Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NY Rangers Waive Sean Avery - Salary Cap Impact

Old
10-04-2011, 10:05 AM
BigG44

vCash: 500
NY Rangers Waive Sean Avery - Salary Cap Impact

I don't have all the answers right now to how this will impact the Dallas Stars.

Not counting Philip Larsen or Scott Glennie, Dallas has a payroll of $49,905,000 with 23 players on the roster.

Removing Sean Avery drops them to $47,967,500 or $332,500 below the salary floor. Luckily, Scott Glennie must count against the cap until he is healthy enough to go to the AHL. During his time on IR, Dallas will be cap compliant assuming Avery no longer counts on the payroll.

The Questions

1) If Sean Avery goes to the AHL or Europe does he only come off of the NY Rangers cap or does he come off both Dallas and the NY Rangers?

2) If Glennie goes down before his total prorated cap hit reaches $332,500, how can Dallas become cap compliant with already 23 players on the roster?

One answer to question 2 might be placing Burish on IR (meaning he misses at least the first few games), and call up Godard. He doesn't have to play but he'd eat away at the cap deficit (assuming one exists).

Hopefully we'll find out more info soon.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 10:15 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Good God, Sean Avery will literally never stop screwing us over.

I can't believe the NHL would actually punish us for this. The team without an owner that honestly tried to get above the floor by signing a ton of UFAs...

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 10:20 AM
txomisc

the easiest solution now would be to either waive petersen/barch and sign someone to a deal that puts them over the cap floor or send vincour down and sign someone who would put them over the floor. Id good to waive barch and replace him with someone better/more expensive

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 10:26 AM
BigG44

Well if I did my math right .... the easiest solution would be to *wink**wink**nudge**nudge* to Scott Glennie that his symptoms will NOT go away before 38 league days (or the 13th of November). At that time, his acquired cap hit would make up for the shortage.

On November 13th, Glennie's cap hit should be at $332,748 and he will have pocketed $166,374 in cash.

I just hope they keep his money on the cap. Like piqued, I'd hope Dallas wouldn't have to worry about being punished for not being cap compliant in a situation like this.

Old
10-04-2011, 10:28 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

If he's healthy before that you can't waste development time just to get cap compliant the cheapest possible way. That would be negligent. But who knows, it might take that long for him to feel normal anyway with how cautious everyone is being these days.

Old
10-04-2011, 10:31 AM
txomisc

i dunno. I dont think we can expect special treatment. If we are below the cap floor theres likely trouble. I dont think the PA or other teams would be very happy if the league let us slide without penalties. There should be a plan in place for this scenario as its not exactly shocking.

Old
10-04-2011, 10:34 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
If he's healthy before that you can't waste development time just to get cap compliant the cheapest possible way. That would be negligent. But who knows, it might take that long for him to feel normal anyway with how cautious everyone is being these days.
I'm pretty sure an injured player can practice with the team, and the time that he's cleared to play to when he can actually play are going to be two different dates. There's no way he's in game shape. Skating and getting into light contact in practice up in Dallas would probably be more beneficial than going through the same motions with Texas. Plus, Dallas' doctors could monitor him longer.

Old
10-04-2011, 10:36 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I'm pretty sure an injured player can practice with the team, and the time that he's cleared to play to when he can actually play are going to be two different dates. There's no way he's in game shape. Skating and getting into light contact in practice up in Dallas would probably be more beneficial than going through the same motions with Texas. Plus, Dallas' doctors could monitor him longer.
Id say that would be reasonable if he's got concussion symptoms for 35 days or something, but if hes ready to go in two weeks theres no way it would fly.

Old
10-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
What, we'd be 300k under the cap. The NHL is basically paying players' salaries anyway. At worst, I'd expect to see a pick forfeited by us.

We could trade someone for a more expensive benchwarmer.... you know, like Barch for... Moen or something.

Also, we're only boned if he clears waivers and is assigned to the AHL or Europe, or if he is put on re-entry waivers and claimed. If he is claimed on regular waivers or traded and stays in the NHL, we still keep the cap hit and pay his salary.

Frozen Failure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 10:44 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
What, we'd be 300k under the cap. The NHL is basically paying players' salaries anyway. At worst, I'd expect to see a pick forfeited by us.

We could trade someone for a more expensive benchwarmer.... you know, like Barch for... Moen or something.

Also, we're only boned if he clears waivers and is assigned to the AHL or Europe, or if he is put on re-entry waivers and claimed. If he is claimed on regular waivers or traded and stays in the NHL, we still keep the cap hit and pay his salary.
I sure as hell don't like the idea of forfeiting a pick. I think the biggest thing the Glennie injury does here is allow the stars some time to get cap compliant. If he was healthy and in the AHL right now we'd be pretty screwed.

