HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Biggest threat in the west

Old
10-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Gloob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flik View Post
The Sharks. And if they don't represent the West in the SCF this year, Wilson needs to be let go.
Wilson?

[Edit] I assume you mean Ron "Can't groom talent" Wilson. Don't worry he's already moved on and wrecked another team :S

Last edited by Gloob: 10-05-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Gloob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:56 PM
crazycanuck

The Sharks are the deepest and most well rounded team IMO, I really like what they did this offseason.

The Hawks have a strong team and will be strong. Still not quite as deep as they used to be.

The Wings still have Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg, and will be strong. Getting older though.

The Kings have added some nice pieces and will challenge the Sharks. Still young and growing though.

crazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Passthedonuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloob View Post
Wilson?

[Edit] I assume you mean Ron "Can't groom talent" Wilson. Don't worry he's already moved on and wrecked another team :S
No, I think he was referring to Doug Wilson, you know, their General Manager.

Passthedonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post

4. Chicago - They hate us and will be motivated, but I just can't see bringing in guys like Brunette, Olesz and Frolik as upgrading your team. They're depending too much on Leddy on the back-end which is a mistake, and just aren't as deep as they have been.
Was reading this thread and just needed to comment on this

Frolik was one of Hawks best players vs Nucks in playoffs last year and is still young ,, So I think it is unfair to group him with someone like Olesz who as of now has proven nothing

And Brunette I am not sold on as major upgrade but he is better then Troy Brouwer IMO and from what I have heard he does well vs Nucks

As for your guys thread as an outside observer even though I believe the Hawks would take out Nucks the team in West that is shaping up to be serious force this year is the Sharks IMO

Adding Burns/Havlat + Vet core leaders + Couture other young players to me this is them going all in this year

Jumbo Joe/Marleau , etc dont have many years left IMO to be major players for Sharks and the Sharks have alot of pressure on them given how close they have come the last 2 years

So I expect the Sharks to be biggest threat to Hawks/Canucks/Wings cup hopes

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Was reading this thread and just needed to comment on this

Frolik was one of Hawks best players vs Nucks in playoffs last year and is still young ,, So I think it is unfair to group him with someone like Olesz who as of now has proven nothing

And Brunette I am not sold on as major upgrade but he is better then Troy Brouwer IMO and from what I have heard he does well vs Nucks

As for your guys thread as an outside observer even though I believe the Hawks would take out Nucks the team in West that is shaping up to be serious force this year is the Sharks IMO

Adding Burns/Havlat + Vet core leaders + Couture other young players to me this is them going all in this year

Jumbo Joe/Marleau , etc dont have many years left IMO to be major players for Sharks and the Sharks have alot of pressure on them given how close they have come the last 2 years

So I expect the Sharks to be biggest threat to Hawks/Canucks/Wings cup hopes
While the Hawks are a top 5 team, I am not convinced that they are a more complete team than last year. People can say "took Canucks to game 7" all they want, but the truth of the matter is if not for an other worldy performance in both games 6 and 7 by Crawford, that series was over, and if the Canucks took games 4 and 5 seriously, maybe sooner.

Sorry but it wasn't like the Hawks were some amazing team... they got timely goals, at good times, and received just unreal tending from Crawford.

It is hard to repeat that type of performace.

Now outside of this, the comments that bug me the most is alot of people saying they aren't convinced of the canucks in the playoffs after a run to the Final, yet the Sharks who have done nothing really playoff wise, added a D man, but lost a 3rd line really are suddently the Best team in the West?!?! The logic just escapes me.

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:21 PM
LeftCoast

Calgary.

No seriously, probably the Sharks.

I think the Kings, Hawkes and Wings will compete, but I expect the Sharks to win the West. The Canucks are going to start slow due to some key injuries, but don't face any real challenger in the NW division.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:25 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
I would say the threat is any one of the Sharks, Kings or Hawks.

I personally see the playoff standings ending up like this:

1. Vancouver
2. Chicago
3. LA
4. San Jose
5. Detroit
6. Anaheim
7. Nashville
8. St. Louis

I see Vancouver advancing to play San Jose, LA and Chicago advancing to play eachother. I'm confident we can get past the Sharks, and I have a hunch Chicago would get passed LA.

I forsee a Vancouver/Chicago WCF which could go either way.

10-05-2011, 03:51 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I would say the threat is any one of the Sharks, Kings or Hawks.

I personally see the playoff standings ending up like this:

1. Vancouver
2. Chicago
3. LA
4. San Jose
5. Detroit
6. Anaheim
7. Nashville
8. St. Louis

I see Vancouver advancing to play San Jose, LA and Chicago advancing to play eachother. I'm confident we can get past the Sharks, and I have a hunch Chicago would get passed LA.

I forsee a Vancouver/Chicago WCF which could go either way.
I saw it this way as well, but I think the Wings would be able to get by the Sharks... they just are the sharks... failure at every turn. This is their year!!

I actually like the Canucks being underdogs and not expected to make it past the 2nd round, some calling the team a first round upset waiting to happen. I like it!

