Notices

NY Rangers Waive Sean Avery - Salary Cap Impact

Old
10-04-2011, 05:05 PM
vofty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
Id say its pretty darn unlikely he gets claimed. The rangers were probably the only team that would have claimed him on re-entry when the stars waived him and I dont see how he's improved his image or his game. I think the rangers coach never liked Avery and the combination of that and him taking up too much cap space for a 13th forward is what got him waived.
I just find this so amusing...Avery recruits his best bud Richards to come to NY. Richards signs a large contract to play in NY. Richards large contract eats up cap space and is part of the reason the Rangers no longer have cap space for Avery. Avery gets waived.

Just poetic.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Without regard to the Stars' cap situation...how likely is it that anybody claims Avery? I mean, the Rangers were seemingly his last safe place in this league. What kind of team would want a caustic presence like that? Cup contenders? No. Young, rebuilding teams? No. I know there is a gap between those two types of teams but I really don't see a situation where an NHL team would want him.

Does anyone know exactly why he was waived? Did the Rangers finally tire of his schtick or has he simply gone downhill as a player?
He was never a great player to begin with but he's just too much of an embarrasment to keep.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 05:20 PM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vofty View Post
I just find this so amusing...Avery recruits his best bud Richards to come to NY. Richards signs a large contract to play in NY. Richards large contract eats up cap space and is part of the reason the Rangers no longer have cap space for Avery. Avery gets waived.

Just poetic.

At that time everything was in its place.

Arpi3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 06:40 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Does anyone know exactly why he was waived? Did the Rangers finally tire of his schtick or has he simply gone downhill as a player?
We're not exactly sure why, most of us (including myself, sorry) prefer Avery over Erik Christensen. But Tortorella has never been a fan of Avery's game, put a leash on him last year, thus making him extremely ineffective. Therefore he dropped in the depth chart, and it became obvious after the team went to Europe that EC had won the spot. For what reason, who knows; EC sucks and is only good for shootouts.

I'd say its more an issue that Torts got tired of his antics, and maybe the Wayne Simmonds situation was the last straw.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 06:45 PM
glovesave_35
Name

From the horse's mouth:

Quote:
"I think we have better players than Sean Avery -- plain and simple," Rangers coach John Tortorella said Tuesday. "I can dodge it 10 different ways without trying to run Sean over. I thought he had a good camp.

"But I think with the makeup of our team, and some of the people we've added, and some of the youth we've added as far as depth put Sean in this spot."

Reading between the lines it sounds like both.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
The biggest cap geeks on the board over on the business board seem to think he'll come off of the Stars cap calculation if he is "waived and loaned" or if he is picked up via recall waivers by a third team.

Now, I don't know if loaned means outside of the organization or includes affiliated AHL teams as well.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:44 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Assuming the Stars will now have to spend some money to get back to the cap floor...

I'm trying to look at this as a positive, so where we once had to use Avery's money to pay Avery not to be a Star we now have to find someone to pay who may actually help the team on the ice. There should be a player or two out there who have been waived who could make up the cap difference, right? Or maybe there is a team who needs to trim a little bit of payroll and would be willing to make a two-dollar out for one-dollar in swap of someone for Barch or Petersen.

This situation can be turned into a positive, no?

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 10:23 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Assuming the Stars will now have to spend some money to get back to the cap floor...

I'm trying to look at this as a positive, so where we once had to use Avery's money to pay Avery not to be a Star we now have to find someone to pay who may actually help the team on the ice. There should be a player or two out there who have been waived who could make up the cap difference, right? Or maybe there is a team who needs to trim a little bit of payroll and would be willing to make a two-dollar out for one-dollar in swap of someone for Barch or Petersen.

This situation can be turned into a positive, no?
yeah i think so. well maybe not really a positive so much as a neutral. There are plenty of ways to remedy the issue without compromising the team.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 10:44 PM
txomisc

Im wondering if Fistric might be the move they make here. It doesnt seem like hes really in their plans so it would impact the team minimally. He makes 1 million dollars, theres gotta be a 1.3 million dollar defensemen out there they could trade him for to be the number 7.

