Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NY Rangers Waive Sean Avery - Salary Cap Impact

Old
10-10-2011, 12:23 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 500
Methinks it will be Madden. Honestly, it could turn into a real boon for us. A year ago we had one good faceoff guy and now we could have three.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 01:12 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

I think signing Madden would be the best option, as well. We'd need him to sign for about 1.1-1.5 million, correct?

A bottom 6 of:

Madden - Fiddler - Dvorak
Dowell - Wandell - Burish

Is definitely gonna be the best we've had in a long time. 3 great face-off guys in the bottom 6 alone, and Ott up on the 2nd line.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:00 PM
________

vCash: 0
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
I know this is a older story on Madden, I think there was a more recent one which said similar things, but I couldn't find it.

Link

McCabe is still out there, not interested in him, but has the obvious connection with Nieuwendyk.

Last edited by ________: 10-11-2011 at 03:45 AM.
________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

I'm interested in JP Dumont. I've always been a fan of his.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Is Bryan McCabe an option? Wouldn't cost nearly as much as he had in recent years, that's for sure, and much like Souray he's known for having some offensive flair, even if he's past his prime.

Goli-Robi
McCabe-Daley
Souray-Grossman

7th could be Pardy, with Fistric being shopped around.

Larsen spends the year as a top-pairing guy in the AHL.

I don't know, I would think that that blueline looks far more powerful than any unit we've iced in recent years.

10-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
McCabe is awful. I do not want him any where near this team. At all. I posted a trade proposal... basically Fistric for Stajan...

Oh yeah, that blueline looks terrible, Modo. Goligoski and Robidas is undersized as hell.

Goligoski - Pardy/Grossman/Souray
Robidas - Grossman/Souray
Daley - Pardy/Souray
spare tire

Looks a hell of a lot better...

Last edited by Frozen Failure: 10-10-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:01 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Pardy is not going to be marginalized for some crappy vet to get over the floor. The new player will almost certainly be a forward.

Stajan is a bad target due to the term of his contract. No reason to take on any extra commitments when the problem can be solved with a simple free agent deal.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Pardy is not going to be marginalized for some crappy vet to get over the floor.

Stajan is a bad target due to the term of his contract. No reason to take on any extra commitments when the problem can be solved with a simple free agent deal.
What FA though?

Madden wanted Minny or retire, Grier's not a good options, McCabe is worse than... poop, Steve Bernier is a floaty scrub who can't make the Isles.

There are literally no FA deals worth taking considering our roster space issue and money situation.

And yes, Stajan has 2 more years on his contract. But you know what? I'm okay with that. He's not that old, it's not that long, and who are we going to replace him with? Ribeiro only has one more year. What prospect is going to overtake Stajan on the depth chart? Roman? No way in hell. Glennie? No way at the rate he's going. Benn? He'll be playing WITH Stajan. Lindgren? Gone and never coming back. We have a plethora of wingers, not centermen, which is why Dvorak is on a one year deal, and Ryder only on a two. I expect they're waiting for Chiasson to finish college. And Ritchie to take a year in Junior and a year in the AHL.

Not a damn problem with picking up Stajan, in my opinion.

Old
10-10-2011, 04:09 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

McCabe is horrible, stay away. he's not even good on the PP anymore which is his only saving grace.

MetalGodAOD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:14 PM
piqued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
What FA though?

Madden wanted Minny or retire, Grier's not a good options, McCabe is worse than... poop, Steve Bernier is a floaty scrub who can't make the Isles.

There are literally no FA deals worth taking considering our roster space issue and money situation.

And yes, Stajan has 2 more years on his contract. But you know what? I'm okay with that. He's not that old, it's not that long, and who are we going to replace him with? Ribeiro only has one more year. What prospect is going to overtake Stajan on the depth chart? Roman? No way in hell. Glennie? No way at the rate he's going. Benn? He'll be playing WITH Stajan. Lindgren? Gone and never coming back. We have a plethora of wingers, not centermen, which is why Dvorak is on a one year deal, and Ryder only on a two. I expect they're waiting for Chiasson to finish college. And Ritchie to take a year in Junior and a year in the AHL.

Not a damn problem with picking up Stajan, in my opinion.
What on earth are you talking about... Ribeiro/Benn/Fiddler should be our centers for the foreseeable future.

You just dismiss Grier with no reason?

Old
10-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Quote:
What on earth are you talking about... Ribeiro/Benn/Fiddler should be our centers for the foreseeable future.

You just dismiss Grier with no reason?
Benn's an okay center, but he's still a winger.. and I know everyone expects him to play center. You expect Ott to play in the top 6? He won't stick. Still need a top 6 forward in that case.

Grier's a bottom 6 RW. We have Dvorak and Burish for that. He's also 36. Is he also worth 2mil so we can get to the cap floor once we clear roster space for a FA? In my opinion, no.

