Notices

What are your PP and PK pairings.

Old
10-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

vCash: 500
What are your PP and PK pairings.

Season's almost here so I figured now that we almost know the lineups for even strength we may as well have a hand at the man advantage and man down situations.

Mine are as follows:

PP #1

Wheeler-Little-Ladd
Byfuglien-Enstrom

PP #2

Kane-Antropov-Burmistrov/Schiefele
Bogosian-Hainsey

My reasoning for playing guys on their off wings is because I like them to already be on their proper forehand for receiving passes. Much like Stamkos a right handed shot on the left is very effective. 2nd line, I put Antro in the middle because he is a strong playmaker and is a better option on the draw than Burmi. Bogosian's shot is looking much better than I have seen in a long time and Hainsey used to QB the PP quite well and is a good passer.

PK #1

Slater-Thorburn
Hainsey-Stuart

PK #2
Little-Glass/Maxwell
Enstrom-Bogosian

First PK 4some should prove very effective for us. Slater is great in the draw and Thorburn is a phenomenal PKer. Hainsey was in the top 10 for leaders in blocked shots last year and Stuart is very solid in his own end.

2nd pairing should still be effective, Little is getting better every year in the draw and is our best 2-way forward who is very strong in the defensive zone. I'd like to see Maxwell on the wing but I think it'll most likely be Glass as he is a pretty physical guy.

Toby is obvious, I put Bogo with him because I'm not comfortable having Oduya or Byfuglien on the other side, perhaps if this new found Oduya we've been seeing in the preseason is consistent maybe we can play him there. After what I saw last year I never wanted him on the PK for the rest of his time here, but hey he has looked better as of late.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Jet
Big Ben

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Season's almost here so I figured now that we almost know the lineups for even strength we may as well have a hand at the man advantage and man down situations.

Mine are as follows:

PP #1

Wheeler-Little-Ladd
Byfuglien-Enstrom

PP #2

Bogosian-Hainsey

My reasoning for playing guys on their off wings is because I like them to already be on their proper forehand for receiving passes. Much like Stamkos a right handed shot on the left is very effective. 2nd line, I put Antro in the middle because he is a strong playmaker and is a better option on the draw than Burmi. Bogosian's shot is looking much better than I have seen in a long time and Hainsey used to QB the PP quite well and is a good passer.

PK #1

Slater-Thorburn
Hainsey-Stuart

PK #2
Little-Glass/Maxwell
Enstrom-Bogosian

First PK 4some should prove very effective for us. Slater is great in the draw and Thorburn is a phenomenal PKer. Hainsey was in the top 10 for leaders in blocked shots last year and Stuart is very solid in his own end.

2nd pairing should still be effective, Little is getting better every year in the draw and is our best 2-way forward who is very strong in the defensive zone. I'd like to see Maxwell on the wing but I think it'll most likely be Glass as he is a pretty physical guy.

Toby is obvious, I put Bogo with him because I'm not comfortable having Oduya or Byfuglien on the other side, perhaps if this new found Oduya we've been seeing in the preseason is consistent maybe we can play him there. After what I saw last year I never wanted him on the PK for the rest of his time here, but hey he has looked better as of late.
Hainsey lover

I like your lines, but would keep Hainsey off of the PP. I'd rather be be fresher for PKing and helping shut down other team's top players.

I would try a forward back there.

10-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Hainsey lover

I like your lines, but would keep Hainsey off of the PP. I'd rather be be fresher for PKing and helping shut down other team's top players.

Jones lover

You could be right though, he'll be seeing a lot of PK time so perhaps a forward would be a good option.

Old
10-05-2011, 01:10 PM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 84
Quote:
Hainsey lover

Who? And that would only work if Enstrom is manning the point and not Bogosian. Bogosian isn't ready to be the lone guy. Only Enstrom and Hainsey have enough experience for that.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Who? And that would only work if Enstrom is manning the point and not Bogosian. Bogosian isn't ready to be the lone guy. Only Enstrom and Hainsey have enough experience for that.
That's the thing is we'd need a guy capable of being the QB like Toby. I'm not sure if any of our forwards have that experience.

Old
10-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Jet
Big Ben

Quote:
I'd put Buff and Bogo together, and run Toby and maybe Antro?

I expect both Byfuglien and Bogosian to improve their awareness back there with Huddy coaching them, and Antropov is gifted enough of a passer stickhandler to QB from the point.

I do like Buff and Enstrom trading bombs though. (little bombs for Toby)

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 01:25 PM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

Quote:
I'd put Buff and Bogo together, and run Toby and maybe Antro?

I expect both Byfuglien and Bogosian to improve their awareness back there with Huddy coaching them, and Antropov is gifted enough of a passer stickhandler to QB from the point.

I do like Buff and Enstrom trading bombs though. (little bombs for Toby)
I thought about Buff and Bogo as well with Toby and someone else(Antro isn't a bad choice. Has the shot). As long as Buff and Bogo don't take away too much time from Enstrom because Enstrom is your guy on the PP. He is the QB and the best guy for outlet passes and getting zone time.

Old
10-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Jet
Big Ben

Quote:
I thought about Buff and Bogo as well with Toby and someone else(Antro isn't a bad choice. Has the shot). As long as Buff and Bogo don't take away too much time from Enstrom because Enstrom is your guy on the PP. He is the QB and the best guy for outlet passes and getting zone time.
Exactly. Toby should get 75% of the PP time.

What I have seen before is a PP making a change and your stud staying out longer, so perhaps Toby and Buff come out for the first PP and then when the forwards change Buff comes off too and Antro takes his place.

Wellwood will also most likely get PP time. He is gifted with the puck and works really well from the half boards.

Old
10-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Personally I'm not the biggest fan of Buff on the point for the PP. Instead of a forward at the point, put a "defenseman" down low.

If I had my way he would be down low in front of the goalie and a combo of Toby-Bogo on the point.

Old
10-05-2011, 01:34 PM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

Quote:
Personally I'm not the biggest fan of Buff on the point for the PP. Instead of a forward at the point, put a "defenseman" down low.

If I had my way he would be down low in front of the goalie and a combo of Toby-Bogo on the point.
Can't believe I forgot about that option as well.

Old
10-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Jet
Big Ben

Quote:

That's not a bad idea either. Dustin has the size and hands for in front of the net.

Problem is, then you are back to who plays the point? As good as Buff is in front of the net, someone with bombs like that need to be at the point. If the opposition starts playing Byfuglien really tight at the point, then he could slide in front of the net.

Old
10-05-2011, 01:41 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
That's not a bad idea either. Dustin has the size and hands for in front of the net.

Problem is, then you are back to who plays the point? As good as Buff is in front of the net, someone with bombs like that need to be at the point. If the opposition starts playing Byfuglien really tight at the point, then he could slide in front of the net.
Bogo's shot has really been impressing me this year. The past few seasons it has looked worse as time went on but he seems to have dedicated himself to making it better.

I am actually looking forward to seeing him on the power play this year.

Byfuglien-Little-Ladd
Enstrom-Bogosian

Kane-Antro-Burmi/Schiefele
Oduya-Hainsey

Do It.

Old
10-05-2011, 01:44 PM
AWSAA

vCash: 541
Quote:

PK #1

Slater-Thorburn
Hainsey-Stuart

PK #2
Little-Glass/Maxwell
Enstrom-Bogosian

What the hell has Maxwell done to earn such love from you? The guy doesn't even belong in the league.... and Glass on the PK? Hell no. I think you need players who are at least a threat to score shorthanded out there. Burmistrov would probably be a good choice.

AWSAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 01:45 PM
TheLastSedin

PP
Ladd-Little-Buff
Bogo-Toby

Kane-Burmi/Scheifele-Wheels
Hainsey-Oduya/Meech/Stuart

PK

Cormier-Ladd
Bogo-Hainsey

Thor-Maxwell/Glass
Buff-Staurt/Jones

Last edited by TheLastSedin: 10-05-2011 at 02:07 PM.
TheLastSedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 01:48 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_wildstabatanything View Post
What the hell has Maxwell done to earn such love from you? The guy doesn't even belong in the league.... and Glass on the PK? Hell no. I think you need players who are at least a threat to score shorthanded out there. Burmistrov would probably be a good choice.
Why exactly do you think he doesn't belong in the league. I think if you ask most posters here they would rather have Maxwell on the team than not.

He is strong on the forecheck and defensive zone and actually can create offense like you asked for. Burmi could be an option on the PK but he's not really your penalty killing, shot blocking kind of guy.

I don't know about you but I wouldn't want one of our smallest, youngest forwards out there looking to block shots from the point.

Old
10-05-2011, 01:49 PM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_wildstabatanything View Post
1. You're wrong.

2. That's all fine and dandy, but the penalty kill is "Defense First", otherwise you're virtually useless unless you have speed like Grabner.

Old
10-05-2011, 02:02 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

I think Jones will be on the penalty kill. I'm pretty sure thats the main reason he was brought in. He played a lot of PK minutes for TB, and they seemed pleased with him. I expect him to be on the second pairing.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:09 PM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
I think Jones will be on the penalty kill. I'm pretty sure thats the main reason he was brought in. He played a lot of PK minutes for TB, and they seemed pleased with him. I expect him to be on the second pairing.
Not unless Oduya falls on his face again,, which is completely plausible unfortunately.

Old
10-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Jet
Big Ben

Quote:
Not unless Oduya falls on his face again,, which is completely plausible unfortunately.
I honestly think you are mistaken.

Management of players minutes has become more and more important. That is why a guy like Jones, who can provide reliable minutes on the 3rd D pairing and be a top PKer is important.

If your top players are doing everything and playing huge minutes all season that is a recipe for burnout/ injury.

I am willing to bet Jones will be on the top PK unit when he dresses.

Old
10-05-2011, 02:38 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
I honestly think you are mistaken.

Management of players minutes has become more and more important. That is why a guy like Jones, who can provide reliable minutes on the 3rd D pairing and be a top PKer is important.

If your top players are doing everything and playing huge minutes all season that is a recipe for burnout/ injury.

I am willing to bet Jones will be on the top PK unit when he dresses.
Agreed, I do believe he will be on the PK.

Old
10-05-2011, 06:19 PM
sting13

I would guess Meech would be the fourth D on the PP when dressed.

sting13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

i agree completely with lynk.

also i think it's smart to have three pk units.

slater-thor
stuart-hainsey

little-maxwell/cormier/wheeler
enstrom-bogosian

burmistrov-maxwell/cormier/wheeler
whichever combo of hainsey, stuart, jones, enstrom, and bogosian is dressed and wasn't just out there.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 07:19 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Noel will utilize Wellwood's skill set on the power play at some point. If he would prove reliable, he is crafty enough to quarterback the 2nd unit. I could see Bogosian taking up shop in front of the net from time to time.

I'm also a fan of mixing the combos up. Just because certain guys play together at even strength doesn't mean they have to be together on the PP. Throwing Scheifele with Ladd and Wheeler and having Antropov with Little and Kane or whatever. I like seeing different players develop chemistry with players they don't regularly play with.

Wheeler - Scheifele - Ladd

Byfuglien - Enstrom

Little - Burmistrov/Antropov - Kane

Wellwood/Hainsey - Bogosian

Haven't seen enough from Antropov thus far to outright hand him the PP time, although I know he has been more than capable in the past.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 07:36 PM
broinwhyteridge

Quote:

PP #2

Bogosian-Hainsey
I would not put Burmistrov on the PP right now.

All that will happen is he will waste 45 seconds dangling with his stick handling skills until the opposition D rubs him out on the boards and then clears the puck down the ice.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Sunshine36616

Quote:
He should be fine if he isn't playing with Bogosian. lol

Buff never got much PK time here, which was one of the things his detractors pointed out when he was mentioned for Norris talk early in the season. Thor and Slater on the PK for sure. Thor will block a shot in a heartbeat. So will Enstrom.

Sunshine36616 is offline   Reply With Quote