I mean really... don't you think everyone is underestimating this team? It's not like they are the Sharks and have never gotten to the SCF, or one more than 1 game in the WCF?!?

Top 5 are set certainly IMO barring injuries.

Old
10-05-2011, 03:58 PM
NuxFan09

I agree with Blackhawkswincup that Frolik is in fact an upgrade for the Blackhawks. He's a 2006 1st round draft pick, a young talent with lot's of potential to be a solid, 60-70 point top 6 forward. Grabner was greatly dismissed but we all know what happened after that. Now he has a bright future with the Islanders. I see the same thing happening for Frolik after being let go by the Panthers and getting a new chance with a talented team like the Blackhawks.

Anyway, my thought is that the Sharks will be the team to beat in the West. They've got the offense, albeit a shoddy bottom 6, they definitely have the defense, and Niemi proved last year he didn't just benefit from the great Chicago defense a couple seasons ago. They've got it all and they'll be a challenge to play for every team.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
I agree with Blackhawkswincup that Frolik is in fact an upgrade for the Blackhawks. He's a 2006 1st round draft pick, a young talent with lot's of potential to be a solid, 60-70 point top 6 forward. Grabner was greatly dismissed but we all know what happened after that. Now he has a bright future with the Islanders. I see the same thing
happening for Frolik after being let go by the Panthers and getting a
new chance with a talented team like the Blackhawks.

Anyway, my thought is that the
Sharks will be the team to beat in the West. They've got the offense, albeit a shoddy bottom 6, they definitely have the defense, and Niemi proved last year he didn't
just benefit from the great Chicago defense a couple seasons ago.
They've got it all and they'll be a challenge to play for every team.
I agree with mostly Everything you said except for the niemi part. He was god awful for huge chunks of the playoffs. The Canucks exposed him while he was with the Blackhawks and last year with the sharks. Watch the hawks flyers finals again.. He was not much better then Boucher . Ventilated at times. It's not the defense of the hawks he benefited from.. It was the offense.

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:44 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
I saw it this way as well, but I think the Wings would be able to get by the Sharks... they just are the sharks... failure at every turn. This is their year!!

I actually like the Canucks being underdogs and not expected to make it past the 2nd round, some calling the team a first round upset waiting to happen. I like it!

I mean really... don't you think everyone is underestimating this team? It's not like they are the Sharks and have never gotten to the SCF, or one more than 1 game in the WCF?!?

Top 5 are set certainly IMO barring injuries.
I agree. I really don't see us being upset in the first round though, barring injuries of course. The post-Cup run hangover is what we experience at the beginning of the season, not at the end. We may stumble out of the gate, but once we get to the playoffs we'll be as hungry as ever after coming so close last season.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

San Jose, without a second thought. Only a few teams want to make the finals more than the Sharks and their window is closing. I believe it will be Vancouver/San Jose in the finals, which will be one of the best series in years. Both teams want to make the Cup finals for different reasons and would be determined like never before: We want to redeem ourselves, while they want to finally taste what it's like to play for the Stanley Cup.

I actually see the Hawks as less of a threat going forward. We finally "slayed the dragon" so to speak, thus I feel we have the confidence to do so again.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
While the Hawks are a top 5 team, I am not convinced that they are a more complete team than last year. People can say "took Canucks to game 7" all they want, but the truth of the matter is if not for an other worldy performance in both games 6 and 7 by Crawford, that series was over, and if the Canucks took games 4 and 5 seriously, maybe sooner..
On flip side I could argue if Dave Bolland plays games 1-3 Hawks probably wrap up the series in 6 games

Sedins performance dropped once the "Rat" returned to ice and Hawks offense came to life with Rat in games 4-6

Either way I expect the West to come down to Nucks , Hawks , Wings , Sharks

Not sold on Kings yet ,, Dont like Murray as coach as I feel he holds there offensive players back from achieving there peak potential

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Bonham

Quote:
On flip side I could argue if Dave Bolland plays games 1-3 Hawks probably wrap up the series in 6 games

Sedins performance dropped once the "Rat" returned to ice and Hawks offense came to life with Rat in games 4-6

Not sold on Kings yet ,, Dont like Murray as coach as I feel he holds there offensive players back from achieving there peak potential
Impossible to say,

Same could be said for Manny Malhotra -- the Canuck's best PK'er, faceoff man, and rightful Selke candidate.

Also doesn't change the fact that the Blackhawks would have missed the playoffs altogether if it wasn't for an epic third period choke job by the Stars.

But not to get too far off topic... I think the Sharks have just as good a chance as any to take the West. The addition of Burns was huge for their D-core, and Havlat should be an upgrade over Heatley (health depending) in the playoffs.

Bonham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:

I'm sold on Kings more than the Sharks. I just have no faith in San Jose. No matter the changes, no matter the goal tending, they just have never been able to get it done.

Shored up the D, but destroyed the bottom 6.'

Kings are solid throughout the lineup all 4 lines, and if not for massive depletion in injuries very well could've taken out the Sharks. Remember the Sharks win 2 OT games in that series. A healthy kings team makes a huge difference.

Health will determine who wins a series and the cup.

Old
10-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

San Jose, in my opinion, has one of the worst starting goaltenders in the league in Antti Niemi. Try as they might, the likes of Dan Boyle and Brent Burns simply are not the 2010 Blackhawks' D Corps. The Kings aren't much better off with Jonathan Quick, IMO, but I think these are each of the teams' respective weaknesses. The Wings are alright with Jimmy Howard, and if Crawford is able to build on his playoffs, then the Hawks will have the best goaltender of the bunch.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 06:12 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
San Jose, in my opinion, has one of the worst starting goaltenders in the league in Antti Niemi. Try as they might, the likes of Dan Boyle and Brent Burns simply are not the 2010 Blackhawks' D Corps. The Kings aren't much better off with Jonathan Quick, IMO, but I think these are each of the teams' respective weaknesses. The Wings are alright with Jimmy Howard, and if Crawford is able to build on his playoffs, then the Hawks will have the best goaltender of the bunch.
Agree with the goaltending. We played against Crawford, Rinne, and Thomas all of who were lights out. Niiemi was by far the weakest of the bunch. I think Quick is a notch above him.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 06:12 PM
CanuckLuck

I keep hearing that we are a worse team this year than last year.

What a lot of people are forgetting is that we are a better team to start the season this year than when we started the season last year. Gillis will make the proper acquisitions throughout the season and at the trade deadline to once again put Vancouver ahead of the pack.

I don't think we'll finish 1st in the West this year. I do believe the team will struggle out of the gate due to the long playoff run. I think we all just want the playoffs to start already...

CanuckLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 06:13 PM
serge2k

Biggest threat to the canucks? Choking.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 06:16 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Agree with the goaltending. We played against Crawford, Rinne, and Thomas all of who were lights out. Niiemi was by far the weakest of the bunch. I think Quick is a notch above him.
Quick is hugely erratic when it counts. Serviceable goaltender, but also capable of being lit up like a Christmas tree. He had some good games and some really ugly ones against both Vancouver in 2010 and San Jose in 2011. I just don't see him as being consistent enough for Chicago--I do rank him as better than Niemi, however.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Hammer Time

4. Detroit's still going to be a challenging team, they aren't the '08 Wings anymore. With Rafalski gone and Lidstrom aging, the defence will be much more porous ... and I don't see Jimmy Howard stealing many games.

3. L.A. has improved a lot, and they now have 2 great two-way centres. Doughty will be a stud on D. But then again, they don't have much playoff experience yet, and I'm hesitant to call them Cup contenders at this point.

2. San Jose's definitely going to be very desperate, and their window of opportunity is closing soon. Going to be tough to put them away for sure. However, we had no problem with them last year, and the Sedins matched up really well against the Sharks D.

1. Chicago - at least we finally beat them, but still ... they've consistently had one of the highest-scoring offences in the league for the last few years, and Bolland always seems to find ways to burn the Canucks. I expect Keith to have rebound from his off-year, so if he's on his game, and Crawford plays like he did last year, they'll be the biggest obstacle to us getting back to the finals.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Didn't work please delete

Old
10-05-2011, 07:59 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowsIsBeast View Post
4. Detroit's still going to be a challenging team, they aren't the '08 Wings anymore. With Rafalski gone and Lidstrom aging, the defence will be much more porous ... and I don't see Jimmy Howard stealing many games.

3. L.A. has improved a lot, and they now have 2 great two-way centres. Doughty will be a stud on D. But then again, they don't have much playoff experience yet, and I'm hesitant to call them Cup contenders at this point.

2. San Jose's definitely going to be very desperate, and their window of opportunity is closing soon. Going to be tough to put them away for sure. However, we had no problem with them last year, and the Sedins matched up really well against the Sharks D.

1. Chicago - at least we finally beat them, but still ... they've consistently had one of the highest-scoring offences in the league for the last few years, and Bolland always seems to find ways to burn the Canucks. I expect Keith to have rebound from his off-year, so if he's on his game, and Crawford plays like he did last year, they'll be the biggest obstacle to us getting back to the finals.
I essentially agree, with a couple of qualifiers: First, I've been saying that Lidstrom is aging for a few years now. He keeps turning in Norris caliber performances. And secondly, I'll wait to see about Crawford. He faces a much different level of pressure as the #1 guy this year...and Chicago's defense js suspect past Keith and Seabs.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Detroit
SJ
Chicago
LA
Everyone else
Calgary
Edmonton
I agree with this.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 08:08 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
I essentially agree, with a couple of qualifiers: First, I've been saying that Lidstrom is aging for a few years now. He keeps turning in Norris caliber performances. And secondly, I'll wait to see about Crawford. He faces a much different level of pressure as the #1 guy this year...and Chicago's defense js suspect past Keith and Seabs.
I'm still not sold on Chicago. They backed into the playoffs last year and lost Campbell this year. The one frightening thing about Chicago is how many draft picks they stock piled when they dismantled the cup team. Those players are still probably a little ways away from making a difference though.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote