HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders opening day roster

Old
10-05-2011, 03:24 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Brett MacLean is on waivers, this guy is proven, please pick him up and send Strome to juniors where he belongs...

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:27 PM
seafoam

...and correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't MacLean JT's "scoring bash brother" in the CHL?

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:28 PM
periferal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riders on the Strome View Post
If Strome is ever in the lineup, which I'm assuming he will be otherwise he would not be on this roster, then he should be playing on Tavares' wing. Playing him anywhere else is almost as pointless as playing him in the first place.
So Strome shouldn't be playing at all, but if he does he should assume a role on the line most playing time and most offensive responsibility? Makes sense.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:42 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
Strome even getting 9 games is a mistake. Why are we doing the right thing with De Haan and than we are so stupid with Strome and possibly Nino. Wake the f up Garth
because Dehaan doesn't have to see what it's like in the pros and get used to the lifestyle and others do?

Lifestyle and nutrition or something?

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Hipietro

I just really hope we can finally avoid the injury bug for a season. Yes we have a shot at having a much better season than last year and possibly making the playoffs, but if the injuries begin to accumulate like they have the past few seasons I see another very low finish.

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
because Dehaan doesn't have to see what it's like in the pros and get used to the lifestyle and others do?

Lifestyle and nutrition or something?
The entire 9 game "taste" makes zero sense when you know the guy will not succeed and could easily get hurt (Strome). Nino was great in juniors on a stacked team but did nothing in camp. Let him prove in juniors that he can carry a team and not just be a great player on a great team. On the Islanders he is the 10th forward in a 9 man lineup.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:52 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Brett MacLean is on waivers, this guy is proven, please pick him up and send Strome to juniors where he belongs...
I would grab him faster than we grabbed Grabner.

No second thoughts...Strome goes to juniors and MacLean heads to Nakatomi Coliseum.

Old
10-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I would grab him faster than we grabbed Grabner.

No second thoughts...Strome goes to juniors and MacLean heads to Nakatomi Coliseum.
If we had room I would be fine with picking up MacLean.

Just don't see a spot for him though. We already have 7 guys for 6 spots.

Moulson,PAP,Okposo,Grabner,Comeau,Rolston,Nino.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:00 PM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post

Take out Nino and add MacLean and we look much better this season

Old
10-05-2011, 04:05 PM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
Hate to say it but I could easily Strome getting injured in these wasteful 9 games. It was obvious he is not ready why push it or give him a "taste". I like Strome and think it was a good pick but he is NOT ready and pushing him to the NHL is a push in the wrong direction. If you need an injury replacement use pick up a waiver player or some other AHL fodder we have.

Nino also is not ready and should get another year in juniors. Make him earn a spot which he did not. Once again Garth and company are giving players spots the do not deserve based on draft number. Just when you think we may be moving in the right direction this crap gets pulled.
Great post. Strome's simply not ready-there's no need to push somebody who's not ready-even if it's for 9 games. Okposo got his 9 games at the end of a season where they were done. And even then he played well enough to earn his spot. Not to mention Okoposo was more physically ready to play-Strome couldn't make it a full season in the NHL-he's not ready.

Also I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Nino hasn't earned his spot. He did NOT dominate juniors. He was 4th on his team in points (and 3rd for ppg). While he did well with goals-that's more of a concern. Being a finisher in the NHL is much harder than setting people up for prospects coming in. Tavares and Stamkos both scored 23 and 24 goals their rookie year-and Nino isn't that type of heavily touted prospect.

Nino needs more time-and there's nothing wrong with that. The Crosbys/Kanes/Tavares/Stamkos who jump right into the NHL and can contribute are the exception to the rule-and not the norm.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post

I think if there were expectations that everyone would stay healthy, Comeau would have been traded by now. He's the most durable, I think that's why he stays.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:09 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
So Strome shouldn't be playing at all, but if he does he should assume a role on the line most playing time and most offensive responsibility? Makes sense.
If he's playing, I want him to play with talented players. So yes, it makes sense.

Last edited by IslesRock4: 10-05-2011 at 04:19 PM.
IslesRock4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:14 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Moulson-Tavares-Parenteau
Grabner-Nielsen-Okposo
Bailey-Strome-Comeau
Rolston-Reasoner-Martin
ex: Pandolfo

Does this make more sense if Strome is playing?

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Moulson-Tavares-Parenteau
Grabner-Nielsen-Okposo
Bailey-Strome-Comeau
Rolston-Reasoner-Martin
ex: Pandolfo

Does this make more sense if Strome is playing?
Bailey-Strome-Comeau would get lit up by other teams, no physical play or defense on a line like that. Strome in Niagara makes this lineup much stronger. He is simply over matched physically. Strome making the team could easily cost this team points in the first 9 games which could end up costing us a playoff spot in the end. Same goes for Nino.

Garth is showing is true colors once again

Old
10-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

stupid stupid stupid

send stroke down NOW

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Darth Bangkok

Does the 9 games have to be at the start of the year, or can it be another time?

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:26 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bangkok View Post
Does the 9 games have to be at the start of the year, or can it be another time?
It can be any time. Okposo had his 9 at the end of the season.

IslesRock4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riders on the Strome View Post
If Strome is ever in the lineup, which I'm assuming he will be otherwise he would not be on this roster, then he should be playing on Tavares' wing. Playing him anywhere else is almost as pointless as playing him in the first place.
It's not 2007 anymore. This club needs to let players earn their spots. not have them handed to them.

Spending any of Stromes 9 games this year is foolish. Handing him 1st line minutes when he clearly isn't ready sends the wrong message to everyone in the room. Particularly Parenteau, who for all his faults, still produced last season, and shouldn't feel that he's being bumped for a kid with 2 years of junior experience.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:31 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Bailey-Strome-Comeau would get lit up by other teams, no physical play or defense on a line like that. Strome in Niagara makes this lineup much stronger. He is simply over matched physically. Strome making the team could easily cost this team points in the first 9 games which could end up costing us a playoff spot in the end. Same goes for Nino.

Garth is showing is true colors once again
Comeau is pretty good on the backcheck and uses his body (more each year it seems) well. Bailey is good on D but bad in the cranium. The two have size enough but Strome would be the question mark. Does Strome get back? Can B&C make up for the inexperience at center? Do you want Strome on Center or RW so Bailey can contribute more?

I'd rather do as said above and if we have to, give him nine games at the end of the year and hope he bulks up.

MacLean is just smarter......he has size and chemistry with Tavares and opens the door for a PA trade to make some here QUITE happy. Meanwhile, Nino and Strome get stronger and build on their PERMANENCE.

Old
10-05-2011, 04:35 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
It's not 2007 anymore. This club needs to let players earn their spots. not have them handed to them.

Spending any of Stromes 9 games this year is foolish. Handing him 1st line minutes when he clearly isn't ready sends the wrong message to everyone in the room. Particularly Parenteau, who for all his faults, still produced last season, and shouldn't feel that he's being bumped for a kid with 2 years of junior experience.
EXACTLY.....way to work on team chemistry in a completely foolish manner if we're tossing aside a key contributor like that. What we feel.....the guys have to feel a much greater camaraderie with PA and that has to be something no one wants to see.

Strome is another rookie making his bones to earn a spot or it's Islanders business as usual with their Chyzowskis.

Old
10-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Tavaresfan91

anyone know how long nino will be out for?

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:40 PM
JKP

I really don't see the problem with giving Strome a taste of the NHL, especially with a few guys on the shelf to start the year.

If he can succeed, great. If not, he'll go back in a few games with a terrific idea of what he needs to work on and some extra cash in his pockets. What's the big deal?

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Take out Nino and add MacLean and we look much better this season
I would prefer that too, but the Isles seem dead set on keeping Nino up this year.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:45 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
The entire 9 game "taste" makes zero sense when you know the guy will not succeed and could easily get hurt (Strome). Nino was great in juniors on a stacked team but did nothing in camp. Let him prove in juniors that he can carry a team and not just be a great player on a great team. On the Islanders he is the 10th forward in a 9 man lineup.
yep. But if we wait til March for Strome's tryout, he could very well bulk up some and grow mentally. But *******, that's Detroit voodoo. Let's start him line 1 on Saturday 'cuz we're smarter than everyone else.

Old
10-05-2011, 04:47 PM
LAPPY13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
I really don't see the problem with giving Strome a taste of the NHL, especially with a few guys on the shelf to start the year.

If he can succeed, great. If not, he'll go back in a few games with a terrific idea of what he needs to work on and some extra cash in his pockets. What's the big deal?
I agree 100%

LAPPY13 is offline   Reply With Quote