Old
10-04-2011, 11:16 AM
BigG44

Mark confirmed that this will have no impact on the Stars cap situation .... so awesome.

Everything is good.

Old
10-04-2011, 11:24 AM
vofty

Quote:
Mark confirmed that this will have no impact on the Stars cap situation .... so awesome.

Everything is good.
Wooo hooo!!!

**** you Avery!!

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 11:46 AM
txomisc

Quote:

Everything is good.
thats interesting but im unclear as to why it would have no impact

Old
10-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
thats interesting but im unclear as to why it would have no impact
As I said, I believe the following unless told otherwise:

Frozen Failure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:10 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
As I said, I believe the following unless told otherwise:

ok but that doesnt really solve the issue because Mark said "whatever may happen as a result" well him clearing and being assigned elsewhere is clearly something that could happen and yet they say that would not have any impact.

Old
10-04-2011, 12:11 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

I think the ONLY way this can turn out badly for Dallas is if he clears waivers, gets assigned, and then is brought back through re-entry and claimed by another NHL team. Anything else and we're fine, including sent to the AHL or loaned to Europe.

Old
10-04-2011, 12:14 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I think the ONLY way this can turn out badly for Dallas is if he's claimed on re-entry by another NHL team. Anything else and we're fine, including sent to the AHL or loaned to Europe.
Ok but why? I've never seen an applicable rule that would imply that his cap hit would still count for the stars if he was loaned elsewhere.

Old
10-04-2011, 12:19 PM
BigG44

The only thing I can think of is that they look at Dallas' money as similar to a buyout, but like piqued pointed out, I'm fairly certain that if he goes on re-entry and is claimed, NY pays him half and the new team pays him half. Dallas would be off the hook. I remember that scenario from when all of this stuff started.

Old
10-04-2011, 12:20 PM
BigG44

Oh no!!!

The Stars got back to Mark, and they are getting conflicting info. There could be a situation still.

Old
10-04-2011, 12:25 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
Ok but why? I've never seen an applicable rule that would imply that his cap hit would still count for the stars if he was loaned elsewhere.
The wording of the CBA says the waiving team (Dallas) counts half of the balance of the contract against their cap. It doesn't then go on to say, "but not if...". Once the player is claimed, that amount locks in for the remainder of the life of the contract for the waiving team.

This is also how we get to the 3rd party team thing. In that case the defined waiving club becomes the 2nd team in this order at the time of the hypothetical 2nd claiming, in this case New York. It's like the original team that signed the player to the contract never existed.

That's my best understanding.

lol, the Stars don't even know. Splendid.

Last edited by piqued: 10-04-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old
10-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

If we had problems to reach the floor(Avery circumstance), would it be possible to sign Goose & Benn to extension? I mean if we pay for example Benn 1.5 mio and Goose over 2 Mio this year and the following years higher, just to reach the floor?
Thanks.

Arpi3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 01:38 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

No. Any contract extension they sign would only take effect starting in 2012-13.

Old
10-04-2011, 01:48 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Oh no!!!

The Stars got back to Mark, and they are getting conflicting info. There could be a situation still.
No wonder it didnt make sense to me. This is kind of an odd situation so I think they deserve a pass but its really something that should have been considered before.

Old
10-04-2011, 03:41 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Without regard to the Stars' cap situation...how likely is it that anybody claims Avery? I mean, the Rangers were seemingly his last safe place in this league. What kind of team would want a caustic presence like that? Cup contenders? No. Young, rebuilding teams? No. I know there is a gap between those two types of teams but I really don't see a situation where an NHL team would want him.

Does anyone know exactly why he was waived? Did the Rangers finally tire of his schtick or has he simply gone downhill as a player?

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 03:49 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Without regard to the Stars' cap situation...how likely is it that anybody claims Avery? I mean, the Rangers were seemingly his last safe place in this league. What kind of team would want a caustic presence like that? Cup contenders? No. Young, rebuilding teams? No. I know there is a gap between those two types of teams but I really don't see a situation where an NHL team would want him.

Does anyone know exactly why he was waived? Did the Rangers finally tire of his schtick or has he simply gone downhill as a player?
Id say its pretty darn unlikely he gets claimed. The rangers were probably the only team that would have claimed him on re-entry when the stars waived him and I dont see how he's improved his image or his game. I think the rangers coach never liked Avery and the combination of that and him taking up too much cap space for a 13th forward is what got him waived.