Old
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshirt4lyfe View Post
EC has 151 points in 338 games, which is about .45 PPG. Plus he's amazing in the shootout, is that really such a bad thing from our spare forward?
And how many points you think he'll get playing limited minutes? If you were gonna waive one guy then they should have waived both and just brought up a guy as needed.

Old
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Not the first player in recent memory to be poorly handled and managed by the Rangers, Johnny Cakes in particular.

The job of the front office and coaching staff is to put players in a position so that the team can get the best and most possible use out of them. The Rangers have failed in this regard when it comes to certain individuals, Avery among them.

Old
10-04-2011, 12:27 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
So, will every GM be an idiot if Avery is not taken? Or maybe he is overrated by his fan club.
Cause Sean Avery is assessed on his play right? Him not going to another team says zero about his ability to play the game, so don't act like your patented little quip is accurate.

Do me a favor...give me the 3rd and 4th liners of every team in this league once the season starts, and then start a thread to show everyone how every single one of those players is better than Sean Avery.

You'd never try to make that argument. Much like you never try to make any argument when it comes to Sean. Just little quips here and there.

Old
10-04-2011, 12:28 PM
jhnyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
This thread is going to be EPIC.

So much passion from a fan-base regarding a 4th line/13th forward.
Um... Isn't that a good thing? That we're so passionate, even about a 4th liner? When other teams struggle to find ANY sort of fans?

Old
10-04-2011, 12:29 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
EC does get a lot of hate especially for the amount of money he makes. I've always said he's a solid spare forward.

The hate just stems from the fact that everyone sees so much skill in this guy and he'll just disappear for 10 games. It's beyond infuriating.
And there is your answer for why EC gets so much hate...overwhelming ability and underwhelming performance.

Old
10-04-2011, 12:30 PM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Unfortunately it's not the bottom line. If it were, then he'd still be here. This is Sean Avery, and you trying to act like that isn't a factor is naive.
If you are saying he has a reputation for doing bad things that will hold NHL teams back from signing him whose fault is that?

Good players usually are in demand. If a player is worth his cap number than other NHL teams will come calling.

If Prust was cut other teams would come calling

If MDZ was cut other teams would come calling

If MZA was cut other teams would come calling

If Avery is as good as you say and worth his contract another team will come calling.

Old
10-04-2011, 12:32 PM
shoothepuck

Oh well.

Old
10-04-2011, 12:32 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
And there is your answer for why EC gets so much hate...overwhelming ability and underwhelming performance.
As a spare forward though, is he the worst option out there? It's one thing to be playing the top line like he was last year, it's another to be the 13th forward.

Old
10-04-2011, 12:34 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Guys/Girls...

Please look at this objectively.

Avery + Bickel + Bell waived = Cap space.

Defense needs an addition.

Rangers are actively looking for a legit top six defenseman by Friday.

Top six defense >>>>>>>>> 13th forward.

If this directly helps the team get stronger where they are a tad weak right now, then so be it.

Good luck, Sean, Im still a fan.
What do you think the opening ask from another team is when Sather comes knocking for a Top 6 dman? D-Step? Kreider? Erixon?

If getting a dman is the reason for this move then if they were gonna make this move they should have picked up Campoli for nothing.

Old
10-04-2011, 12:34 PM
SgtJoseph

Hopefully Avery comes to Philly ! Pull the trigger Homer ! Philly rolling into the Garden with Avery would be epic ! The whole league would be chirping about the BULLIES having Avery........NHL hockey is all about filling the seats boys and girls ! Do the right thing Homer ! Sign Avery !

Old
10-04-2011, 12:35 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
As a spare forward though, is he the worst option out there? It's one thing to be playing the top line like he was last year, it's another to be the 13th forward.
A streaky, inconsistent getting less ice time. Guess you hope to get him when he's right if/when he does play. Anything they get from him is gravy.

10-04-2011, 12:37 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

He had a $1.9M cap hit, and his game has been sputtering downward for years now. Thats all you really need to know.

If his name was Sean Jones and he didnt keep the masses entertained with circus antics, he'd be out of town a long time ago.

Old
10-04-2011, 12:39 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
If you are saying he has a reputation for doing bad things that will hold NHL teams back from signing him whose fault is that?

Good players usually are in demand. If a player is worth his cap number than other NHL teams will come calling.

If Prust was cut other teams would come calling

If MDZ was cut other teams would come calling

If MZA was cut other teams would come calling

If Avery is as good as you say and worth his contract another team will come calling.
His "reputation" is more myth than fact. He had a bad incident in Dallas with a team whose veterans admitted they didn't give him a fair chance when he first got there.

He's never had an issue his two stints in New York.

So is it his fault? Sure, partial. Unfortunately the legend of Sean Avery is far more crazy than the actual facts.

I'd like you try and make the argument for me that 11 goals and 33 points isn't worth $1.9 million.

Please go through every team's 3rd and 4th lines and try and tell me that Sean Avery isn't better than a ton of them.

The Devils just brought in Eric Boulton and Cam Janssen. You really want to try and argue that Sean Avery isn't a better player than them? Really? Please go on.

So save me the whole "if he's a good hockey player" crap. Cause at the end of the day that's not what it will come down to.

Closed Thread