HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avery waived (10/5: Clears waivers)

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2011, 10:54 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepan Up View Post
I wish I could have seen Christensen's reaction to this news. I wonder if he cracked that psychopath smile of his.
EC is probably as shocked as most of us are.

Old
nyrleetch

vCash: 500
Christensen is a great teammate. I mean who else calls out your own teammates for a cheap shot that they didn't commit? I would've released the bum on the spot.

Old
Grumpy Humphrey

vCash: 50
Quote:
I wish I could have seen Christensen's reaction to this news. I wonder if he cracked that psychopath smile of his.
It's weird, but the very first thing I thought of when I heard this was Varg Vikernes smiling at the camera after they read his guilty murder verdict...I think it's because he and Christensen kind of look alike.

Old
10-04-2011, 10:57 AM
mullichicken25

Whether you believe Torts has an agenda against him, or that he's no longer effective on the ice on his own, is irrelevant.

its pretty obvious he was not going to be an important part of this season one way or another

EC, despite everything we dont like about him, is more valuable to have on the roster this year

Old
10-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
No, not that guy.

We're complaining about losing the first guy to protect a teammate.

We're complaining about losing the guy that played better than HIS competition during the preseason for a specific roster spot and is getting shafted.

We're complaining because the guy who is going to actually get the nod for the spot that belonged to Avery (who earned it) is a one dimensional soft player.

We're complaining because for all the coach's talk about earning ice time just showed his true colors as being someone that is completely full of crap.

Guaranteed he just lost some of that locker room.

No one will miss Avery, he's not an important spoke in the wheel, but if the coach says you get what you earn and it's clear as day that Avery earned a spot, to reccomend him to be waived means you get what you earn, as long as the coach likes you.

Some respect has been lost for sure.
He's also the guy who scored 3 goals in 76 games.

He's also the guy who couldn't stay onsides.

He's also the guy who took **** bad penalties at the worst of times.

He's also the guy who has seen his skills deteriorate in his advancing age.

He's also the guy making way too much for what he brings to the table.

You can't just nitpick with a player. You either take the guy as he is or leave him as he is. And this whole "oh he won the competition preseason" bs is just well, bs. Why restrict your judgement to this years preseason when you've seen both guys for a lot longer than that? Also I think you have to defer to the coach on how the locker room stuff will play out considering he's the coach and your some random guy who watches the team on his TV.

Old
10-04-2011, 10:58 AM
nyrleetch

Well said. Whatever Torts say I'll take with a grain of salt
For now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
No, not that guy.

We're complaining about losing the first guy to protect a teammate.

We're complaining about losing the guy that played better than HIS competition during the preseason for a specific roster spot and is getting shafted.

We're complaining because the guy who is going to actually get the nod for the spot that belonged to Avery (who earned it) is a one dimensional soft player.

We're complaining because for all the coach's talk about earning ice time just showed his true colors as being someone that is completely full of crap.

Guaranteed he just lost some of that locker room.

No one will miss Avery, he's not an important spoke in the wheel, but if the coach says you get what you earn and it's clear as day that Avery earned a spot, to reccomend him to be waived means you get what you earn, as long as the coach likes you.

Some respect has been lost for sure.

Old
10-04-2011, 10:58 AM
nyrleetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Perhaps Sean will hook up with a team close to Italy so he can help Georgio Armani plan the Armani fashion show for next fall. Hockey wasn't a top priority for Sean. He is more concerned with fashion. Gay marriage. His bar and restaurant business.

Brooks tweeted the Rangers would be on the hook for 1/2 of the $1.9375M if Avery was placed on re-entry. 3 teams paying Avery? Dallas would be not be responsible for their half if Sather placed Avery on re-entry and he was claimed. The NYR and claiming team would share the hit. If Avery is claimed on waivers,Dallas and claiming team share the hit.
Again clueless.

Old
10-04-2011, 11:00 AM
haveandare

The thing that frustrates me the most is all of the BS Torts spouts about how the best players are going to make the team and we need a team identity etc etc etc.

This camp and the ensuing cuts go against that narrative completely.

Bell and Bickel making it over McI and Erixon was the first sign of insanity. Erixon can use some AHL polish for sure and McI isn't at his "peak" as a prospect yet but Bell and Bickel don't look better than they do - not at all. In fact, they were downright embarrassing yesterday. McIlrath was the best defensive player of the D prospects IMO and he was definitely the most in line with the "identity" that Torts is always praising but even before he was cut they were talking down his performance. So stupid. I don't think he should make the NHL jump quite yet but with Staal out indefinitely they should have kept him up until he played 9 or Staal was back just to bolster the back line. We're looking at DZ, Eminger, Bell and Bickel back there? There isn't a D man I trust among that group.

