HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stan Fischler Predicts Isles To Make Playoffs

Old
10-04-2011, 10:28 PM
bigdom1012

vCash: 500
Stan Fischler Predicts Isles To Make Playoffs

http://www.msg.com/blogs/stan-fischl...ayoffs-1.74077

a light in the end of our tunnel....hopefully

bigdom1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Sideshow Bob

while its nice to see someone predict us to do well - i can't take stan the maven too serioulsy. past few years he's come across to me as an out of touch relic.

Sideshow Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

He predicts us to make the playoffs every year.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 11:04 PM
KH1

Confirmed with Link: Stan Fischler remembers the time he caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. "I needed a new heel for his shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Give me five bees for a quarter," you'd say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones..."

Stan Fischler's bordering on senile, I wouldn't pay too much attention to his "predictions."

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 11:07 PM
Hipietro

If I recall correctly, Stan Fischler also said that 10 seconds should be added to a powerplay if the PK unit ices the puck.

But I love the optimism, and I hope he's right.

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 11:22 PM
IslesETF

Wow does that website have an editor? Berth? (birth)....really?

IslesETF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 11:41 PM
StrongIslanders90

I just cant beleive hes like 80 years old and still going.....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 11:43 PM
PJGooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesETF View Post
"Berth" is correct.

PJGooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:23 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJGooch View Post
"Berth" is correct.
Hah. Owned!

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:25 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Well he's gotta be positive towards the team we all know what happened with the Jaffe.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:27 AM
bigdom1012

i was just looking for another reason to be optimistic about this season...

bigdom1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:28 AM
IslesETF

wow two points for stan and the crew. The blind leading the blind......

Old
10-05-2011, 03:34 AM
luki here

seems like everything is rosy on the island.

Seriously: an absolute waste of time to read that article. Mindless, euphoric and spineless: just telling the fans what they want to hear and adding nothing new.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:55 AM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Quote:
wow two points for stan and the crew. The blind leading the blind......
I like how you got owned and blatantly denied it.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 07:20 AM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnpike Terrors View Post
Well he's gotta be positive towards the team we all know what happened with the Jaffe.
I don't think the Maven would be banned by Garth no matter what he said. I loved Jaffe and think Stan's a bit crazy, but he's been covering hockey before they had TV and is clearly in a different category than Jaffe - you can't ban an institution.

That aside, I maintain that there are more and more articles like this singing the Isles' praise and that's a good thing and an important milestone in the rebuild.

We are not doormats anymore, we are being perceived as "up-and-coming" and "promising young team", two phrases that haven't been associated with the Isles in a long, long time.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 07:23 AM
stingo

vCash: 50
A little optimism never hurt anybody.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 08:13 AM
goal1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdom1012 View Post
http://www.msg.com/blogs/stan-fischl...ayoffs-1.74077

a light in the end of our tunnel....hopefully
Stan always picks the Rangers to win the cup.... this means were doomed!!

goal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 08:24 AM
IslesETF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
I like how you got owned and blatantly denied it.
I didn’t deny anything. I said two points for Stan and his crew. Meaning I was wrong. “Blind leading the blind” Meaning, I made a mistake calling out Stan.

Old
10-05-2011, 09:11 AM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH1 View Post
Confirmed with Link: Stan Fischler remembers the time he caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. "I needed a new heel for his shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Give me five bees for a quarter," you'd say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones..."

Stan Fischler's bordering on senile, I wouldn't pay too much attention to his "predictions."
Grandpa Simpson was banned by HF....not sure you're allowed to write this without serious infractions.

Stan's entertaining but he's far less than even Don Cherry is nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
I don't think the Maven would be banned by Garth no matter what he said. I loved Jaffe and think Stan's a bit crazy, but he's been covering hockey before they had TV and is clearly in a different category than Jaffe - you can't ban an institution.

That aside, I maintain that there are more and more articles like this singing the Isles' praise and that's a good thing and an important milestone in the rebuild.

We are not doormats anymore, we are being perceived as "up-and-coming" and "promising young team", two phrases that haven't been associated with the Isles in a long, long time.

Well said. There are more of these types of articles starting to show up...and maybe the NYI won't be doormats one day. But this season might be another lottery season.

I think there are a lot of players on the rise, a lot to be excited about, but I don't think we're quite there yet.
Maybe a lot will go right and we can make 8th place, certainly there are a lot of players with untapped upside - but there's a long way down as well.

now drop the puck.

redbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:44 PM
twentytwo

Quote:

I just did the best impression of Stan Fischler in my head while reading what you wrote. Read like a transcript of out takes of "5 for Fischler".

twentytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 01:35 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

I dont do predictions — as evidenced by my own write up and I am no maven by any means — BUT, I feel this has many accurate assessments.

I don't want to put a number on it as I said, but the Isles will be in the thick of it to the end.

The BIG IF is not DiPietro — it is HEALTH. They have to stay healthy and to a man, play to their potential to have a shot at a playoff spot.

http://hockeyindependent.com/blog/hyedray/39046/

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 01:54 PM
Original Rob

Quote:

Stan also predicted "big years" from John Vanbiesbrouck and Bill Muckalt for the Isles back in 99 or '00, whenever those guys were there. So, yea.

Original Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:12 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Now that was funny KH, can totally picture him saying that!

He always aggrandizes anything related to NJ/lower NY hockey. I seriously think he's predicted the Isles to make the PO's 8 of the last 10 seasons.

Although I do agree that there is a different vibe and buzz around this team, generated, in part, by the media. As JKP said, we are starting to read more "team on the rise, up-and-comer" pieces.

We are through the toughest stages of the rebuild, can look in the rearview mirror at lottery picks, and see signs of the 9-11 spot on the horizon.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Fan101

Stan's Playoff Predicition

Stan is predicting a big NYI-NYR playoff showdown to take place in Nassau Coliseum and Madison Squaregarden.

Fan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:06 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan101 View Post
Stan is predicting a big NYI-NYR playoff showdown to take place in Nassau Coliseum and Madison Squaregarden.
That would be absolutely chaotic and I would die for this series. Let's hope we are the expected winners in such a series, because the scene at the Coliseum would be .. ummmmm....... well, you'd probably need to call in the National Guard.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote