HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles sign Strome to ELC **Post #62 returned to Niagara**

Old
10-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep1212 View Post
Could you overreact any more? Jesus, they haven't even decided if the kid is going to play any games, just that he will stick around the team, and hang out in the locker room until Nino is off IR.
I could over react more. not in the mood to. i over reacted a perfect amount IMO.

I see no point in keeping him around whether he'll play or not, but especially if he won't. He'll learn what NHL life is like when he's ready to be part of the team. It isn't a lesson that needs to be taught now.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:27 PM
ledzep1212
COYB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
I could over react more. not in the mood to. i over reacted a perfect amount IMO.

I see no point in keeping him around whether he'll play or not, but especially if he won't. He'll learn what NHL life is like when he's ready to be part of the team. It isn't a lesson that needs to be taught now.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with keeping him around for a game or 2 until Nino is ready to come off IR, and then sending him back to Niagra to dominate the OHL, and the WJC.

ledzep1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:47 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:

I am hoping that Strome is sent back to Niagara right away, but I don't think giving him the 9-game stint will hurt him. He's obviously someone that the organization is banking on in the future, why not let him get a taste of what his future may hold with the Isles? I would think it would give him loads of motivation when he is returned to the Ice Dogs.

I am looking forward to him ripping apart the OHL again this year and playing a big role on Canada's WJC team this year. It's all up to him to get bigger and stronger since that is what is holding him back. He's still just a kid too, a young 18 (compared to the other 2011 draftees).

It reminds me of Bull Durham when Costner is telling the guys about his short stint in the 'Show'.

'Yeah, I was in the show. I was in the show for 21 days once - the 21 greatest days of my life. You know, you never handle your luggage in the show, somebody else carries your bags. It was great. You hit white balls for batting practice, the ballparks are like cathedrals, the hotels all have room service, and the women all have long legs and brains.'

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

It isn't a matter of hurting him. It's a matter of doing what's best for the organization, and waiting on his free 9 games till next year is the prudent thing to do.

As for if he's just staying here for a game or 2 and watching from the pressbox, I see no point to it at all. What is he going to learn that he hasn't learned already? They don't even go on the road till the 20th.

I'd just assume send him back to his team now and let them properly get ready for their season.

Old
10-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
It isn't a matter of hurting him. It's a matter of doing what's best for the organization, and waiting on his free 9 games till next year is the prudent thing to do.

As for if he's just staying here for a game or 2 and watching from the pressbox, I see no point to it at all. What is he going to learn that he hasn't learned already? They don't even go on the road till the 20th.

I'd just assume send him back to his team now and let them properly get ready for their season.
Maybe they just want to give him a taste, i dunno.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 01:05 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:

Sending him back before the season starts would be the most prudent thing, but that decision is not up to us. Who the hell knows that Garth and the organization is thinking? If I was the GM for a day, the first two things I would do is to send Strome back to Niagara and Nino back to Portland.

There still is time before Saturday for moves to be made. Maybe that will happen. Since Nino is on the IR, does he need to come off it before he is eligible to be sent back to Junior? Was wondering about that.

Old
10-05-2011, 01:07 PM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

Quote:
While I am against Strome staying for the 9 games, I do believe that even if he does stay for the 9 games this season, he still has 9 more free games next season.

Backhand of Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 01:12 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

pretty sure that's not the case. his 10th game in the NHL starts the first year of his ELC

Old
10-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

once again, I hope Strome comes out of the gates and scores goals and makes great plays and he earns his stay up here. Same goes for Nino!! If they kids show they can play then keep them up.. im not going to waste my time in arguing with the "oh there young and fragile crowd" save that mentality for your children.

These guys have waited there whole life to play in the NHL and make $$$$$ so let em earn it!!!

If I was Garth id get Kabanov, Strome and Nino and say.. you wanna play? show me what you got kid and make the other guy work harder to stop you!! If they kick ass.. they play.. if not then say come back and say use this to ensure you wont ever be sent down again.

Dutch Frost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:29 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
While I am against Strome staying for the 9 games, I do believe that even if he does stay for the 9 games this season, he still has 9 more free games next season.
Quote:
pretty sure that's not the case. his 10th game in the NHL starts the first year of his ELC
Just seconding the bolded; this actually is the case for Strome since he signed his ELC at age 18 (and will still be age 18 on September 15th in this calendar year. The CBA is annoying.)

Pertinent CBA legal crap:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL CBA
http://www.nhl.com/cba/2005-CBA.pdf
ARTICLE 9
ENTRY LEVEL COMPENSATION

9.1 Applicability and Duration.
(d) (i) In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC. Unless a Player and Club expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an additional year in accordance with this subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary, games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided, however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all circumstances.

(ii) In the event that a Player signs his first SPC at age 18 and has had his SPC extended pursuant to Subsection (i), and such Player does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the second season under that SPC, then the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for one (1) additional year. Unless a Player and Club expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an additional year in accordance with this Subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary, games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided, however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all circumstances.

9.2 Age of Players. As used in this Article, "age," including "First SPC Signing Age," means a Player's age on September 15 of the calendar year in which he signs an SPC, regardless of his actual age on the date he signs such SPC.
Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:50 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I am hoping that Strome is sent back to Niagara right away, but I don't think giving him the 9-game stint will hurt him. He's obviously someone that the organization is banking on in the future, why not let him get a taste of what his future may hold with the Isles? I would think it would give him loads of motivation when he is returned to the Ice Dogs.
Not discounting what you're saying here, but a return to Niagara could also function to hurt his confidence. Nino alluded to this last year, had a bit of a lull coming to terms with the reality that he didn't make the NHL and re-adjusting to the WHL (and his role within). Depending on the player's makeup (e.g. how they handle changes), the stint could have an adverse effect, albeit probably for the short term.