Then, Christensen makes it over Avery. Christensen, who brings nothing to the table at all except a rare nice wrist shot, makes it over Avery, who was getting under the opponents skin, throwing hits, blocking shots and all around playing aggressive Ranger hockey. Avery was the better player this camp and the player who was more in line with what Torts asks of his players - not to mention he's a real part of the team. He's friends with all the guys, he's been around a while, etc. That shouldn't totally inform a decision obviously but taking into account that he was also the better player, the fact that he was a solid teammate makes it even more confusing.

The cuts are what they are but Torts shouldn't give some BS justification for them if thats not whats informing his decisions. He's the coach - if he doesn't want to give his reasons he doesn't have to say anything at all.

Old
10-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Pugs35

Well at least they'll go offside about half as often as last year.

Pretty glad he's gone to be honest, there was a time when this team needed him, but that time is gone.

Old
10-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
But with Staal's post-concussion symptoms, the Rangers may be forced to sign or trade for another defenseman now. Zipay speculated they may need the extra space if Staal is out for some time.
It's fair speculation. That may still happen. I don't get the impression that's why this move was made. If Christensen was waived, and you move Bell or Bickel or the minors, you add enough space for whatever the Rangers are likely to pick up.

Old
10-04-2011, 11:02 AM
GAGLine

Anyone who thinks Avery has had a great preseason, please explain it to me. Outside of the philly game, I haven't noticed him, and even in that game he took a bad penalty.

Old
10-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Could care less honestly as it's an attempt to clear cap. Only thing that bugs me is I've been waiting for so long to finally get rid of Christensen and it won't happen.

I know Avery played well enough to earn a spot but don't let him fool you. He's not an idiot he knows he had to prove himself or he was gone, wouldn't have surprised me one bit if his play went to hell midway through the season.

Old
10-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Anyone who thinks Avery has had a great preseason, please explain it to me. Outside of the philly game, I haven't noticed him, and even in that game he took a bad penalty.
He threatened to kill Giroux

Classic Avery move right there, good to see.

Old
10-04-2011, 11:05 AM
haveandare

Quote:
I can't speak for everyone else but from my POV, he didn't have a great preseason per se as much as he had a noticeably better preseason than Christensen, who Torts made it clear he was in direct competition with. EC did nothing at all. His career was on the line and he responded with what? One nice wrist shot and a ton of soft play on the puck. Avery was better than that - no?

Old
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Brandon Prust scored 10 more goals than Avery. And I'm using Avery's most recent season. Too bad for the Avery love hangover from years ago crowd that happens to also be his worst.
I'm not sure I understand that last sentence. What I do understand, and you obviously do not, is the significant difference in both player's roles.

You are aware that Brandon Prust has one season under his belt of 13 goals and 29 points, right? 5 of those 13 goals being short handed. What do you think the odds are that Prust scores 5 short handed goals again this year?

Let's say he scores 7 goals total this season, and finishes with around 25 points.

Sean Avery in his six full seasons has averages of over 11 goals and 33 points for his career. Six. Not one. Six.

Prust only finished with FIVE, count them, FIVE more points than Avery (I'm not sure why you're hung up on goals and not points), AND PRUST GOT MORE THAN 4 MINUTES PER GAME MORE OF AVERAGE ICE TIME.

Extrapolated over the course of 82 games that's ALMOST SIX HOURS MORE OF ICE TIME he received than Sean Avery to score 5 more points. Six hours to score five more points.

I love Brandon Prust more than anyone, but the idiocy that people post with regarding Avery is astounding.

And don't give me the whole "Avery didn't deserve it wah wah wah" nonsense. Torts never gave Avery a fair shot, and his minutes are proof of that.

If anyone thinks that Sean Avery, an extremely comparable player to Brandon Prust, isn't putting up better numbers if their roles are reversed they're just crazy.

Good luck trying to break the argument Karl.

Old
GrizMint

Quote:
Just gave me chills. Anyway, bye Avery thanks for a few good moments and pissing the devils off. You just didn't fit into the plan this year. I believe the addition of Rupp really made him a lock to get cut. Rupp is a superior Avery minus his mouthing off

Old
10-04-2011, 11:07 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I would have to believe if that is the case then it was Christensen. If they were showcasing Avery wouldn't he have played the last two games?
How could they? The games were being played in Europe... No NHL scouts/personnel from other teams in attendance... The games were only broadcast on MSG Network, right?

Old
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
The thing that frustrates me the most is all of the BS Torts spouts about how the best players are going to make the team and we need a team identity etc etc etc.

This camp and the ensuing cuts go against that narrative completely.

Bell and Bickel making it over McI and Erixon...

Then, Christensen makes it over Avery. Christensen, who brings nothing to the table at all except a rare nice wrist shot...
First of all, we only really know how these guys played in exhibition games. We don't really know how these guys performed in camp overall. We don't know what went on in the practices etc.

Second of all, I will reiterate that Avery got cut because he's a redundant cog and Christensen was kept because of the roster versatility he provides.

This is training camp. Just because we watched the exhibition games doesn't mean we know what's really going on.

