HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Biggest threat in the west

Old
10-04-2011, 11:55 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 604Canucks View Post
I'd say Kings, I want to see how the Sharks do without Heatley. It all comes down to which team has best chemistry, Sharks or Kings.
They'll be fine without Heatley.

They proved it time and time again last season.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:44 AM
Sedinery2011

Bettman's referees

Sedinery2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:50 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

The biggest threat to US? is the Hawks biggest in the West? Canucks/Sharks.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:50 AM
BoHorvatFan

Kings, Sharks, Wings. I think the Sharks will be a much better team without that useless joke Heatly and with a much better defense that won't let the Sedins play keep away without touching them.

Who knows how we would've done against a healthy Detroit team.

LA is physical and now much deeper. We'd have trouble with them in a series because they are going to be a nasty, physical team to play against.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:52 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

1. Sharks
2. Hawks
3. Kings
4. Wings

5-15. who cares

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 01:13 AM
keslehr*

SJ for sure

keslehr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 01:17 AM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
The Hawks are going to be mediocre this year. I don't know why so many people are still concerned about them. Alex Burrows buried whatever voodoo **** they had on us.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 01:19 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Last year was our year, the rest bar wings are improved and we are not and might even be worse. sharks-hawks-la-wings are all on our level

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 01:29 AM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Last year was our year, the rest bar wings are improved and we are not and might even be worse. sharks-hawks-la-wings are all on our level
False.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 01:36 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
The Hawks are going to be mediocre this year. I don't know why so many people are still concerned about them. Alex Burrows buried whatever voodoo **** they had on us.
I'm not convinced of that just yet. I believe in the "hangover effect" and I believe thats why they got off to such a slow start. The wild card in all of this of course is whether or not Crawford can continue from where he left off and avoid the sophomore voodoo ****.

Old
10-05-2011, 01:43 AM
thecupismine

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Making roster moves does not mean automatic improvement. As of right now, each deal is being viewed with the optimum result in mind and that players on each team will either stay at the same level or improve on last year's production. If Chicago/LA are on our level (regular season wise), they'd have to combine Vancouver's expected loss in points with their own to cover ~20 points. I don't know about you, but that seems to be a hell of a big jump to make. The above two teams haven't coped too well when key members of the roster were injured (Kopitar, Bolland, etc.) where as Vancouver has shown the ability (outside of the finals, where things got a little bit crazy) to overcome injuries.

If we're talking about a playoff series, than yeah, maybe some of those teams would have a shot at taking down the Canucks. Chicago is the only top team (I'm not going to count Anaheim as that team is completely different than their cup winning team) so far that has taken out Vancouver in the West, but at the same time Vancouver has beaten them before as well. Any of that Chelsea Dagger, mental edge stuff that the Hawks have over the Canucks should be gone at this point considering they a) did win the series and b) were mentally tough enough to get to the finals. I don't think the Kings have the emotional maturity though at this point (looking at Doughty here) to be able to deal with a team like Vancouver. Maybe that changes this year, but I personally wouldn't put much money on it YET. The season after this one though is anyone's guess. Detroit is an X-factor, as Vancouver hasn't beaten them in a series yet but this edition of the Wings hasn't beaten the Canucks either. San Jose is tough, but I don't get how getting an offensive defenseman in Burns is suddenly going to help the Sharks shut down the Sedins. What could help the Sharks take out the Canucks would be getting healthy; we'll see where that one goes as well.

thecupismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 01:54 AM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
I'm not convinced of that just yet. I believe in the "hangover effect" and I believe thats why they got off to such a slow start. The wild card in all of this of course is whether or not Crawford can continue from where he left off and avoid the sophomore voodoo ****.
Not to mention the fact that they (along with the Canucks and Detroit) lost a very solid PMDs.

deckercky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:43 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

The travel.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:10 AM
David71

kings/sharks/hawks.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:16 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Detroit is the best team, but we match up better against them than the Sharks and Chicago. I would say that the Sharks are the toughest (in both senses of the word) opponent for us in the West.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Ea sports has the pens over hawks in the final I believe. Hawks must bs the team to beat.

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:02 AM
keslerburrows

SJ followed closely by LA with Chicago somewhat in the conversation. The canucks and those 3 teams will be the teams with home ice going into the playoffs.

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Reign Nateo

1. LA Kings - Adding a guy like Mike Richards that should be motivated could make a huge difference. He'll be especially motivated to face Kesler and the Canucks. Probably our biggest threat I would say. Gagne helps too. If things go as planned, they'll be very dangerous. They define themselves by beating us. They'll be hungry and ready every time.

2. San Jose - Still not a lot of depth up front after the top 2 lines and I'm not sure Brent Burns was the answer to their problems on defence, but still a very solid team that matches up against us well.

3. Detroit - One more chance with Lidstrom. Not exactly the same team they were, and not nearly as scary to play, Canucks match-up well, but still the Red Wings.

4. Chicago - They hate us and will be motivated, but I just can't see bringing in guys like Brunette, Olesz and Frolik as upgrading your team. They're depending too much on Leddy on the back-end which is a mistake, and just aren't as deep as they have been.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:56 AM
silvercanuck

San Jose scares me. A big reason why San Jose did not compete with us in the playoffs was because three of their top forwards were hampered by injuries. If they were healthy in the playoffs I think the conference series goes 7 games and the winner is a toss up. I think their powerplay and offense will be unstoppable this year.

Detroit has to be on a downward trend. I think we finally saw a crack in Lidstrom's game last year and that is not good news because he is so important to that team. They will still contend for the top three spots in the conference but I see them running out of gas. I think they will need luck to go far in the playoffs. The days of being the league's powerhouse are over.

LA is obviously better. They are a young team with depth at every position. It may take them a little while to gel with all the new additions but I think this is probably the deepest core that LA has ever had. I think they are in the 4 or 5 spot and may pull an upset in the playoffs.

Chicago seems overrated to me but they seem to pull it together because they have that recent history of winning. I think they will finish 4th or 5th in the conference and will always be a team that plays well against us.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:00 PM
i2andom81

Avs

i2andom81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
1. Sharks
2. Hawks
3. Kings
4. Wings

5-15. who cares
I no particular order, those are the four for me. The Blackhawks aren't even close to the team they were when they won the Cup, but they still have two great defenders and two amazing scoring lines. If Crawford can keep playing in net the way he did in the opening round, they'll be set there, too.

The Wings are always good at replenishing themselves, but the loss of Rafalski is going to be tough to overcome. The Sharks upgraded their D with the addition of Brent Burns, and they still have enough weapons up front to be dangerous.

I think the biggest threat could actually be the Kings. They've done a lot to improve, but I've said it before that I don't think they'll be a genuine threat with Jonathan Quick minding their twine.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flik View Post
The Sharks. And if they don't represent the West in the SCF this year, Wilson needs to be let go.

Too much talent, too much time at the top, too little success and too many flame outs.

I am not sold on Chicago yet, but they could find another gear, I just don't know if they have the horses.

LA is full of talent but I have zero faith in their ability to put it all together.
Took the words out of my mouth. I fear LA severely if they got any momentum but not until then.

Otherwise it's San Jose.

I wouldn't mind to face Chicago in the play-offs again to once again take them out.

Detroit is always a threat but another year aged isn't going to help them.

Christina Woloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Well we've collectively decided who the top 5 teams in the West are. Thats going to be one hell of a dog fight for those last three playoff spots.

Old
10-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I no particular order, those are the four for me. The Blackhawks aren't even close to the team they were when they won the Cup, but they still have two great defenders and two amazing scoring lines. If Crawford can keep playing in net the way he did in the opening round, they'll be set there, too.

The Wings are always good at replenishing themselves, but the loss of Rafalski is going to be tough to overcome. The Sharks upgraded their D with the addition of Brent Burns, and they still have enough weapons up front to be dangerous.

I think the biggest threat could actually be the Kings. They've done a lot to improve, but I've said it before that I don't think they'll be a genuine threat with Jonathan Quick minding their twine.
Yes they do. But the Canucks beat them last year in Special teams and more importantly in the 3rd and 4th line battles. pavelski and Couture were huge in the 1st 2 rounds for them, and those 2 were completely shut down for the most part IIRC.

They will not get past one of Chicago, Kings, Wings or Canucks because their bottom 6 fwd group is completely not good enough.

Vancouver did the right thing. Barring health Vancouver's Bottom 6 will win them alot of games forcing teams to spread out the minutes.

To me Injuries and Defensive Depth are an issue for the Canucks. Who comes in when 3 D men go down? Because it is going to happen.

Last edited by Biggest Canuck Fan: 10-05-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:38 PM
hackey
Oh Did I Offend You

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
Arrogantly I'd say ourselves.
Not arrogant at all..
Unless you're calling the dude who wears Number 1 arrogant

hackey is offline   Reply With Quote