Old
10-10-2011, 04:17 PM
piqued

It doesn't make any difference what anyone's worth.

It wouldn't be 2 million either.

Burish or someone can play on the left side, it won't kill him.

I'd certainly rather wait for our winger prospects to develop and deal with Ott in the top 6 in the meantime than get tied down to Matt freaking Stajan for 3 years as our 2nd line center.

Old
10-10-2011, 04:54 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Benn's an okay center, but he's still a winger.. and I know everyone expects him to play center. You expect Ott to play in the top 6? He won't stick. Still need a top 6 forward in that case.
You saying Benn is a winger doesn't make it so. It should be obvious that the team views Benn as a center. They talked about it during training camp last year and then made good on that talk during the course of the season. Once he made the move from wing to center for good during the second half of the season the only time he went back to wing was to plug the hole vacated by Neal on a soon-to-be-gone center's line. It was the only way to get all of the team's best players the most ice time. It should be obvious that the team thinks Benn can most greatly affect games at the center position, even if they toss Ott or someone else who is a faceoff hoss to take a few in certain situations, Benn will still be a center the vast majority of the time.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Quote:
It doesn't make any difference what anyone's worth.

It wouldn't be 2 million either.

Burish or someone can play on the left side, it won't kill him.
Fine, we'd be under the cap by about 1.15 million dollars. The floor is 48.3 million. This assumes Vincour and Larsen down to Texas. With 1 roster spot. Here's what that would roughly look like.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Brenden Morrow ($4.100m) / Mike Ribeiro ($5.000m) / Michael Ryder ($3.500m)
Steve Ott ($2.950m) / Jamie Benn ($0.821m) / Loui Eriksson ($4.250m)
Adam Burish ($1.150m) / Vernon Fiddler ($1.800m) / Radek Dvorak ($1.500m)
Toby Petersen ($0.775m) / Tom Wandell ($0.775m) / Jake Dowell ($0.800m)
/ / Krys Barch ($0.837m)

DEFENSEMEN
Adam Pardy ($2.000m) / Alex Goligoski ($1.833m)
Stephane Robidas ($3.300m) / Nicklas Grossman ($1.625m)
Trevor Daley ($3.300m) / Sheldon Souray ($1.650m)
/ Mark Fistric ($1.000m)

GOALTENDERS
Kari Lehtonen ($3.550m) / Andrew Raycroft ($0.650m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $47,167,499; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $17,132,501

Here's what it looks like with Stajan and Mikkelson, after trading Fistric and Petersen.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Brenden Morrow ($4.100m) / Mike Ribeiro ($5.000m) / Michael Ryder ($3.500m)
Jamie Benn ($0.821m) / Matthew Stajan ($3.500m) / Loui Eriksson ($4.250m)
Steve Ott ($2.950m) / Vernon Fiddler ($1.800m) / Radek Dvorak ($1.500m)
Tom Wandell ($0.775m) / Jake Dowell ($0.800m) / Adam Burish ($1.150m)
/ / Krys Barch ($0.837m)

DEFENSEMEN
Adam Pardy ($2.000m) / Alex Goligoski ($1.833m)
Stephane Robidas ($3.300m) / Nicklas Grossman ($1.625m)
Trevor Daley ($3.300m) / Sheldon Souray ($1.650m)
/ Brendan Mikkelson ($0.721m)

GOALTENDERS
Kari Lehtonen ($3.550m) / Andrew Raycroft ($0.650m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $49,614,374; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $14,685,626

I'd rather much have a skill guy now than wait for a kid to develop and make it here. See my previous post for where I think our top winger prospects are in their development. We have tons of bottom 6 "talent" right now, and I don't think we need another one.

We direly need another top 6 forward, because, while Ott deserves a chance, he is a 30 point forward in anything less than playing with a superb playmaking center like Ribeiro or Richards. Benn is not a playmaker. Eriksson isn't really one either. Stajan, is a much better offensive compliment to Benn and Eriksson than Ott, right now, in my opinion.

Am I wrong to think, that with our current prospect pool and contract situation, acquiring a proven complimentary top 6 forward, even with a contract length of 3 years, a bad idea? It's not like we have to worry about future cap space, or a prospect really taking his spot in the next year or two.

Why do YOU want a 36 year old 4th line winger, piqued? When we already have a much improved bottom 6? I assume it's because of the lack of long term commitment we'd be making... but you know what, Joe knows what he's doing...

Old
10-10-2011, 05:02 PM
piqued

Nothing you're writing makes any sense.

Yes it's a bad idea, obviously. I want a 4th line winger because, who gives a ****, it's a 4th line winger. This is a temporary problem that calls for a temporary solution.

