HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

ANA-TOR Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
08-25-2004, 04:39 PM
BlueForever

vCash: 500
ANA-TOR Proposal

Toronto needs a more durable 2-way center then Joe Niewendkye to fit in behind Sundin. If anyone can absorb a little more salary it is the Leafs. The other thing that they need is a big, rough, stay at home defenseman as well. So I propose the following:

Nolan at 7 million (last year of contract)
Kaberle at 3 million (2 year contract)
Pilar at 1 million (1 year contract)

for

Federov at 8.5 million (3 years left on contract)
Carney at 3 million (last year on contract)

Anahiem sheds some salary for now and the future. They still get younger on D not to mention Kaberle is a decent D. Toronto gets what it needs.

Toronto's lineup will look as follows:

Roberts-Sundin-Stajan
Tucker-Federov-Mogilny
Ponikarovski-Niewendyke-Antropov
Domi-Kilger-Wilm

Leetch-McCabe
Carney-Coliacovo
Klee-Berg

Belfour
Tellqvist

I'm interested in knowing everyone's thought's....thanks.

Old
08-25-2004, 04:49 PM
TML

Anaheim only sheds 500K out of that deal...

Old
08-25-2004, 04:50 PM
Thomas

Send a message via MSN to Thomas
Fedorov is scheduled to make $6,000,000 per season for another three seasons I believe, so I dont see how this helps them reduce payroll, they would be adding some in this case. And I'm not so sure the value is there to make it worth Anaheim's while, Carney being a big part of their blueline.

Old
08-25-2004, 04:50 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML
Anaheim only sheds 500K out of that deal...

They also shed their best forward and best defensemen.

Old
08-25-2004, 04:51 PM
pappa jan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueForever
Toronto needs a more durable 2-way center then Joe Niewendkye to fit in behind Sundin. If anyone can absorb a little more salary it is the Leafs. The other thing that they need is a big, rough, stay at home defenseman as well. So I propose the following:

for

Anahiem sheds some salary for now and the future. They still get younger on D not to mention Kaberle is a decent D. Toronto gets what it needs.

Toronto's lineup will look as follows:

Roberts-Sundin-Stajan
Tucker-Federov-Mogilny
Ponikarovski-Niewendyke-Antropov
Domi-Kilger-Wilm

Leetch-McCabe
Carney-Coliacovo
Klee-Berg

Belfour
Tellqvist

I'm interested in knowing everyone's thought's....thanks.
Don't think Anaheim want to part ways with Carney, he's their stalwart defensive defenseman and is without a doubt their most important dman, even more now when Hävelid's gone. Otherwise a good idea dealing Fedorov to Toronto, but I doubt it will happen.

Old
08-25-2004, 05:05 PM
pittengineer

Anaheim gets hosed in my opinion.

Old
08-25-2004, 05:11 PM
Salgari

Send a message via MSN to Salgari
Done!

Old
08-25-2004, 05:20 PM
MS

Honestly, I think Anaheim does pretty well here.

Fedorov actually has 4 years left on his 5-year, $40 million contract ... Anaheim is stuck paying him a ton of money until he's almost 39. Just on value alone this contract will be awful for the Ducks in its last 2 or 3 years, and if a hard cap ends up in place it will be a total dead weight.

Carney is an UFA after the season.

Next year Anaheim would take a hit ... the salary the Ducks would pay out wouldn't change much next season, and the players they get wouldn't be as good as the ones they give up. But the year after when Nolan leaves they would have all kinds of room on their payroll that they otherwise wouldn't have if they were paying an aging Fedorov. And instead of losing Carney for nothing, they have the much younger Kaberle in place on their blueline.

Dunno if the Ducks would do it, but it certainly has an upside for them.

Old
08-25-2004, 05:28 PM
The Legend
Stamkos in 2016

Why do the Leafs do this deal? Carney is fine sure. But Nolan has shown flashes of brilliance, and he's good as a great Right Winger

Old
08-25-2004, 05:39 PM
Kick Save

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS
Honestly, I think Anaheim does pretty well here.

Dunno if the Ducks would do it, but it certainly has an upside for them.
How do you figure that? If Nolan is a UFA at the end of this year, he can walk. How likely is he to stay if the Ducks are not serious playoff contenders?

Carney is the heart-and-soul of the team. Not only is he the Ducks best d-man, but he's a clubhouse leader as well. Why destroy what little chemistry the Ducks have left?

The Ducks are in serious, cost-cutting mode. Why else trade Prospal for a 2nd-round pick?

Do you have some nice young talent you'd like to throw this way? (Think Colaiacovo [sp?], Stajan [sp?], etc.)

Old
08-25-2004, 06:21 PM
bland

Fedorov can choose to opt out at the end of the year, which given the current economic landscape, looks to be unlikely. He may hold that fact over the heads of any gm's looking to acquire him.

The Ducks are much more likely to move Salei than Carney. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Anaheim resign Carney to a multi-year deal at a slightly reduced rate once the CBA is in place.

While the Ducks do need a secondary offensive defenseman, I can't see them being willing to add on Kaberle's salary unless they could move Ozolinsh as well.

Nolan's contract, even if it is only for one more year, is a deal breaker.

Pilar would be attractive, but not at the above mentioned cost.

I can't see how this deal would work for Anaheim.

Old
08-25-2004, 06:31 PM
Reilly311

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs4thecup
Why do the Leafs do this deal? Carney is fine sure. But Nolan has shown flashes of brilliance, and he's good as a great Right Winger

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Old
08-25-2004, 06:38 PM
Onion Boy

If Anaheim is desparate to cut payroll, a package of picks and prospects along with one roster player is probably what they're looking for.

Also, I imagine if they were to deal both Fedorov and Carney, they'd deal them individually to get full value for each.

Old
08-25-2004, 06:58 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueForever

for

Considering his diminishing returns and huge contract, I think the Leafs would be hard-pressed to get anything of value for Owen Nolan.

But to suggest they would get a premier player like Sergei Fedorov for Nolan is just laughable.

This isn't even close.

Old
08-25-2004, 07:10 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox
Considering his diminishing returns and huge contract, I think the Leafs would be hard-pressed to get anything of value for Owen Nolan.

But to suggest they would get a premier player like Sergei Fedorov for Nolan is just laughable.

This isn't even close.
I agree. Fedorov may be overpaid, but he's still an elite two-way center who can eat up minutes. Nolan may not be old, but he's played increasingly like a punch-drunk power forward past his prime, has injury issues, and he's not going to stay in Anaheim past his contract expiration.

Unless their need to slash payroll gets obscenely acute, instead of just pressing as it is right now, they don't consider this proposal.

Old
08-25-2004, 10:09 PM
Poikilitic

deal is done my friend. we'll throw in some draft picks if you want too.

Old
08-25-2004, 10:31 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox

This isn't even close.
Nolan has $7 million left on his contract. Fedorov has ~$30 million left on his. It isn't a case of Fedorov for Nolan, it's a case of Fedorov for Nolan plus what Anaheim could aquire for the extra $20+ million dollars. In a couple years, when Fedorov gets to be 37 or 38 and his play is going into the toilet, his contract will be a dreadful anchor for Anaheim. If they unload his contract now, they'll have a ton of cash two or three years from now to spend on 2-3 quality players instead of a 38 y/o dinosaur. This is why it would be attractive to Anaheim.

If Fedorov and Nolan both had a year left on their contracts, of course it would be ridiculous. But the fact that Fedorov will be owed such a large amount of money at such an advanced age really hurts his trade value. Doubly so if there's a cap, since his contract would represent about 1/4 of Anaheim's total payroll.

Old
08-25-2004, 11:29 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Sigh...

Old
08-25-2004, 11:56 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS
Nolan has $7 million left on his contract. Fedorov has ~$30 million left on his. It isn't a case of Fedorov for Nolan, it's a case of Fedorov for Nolan plus what Anaheim could aquire for the extra $20+ million dollars. In a couple years, when Fedorov gets to be 37 or 38 and his play is going into the toilet, his contract will be a dreadful anchor for Anaheim. If they unload his contract now, they'll have a ton of cash two or three years from now to spend on 2-3 quality players instead of a 38 y/o dinosaur. This is why it would be attractive to Anaheim.

If Fedorov and Nolan both had a year left on their contracts, of course it would be ridiculous. But the fact that Fedorov will be owed such a large amount of money at such an advanced age really hurts his trade value. Doubly so if there's a cap, since his contract would represent about 1/4 of Anaheim's total payroll.

Fedorov can walk if he wants. If he has poor year he'll take the cash and there is nothing the Ducks can do about it. If he has a great year he can walk and go get the same salary somewhere else better. Its a one year salary if he's good, and burden if he's bad. Win-win for him, not so win-win for the Ducks.

Nolan's salary is at least dumpable after one year. Not that I see him fitting in on the Ducks at all. They would be better of getting TO to eat a million or two, then eat a million or two themselves then on sell him at $3-4m (they would get a decent return at that).

Carney is the biggest blow, impending UFA might see him traded at the deadline anyway. He'd probably fetch a 1st and prospect or 2nd and a good prospect.

Ducks get two long term players on affordable contracts. I'd want a a bit more than Pilar even if the Leafs eat salary. Leafs win out big, but maybe only for a year, so maybe a 1st instead of Pilar.

Old
08-26-2004, 03:11 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2
Fedorov can walk if he wants. If he has poor year he'll take the cash and there is nothing the Ducks can do about it. If he has a great year he can walk and go get the same salary somewhere else better.
In the post CBA crisis era no team is going to give Feds 8 million a year whether he has a point a game year or not!...thus if money is all that matters then he is going to be a Duck for four more years.

Old
08-26-2004, 03:15 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2

Carney is the biggest blow, impending UFA might see him traded at the deadline anyway. He'd probably fetch a 1st and prospect or 2nd and a good prospect.
Carney will be a UFA July 2006 not 2005. (2 yr team option picked up this summer)

Old
08-26-2004, 04:22 AM
MastahPlaya

erat for sundin/nolan/fedorov/giguere..
i would neva do taht erat worth wayy moree

Old
08-26-2004, 07:07 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
What, do you want the Ducks to throw in Giggy as well?

Old
08-26-2004, 07:45 AM
Twist and Shout

No, thanks.

Next....

Old
08-26-2004, 09:40 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
What, do you want the Ducks to throw in Giggy as well?

Huh?

Closed Thread