HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All Purpose Luongo Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Like when they told him people cheered when he was pulled. You could tell by his reaction it affected him. The reaction to his Thomas comments Also affected him. It's too bad.. Because when he's in a zone.. He is the best goalie in the world.
Reminds me of that game vs CHI where he got that shutout with that toe save vs Kane

When he's there he is hands down the best goalie in the world and there is no competition but I think he's so smart that he overanalyzes everything. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a mensa level genius, but I think that has some flaws when you're a huge piece in a huge market that gets looked at all day every day and hasn't been able to take his team to the promised land yet.

He deserves criticism for stuff but what he takes is just way too much.

Old
10-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Royal Canuck
Ronnie Hockey!

vCash: 814
you also have to remember that TSN put Matt Read for the Calder winner. yeah Matt Read, most people haven't even heard of him and yet TSN is putting him in for the Calder...

Old
10-04-2011, 10:40 PM
Sedin2Sedin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
I'm sure everyone know about my Luongo posts this past summer but wow is this getting stupid.

The lack of respect and sheer bias from fans and media towards this guy is getting out of hand.

Picking a guy like Ryan Miller ahead of him (like the TsN panel just did) is borderline ********. Especially with morons like Aaron Ward saying he is more consistent than Luongo. Did he see his terrible performance in the playoffs vs Philly? The one where he was outplayed by 3 backups?

A goalie who had a great playoffs besides 4 games in the finals, vezina nominee is apparently ranked 43rd.

I feel local media and Canuck fans have a right to question and criticize Lu but this national hate is getting sad.

Almost any team in the league would kill to have him.

If anything, it just makes me want to cheer for Lu more just to say **** you to everyone.

So we exactly do we have to worship Luongo as much as you do?? I have always had faith in Luongo's play and even defended him to other fans; but frankly after I've seen how fragile he was mentally in the Boston series it's definitely going to be a 'wait and see' sort of year with Luongo. He could record his best regular season in his career and I still wouldn't care, it all comes down to what he does in the PLAYOFFS.

Old
10-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Soth

vCash: 833
The problem is most hockey fans do not understand the goalie position.

Goalie is easy to blame "AHHhh DUUrrrr we lost acuz our goalie let that black round thing in duh netz... BAD GOALIE DUURRR"

Yes, Lu had a FEW bad games. So does every goalie. In the games where he did his worst, the defense in front of him played like garbage too. But people do not see the defense, they just see round thing in net, therefore bad goalie.

Pretty frustrating considering we have one of the top 5 goalies in the world on our team, but he is treated like garbage.

Old
10-05-2011, 12:11 AM
keslehr*

43rd?? Seriously???

Old
10-05-2011, 12:25 AM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedin2Sedin View Post
So we exactly do we have to worship Luongo as much as you do?? I have always had faith in Luongo's play and even defended him to other fans; but frankly after I've seen how fragile he was mentally in the Boston series it's definitely going to be a 'wait and see' sort of year with Luongo. He could record his best regular season in his career and I still wouldn't care, it all comes down to what he does in the PLAYOFFS.
Worship Luongo

Old
10-05-2011, 12:32 AM
Diamonddog01

Actually I tend to think Luongo is getting exactly what he deserves. And it's a vocal minority of Canucks fans, who like any fans, support their team and it's players, who pretend as though he's "unfairly getting flack" or is "now being underrated". He's a arrogant player with some serious question marks in the playoffs, and has left a bad taste in many people's (including mine) mouths.

If he played better, he'd be recognized as a better player. It's that simple. There is nothing unfair, or conspiratorial, about people across the league, whether it's other fans, or media analysts calling Luongo out for his bullsh!t.

Old
10-05-2011, 12:32 AM
keslerburrows

What pushed me over the edge is the 'Hiller vs. Luongo' right now. It is borderline ******** that Hiller is winning that poll. They say Hiller is better in pressure sittuations/Playoffs.... but HE HAS ONLY PLAYED 13 PLAYOFF GAMES!

Mind boggling.

EDIT: Lou is now winning the poll, still crazy that it's close.

Old
10-05-2011, 12:36 AM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
I'm sure everyone know about my Luongo posts this past summer but wow is this getting stupid.

The lack of respect and sheer bias from fans and media towards this guy is getting out of hand.

Picking a guy like Ryan Miller ahead of him (like the TsN panel just did) is borderline ********. Especially with morons like Aaron Ward saying he is more consistent than Luongo. Did he see his terrible performance in the playoffs vs Philly? The one where he was outplayed by 3 backups?

A goalie who had a great playoffs besides 4 games in the finals, vezina nominee is apparently ranked 43rd.

I feel local media and Canuck fans have a right to question and criticize Lu but this national hate is getting sad.

If anything, it just makes me want to cheer for Lu more just to say **** you to everyone.
Good to see you are coming around.

I questioned Luo as much as you did in the summer when I got here as well, trust me. But I found it got downright ridiculous. Everybody who says Luongo is not a winner, mentally weak. If he was those things, Vancouver would've lost game 7 vs Chicago. Plain and simple.

The difference between most people comparing Luongo to other goalies in the league in media, other fans etc. is that they hold Luongo to some ridiculous standard and throw all common sense out the window. Objectivity is the first casualty of arguments involving Luongo with these people.

Which is why I gave Luongo unconditional support throughout the playoffs, because quite frankly he had earned it in my books. I still find it sad that our fans turned on him in the Final, and then openly discussed whether he had the mental ability to win the most important game in Canucks history. That sickened me to no end.

But again, this post is so true it's sad. Great post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedin2Sedin View Post
So we exactly do we have to worship Luongo as much as you do?? .
I stopped reading after that.

You clearly were not in any threads in the summer discussing Luongo. I was and I can tell of all people, Liquid does not worship Luongo. He just has good awareness and understanding.

Old
10-05-2011, 12:38 AM
Tin Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
Reminds me of that game vs CHI where he got that shutout with that toe save vs Kane

When he's there he is hands down the best goalie in the world and there is no competition but I think he's so smart that he overanalyzes everything. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a mensa level genius, but I think that has some flaws when you're a huge piece in a huge market that gets looked at all day every day and hasn't been able to take his team to the promised land yet.
Yeah, me too. First thing I think of when I see Luongo is "mensa level genius..."

Seriously, though, the guy is the king of stats, and we all know Gillis loves him some stats. One of these days, the averages will probably work out and Luongo will win us the cup.

Old
10-05-2011, 12:45 AM
FakeKidPoker*

Quote:
Never seen a goalie (Miller) live off 1 season so much since Jim Carey
Roberto Luongo comes to mind with his 06-07 year

Old
10-05-2011, 12:50 AM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post
Roberto Luongo comes to mind with his 06-07 year
You have no idea how stupid you look right now.

Old
10-05-2011, 01:01 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Horn View Post
Yeah, me too. First thing I think of when I see Luongo is "mensa level genius..."
How about this guy?

Does he look like a genius? Because to me he just looks nuts.

James Woods has an IQ of 180

Sharon Stone has an IQ of 160

Wasn't this guy a Harvard graduate?

This is a picture of Chris Langan, the world's smartest man with an IQ of over 200. He's a bouncer at a bar and has worked there for the last 20 years.

The way someone looks doesn't mean anything

Old
10-05-2011, 01:21 AM
timorousme
luongod

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Girls1Burrows View Post
What pushed me over the edge is the 'Hiller vs. Luongo' right now. It is borderline ******** that Hiller is winning that poll. They say Hiller is better in pressure sittuations/Playoffs.... but HE HAS ONLY PLAYED 13 PLAYOFF GAMES!

Mind boggling.

serious question, two parts

a) why do you care?

b) what change will this poll have on the world?

Old
10-05-2011, 01:32 AM
FakeKidPoker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
You have no idea how stupid you look right now.
no u

Old
10-05-2011, 01:33 AM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Girls1Burrows View Post

Mind boggling.

If its going to be judged by 13 games can't we use Luongo's first 13?!?!?

In his first playoff (12 games) he had a GAA of 1.77 & a .941 save%

and in Game 1 of the St Louis series he let in a goal & had a .961 save%

don't know what those add up to but they are better then Hiller's GAA: 2.23 & .943 save%

Old
10-05-2011, 01:41 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Well maybe Lou pulls a Samuelson and just tells TSN to go fug themselves...and proceeds to win it all.

Of course, they still wouldn't give Lou any credit. He'd have to be wearing the Maple Leaf or Habitant sweater to get any real respect.
Sometimes I just wish he would do that. Tell it to the haters.

Then, of course, the media would be all over his comments saying he's losing it, he's mentally fragile and not tough enough to be in the spotlight, could this outburst be a disturbing sign of things to come...

He can't win in a situation like this. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Funnily enough the only way he can win is to... well, win.

Old
10-05-2011, 01:52 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Quote:

Was not expecting you to post something like this. Props, I guess.

Old
10-05-2011, 02:05 AM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:

Way to pump Luongo's tires!

Old
10-05-2011, 02:11 AM
Tin Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post

The way someone looks doesn't mean anything
You're taking "see" quite literally. I just read your post and had this image of Luongo sitting around the player's lounge doing intense physics equations in his spare time. I thought it was funny...?

Anyway, yeah, great goalie.

Old
10-05-2011, 02:17 AM
glassjaw*

Quote:
Did he see his terrible performance in the playoffs vs Philly? The one where he was outplayed by 3 backups?
Right off the bat, you're wrong.

Old
10-05-2011, 02:27 AM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
Right off the bat, you're wrong.
Right off the bat, you find a reason to whine. It's bang on. He was outplayed by 3 backups and **** the bed in game 7.

Just like he let in one of the softest goals in history in the gold medal game which happened to be in overtime.

The guy has lived off the rep of 1 good season forever and always seems to have a crutch. I'm sure there's already a pre planned excuse this season as well.

The fact of the matter is that he cant win the big game. PERIOD.

Last edited by LiquidSnake*: 10-05-2011 at 02:33 AM.
Old
10-05-2011, 02:32 AM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Was not expecting you to post something like this. Props, I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Way to pump Luongo's tires!
All I'm saying is, as canuck fans we have every right to compliment/criticize the guy considering we win and lose with him.

Ultimately we all want to see him succeed because that means our team succeeds.

A lot of media/fans out there seem to look for any reason to just rip the guy.

Old
10-05-2011, 02:34 AM
MTechnik
Showtime

Luongo deserve all the criticism in the world, maybe next time shut your yap and play hockey, win something of importance at the NHL level before saying ****. Game 3 and 4 performance was the worst I've ever seen of any goalie in the NHL, ****ing embarrassing.

When he play bad Lou fanboys go "oh it's the defense fault" but when the defense play great (which happens A LOT last season) it's ALL Luongo.

Old
10-05-2011, 03:07 AM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Based Kesler View Post
Luongo deserve all the criticism in the world, maybe next time shut your yap and play hockey, win something of importance at the NHL level before saying ****. Game 3 and 4 performance was the worst I've ever seen of any goalie in the NHL, ****ing embarrassing.

When he play bad Lou fanboys go "oh it's the defense fault" but when the defense play great (which happens A LOT last season) it's ALL Luongo.
I kinda agree with some of the things being said. He was downright awful and letting in three quick ones we were out of those games in about 10 minutes and we ALL knew it.

Closed Thread