HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What An Insane Offseason...

Old
10-04-2011, 06:04 PM
periferal

vCash: 500
What An Insane Offseason...

My fellow Islander fans...I've been following this team since the mid-1980's and I cannot remember a more active off-season in Islander history. Look at all that happened:

• Jack Capuano officially named head coach
  • Devils win 2011 Draft Lottery causing Isles to drop from 4th to 5th in the draft
  • Charles Wang and country executive Ed Mangano (and a very quiet Kate Murray) announce plans for a state of the art new arena based on August 1 bond referendum. A two-month "Vote Yes" advertising blitz, along with opposition propaganda, ensues.
  • Michael Grabner signs a 5 year/15 million deal
  • Kyle Okposo signs a 5 year/14 million deal
  • Doug Weight announces his retirement and Isles hire him as assistant coach and special assistant to the general manager
  • Isles sign Anders Nilsson to entry level deal
  • Within hours of the deadline to go back into the 2011 draft, Isles sign Casey Cizikas to entry level deal
  • Isles re-sign Trevor Gillies to a one year deal
  • Doug Weigh wins King Clancy Memorial trophy for his leadership and humanitarian contribution in his community
  • Islanders select Ryan Strome 5th overall in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft
  • Bruno Gervais traded to Tampa for future considerations
  • Brent Thompson named head coach of the Bridgeport Sound Tigers
  • Snow trades a 2012 4th round pick for negotiating rights for pending UFA, Christian Erhoff
  • ...After not being able to sign him, 24 hours later Snow then deals Erhoff's rights to Buffalo for their 2012 4th round pick
  • Isles agree to terms with UFA Marty Reasoner on a two-year deal
  • Sign Kirill Kabanov to his entry level contract
  • Nabokov allowed to play in World Championships in exchange for showing up at camp without protest
  • Ryan Strome scores insane "through the legs" shootout goal at annual Blue & White Scrimmage
  • The infamous name "Yashin" linked with the Isles as a possible re-signing
  • August 1, 2011 - Public referendum for Isles new arena voted down handily by Nassau voters leaving Charles Wang "heartbroken."
  • Trent Hunter traded for (expensive) veteran Brian Rolston
  • Blake Comeau signs one year/2.5 million contract avoiding arbitration
  • John Tavares shows his commitment to the Islanders by signing a 6 year/33 million extension
  • Isles make "Tattoo Lou's" the first ever official tattoo shop of any professional sports franchise
  • David Toews reunited with his brother in trade with Chicago
  • Josh Bailey signs 2 year/2.1 million extension at last minute prior to Wang-mandated deadline to miss season
  • Mark Streit returns to NHL action for first time in over a year and then named 1st Swiss born captain in NHL History
  • Steve Staios invited to training camp and makes team as veteran defenceman
  • Islanders agree to terms on one-year deal with Jay Pandolfo
  • Ryan Strome signs his 3-year entry level contract

Honestly, I've never seen an offseason of activity like this list as long as I've been following the Islanders. I don't know if all of it will add up to a playoff season or the Islanders on Long Island past 2015, but you cannot say that the Islanders aren't open for business.

Here's to it all hopefully paying off in positive steps over the next 9 months.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 06:15 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

meh....I don't really get a buzz from re-signings. I don't why but I always feel like it will happen anyway if they are RFA status. The August 1st vote was insane. I could care less about the tattoo parlor.
I see what you are saying but I think we have had crazier offseasons or more active offseasons IMO....

M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 06:39 PM
macleod50

It might have been a busy offseason, but none of those moves get the team closer to a playoff spot.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 07:53 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Wish there was one more move: adding that top 4 dman.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:05 PM
KH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post
It might have been a busy offseason, but none of those moves get the team closer to a playoff spot.
Agreed.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Hipietro

Completely forgot about the whole Ehrhoff thing.

Wow that feels like it was years ago...

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:27 PM
cjdv16

Was quiet IMHO.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 05:09 AM
JJmcD
The Power Of Love

It comes down to quantity vs. quality. While I believe the Islanders did have a busy off-season, I don't think they made many important moves.

If you include all of the deaths, like the plane crash, then I would say it's the craziest off-season.

JJmcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 06:14 AM
ettlinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipietro View Post
Completely forgot about the whole Ehrhoff thing.

Wow that feels like it was years ago...
I saw him play live last night in the Mannheim-Buffalo game. Looked good out there (scored a goal on the PP). Too bad we couldn't sign him.

ettlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 06:48 AM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Spinning in circles is the same as standing still.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 08:03 AM
JKP

Quote:
Having Tavares locked up for the next 7 years gets the team closer without doubt. So do the cap-friendly deals Grabner and Okposo signed. Esp. if the next CBA dials back the cap next year.

And if the team performs as expected this year and battles for a PO spot, I believe his clear and very noticeable commitment will help the team add some missing pieces through UFA next summer.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Hip Of Rick

Alot of background noise this off season but with no arena plan in place it does not matter. We got our guys locked up long term but that does not = a successful off season.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:51 AM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:

Bingo.....

totally agree

10-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Noreaster96

Compared to the offseasons of yesteryear where we traded away all of our young talent, signing them to long term deals is indeed a breath of fresh air... I for one count this as a successful offseason... all part of the plan

Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:09 AM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
Having Tavares locked up for the next 7 years gets the team closer without doubt. So do the cap-friendly deals Grabner and Okposo signed. Esp. if the next CBA dials back the cap next year.

And if the team performs as expected this year and battles for a PO spot, I believe his clear and very noticeable commitment will help the team add some missing pieces through UFA next summer.
This season? No, it doesnt. Signing Tavares and Grabner is great, but not getting them any help essentially cancels that out.

There has to be a point where you start seeing some progression towards the endgame (playoffs/cup). Will it be this season? I don't think so, imo. The stars would have to align perfectly, no major injuries could occur, and other teams would have to collapse. The 10th, 11th, and 12th place projections seem entirely reasonable at this point. Most teams around the Islanders continue to evolve and try to fix their needs. It's something the Islanders have not done.

I said it in another thread, we're starting to watch a good young core become wasted since the onus is on them to win. Not signing or trading for any good veteran top six wingers or a top four defensemen is criminal at this point. Snow is in a position of strength regarding the amount of quality prospects he has. If you have to throw in an extra player/prospect to marketdly improve this team at this point, you do it if you want to take the next step. I don't want him to go all Milbury on the team but he has the ability to deal from a position of strength and he needs to do that.

Last edited by macleod50: 10-05-2011 at 10:15 AM.
macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:43 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
This season? No, it doesnt. Signing Tavares and Grabner is great, but not getting them any help essentially cancels that out.

There has to be a point where you start seeing some progression towards the endgame (playoffs/cup). Will it be this season? I don't think so, imo. The stars would have to align perfectly, no major injuries could occur, and other teams would have to collapse. The 10th, 11th, and 12th place projections seem entirely reasonable at this point. Most teams around the Islanders continue to evolve and try to fix their needs. It's something the Islanders have not done.

I said it in another thread, we're starting to watch a good young core become wasted since the onus is on them to win. Not signing or trading for any good veteran top six wingers or a top four defensemen is criminal at this point. Snow is in a position of strength regarding the amount of quality prospects he has. If you have to throw in an extra player/prospect to marketdly improve this team at this point, you do it if you want to take the next step. I don't want him to go all Milbury on the team but he has the ability to deal from a position of strength and he needs to do that.
Tavares' line didn't need help....they needed to mature.
Grabner's line didn't need help, they needed a healthy Okposo (and Okposo serves the end game most over imported help)
Bailey's line needed a steady injection of smart, offensive play. Rolston helps Bailey the most but also gives Comeau someone to pass to ensuring he won't be circling forever waiting for bad linemate play to open up space.
Line 4 Reasoner keeps the faceoff ability lost in Konopka but helps Martin and whoever play a reliable game. Ideally the other winger is Haley so we have an agitating line, but it's strong enough to carry Gillies for the 20 games we'll need him.

It opens up a chance to make a trade for better, though. Bailey and someone for a solid defenseman (assuming Strome or Nino makes headwinds this winter and can be recalled in March)? Who knows. But the roles are filled and logical, the talent could be upgraded, but who's giving us a first line RW'er? Who's giving us a #1 or 2 defenseman?

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 01:01 PM
periferal

So tell me...

Quote:

For me, it's pretty useless when people complain, but don't offer a REALISTIC and PLAUSIBLE solution to the thing they're complaining about.

This post acts as if good defensemen and forwards are just waiting to be dealt by GMs all over the league, and all Snow has to do is offer DeHaan and Niederreiter and Anahaim will send us Corey Perry.

I see threads all over these boards with offers for a superstar like Drew Doughty, who without question would help the Isles, but do you believe for a second that in REALITY Dean Lombardi had him on the trade market? Please.

Everyone whining for the Isles to trade for another good/amazing player act as if it's as easy as going down to Starbucks and ordering a latte. I would love for this poster to specifically name the NHL players he'd like that were 100% on the trade market over the past year and what would be needed to trade for them.

And as for "a good young core become wasted since the onus is on them to win" - Seriously...What? There are numerous precedents all over sports including the NHL for a "young core" to ripen and mature and all of a sudden become a championship caliber team - Simply because they grew up. John Tavares just became legally old enough to drink and he's basically a 30-goal scorer. I guess we believe it's all downhill from here and he'll only be scoring 15 goals at age 25. Same goes for Okposo, Grabner, Bailey, Strome, Niederreiter, Hamonic, MacDonald, Poulin, Nilsson, Kabanov - All of whom still aren't old enough to rent a car.

I'm under no illusions that for the 2011-2012 Islanders to have any true success that more veteran production (especially on defense) would be needed. However I not only believe that Snow knows this and has explored most all REALISTIC options (Christian Erhoff), but I also believe that even if there is a deal out there to be made that it could hurt the team in the long run more than it can help.

We truly earned all these top prospects that now reside in the Islander organization. I believe many are going to be good, if not great, NHL players and I'm personally ok enjoying a slower ride to a Stanley Cup contender if it means a longer window of success, which I believe it does.

There are no guarantees, but I sure know that I wish Milbury made NO DEALS when he was GM so the last decade or so years we could have had an "older core" of Spezza, Chara, Gaborik/Heatley, Luongo, Jokinen, Bertuzzi, Berard, Brewer, and Connolly among others. This new rebuild, which just feels legit and I believe Snow won't trade away, is the only thing that makes me sleep better having lived through Milbury's controlled detonation of the last one.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Jeffster
since Easter Epic

Thank you for the recap. I've been watching baseball so wasn't aware of most of this. I'm going to try to stay up with more Islanders news this season since I won't be starting from behind this year.

Last season I started a couple months behind so I didn't read about anything because I didn't want to spoil the game results until I watched them on Gamecenter.

Jeffster is offline   Reply With Quote