HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles could use a big, physical defenseman

Old
10-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Mr Islander

vCash: 500
Isles could use a big, physical defenseman

Looking at the team, their forwards and goalies look set. Like many others have mentioned, the defensive corps is still suspect.

The overall depth of team scoring seems like it is at least adequate. The one area that I believe that they should try to improve on is the overall defensive play of the team. I think that getting rid of players like Shremp and Gervais was a nice start. The experience of Reasoner, Rolston, Staios (and now Panfolfo) could help. From the games that I was able to watch last year, I saw the team tend to get pushed around in the offensive zone and lose the puck, and also pushed around in the defensive zone and losing the puck. Maintaining puck possession was an issue. They would tend to turn the puck over in the the offensive zone, and get trapped in their own zone.

I grew up watching Al Arbour-coached teams, and I always saw how he prioritized overall team defense (he was a pretty successful guy, wouldn't you say?).

I really think that one way they can improve defensively is to acquire a big, physical, stay-at-home-type defensive defenseman. It doesn't necessarily have to be big open-ice hitter a la Darius Kaspiritis, but just a guy who is always willing to play the body along the boards. They need another guy who is very good at playing the body in their own end and removing the opposing player from the puck, thus breaking up whatever play the opposition is trying to set up. They already have a good type in Ham (Hamonic), who looks like he is going to be a really good player. Jurcina can cancel a player by default because of his size, but he is a bit slow and injury prone.

They might also want a player like this if he is physically tough and not prone to injury; able to take the hits on a nightly basis (like a workhouse). And also tough enough to play injured if needed (considering they have a lot of d-men coming off injuries, and you don't know how they will hold up ie could reinjure the same injuries).

It probably wouldn't cost as much as, say, what they would have to pay for another top four defenseman. And a player of this type would be easier to acquire than a top 4 d-man. It might mean someone would have to be waived or traded, though.

Last edited by Mr Islander: 10-04-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Mr Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 07:32 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
LOL you know if we can only get Zach Bogosian or Drew Doughty.....

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 07:50 PM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

vCash: 50
Luke Schenn

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 07:56 PM
onesinceforty

This ship has sailed. You'll get Staios, Mottau,Jurcina and Eaton and LIKE it. When they get hurt the young guys and Reese will fill in. Make peace with what is the reality. There are no more bodies coming. Remember we spend to the cap floor which includes Yashin and 5 million for Rolston. Cap Floor Spending = Cap Floor Quality.

onesinceforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:00 PM
KyleBailey12

Someone like Andy Sutton

KyleBailey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:12 PM
xECK29x

Hey look this thread again!

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:40 PM
scott99

In two-three yeas, we'll have Mayfield and Pedan, both big, mean and can skate.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:51 PM
cjdv16

Matt Walker was put on waivers by Philly. Not overly exciting, but certainly can bring a physical element to the blue line that we most certainly do not have one iota of.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 10:02 PM
IslesETF

Mike Komisarek would be a salary dump for the leafs. We're low on the cap floor, and he's a home town guy. If we trade, a 2nd round pick and maybe Ness that would be a solid deal for both teams.

IslesETF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 10:11 PM
Noreaster96

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesETF View Post
Mike Komisarek would be a salary dump for the leafs. We're low on the cap floor, and he's a home town guy. If we trade, a 2nd round pick and maybe Ness that would be a solid deal for both teams.
So.... we give the leafs cap relief from a bad contract while giving up a high pick and a decent prospect... Where do we sign?

Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Sneekypete

Quote:
I wouldn`t trade a signed Ness puck for Komi let alone Ness and a 2nd....Komi is a overpaid pilon that has progressively gotten worse. He makes Walker from the Flyers look like Pronger...

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 10:29 PM
bigdom1012

how would guys have felt if the isles went for redden?? i wouldve liked to have him on our team

bigdom1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 11:19 PM
IslesETF

Okay so give up less, but not more to get the deal done. Komi is still younge, big and tough. Just what the isles need.

IslesETF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 11:39 PM
StrongIslanders90

we have all known this for awhile....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 08:55 AM
Mr Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesinceforty View Post
This ship has sailed. You'll get Staios, Mottau,Jurcina and Eaton and LIKE it. When they get hurt the young guys and Reese will fill in. Make peace with what is the reality. There are no more bodies coming. Remember we spend to the cap floor which includes Yashin and 5 million for Rolston. Cap Floor Spending = Cap Floor Quality.
I know, reality bites. But it doesn't have to be a big-name, big-contract guy. I think that they could find a guy who fits the bill and has a peanuts salary if they just focused their scouting resources and did some homework.

Last edited by Mr Islander: 10-05-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old
10-05-2011, 08:57 AM
Mr Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleBailey12 View Post
Someone like Andy Sutton
Yeah, there was a guy who seriously seemed like he wanted to be here. But maybe Snowie felt constrained by the budget.

Old
10-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Mr Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
In two-three yeas, we'll have Mayfield and Pedan, both big, mean and can skate.
Yeah, I was thinking of those two also. Maybe Snowie woke up and realized he needs these types.

Old
10-05-2011, 09:47 AM
goal1228

how about Stu Bickel

goal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:52 AM
E_Godard

Quote:
lolz? Is that you Mr. Komisarek?!

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Hipster Doofus

So the Islanders need Mike Komisarek. Cool thread.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:58 AM
The mitchrock
Hunk of Monkey Love

Kings are stacked at D. Isles could trade a high draft pick for Thomas Hickey. He looked great at camp and probably would've made the roster if it weren't so deep.

The mitchrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchrock View Post
Kings are stacked at D. Isles could trade a high draft pick for Thomas Hickey. He looked great at camp and probably would've made the roster if it weren't so deep.
Hickey isn't a physical defenseman.

We had a shot at Scott Hannan but I'm guessing Snow didn't offer and now he's in Calgary for $1 million

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Mr Islander

Seeing some people mention some big money names and salary dumps. Not implying that in any way.

Perhaps a waiver claim, or a guy at the AHL level. You never know, a team could be deep in their system, and have a strong corp up on their parent team, and still have depth in the minors. Perhaps they could have the type of guy I am suggesting, but no room up in the big club. Maybe someone they could acquire with a mid or late-round pick (or perhaps Nabakov). Or maybe find a 7th or 8th d-man that fits the bill on an NHL team with a lot of depth behind the blue line.

It would be dependent on doing a lot of good scouting and homework (and of course finding a willing trading partner if they went that route).

If you could tell, I'm not impressed with Eaton or Mottau (Eaton in particular, thought he looked lost last season and was running around too much). Staios not sure of.

Last edited by Mr Islander: 10-05-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old
10-05-2011, 04:59 PM
The mitchrock
Hunk of Monkey Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Jonsson View Post
Hickey isn't a physical defenseman.

We had a shot at Scott Hannan but I'm guessing Snow didn't offer and now he's in Calgary for $1 million
Hickey played a pretty good physical game in the 2 pre-season Kings games I saw. You get a young d-man and probalby can get him for a draft pick.

The mitchrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Icedemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
LOL you know if we can only get Zach Bogosian or Drew Doughty.....
Isles should've tried to trade for bogosian. Could've offered bailey and a pick since both have not been all that good and fresh starts for both could've reinvigorated them. Doughty was a pipe dream(him in an isles jersey would've made this team near completion). Some reports on twitter had the isles extending him an offer sheet for 8 years and around $55-$60 million. What a load of garbage.

Icedemon is offline   Reply With Quote