HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Center Ice - Question

Old
09-28-2011, 06:33 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140
Center Ice - Question

Hi guys. I'm thinking of getting NHL Center Ice for the first time but I'm worried about black-outs.

I live near Saratoga Springs, NY. In this area, MSG is weird. What MSG does is if Sabres and Rangers play on the same night, they show the Sabres. Otherwise, they show the Rangers. So I'm not sure if my area is considered inside the Rangers TV territory or not?

Here is why I ask:
I read that Center Ice blacks out any games of the team shown locally. Since I dont have MSG right now, I'm afraid that if I get Center Ice, Center Ice will black out the Rangers every time the Rangers are shown on MSG? Is that true? Or would Center Ice still show the broadcast of the opponent team(if say Rangers play Philly, they will show the Philly broadcast only?)?

If anyone knows how all this works, I'd really appreciate some answers! If you live around my area too, that would be helpful to know what you experience if you have Center Ice.

Thanks a lot!

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 09:18 PM
Evgeny Oliker

no one knows how Center Ice works in this situation?

thanks

Old
09-29-2011, 09:23 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
I honestly don't know if you'd be blacked out or not.

I do know that they never black out just the home or away feed--if one of them is blacked out, both of them will be blacked out.

A lot of people love http://www.hockeystreams.com/. No blackouts on that.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 09:28 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Gamecenter is blacked out. I had it for a few days and the games were blacked out. Not sure if CI is as well, but I imagine it would be. Devils, Isles, Rangers and Sabres all blacked out in, well, anywhere you can get MSG.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 09:43 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

youll be blacked out

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 07:15 AM
ZacUSNYR

I actually have a similar question, i'm in the same area as you and have DirecTV. I'm guessing we're going to have about ~61 games aired here with the remaining blacked out (unless they improve it this year from last year).

DirecTV can't even give me an answer. There are blackout restrictions on center ice. It's possible that out of the 21 games that are going to be blacked out for us on MSG that'll you'll be able to pick it up on center ice but no promises on which ones... etc..

ZacUSNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 07:17 AM
ZacUSNYR

Every Rangers game, home/away, will be blacked out on Gamecenter in this area.

It's pretty crappy that we're in a "Buffalo Market, but also Rangers, Devils, and Islanders."

It makes no sense, Rangers are blacked out, so i'll just watch the Sabres? Hell no.

Old
09-30-2011, 08:45 AM
SML

I'm in the same area. I didn't get center ice last year, but had gotten it pretty much every year previously. Time Warner cable gets authorization to show a specific number of Ranger broadcasts per season. Two years ago it was 50. Leaving 32 games you would not see making CI a no brainer. Most times I would have to watch the opponent feed. The only time I got left in the dark ws when the game was shown on an alternate, non national network, like NHL network. No game then. Even if you miss a few its worth it. By the time you go to a sports bar and have a few beers and a burger, you're into 25 or 30 buck. You do that 5 times in a year and you've broken even. You should call TW cable 8695500 and ask them how many Rangers games they will be showing this year on MSG. The other trick is that a lot of nights, standard MSG would show Buffalo, but MSGHD would show the Rangers. I've been out of the area a lot for work last year, but I have all intention of ordering it as soon as I get around to it.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 08:52 AM
mti79

I've had center ice for 2 years now, this will be year 3. The first year I lived in Buffalo, NY and dealt with the MSG/Sabres dilemma. Sometimes the Sabres would be on MSG and the Rangers would be on MSGHD but not always. I bought CI and never missed a game. Last year, I moved to Wethersfield, CT (Just south of Hartford) and apparently MSG is available on some cable systems but not mine (Cox). Again, with CI, I never missed a game.

Not sure if any of that helps, but I hope it does.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:01 AM
mti79

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
I'm in the same area. I didn't get center ice last year, but had gotten it pretty much every year previously. Time Warner cable gets authorization to show a specific number of Ranger broadcasts per season. Two years ago it was 50. Leaving 32 games you would not see making CI a no brainer. Most times I would have to watch the opponent feed. The only time I got left in the dark ws when the game was shown on an alternate, non national network, like NHL network. No game then. Even if you miss a few its worth it. By the time you go to a sports bar and have a few beers and a burger, you're into 25 or 30 buck. You do that 5 times in a year and you've broken even. You should call TW cable 8695500 and ask them how many Rangers games they will be showing this year on MSG. The other trick is that a lot of nights, standard MSG would show Buffalo, but MSGHD would show the Rangers. I've been out of the area a lot for work last year, but I have all intention of ordering it as soon as I get around to it.
That happened to me once when I was in Buffalo. NYR vs MTL was the only game the Rangers played that was on the NHL Network and not MSG, CI, NBC or VS. I called Time Warner at like 4pm (7pm start) and added that sports package to my subscription and cancelled it the next day or so. The game cost me like $0.75.

Old
09-30-2011, 10:11 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Thisll be a problem cause I'm Moving to Hamburg NY outside of Buffalo. So I'm in the same hole...

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 01:44 PM
CGNY87

I had this last year (in Rochester). I did not watch the whole season, only got the package half way through the year, but I did not have any games blacked out. I saw every Rangers game (minus the ones on NHLN) in the second half of the season. Since we (upstate NY) technically in the Buff market only Buffalo games will be blacked out on Center Ice.

CGNY87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:19 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

I don't think blackouts will be an issue if MSG is your "home" region. I have Direct TV and Center Ice and when the Rangers are on the "alternate" and MSG feeds on Center Ice are blacked out, but not the MSG local (MSG+, MSG2, MSG) networks which would normally carry the game.

Ie... if you were getting the MSG feeds anyway, Center Ice shouldn't affect it one way or another. I guess it depends on what carrier you're going to use and what your local feeds currently are. If MSG isn't available in your area anyway, I can't see why it would get blacked out.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
So far I'm getting a number of very contradicting answers!

SML, Just to clarify what you are saying:
1 Where do you live if you dont mind me asking(what town)?

2. In the situation you described, the 50 Rangers games that were shown on MSG would NOT be shown on Center Ice at all correct?

3. In that same situation, the 32 Rangers games not shown on MSG would be available on the opponent feed on Center Ice?

4. Does anyone know if it matters if I have Direct Tv instead of Time Warner in terms of this weird situation? Or its all based on Center Ice rules?

Thanks a lot!

Old
09-30-2011, 09:44 PM
ZacUSNYR

Thanks guys! I'm going to get it on DirecTV.

Old
09-30-2011, 10:15 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
So far I'm getting a number of very contradicting answers!

SML, Just to clarify what you are saying:
1 Where do you live if you dont mind me asking(what town)?

2. In the situation you described, the 50 Rangers games that were shown on MSG would NOT be shown on Center Ice at all correct?

3. In that same situation, the 32 Rangers games not shown on MSG would be available on the opponent feed on Center Ice?

4. Does anyone know if it matters if I have Direct Tv instead of Time Warner in terms of this weird situation? Or its all based on Center Ice rules?

Thanks a lot!
I live on the border of Saratoga and Schenectady counties. The last time I ordered CI, IIRC there were 50 games shown on either MSG, MSG2, or MSGHD. I am pretty sure CI would have those games on their channel as well, but a lot of times it would be the road announcers, and I prefer our own. The 32 others would be on CI only, and you had to take what you could get. If it was a versus or nbc feed you have to watch that. I don't know what happens with direct tv.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:38 PM
ZacUSNYR

Seems like we have a good chunk of upstate new Yorkers here

Old
10-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Evgeny Oliker

Direct TV

Here is the answer I got from Direct TV today:

"You live in a unique area, where many teams encompass a home territory. You receive MSG
as a regional sports network (RSN) and MSG shows the NY Rangers games in your market, as
well as the NY Islanders, NJ Devils, and Buffalo Sabres games.

As these teams are your in-market teams and thus will not be available on NHL CENTER ICE.
This is because sports subscription packages, like NHL CENTER ICE, only show
out-of-market games.

Games that are not available on the MSG main channel, 634, may be available on their
alternate channels 635 (MSG Plus) 636,637,and 638 in standard definition only. Buffalo
Sabres games may air in HD on channel 638-1."

It seems that for whatever reason Direct TV does not work the same way that Time Warner does when it comes to the Rangers? I'm not sure why that would be the case.

If someone else in upstate NY has Time Warner right now and can confirm that they do show the Rangers , that would be great. I might just switch to Time Warner then.

Old
10-01-2011, 10:59 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

634 & 635 on Direct TV (Ranger games) are almost always in HD unless they have 3 games (Rangers/Isles/Devils) airing simultaneously and then one (usually NYR) is the odd man out and in SD.

That being said, if you are considering Center Ice and Direct TV, then Direct TV is without question the best option for Center Ice. Cablevision usually offers one (or two, if there's a game on NHL Network) and Direct TV can have 5 or 6.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:40 PM
PawelW007

Order the package, if the game is blacked out call them and tell them youre not paying because the only reason you got yhe package was for the rangers, they wont make you pay. I live in the Poconos and when I had MSG and Center Ice, they both worked, if the Rangers were on MSG 2 or etc. I would get those games despite them not airing on MSG....that was with DISH, once the contractual disagreements started they blacked us out on Center Ice, I switched to Direct

PawelW007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 07:10 PM
CGNY87

game is blacked out for some reason. Also its not even listed as a game on center ice. So its not even being shown out of market. Also if you order they will not let you cancel. Says so when you sign up and if you call to sign up they remind you like 8 times.

I love how here in rochester the sabres get MSG. The ranger play in MSG they should be on MSG the channel. Also Sabres have their own channel for games on TW. So they get show on MSG and on Sabre channel. BS!!!

CGNY87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I honestly don't know if you'd be blacked out or not.

I do know that they never black out just the home or away feed--if one of them is blacked out, both of them will be blacked out.

A lot of people love http://www.hockeystreams.com/. No blackouts on that.
Never heard of Hockey Streams.

That six month deal looks good.

If I see correctly, the games are in HD or only selected ones?

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:26 PM
mti79

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGNY87 View Post
game is blacked out for some reason. Also its not even listed as a game on center ice. So its not even being shown out of market. Also if you order they will not let you cancel. Says so when you sign up and if you call to sign up they remind you like 8 times.

I love how here in rochester the sabres get MSG. The ranger play in MSG they should be on MSG the channel. Also Sabres have their own channel for games on TW. So they get show on MSG and on Sabre channel. BS!!!
The rangers weren't on center ice today. It was a national broadcast on vs. Or if you live in the area, msg. I had half the game blacked out on vs, called my cable company and somehow it appearedso I saw the 3rd/ot.

Old
10-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Hockey Streams or NHL Center Ice???

I'm leaning towards Hockey Streams because, from what I see, they have HD and I can play it through my PS3.

Some opinions who know about Hockey Streams will be nice.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 09:06 PM
patnyrnyg

I think you might be in one of those "no mans land" areas. Not close enough that MSG will show every Ranger game, but too close to be considered out of market for Rangers games, thus you can't get game on Center Ice.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote