HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All Purpose Luongo Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2011, 03:13 AM
Bougieman

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flik View Post
As Canucks fans, why do we give a **** what anyone thinks?
Because in this case, a lot of the crap about Lou is coming from Canuck fans?

Old
10-05-2011, 03:13 AM
Canuckommunist

vCash: 500
* Big market, big spotlight- with a very small margin for error. Touted as "the best goalie in the world" who lost to the real best goalie in the world this past playoffs.

* If you went to the Buffalo board you'd see there's not all the love out for Miller either.

* Vancouver's so trollable it's just golden for playoff-deprived fans in Edmonton, Calgary and Toronto looking desperately to find some kind of schadenfreude (they can do it only to us and the Leafs really) with a sprinkling of LA and CHI fans who are less deprived but just as (in some cases more) vicious.

* You can be try to be as sane and understanding as you'd like on the mainboards, but all people are gonna remember about Vancouver fans is some dumbass posts a "Hodgson + scraps for your franchise player" trade, Burrows' biting and the riot. So bring up Luongo and guess what they'll say.

* Vancouver fans are notorious for committing virtual sepukku after every loss, and for some people every turnover, goal scored against or chance missed. We've got a bit inferiority complex, no cups, a lot of playoffs torment and we're closer then we've ever been- excepting the '94 run. Not a surprise some of that angst/anger is going to be directed towards a net-minder being paid $10,000,000 and touted as the "greatest goaltender" (I mentioned that above though).

* We seem to, for once in our history, have two very decent goalies waiting in the wing.

etc.

Old
10-05-2011, 04:55 AM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

vCash: 888
the whole ryan miller argument is a red herring...who really cares? all that tsn wants to do is initiate a discussion that will drive people to click on their rankings to see for themselves how such a group of idiots could possibly think that ryan miller is a better goaltender than roberto luongo

we're 2 months removed from the stanley cup finals debacle, and the general consensus opinion on this board has become that luongo is a martyr, unfairly criticised by by out-of-town journalists, and everybody's ready to hop on the bandwagon again

the issue that i have with this boosterism and luongo (besides his contract, which is a whole other issue that will be very interesting to discuss 3-4 years from now) is that when he's off, he's way way off...while you can say that a 2-1 loss is the same as losing while giving up 5-8 goals, i'd question whether that's really true in a playoff series where momentum can shift from game-to-game and period-to-period

in remembering the cup run, i'm trying to remember games where his play really made a difference in the playoffs - game 5 against san jose, game 1 against boston for example - and give him credit, no doubt, for putting up some pretty strong performances...however, the amount of games that luongo gave his team absolutely no chance to win, especially in the finals, was disturbing

and the more i think of it...game 7 against chicago, outside of luongo's save on patrick sharp, wasn't exactly a game that luongo stole...the canucks absolutely dominated that game, deserved to win, and all luongo had to do was not allow a bad goal, which is what his job was most of the year playing behind the most balanced d-core in the league

when the d-core wore down in the finals, luongo couldn't hold the fort and wasn't just bad, but shockingly, irreversibly, and inexcusably bad...in the 4 canuck losses, his best performance was in game 3 where he allowed 8 goals, something that just amazes me

and again, it's not just his play on the ice but also his attitude off the ice...he's the former captain, a team leader, and the team takes cues from his mood more than any other team in the nhl...of course, this means that no team has a bigger deflating effect after a soft early goal, and while part of this is the team's fault, it shows that luongo doesn't exactly inspire confidence in his teammates when he's having an off night

it also should not go without mentioning how bizarre and idiotic his post-game comments after game 5 of the finals were...we now know how many bruins mentioned the "pump tires" language in their post-finals celebrations, and tim thomas looked genuinely embarassed to be dragged into a needless war of words with luongo when he'd been badly outplaying him the entire series...i mean, after luongo made those stupid comments, he allowed 6 goals on 21 shots in games 6 and 7, allowing a goal on every 3.5 bruin shots...this kind of thing should be kept in mind when there are claims that there's this unjustified national hate that seemingly springs out of nowhere

this post is going to come off as way too negative, which i suppose it is...after all, he's not the sole reason why the finals went south, he's stolen his fair share of games over the years, he's a good teammate, he's a hard worker who successfully makes adjustments to his style of play...but i just feel like there should be some balance to the discussion and some memory of what everybody's thoughts were 2 months ago before we start getting collectively offended yet again by the lack of "elite" and "top 3" labels attached to luongo at a national level

Old
10-05-2011, 06:10 AM
sticknrink

well when your starting goalie says dumb ass **** like "i've been pumping his tires all series long and he hasn't reciprocated", then completely fall apart and get ventilated, yeah, people are going to point and laugh.

Luongo needs to wire his mouth shut.