Old
10-04-2011, 11:01 PM
txomisc

and in the third of a great triple post ive fixed the problem. Fistric for Niskanen ;-)

Old
10-04-2011, 11:03 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

cant you guys just play glennie when he's healthy until you're over the floor?

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 11:08 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
possibly. i think the difference between glennie and averys salary is just about what we'd up be being below the cap by.

Old
10-04-2011, 11:09 PM
Kritter471

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
No. Glennie being healthy would be 24 active players, more than the league limit.

Old
10-04-2011, 11:11 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
No. Glennie being healthy would be 24 active players, more than the league limit.
yeah true so youd also be subtracting another 800 k or so

ok it seems like it does work. if glennie is up and vincour is down the stars would be over the cap floor.

Old
10-04-2011, 11:29 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
yeah true so youd also be subtracting another 800 k or so

ok it seems like it does work. if glennie is up and vincour is down the stars would be over the cap floor.
The only reason we'd do this is if we've truly given up on Glennie. Letting a top prospect rot in the pros with no ice time just to get over the cap floor is not a good idea, IMO.

Sure, he can practice with the team and all, but still. I just don't think this should happen.

Is there another filler-type player we could sign for a bit? An overpaid 13th forward, maybe?

I have no idea, honestly.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 11:39 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
The only reason we'd do this is if we've truly given up on Glennie. Letting a top prospect rot in the pros with no ice time just to get over the cap floor is not a good idea, IMO.

Sure, he can practice with the team and all, but still. I just don't think this should happen.

Is there another filler-type player we could sign for a bit? An overpaid 13th forward, maybe?

I have no idea, honestly.
certainly there is. im sure any number of currently unsigned players would jump at the chance to sign a deal to help dallas out. maybe they could send vincour down and get someone like steve bernier to sign a two way deal.

Old
10-05-2011, 12:04 AM
Kritter471

I think Dallas is already at the 50-contract limit. Just signing a guy isn't going to work. They'd have to release someone at some level to make it happen.

Old
10-05-2011, 12:25 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
I think Dallas is already at the 50-contract limit. Just signing a guy isn't going to work. They'd have to release someone at some level to make it happen.
I hear Barch has volunteered to be the goat that gets released...

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 01:53 AM
Alistar

whoa whoa whoa

what's all this speculation about cutting players and trades and stuff? I thought we already agreed that this doesn't affect the Stars at all. Avery's cap hit is there at half of what it was when they brought him through re-entry waivers , the CBA dictates it stays there until the term of that contract is up. Whether they have to pay him now is a different matter perhaps?

I think it's pretty concrete that they don't need to do anything here.

**OK I've read myself up on what Mark's posted and it turns out I'm wrong. How bout that.

well there's about a dozen ways to game the cap and probably even more that nobody's thought of yet. Shouldn't be any problem for the Stars to figure out one of them.

Alistar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:23 AM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

Guys, you forgot we signed Mo for $999,999. We're in the clear!

Ampersand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:18 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
He needs to un-retire and just sit in the pressbox and take notes like the assistant coaches used to.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:08 AM
BigG44

Mark at ESPN confirmed that Sean Avery will come off Dallas' cap if he is assigned to the AHL or loaned to Europe. One of those scenarios is very likely.

Depending on Burish's status, I'm in favor of him going on IR so Dallas can callup Godard to sit in the pressbox. Godard will be up for a week or so, and Glennie will be eating away at the approximate $330K shortage as well.

Over the course of the season, Dallas will easily rack up more than $330K in callups, but I'm pretty sure the average can never follow below the floor. That would mean they need to get that money ASAP.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 01:37 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Avery clears as expected.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 01:58 PM
BigG44

Grossman and Pardy being out obviously means Larsen is staying for now. However, they cannot have 24 men on the roster so someone is going to have to go on IR or they have to send Vincour down. If someone goes on IR, Larsen's cap hit will help reduce the shortage assuming Glennie is healthy before 35-40 days on the NHL roster.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Kritter471

Someone on Defending Big D posted that since Glennie has not played an NHL in his career game, only his AHL salary would count toward the Stars cap. That sounds confusing enough to be true and would certainly complicate things.