Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NY Rangers Waive Sean Avery - Salary Cap Impact

Old
10-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 500
If it comes down to having to go after a player I pick Turris. I've seen him play hundreds of times, and he's legit.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 08:07 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Apparently the Panthers are supposed to send Steve Reinprecht through re-entry waivers. There's some wear on those tires but as a 4th line option and possible answer to the newly created Avery-cap problem it might be worth it.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Apparently the Panthers are supposed to send Steve Reinprecht through re-entry waivers. There's some wear on those tires but as a 4th line option and possible answer to the newly created Avery-cap problem it might be worth it.
If he clears I'd trade Petersen for him.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 08:30 PM
glovesave_35
Name

But if he clears isn't any team trading for him on the hook for his entire salary? At which point he becomes less desirable.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Brand New Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Better bring in Woywitka to replace him.
I hate you. But at the same time when I saw he was waived I thought the same thing.

Brand New Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Ub the Bub

It's not ideal maybe. But we have cap space, soon a new owner and we have this nagging problem with the cap floor that needs to be dealt with so I'd take some extra salary for now... It's only for a season after all...

Ub the Bub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 08:39 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
But if he clears isn't any team trading for him on the hook for his entire salary? At which point he becomes less desirable.
If anything, that helps us. Keeps other teams away.

2.05 this year, and this is the last year of his contract. Unless we have a new owner by the TD and are planning on some BIG changes, that shouldn't really matter.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
We would gain 1.25 million in salary. That's honestly not a lot considering out cap situation. He's still a serviceable 4th liner. Cheaper than trading for Turris and signing him I'm sure. Not like it matters, someone is going to either be waived or sent down or traded eventually, might as well escape a cap hell situation and get a guy who once scored a hat trick against us (I was there, it sucked).

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:52 PM
BeaverSports

Just waive one of the extra forwards and sign Bryan McCabe already.

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 11:27 AM
BigG44

In regard to Luke Gazdic, I started looking for his cap hit from 2009-10, and Cap Geek still has it.

He was paid $17,616 for 68 days (or 35.23% of the season) on IR. His AHL salary was $50,000, and 35.23% of that is $17,616.

So I thought Glennie would actually get less money, but in reality, he will draw at least his AHL salary while on IR.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:18 PM
BigG44

I did think of an easy solution ....

I noticed Mark indicated Burish shared time on the Eriksson-Benn line with Vincour at practice today. If they sent down Vincour, they could just sign someone to a contract with bonuses.

When people were saying Dallas was at the 50 roster limit, I took their word for it, but Dallas is not. They have 50 players under contract, but Campbell, Nemeth, and Klingberg are all 19. They don't actually count against the 50 contract limit unless they are on the NHL roster until next year.

Old
10-06-2011, 01:33 PM
BigG44

Obviously a trade or waiver claim would work in that situation as well. Eric Nystrom is on waivers ($1.4 million cap hit the next 2 years).

Old
10-06-2011, 02:23 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I did think of an easy solution ....

I noticed Mark indicated Burish shared time on the Eriksson-Benn line with Vincour at practice today. If they sent down Vincour, they could just sign someone to a contract with bonuses.

When people were saying Dallas was at the 50 roster limit, I took their word for it, but Dallas is not. They have 50 players under contract, but Campbell, Nemeth, and Klingberg are all 19. They don't actually count against the 50 contract limit unless they are on the NHL roster until next year.
yeah i assumed they knew what they were talking about as far as the 50 contract limit goes as well (even though i recalled hearing about how they could sign modano to the 1day deal because they were below it). Id like to see what Vincour can do but if he struggles early sending him down and signing someone else would be fine. I keep thinking Bernier should get a shot somewhere.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:07 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Apparently the NHL changed their mind on how they interpreted that part of the CBA.
The Stars thought that it counted no matter what and had gotten some confirmation from the NHL that it did. But when Avery was actually sent to the minors, the Stars were informed that they no longer get charged his cap hit (even though they still have to pay the $1.9 million).
Not that they're actually paying his salary, as seen by the bankruptcy docmuments.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 08:51 AM
BigG44

Unless Dallas sustains an injury tonight that would require IR or or Pardy/Grossman have a setback, I would expect some sort of resolution to this situation on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I don't believe anything would happen today since Vincour is most likely heading to the AHL to open up a roster spot for a new player. I imagine they'd like to get Vincour in one more game before sending him to Austin.

Mike Grier and John Madden seem like popular guesses for UFA signings. I'd be OK with either one, but I think I'd prefer Madden.

1) Sign John Madden

Madden-Fiddler-Dvorak
Wandell-Dowell-Burish

2) Sign Mike Grier

Burish-Fiddler-Dvorak
Wandell-Dowell-Grier

Old
10-10-2011, 10:09 AM
BigG44

From Mark (ESPN) via Twitter:

Quote:
I'd put my money on a signing.

Old
10-10-2011, 10:26 AM
BigG44

I just remembered that John Madden won a cup with Joe Nieuwendyk.

Old
10-10-2011, 10:51 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

With Madden and Grier you could give both contracts with performance bonuses in them, right? You could minimize the actual extra salary the team will have to pay while getting the larger cap hit they need.

Old
10-10-2011, 11:23 AM
txomisc

I like the idea of getting Turris or Gagner. Both young top 6 upside players who are good passers. This team really needs some passing ability. Gagner would likely be more expensive and the phoenix gm is apparently refusing to trade Turris so I dont know that either is really possible.

oh if its a singing I hope its Bernier. He's still got upside to his game and should come at the right price.

Old
10-10-2011, 11:25 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

You know what we could do? Sign Lindgren.

Old
10-10-2011, 11:35 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
With Madden and Grier you could give both contracts with performance bonuses in them, right? You could minimize the actual extra salary the team will have to pay while getting the larger cap hit they need.
Yes. They are both over 35. Chris Clark is an option as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
oh if its a singing I hope its Bernier. He's still got upside to his game and should come at the right price.
I don't see him getting a contract because he'd need to be paid over $1 million to solve the cap situation. Several other decent options are older than 35 meaning Dallas could inflate the cap hit with bonuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
You know what we could do? Sign Lindgren.
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure he'd have to pass through waivers since he is under contract in Europe and he started the season there. Dallas didn't assign him to his Finnish team, and he is not currently under contract with them.

Old
10-10-2011, 11:36 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Yes. They are both over 35. Chris Clark is an option as well.

I don't see him getting a contract because he'd need to be paid over $1 million to solve the cap situation. Several other decent options are older than 35 meaning Dallas could inflate the cap hit with bonuses.

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure he'd have to pass through waivers since he is under contract in Europe and he started the season there. Dallas didn't assign him to his Finnish team, and he is not currently under contract with them.
yeah youre probably right. The stars will try to get it done as cheaply as possible. I think bernier has teh best chance of any of them to actually help the team tho.

Old
10-10-2011, 11:39 AM
BigG44

None of the guys on waivers today have a salary high enough to solve Dallas' cap issue.

Old
10-10-2011, 11:43 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

I guess this makes the decision for Vincour easy, he definitely will be going back to the AHL if we have to sign another roster player.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 11:48 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
I guess this makes the decision for Vincour easy, he definitely will be going back to the AHL if we have to sign another roster player.
Probably .... it's wishful thinking on my part, but I'd love to see Dallas trade Barch to a team for a $2 million player. That would work too.