Old
10-05-2011, 06:21 AM
Bougieman

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post

in remembering the cup run, i'm trying to remember games where his play really made a difference in the playoffs
That is exactly the problem with anyone who is underrating Lou at the moment, or blaming the fact that we didn't win the cup squarely on his shoulders. They forget all that he did.

They forget that Tim Thomas wasn't the only one with a bunch of shutouts in the Stanley Cup final. They forget everything incredible that Lou did to get us to the 7th game of the STF -- leading a team absolutely DECIMATED by injury -- and only remember the moments where he was merely and very painfully mortal.

Guess what? Tim Thomas -- the best goalie in the WORLD -- was very painfully mortal at times in last years playoffs too. But you would never know it.

Old
10-05-2011, 07:44 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 20000
Quote:
the whole ryan miller argument is a red herring...who really cares? all that tsn wants to do is initiate a discussion that will drive people to click on their rankings to see for themselves how such a group of idiots could possibly think that ryan miller is a better goaltender than roberto luongo

we're 2 months removed from the stanley cup finals debacle, and the general consensus opinion on this board has become that luongo is a martyr, unfairly criticised by by out-of-town journalists, and everybody's ready to hop on the bandwagon again

the issue that i have with this boosterism and luongo (besides his contract, which is a whole other issue that will be very interesting to discuss 3-4 years from now) is that when he's off, he's way way off...while you can say that a 2-1 loss is the same as losing while giving up 5-8 goals, i'd question whether that's really true in a playoff series where momentum can shift from game-to-game and period-to-period

in remembering the cup run, i'm trying to remember games where his play really made a difference in the playoffs - game 5 against san jose, game 1 against boston for example - and give him credit, no doubt, for putting up some pretty strong performances...however, the amount of games that luongo gave his team absolutely no chance to win, especially in the finals, was disturbing

and the more i think of it...game 7 against chicago, outside of luongo's save on patrick sharp, wasn't exactly a game that luongo stole...the canucks absolutely dominated that game, deserved to win, and all luongo had to do was not allow a bad goal, which is what his job was most of the year playing behind the most balanced d-core in the league

when the d-core wore down in the finals, luongo couldn't hold the fort and wasn't just bad, but shockingly, irreversibly, and inexcusably bad...in the 4 canuck losses, his best performance was in game 3 where he allowed 8 goals, something that just amazes me

and again, it's not just his play on the ice but also his attitude off the ice...he's the former captain, a team leader, and the team takes cues from his mood more than any other team in the nhl...of course, this means that no team has a bigger deflating effect after a soft early goal, and while part of this is the team's fault, it shows that luongo doesn't exactly inspire confidence in his teammates when he's having an off night

it also should not go without mentioning how bizarre and idiotic his post-game comments after game 5 of the finals were...we now know how many bruins mentioned the "pump tires" language in their post-finals celebrations, and tim thomas looked genuinely embarassed to be dragged into a needless war of words with luongo when he'd been badly outplaying him the entire series...i mean, after luongo made those stupid comments, he allowed 6 goals on 21 shots in games 6 and 7, allowing a goal on every 3.5 bruin shots...this kind of thing should be kept in mind when there are claims that there's this unjustified national hate that seemingly springs out of nowhere

this post is going to come off as way too negative, which i suppose it is...after all, he's not the sole reason why the finals went south, he's stolen his fair share of games over the years, he's a good teammate, he's a hard worker who successfully makes adjustments to his style of play...but i just feel like there should be some balance to the discussion and some memory of what everybody's thoughts were 2 months ago before we start getting collectively offended yet again by the lack of "elite" and "top 3" labels attached to luongo at a national level
Awesome post Jack. That there summed up exactly how I feel too and you did all the work. Thanks.

I remember after game 7 thinking his last two games were so bad when he should have risen to the occasion. He did not rise to the occasion and I will be very concerned the next time there's a big game on the line with Luongo in goal.

Last edited by Chairman Maouth: 10-05-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old
10-05-2011, 08:32 AM
Proto

vCash: 833
Quote:

It seems pretty clear from this that you are loathe to give Luongo credit for anything. Since when did "stealing" a game become the weird undefinable metric for good goaltending, anyway? People trying to discredit Luongo sure use it a lot.

Here's a thought: given the fact that the Canucks were the worst offensive club to make it out of the 1st round in about six decades, Luongo pretty much "stole" 3 series, whether he did it via traditional means or not.

I am convinced Canucks fans are just crazy enough that they would have been happier if Luongo had let in a few more goals against San Jose and the Canucks had lost that series in 6, with Luongo going down giving up an extra couple goals while the team was being outshot 94-45 (+/-) and then maybe losing a close game 6. Man, that would have been a valiant effort.

Old
10-05-2011, 08:51 AM
Steamer

Luongo has to prove he can win when he has to and when he should. It is all very fine for people to talk about the save on Sharp in heh 7th game against Chicago. but if he hadn't melted down in games 4 and 5, there wouldn't have been a game 7. Sometimes he is stunningly great, and sometimes he is stunningly bad. I don't believe he has the psyche to win the cup, but I hope he proves me wrong.

Old
10-05-2011, 09:02 AM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:

This is pretty much the same problem I have with Luongo. It's a matter of mindset. Some goalies appear to revel in opportunity to make a big save due to a defensive lapse. Lu sees the lapse and appears to be annoyed that he had to come out of this comfort zone to make the big save.

Luongo is great at maximizing his defensive coverage and playing the angles, playing the percentages and being in perfect position to make the save most of the time. His compete level is also very good for 2nd and 3rd chances, but he's not good at improvizing when all hell breaks loose, which is part of the reason why the losses are so spectacular. To use a football analogy, Luongo is like Peyton Manning. Ward, Miller, Thomas, they're more like Drew Brees. Both have won the Superbowl and I'm reasonably confident that Lu can lead us to the Cup.

Old
10-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 20000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Here's a thought: given the fact that the Canucks were the worst offensive club to make it out of the 1st round in about six decades,
You sure about that? The finals were abyssmal, but I've never heard that before.

Old
10-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

I find it funny that whenever the Canucks lose it's always due to a "Luongo meltdown". I understand there HAVE been meltdowns, but in several of these playoff games he's taken the entire blame and it hasn't been warranted.

Old
10-05-2011, 10:27 AM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
I find it funny that whenever the Canucks lose it's always due to a "Luongo meltdown". I understand there HAVE been meltdowns, but in several of these playoff games he's taken the entire blame and it hasn't been warranted.
This just isn't true. Quite a few Canucks have taken heaps of blame over the last few years for the playoff disappointments. Burrows and Kesler for their no-shows prior to last season. The Sedins for never really taking it to the next level. Bieksa for his three ring circus of a performance against Chicago. Demitra, Sundin, hell...even Ryan Johnson took some licks.

Luongo is an extremely high profile performer with this hockey club, and he's been a prime culprit in the playoff ousters of the last three years. Is putting all the blame on him fair? No. Is putting blame on him fair? Goodness, yes. On his best nights he's the finest goaltender we've ever had. He looks like he'll never allow another goal. Then the next night he looks like Dan Cloutier, and it seems like he'll never stop another shot. We've had disappointing playoff performers on this club before, but I can't remember the last time we had such a significant player be so inexplicably erratic. And when you look at how fragile this team tends to be...how dramatically they unravel when things go south...it's hard not to single out the guy who simply evaporates in net every now and then as part of the problem.

Old
10-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Diamonddog01

Quote:

Simply an outstanding post which should be stickied for future reference.

There is no conspiracy, nor is Luongo being unfairly persecuted. Any criticism he has received from around the league has it's roots in his play, plain and simple. All of us, as representatives of the Vancouver fanbase, should put this victim complex to rest.

Old
10-05-2011, 10:39 AM
Reign Nateo

Some of this falls on Luongo himself. It's time to shut up and get the job done. He just hasn't been good enough when it really counted. That is going to open you up to criticism in a market like this. It is up to him to rise above and take the next step with this team. Can't blame the fans and media for everything. He obviously gets rattled at times and showing that kind of weakness when you maybe have more pressure than any hockey player in the world, opens yourself up to what we've seen.

He's a much better goalie than the average NHL fan cares to beleive, but the "melt-down" reputation he has created is a lot of his doing. Changing that and defining his career with a winning reputuation is all up to him at this point.

Old
10-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
This just isn't true. Quite a few Canucks have taken heaps of blame over the last few years for the playoff disappointments. Burrows and Kesler for their no-shows prior to last season. The Sedins for never really taking it to the next level. Bieksa for his three ring circus of a performance against Chicago. Demitra, Sundin, hell...even Ryan Johnson took some licks.

Luongo is an extremely high profile performer with this hockey club, and he's been a prime culprit in the playoff ousters of the last three years. Is putting all the blame on him fair? No. Is putting blame on him fair? Goodness, yes. On his best nights he's the finest goaltender we've ever had. He looks like he'll never allow another goal. Then the next night he looks like Dan Cloutier, and it seems like he'll never stop another shot. We've had disappointing playoff performers on this club before, but I can't remember the last time we had such a significant player be so inexplicably erratic. And when you look at how fragile this team tends to be...how dramatically they unravel when things go south...it's hard not to single out the guy who simply evaporates in net every now and then as part of the problem.
To some people around here it is true. People around here look at 4-0, 5-0 or 7-2 games and they become a "Luongo meltdown". They don't see the defensive breakdowns that lead to the goals, they just see another puck behind Luongo and they pin it on him. If I see a bad goal against Luongo I have no problem calling him out for it, and if he costs the team a win he deserves a good dose of criticism but there are a lot of Canuck fans who have either zero knowledge about goaltending OR they've lost any objectivity when it comes to Luongo.

Old
10-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Wisp

Lu would be a hockey legend if he told TSN or CBC to go **** themselves.

Old
10-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Aquiace
The Goggles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
I'm sure everyone know about my Luongo posts this past summer but wow is this getting stupid.

The lack of respect and sheer bias from fans and media towards this guy is getting out of hand.

Picking a guy like Ryan Miller ahead of him (like the TsN panel just did) is borderline ********. Especially with morons like Aaron Ward saying he is more consistent than Luongo. Did he see his terrible performance in the playoffs vs Philly? The one where he was outplayed by 3 backups?

A goalie who had a great playoffs besides 4 games in the finals, vezina nominee is apparently ranked 43rd.

I feel local media and Canuck fans have a right to question and criticize Lu but this national hate is getting sad.

Almost any team in the league would kill to have him.

If anything, it just makes me want to cheer for Lu more just to say **** you to everyone.
Wait a sec... aren't you one of the main guys railing against Luongo all summer?

Old
10-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Proto

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
You sure about that? The finals were abyssmal, but I've never heard that before.
I think they technically had the worst offense of any team to make the finals in 54 years if you don't count teams that lost in the 1st round -- which makes sense, since that would be a ludicrously small sample size. So I may have misstated it.

At the very least, the Canucks were a bottom 10 (maybe bottom 5) offense from February thru June. They just fell off the map offensively.

Old
10-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Shareefruck

I would sort of agree with the thread title, but I think being ranked lower than Miller is completely justified.

I don't think there's any merit in "He was fantastic THIS often, but he ***** the bed only THIS often, so it balances out." He's much more inconsistent than alot of less talented goaltenders, and in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with considering him to be worse than them, because consistency is a HUGE deal.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 10-05-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old
10-05-2011, 12:47 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I would sort of agree with the thread title, but I think being ranked lower than Miller is completely justified.

I don't think there's any merit in "He was fantastic THIS often, but he ***** the bed only THIS often, so it balances out." He's much more consistent than alot of less talented goaltenders, and in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with considering him to be worse than them, because consistency is a HUGE deal.
What has Miller done? Outside of one outstanding season, what has he done? When Ryan Miller had a President's trophy winning team in front of him (yes, people often forget this) he couldn't even get to the SCF.

10-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
What has Miller done? Outside of one outstanding season, what has he done? When Ryan Miller had a President's trophy winning team in front of him (yes, people often forget this) he couldn't even get to the SCF.
In what context they were picking Miller over Luongo? Did they say he was a better goalie or did they think he'd win the Vezina? (I didn't see the show)I can see if it were about having better numbers that Miller might be chosen this year because Buffalo could have a very strong year, while a lot of people think the Canucks will struggle out of the gate.

Old
10-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Wisp

Remember when Niedermayer bobbled the puck and then Luongo made a save and then a minute later Miller didn't make a save?

Old
10-05-2011, 01:02 PM
Corb

The management, constantly referring to Lou as "the best goalie in the world" for the first few years he was here certainly didn't help. Fair or unfair, by doing this the management helped grow his label as 'over rated'.

You'll notice they've stopped labelling him that way. Now, the mantra seems to be that he is "a top goalie in the league".

Old
10-05-2011, 01:08 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
In what context they were picking Miller over Luongo? Did they say he was a better goalie or did they think he'd win the Vezina? (I didn't see the show)I can see if it were about having better numbers that Miller might be chosen this year because Buffalo could have a very strong year, while a lot of people think the Canucks will struggle out of the gate.
In goalie rankings. People consistently have the likes of Ryan Miller, Cam Ward, and even Carey Price ahead of Luongo. But based on what rationale?

I did a poll a couple months ago where I put Luongo's stats against Vokoun, Miller and Ward. I didn't use the goalie names, but labelled them Goalie A, B, C and D. Luongo won that poll hands down. But as soon as people see it's Luongo they automatically crap on him.

The undeserved hate towards Luongo is a joke

Old
10-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Gloob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Well maybe Lou pulls a Samuelson and just tells TSN to go fug themselves...and proceeds to win it all.

Of course, they still wouldn't give Lou any credit. He'd have to be wearing the Maple Leaf or Habitant sweater to get any real respect.
Um, respectfully, as a leafs fan.... we pretty much hang every player we have out to dry. We're terrible fans.

Closed Thread