HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Charlotte/NC question. Apologies...

Old
10-04-2011, 10:26 AM
nyrmessier011

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Charlotte/NC question. Apologies...

I know this will tick off some mods, but coming to HF for years I know of no other place to get some help from good people.

I am ready to make a move out of NYC and Charlotte is likely my destination. I am a finance guy and I'm sick and tired of the job market in NYC--not to mention the politics etc (but that's for another day). I have three years experience (laid off in April), all my securities licenses etc, and still can't find another job. So it's time to be proactive and make a change, and I have always wanted to live in the south, so I am going for it.

I know Raleigh is quite far from Charlotte, but I was hoping some of you could answer some questions and/or provide some color on the city. I am 25 years old and looking into the finance/banking down there. I am well aware the job market sucks everywhere, but Charlotte appears vastly underrated when it comes to work in my field. Living in NYC I've been involved in the bar scene, nightlife etc. While NYC is a different animal for sure, Charlotte was a blast when I visited last weekend. The city is clean, everyone was nice, and the feel was great--lot of younger people to meet in the city center, etc. I want to live in one of the better areas, accessible to all the scenes, and hopefully close to the financial areas to grind out a job. I have done some due diligence and it seems The Wards and uptown is probably my best bet for this. I am going to try as hard as possible to live in one of the most "walkable" areas...

Apologies for this thread. I see these a lot on the NYR board and tend to roll my eyes, but HF has been a great place to share some ideas, so I'd appreciate some help with this. If you would like to PM me, or share your thoughts on a wider spread scale to start up a convo, that's great. Hopefully we can leave this open a few days until the season starts. Really appreciate it.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 11:48 AM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

You might be interested in SouthEnd. Good mix of 20 and 30 something professionals. Some of the Checkers, both from the AHL and ECHL teams lived in that part of town and seemed to enjoy it. The light rail train runs through it so you won't have to drive into uptown.

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

SouthEnd is good with the light rail access. There are plenty of good places Uptown, all of which will be quite walkable. I really like North Davidson a lot but it's not well connected to downtown. Charlotte has been doing some good things with transit and walking/cycling.

I grew up in Charlotte and it's interesting to see how far it has come. It has a vibrant downtown now, but my major problem with it is that there a definite lack of culture. That said, I have gone from "I will never live in Charlotte" several years ago to "I won't try to live in Charlotte but I would if I got a good offer".

10-05-2011, 07:45 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I would also suggest SouthEnd, particularly the blocks closer to Uptown. It's walkable, young-professional oriented, and the rail line will drop you right in front of the bank HQs.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:22 AM
agent22red
10/10/14

vCash: 206
the southpark area is really nice too, def my favorite area around charlotte.

agent22red is offline   Reply With Quote