That said, if they do decide to play him, think it would be beneficial to put him in a role he could succeed, like with offensive players.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
Not discounting what you're saying here, but a return to Niagara could also function to hurt his confidence. Nino alluded to this last year, had a bit of a lull coming to terms with the reality that he didn't make the NHL and re-adjusting to the WHL (and his role within). Depending on the player's makeup (e.g. how they handle changes), the stint could have an adverse effect, albeit probably for the short term.

That said, if they do decide to play him, think it would be beneficial to put him a in a role he could succeed, like with offensive players.
Nino was at least in NHL shape and was able to play with the big boys right away. Strome isn't. Just look at him. He looks like a baby compared to NHL players.

Old
10-05-2011, 03:06 PM
mitchy22

He's probably not even going to get to 9 games, but as far as I'm concerned he seemed like a very heady player who gave it his all every shift. Not to mention, the kid has very good balance. He might not have much size, but he knows how to pour everything he has into whatever it is he needs to do without falling over. I can remember two cases during the preseason where he literally angled himself about as far as he could without falling over to protect the puck or knock someone else off of it.

Strome will be fine for the handful of games that he's likely to see. If he makes it to 9 games, it'll be for a good reason, but it probably won't even happen. I find it extremely doubtful that he stays with the club beyond that.

Regardless, more strength and stamina will do wonders for this kid's hockey game. I think his brain will keep him more than safe for whatever time he's here for; his drive and work ethic will do the rest. I wouldn't get too upset about it.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:32 PM
periferal

Quote:
Nino was at least in NHL shape and was able to play with the big boys right away. Strome isn't. Just look at him. He looks like a baby compared to NHL players.
To be clear...I 100% think Strome should be sent back to the minors, but he looks just like Jeff Skinner did a year ago.

periferal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:11 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
To be clear...I 100% think Strome should be sent back to the minors, but he looks just like Jeff Skinner did a year ago.
he does look like jeff skinner - but he also looks like justin bieber, or like many other children that aren't ready to battle with angry grown men in the best hockey league in the world.

Skinner showed he belonged all through training camp last year, including his 9 game stint, and proved everyone wrong the rest of the season, especially in those important games down the stretch. I haven't seen that level of play from Strome, not even against marginal talent in the pre-season. He's been good, in spurts, but hardly good enough to warrant an NHL job.

Neither has Niederreter (from what I've seen, that is) but they can/will certainly get the opportunity to show that they are better than one of:
Tavares, Okposo, Grabner, Nielsen, Moulson, Parenteau, Bailey, Comeau, Rolston, Reasoner - all of whom are established NHL players.

I'm rooting for them, I hope they score a tonne, I hope they show they belong and I still think they SHOULD send them back. I'm betting they will only show that they are close, but "not yet" - just like Bailey showed in his first season.

(I recall Bailey's first camp and I also thought he was completely overmatched and was shocked he was kept. Mind you, that team was even more awful)

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:44 PM
periferal

Capuano says that Strome is not expected to be in the lineup Saturday night. Any reason why we're keeping him up if he's not going to play?

Old
10-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

Quote:
Capuano says that Strome is not expected to be in the lineup Saturday night. Any reason why we're keeping him up if he's not going to play?
Like Capuano and Snow said, they want him to take in the "full NHL experience".

Old
10-06-2011, 02:17 PM
periferal

Quote:
Like Capuano and Snow said, they want him to take in the "full NHL experience".

Ahhhhh....Right - The "Full NHL Experience" (minus actually playing).

You mean like this...?

Old
10-06-2011, 02:24 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:

You mean like this...?
Stromer looks different in those photos....and I thought he was going to wear #8, not #11. I wonder if I can return my jersey...or maybe I can cut out the "H I L B E R T" letters and replace them with "S T R O M E"

hmm.

Old
10-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Stromer looks different in those photos....and I thought he was going to wear #8, not #11. I wonder if I can return my jersey...or maybe I can cut out the "H I L B E R T" letters and replace them with "S T R O M E"

hmm.
You're kidding, right?

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Brunomics

Quote:

You mean like this...?

For the record Kevin Connolly is from Medford and not Patchogue, he lived on my block when we were kids.

Besides this is stupid, if they aren't going to dress him send him to Niagra already to start playing. But whatever it's not going to hurt him either way, it's just stupid.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:55 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
You're kidding, right?
kidding - in every way.

I liked Entourage though.

But if Kevin Connolly lines up on RW, Strome at C and Wang JR on LW, I'm seriously done with this team.

Old
10-06-2011, 03:39 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Leave it up to the Isles going with the unorthodox move with Strome. I would prefer that he be sent back to Niagara immediately, but it is what it is. I hope Strome makes the most of this though. He'll be with the big club for practices and he better soak in everything he can and go back to the Ice Dogs ready for blood.

If he has the season that we all expect from him and he puts on another 10-15 pounds of rip, then I think we could just put his name in the NHL lineup with pen ink next year. I don't think that would be the right move, but that seems to be the plan with this management regime.

Old
10-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Rumor: Josh Bailey To Be Traded

Incarcerated Bob has been tweeting all morning that Josh Bailey wants out of LI and wants to be traded. He does not like seeing his ice time being taking away. His agent was not happy with the way Garth and Co. handled the contract renewal and actually hates it on Long Island.

Strome might be his replacement folks!!

Dutch Frost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
Incarcerated Bob has been tweeting all morning that Josh Bailey wants out of LI and wants to be traded. He does not like seeing his ice time being taking away. His agent was not happy with the way Garth and Co. handled the contract renewal and actually hates it on Long Island.

Strome might be his replacement folks!!
I replied to him saying he's just as bad as Eklund. I don't remember the last time he got a hockey rumor right.