I dislike Ott as much as anyone, but he's not a 30 point forward on the 2nd line. That's ludicrous and disingenuous.

Old
10-10-2011, 08:48 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Quote:
Nothing you're writing makes any sense.

Yes it's a bad idea, obviously. I want a 4th line winger because, who gives a ****, it's a 4th line winger. This is a temporary problem that calls for a temporary solution.

I dislike Ott as much as anyone, but he's not a 30 point forward on the 2nd line. That's ludicrous and disingenuous.
Nonsense? Then your head is full of pucks. We don't need another 4th line winger/forward. If we need 4th line forwards we can just call up someone from Texas like Gazdic or Wathier. We lack top end offensive skill RIGHT NOW as evidenced by our almost fail against Phoenix tonight.

And yeah, Ott is a 30-35 point forward unless he gets #1 PP time and 18 minutes a night. And then maybe he's a 45 point forward as evidenced by his 19g 27a season when Richards AND Morrow were out for extended periods of time.

And a temporary problem? Pretty sure we can afford to have a guy signed for 2 more years at 3.5 million to hustle and put up 45-55 points. Patching a tire isn't a permanent solution, piqued. Eventually you gotta get a new tire, and that costs you. And you know what? Our top 6 tire is leaking air.

Old
10-10-2011, 08:57 PM
piqued

Stajan.... top end offensive skill..... ahahahahaha

Don't need another 4th line forward? Of course we do. Did you see how Gulutzan didn't trust his 4th line to go on the ice tonight? Gazdic and Wathier are not NHL players.

Your trade proposals suck. You're way to hasty to dismiss things when other teams' fans post them and then your own ones manage somehow to find a way to hurt the Stars.

Old
10-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Sports

Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 09:46 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

My suggestion: (warning you'll all hate it)

Fistric + for Todd bertuzzi.

Morrow-ribs-Ryder
Loui-benn-Bert

Now that's a top six I can get into

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 10:12 PM
piqued

I stop following the Stars if that happens.

Old
10-10-2011, 10:16 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecantscorefromthere View Post
My suggestion: (warning you'll all hate it)

Fistric + for Todd bertuzzi.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Quote:
Stajan.... top end offensive skill..... ahahahahaha

Don't need another 4th line forward? Of course we do. Did you see how Gulutzan didn't trust his 4th line to go on the ice tonight? Gazdic and Wathier are not NHL players.

Your trade proposals suck. You're way to hasty to dismiss things when other teams' fans post them and then your own ones manage somehow to find a way to hurt the Stars.
Oh, did I insinuate that Stajan is top end offensive skill? Guess you're putting words in my mouth.

They're still riding guys like Ott and the other top 6 forwards hard. For whatever reason. Yeah, that fourth line? Yeah, it's getting fourth line ice time. That third line? Got a little light there on ice time, by a minute or two. Everyone want a liability out there tonight. Except Souray, to be honest.

Yeah, you want to trade for AK46 and Yannick Weber? How about Scott "Albatross Contract & 30 points" Gomez? How about Morrow for some parts we don't particularly need like Schneider, Samuelsson and a pick? Or some guys who can't crack the Leafs' roster? I've not seen a proposal on the boards that actually HELPS Dallas more than make us younger and a basement dweller. I suggest a top 6 C (playing for a ****** Calgary squad) and a promising young D-man who is a decent injury fill in, for a guy who'll be our expensive #7 and a small fourth liner... and you get on my ****? **** you piqued, you're worse than ScubaSteve.

And maybe we should trade for Bertuzzi. At least Crawford's gone.

Old
10-10-2011, 10:29 PM
piqued

Somebody's mad their proposal sucks...

Look at the way Flames fans are falling all over themselves to accept it. That says it all.

It all pretty clearly stems from your lack of recognition of how good Ribs actually is and your strange inability to accept the change that has occurred in Benn's career path.

It's OK, nothing personal. I agree that Joe will find a better solution.

Old
10-10-2011, 10:37 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Don't you dare make fun of my bertuzzi idea!!!

*edit: and piqued, he makes a good point. Though his idea may not be the best (like mine) at least it is way better than 90 percent of the proposals that pop up involving us.

Last edited by Stars99Lobo37: 10-10-2011 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Didn't need that insult
ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 10:45 PM
piqued

It doesn't involve us sending away our franchise players for scraps, no, that's true.

But it doesn't seem to recognize or appreciate the situation the Stars are in at all. This is the twilight zone here. We're talking about falling under the cap floor because a player we waived 3 years ago got demoted to the AHL. None of this is normal. The nightmare will end soon though. The key is to not to do anything that's going to hamstring us when we're able to begin operating like a regular NHL franchise again.

Essentially, we don't want to end up like Calgary where we're paying 62 million for a collection of underachieving vets that aren't going anywhere.