HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avery waived (10/5: Clears waivers)

Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnake View Post
Well, I'm not a fan of "smacking" anyone I dont agree with. So he doesn't like hockey... who says he has to?

You understand that he's doing a radio show right? Some of the stuff he says is to get a rise out of people... he pushes Boomers buttons about hockey because he loves it so much.

I dont find Dane Cook funny either, but I like these guys. To each his own.
It's not about saying things that I don't agree with. It's about calling people derogatory names like he does. He doesn't have the balls to do that to peoples faces. That deserves a crack in the jaw.

Old
10-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Why has this reached 30 pages? Simple, Avery pisses off Brodeur, the Devils, and their fans and we get a kick out of it. That is the reason why.

Old
10-05-2011, 10:33 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
good thread. lots of misguided posts though.
hes a very good hockey player. lets break it down.

his skating is very strong.
he plays physical
he may be one of the best passers on the entire team
he can play on all 4 lines
his preseason was pretty darn good other than the incident with phily.
and lastly, he makes things happen.
Speaking of misguided.... One of the best passers on the entire team? Oh you mean those 90% of his passes where he goes behind the net and throws blind passes into the slot? Stepan, Del Zotto, MZA, Anisimov, all better at moving the puck than Sean Avery.... Avery does not have above average vision with the puck and he certainly doesn't have the hands or precision to make difficult passes in traffic... I can't tell you how many pucks got turned over from blind passes behind the net...

Can play on all 4 lines? Any coach can skate any player on any line, it doesn't mean that player effective in those roles on any regular basis... For a player who is frequently offsides and frequently causes stoppages because he doesn't know how to dump a puck in the zone without shooting it into the goaltender's glove, it's hard to imagine him as a guy who plays all 4 lines.... Especially a player who's only broken the 40 point mark once in his career?

Pretty darn good preseason? How many points did he put up? You're evaluating his preseason, as an NHL veteran, against CHL prospects and amateur hockey players, based on him doing what exactly? Throwing some hits and cycling the puck down low? High standards...

"Very good hockey player"? What are the standards for "very good" these days anyway? Hard to fathom that description for a player who:

A) Can't PK well
B) Sucks on the PP
C) Is average defensively
D) Hasn't been able to make a long term role for himself on any team
E) Has never put up a lot of points

If you said he was a "very good dresser", I might concur, but very good hockey player? That's having really low standards....

Old
10-05-2011, 10:40 AM
GAGLine

Avery played in 76 games last year, averaging 11:14 per game, for a total of 853:47. He had 25 minor penalties. The team had 12 misconduct penalties total. Avery had 6 of them. He scored 3 goals and 21 assists. 1 of his points came on the PP.

Christensen played in 63 games last year, averaging 12:46 per game, for a total of 803:50. He had 9 minor penalties and no misconducts. He scored 11 goals and 16 assists. 7 of his points came on the PP.

Offensively they are pretty even. Neither was used on the PK. Christensen has and can be used on the PP. Christensen contributes in the shootout. Avery does not. Christensen costs half as much as Avery. Christensen took almost 2/3rds less minor penalties.

Avery hits and fights. Christensen doesn't. We signed Rupp to a 3 year deal. Rupp hits and fights.

These are all facts. Interpret them as you choose.

Old
10-05-2011, 10:59 AM
MAYO

Hey GAG, nice number crunching, do you have a stat for how many penalties they drew?!? How many times did either of them stand up for a team mate on the ice, I think we all recall Gabby getting the crap kicked out of him and it was Aves who took it upon himself to settle the matter! Two different style of players, some hate him, some love him, but in the end, you haters would sit on the edge of your seat everytime he was on the ice waiting to see what the heck he was going to pull, just admit it, this team is not the same without him!

Old
10-05-2011, 11:07 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Well, every team in the NHL pretty much just agreed that Avery isn't worth 1.937 million/season.

Edit: maybe someone can change thread topic to note Avery cleared waivers.

Old
10-05-2011, 11:11 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Source?

It's just pain.
Old
10-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

NYP_Brooksie Larry Brooks
Avery took first flight this morning to NY out of Stockholm

Old
10-05-2011, 11:12 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Various tweets from notables (zipay, brooks, etc...)

Old
10-05-2011, 11:13 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Thanks, updated.

Old
10-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

He clears and is sent back home. Will be assigned to the Whale.

NYP_Brooksie Larry Brooks
Avery will be assigned to AHL Whale but not known how much time he/agent Pat Morris have been given by Sather to find alternative/report...

Old
10-05-2011, 11:22 AM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
That's not playoff experience though. Very little of it is.
Apparently a year was enough. Your argument fell apart 10 pages ago.

Answer me this:

If Torts is such a great coach why did we barely make the playoffs last year? Why did we play so poorly against a team that we had a winning record against in the regular season? Why did we fall flat on our faces and miss the playoffs the year before that with a career year from Gaborik?

You can ride Torts jock all you want but the results still aren't there. Renney was fired for doing more.

Old
10-05-2011, 11:22 AM
DrAStuart

Did anyone seriously expect him to be picked up?

Old
10-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAStuart View Post
Nope.

Old
10-05-2011, 11:33 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Based on some of the posts in this thread, I'd say so.... Individuals claiming that the Flyers and/or Islanders would claim him and he would come back to "hurt us".....

Old
10-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Avery played in 76 games last year, averaging 11:14 per game, for a total of 853:47. He had 25 minor penalties. The team had 12 misconduct penalties total. Avery had 6 of them. He scored 3 goals and 21 assists. 1 of his points came on the PP.

Christensen played in 63 games last year, averaging 12:46 per game, for a total of 803:50. He had 9 minor penalties and no misconducts. He scored 11 goals and 16 assists. 7 of his points came on the PP.

Offensively they are pretty even. Neither was used on the PK. Christensen has and can be used on the PP. Christensen contributes in the shootout. Avery does not. Christensen costs half as much as Avery. Christensen took almost 2/3rds less minor penalties.

Avery hits and fights. Christensen doesn't. We signed Rupp to a 3 year deal. Rupp hits and fights.

These are all facts. Interpret them as you choose.
I'm not going to give any facts, just a simple question...

Who would you rather play in your bottom 6? EC or Avery.

For the record, I don't want either of them on the team but at least I can see a role that Avery could fill.

EC is not a legit player in this league on any team...particularly not one that aims to be a contender this season.

Old
10-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
According to the lovers, you'd figure.

Realistically, no way.

Old
10-05-2011, 11:57 AM
nyrleetch

What are the chances he stays with the Whale?

Old
10-05-2011, 11:57 AM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
If he cleared waivers, is he going to stay with the Wolfpack? What happens now?

10-05-2011, 12:00 PM
levski87

I'll miss Avery. Stupid move by torts.

Old
10-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

I can see him being called up during the year, especially if we have an injury filled season again.

He's not leaving the NHL this season, in my opinion.

I can't see him walking away from $4 million.

I wouldn't be surprised if no NHL team would take his services and retires.

Old
10-05-2011, 12:20 PM
SERE 24
LGR

I don't think he can be called back up. I don't think we'd risk putting him on re-entry, so this is pretty much the official end of Avery in the NHL, at least for this contract (which ends at the end of the year - I could see someone taking a chance on him in the off-season, on like a $800k contract where if he causes problems or doesn't work out they can waive/bench him and forget they ever game him a try). I have no problem with the decision. From a personnel standpoint, it was kind of inevitable. I don't necessarily buy into the 'bad locker room presence' arguments; I think it really came down to money and role, and that's about it. To me, it feels like some posters who never liked him/wanted him gone and finally got their wish, are using this as an opportunity to say 'told you so' and build a 'he's a cancer' argument. I really just think it came down to his contract and his ability to contribute to this roster. Pretty redundant player, with his diminished effectiveness as an agitator and guys like Rupp, Prust, Boyle, Fedetenko all playing good physical, grinding games.

Arguments about Torts and the whole 'you have to earn it' crap. Who cares. We're talking about the extra forward position. Having Avery around if we have an injury in the bottom six isn't going to be a whole lot different than calling up Hagelin or Mitchell. Having Christensen around if we have an injury to one of our few skill/finesse guys is going to be a lot different than putting Mitchell in that slot for 5 or 6 games. I know everyone thinks you have to be a complete moron to coach/GM in professional sports (based on how many IDIOTIC decisions we seem to think EVERY team in sports makes each year, it has to be true), but these guys are actually where they are because, even if they're the worst in their league, they're still in the top 50 or so in the world at what they're doing.

Anyhow, Avery was a fan favorite (for many -- clearly others, not so much) and that's why we're seeing such a strong reaction to this move. Not because it wasn't fair. Not because it's the wrong move. People are finding fault with it because they're emotionally invested in Avery. It's pretty normal. I loved the guy. I'll miss the guy. But not REALLY his game. Just having Avery on the team. So, that era is over. Not that big of a deal. In an ideal world, if we had 6M in cap space already, we'd carry Avery as a spare until his contract was up at the end of the year and everyone would be happy. Avery would play 20-30 games. Christensen would play 20-30 games. That would be that. Since we already see, before the season has even begun, that we're going to need the cap space for injury call-ups and replacements, we can't pay Avery 2M to sit in the pressbox. Oh well.

Old
10-05-2011, 12:30 PM
NYRangers16

I love Avery, and will miss him greatly - but I've argued severaltimes now that we neec fewer grinders and more players with offensive skill. With Rupp Prust and Feds here we really didn't have room for Aves. Rupp was an upgrade at center and in terms of physical play plus he can play in a bunch of situations Avery can't. Feds is a much better defensive player and a solid vet with a good overall game. And Prust is a core guy as far as I'm concerned. So that really left Avery to battle it out with Wolski and MZA for those last 2 slots. MZA totally earned a spot in preseason and has the offensive game and potential where he had to get a spot over Aves...so it really came down toWolski vs Avery and as much as I don't really like Wolski, he has way more offensive game. So yup there really was no spot left.

Old
10-05-2011, 12:32 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
If he cleared waivers, is he going to stay with the Wolfpack? What happens now?
Now he goes to Europe. No chance he'll want to stay in the AHL.

Old
10-05-2011, 12:36 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sent: Oct 4, 2011 10:41a

Let's be honest....Decision re Avery was made before camp....don't understand why team brought him to Europe...

sent via web
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie/stat...33530746454018
True, but the Staal problem went from day-to-day to month-to-month right now. Rangers need to go out and buy or more likeky trade for a stay-at-home D cause neither MDZ or Erixon can fill the void and farm doesn have a ready one. If prospect goes back the cap hit should increase. Thus, 1.9 million is what they need right now, not training camp performance.Redden is a good option too, seriously. May be he will be traded for Avery. Wales may be the only opposing that.

Last edited by 94now: 10-05-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Closed Thread