Old
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
I can't speak for everyone else but from my POV, he didn't have a great preseason per se as much as he had a noticeably better preseason than Christensen, who Torts made it clear he was in direct competition with. EC did nothing at all. His career was on the line and he responded with what? One nice wrist shot and a ton of soft play on the puck. Avery was better than that - no?
Yes, but on the other hand Christensen was much more useful last season, can play pretty much anywhere in the lineup and has the smaller cap hit. Christensen on a bad day adds nothing to the team, Avery on a bad day takes a few stupid penalties. I can understand the decision, even though I would've liked Avery on the team more. Simply because I'm pretty much indifferent toward Christensen, but Avery adds some entertainment.

Old
10-04-2011, 11:08 AM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
I'm not sure I understand that last sentence. What I do understand, and you obviously do not, is the significant difference in both player's roles.

You are aware that Brandon Prust has one season under his belt of 13 goals and 29 points, right? 5 of those 13 goals being short handed. What do you think the odds are that Prust scores 5 short handed goals again this year?

Let's say he scores 7 goals total this season, and finishes with around 25 points.

Sean Avery in his six full seasons has averages of over 11 goals and 33 points for his career. Six. Not one. Six.

Prust only finished with FIVE, count them, FIVE more points than Avery (I'm not sure why you're hung up on goals and not points), AND PRUST GOT MORE THAN 4 MINUTES PER GAME MORE OF AVERAGE ICE TIME.

Extrapolated over the course of 82 games that's ALMOST SIX HOURS MORE OF ICE TIME he received than Sean Avery to score 5 more points. Six hours to score five more points.

I love Brandon Prust more than anyone, but the idiocy that people post with regarding Avery is astounding.

And don't give me the whole "Avery didn't deserve it wah wah wah" nonsense. Torts never gave Avery a fair shot, and his minutes are proof of that.

If anyone thinks that Sean Avery, an extremely comparable player to Brandon Prust, isn't putting up better numbers if their roles are reversed they're just crazy.

Good luck trying to break the argument Karl.
Avery is 31. Prust is 27. Avery is a 9 year vet. Prust is a 4 year vet.

Old
10-04-2011, 11:09 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Perhaps Sean will hook up with a team close to Italy so he can help Georgio Armani plan the Armani fashion show for next fall. Hockey wasn't a top priority for Sean. He is more concerned with fashion. Gay marriage. His bar and restaurant business.

Brooks tweeted the Rangers would be on the hook for 1/2 of the $1.9375M if Avery was placed on re-entry. 3 teams paying Avery? Dallas would be not be responsible for their half if Sather placed Avery on re-entry and he was claimed. The NYR and claiming team would share the hit. If Avery is claimed on waivers,Dallas and claiming team share the hit.
So Sean Avery is the only professional hockey player to be involved in outside businesses and issues? Huh, who knew.

Because you read 9 million articles on the web a day, and the people writing them don't care about any other player enough to write about them and they write about Avery, that means he doesn't care about hockey and only cares about everything else? Seriously?

Why don't the people who hate Avery EVER just come out and say that every comment they make about the guy is because they HATE him?

Old
10-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
he forechecked, played the boards EXTREMELY well, and created chances, he was always playing with bums with no thumbs, so how do you expect him to do anything out there?

very stupid move by the Rangers imho, and not at all with keeping of the whol, you earn your spot mantra they talk about.

Old
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
So Sean Avery is the only professional hockey player to be involved in outside businesses and issues? Huh, who knew.

Because you read 9 million articles on the web a day, and the people writing them don't care about any other player enough to write about them and they write about Avery, that means he doesn't care about hockey and only cares about everything else? Seriously?

Why don't the people who hate Avery EVER just come out and say that every comment they make about the guy is because they HATE him?
I hate him because he's not good at hockey.

Old
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
You'd have to wonder how the Bruins, Penguins, Blackhawks, or Red Wings managed to win the Cup the last few years without Avery on their team from some of the comments in this thread.

We're debating about the 13th forward on the roster. If you think he should be getting 10+ minutes a game, thats your perogative, but Torts clearly had no intention of playing him to that extent. Carrying him as a healthy scratch would have led to more headaches than good. At the end of the day, waiving Avery gives us more flexibility to sign a veteran Dman in the event Staal or Sauer are out long term.
While I agree to some extent, where is the equivalent of Erik Christensen on any of those teams? The inconsistent floater who doesn't play well defensively, is not suited for a bottom 6 role yet is too streaky to play in the top 6, and plays like he is scared of his own shadow is a not a player that one normally sees on Stanley Cup championship rosters. There are no shootouts in the playoffs, and that's the only thing he excels at.

And Matt Cooke won a cup with the Penguins. His cheap-shotting antics are far worse than anything Avery has ever done.

Old
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Avery is 31. Prust is 27. Avery is a 9 year vet. Prust is a 4 year vet.
31 is a dinosaur or something? 27 is a spring chicken? Break the argument Karl. Please. Break the argument.

Closed Thread