HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders opening day roster

Old
10-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Hip Of Rick

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
I really don't see the problem with giving Strome a taste of the NHL, especially with a few guys on the shelf to start the year.

If he can succeed, great. If not, he'll go back in a few games with a terrific idea of what he needs to work on and some extra cash in his pockets. What's the big deal?
I hate to say "what if" but what if he gets hurt and loses a year of development just to give him a "taste" so he knows what he needs to work on. He is 18 he needs to work on EVERYTHING. He will not help the team win and could easily cost us points costing us a possible playoff birth. That is the big deal

Hip Of Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:55 PM
LAPPY13

vCash: 500
You guys make this Maclean kid sound like Mike Bossy! LOL!!!!!!!! We are going to have a good season! Relax and get off the edge! LOL!!!!!!!

LAPPY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Icedemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
Strome even getting 9 games is a mistake. Why are we doing the right thing with De Haan and than we are so stupid with Strome and possibly Nino. Wake the f up Garth
Nino has done everything in juniors. Guy scored 11 more goals and 10 more points in 10 or 12 less games last year. He was also among the top 5 in playoffs scoring in the WHL as well. Another year in juniors would be a waste for nin. I mean look at tampa, they got Connolly on the team this year which was expected with Gagne's departure. Defensemen more times then none take longer to develop then forwards do. As for Strome, I expected him to get a 9 game look if they signed him to an ELC which they did. It's mainly in part to injuries, so I don't expect Strome to stay long. As soon as Niederreiter is healthy, Strome will be sent back to juniors. Strome is not physically ready for the NHL, and needs to work on his acceleration a bit. Strome's confidence will be sky high since he will more then likely dominate the OHL this year along with possible 2012 #1 pick Nail Yakupov.

Icedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousNYI View Post
Minus Strome, who will probably not be here past 9 games, I really like our top 4 lines. I would prefer someone a little better than PA on Tavares' wing, but still I do like our forwards. We could use another top 4 D-man, but who doesn't know that?

This 3 goalie thing won't last, IMO. Either DP gets hurt or they trade Nabakov.
Or the far more likely scenario of them trading Nabokov & then DP gets hurt.

This club needs to have DP in the press box for every game unless someone gets hurt. I'm so over this guy holding this club hostage with his inevitable injuries.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riders on the Strome View Post
It can be any time. Okposo had his 9 at the end of the season.
Slight correction on this. Once Strome is sent down, he can't be called up until after Niagara's season is finished.

For instance, if the Isles are out of the playoffs with about 10 games to go and want to call him up to see how he looks, they can only do so if Niagara's season is done. If Niagara is still playing, they can't simply call him up for a 9-game trial.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPPY13 View Post
For whats its worth this is the best New York Islanders team (on paper) in the last 10 years! Lets go Islanders!!!!!!!!!!!

It really is.

Quote:
Strome will be back in the OHL once El NINO is off the IR. Nothing to worry about here. Islanders will not rush Strome to the NHL like they did with Bailey.

I agree with this.

10-05-2011, 05:24 PM
JKP

Quote:
I hate to say "what if" but what if he gets hurt and loses a year of development just to give him a "taste" so he knows what he needs to work on. He is 18 he needs to work on EVERYTHING. He will not help the team win and could easily cost us points costing us a possible playoff birth. That is the big deal
And "what if" he scores a hat trick on opening night and never looks back on his way to a calder season? I agree that he likely should be in Niagara this year, but I really don't see the harm in giving him a spin for a few games. If this team was stacked with 12 healthy quality forwards, I'd probably sing a different tune. But it isn't.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 05:27 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedemon View Post
Nino has done everything in juniors. Guy scored 11 more goals and 10 more points in 10 or 12 less games last year. He was also among the top 5 in playoffs scoring in the WHL as well. Another year in juniors would be a waste for nin. I mean look at tampa, they got Connolly on the team this year which was expected with Gagne's departure. Defensemen more times then none take longer to develop then forwards do. As for Strome, I expected him to get a 9 game look if they signed him to an ELC which they did. It's mainly in part to injuries, so I don't expect Strome to stay long. As soon as Niederreiter is healthy, Strome will be sent back to juniors. Strome is not physically ready for the NHL, and needs to work on his acceleration a bit. Strome's confidence will be sky high since he will more then likely dominate the OHL this year along with possible 2012 #1 pick Nail Yakupov.
Your scenario sounds about right. Strome will be up with the big club as a place holder for Nino until he's off the IR. Probably the organization giving Strome a taste of what it's like in the NHL. He might play opening night, but he should get an ovation from the crowd even if he doesn't dress. That would be quite a thrill for the young lad.

As for Nail Yakupov, I thought he played for the Sarnia Sting?!?

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Icedemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Or the far more likely scenario of them trading Nabokov & then DP gets hurt.

This club needs to have DP in the press box for every game unless someone gets hurt. I'm so over this guy holding this club hostage with his inevitable injuries.
Any islanders fan with common sense and living in reality is sick of him. Why people still think this guy is the greatest is beyond me. Broduer (the one goalie dp fans compare him to) had a couple vesina's and 2 or 3 stanley cups by the time he was 30. Same for the greatest goalie in the isles history mr billy smith done more then dp by the time he hit 30. Nikolai Khabibulin won a stanley cup at the age of 30 or 31 with tampa. Oh and for further reference. Cam Ward, Marc-Andre Fleury won stanley cups before dp did, and they were drafted years after dp was. Oh and lastly, Antii Niemi won the cup with the blackhawks at age 27 and he was never drafted.

Old
10-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Icedemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Your scenario sounds about right. Strome will be up with the big club as a place holder for Nino until he's off the IR. Probably the organization giving Strome a taste of what it's like in the NHL. He might play opening night, but he should get an ovation from the crowd even if he doesn't dress. That would be quite a thrill for the young lad.

As for Nail Yakupov, I thought he played for the Sarnia Sting?!?
Strome might dress for opening night. Heard he might be a scratch which would be stupid. Yes Yakupov does play for the Sting. You may have misread or got a bit confused with what I said. I basically said Strome and Yakupov will be the 2 dominating players in the OHL.

Old
10-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
And "what if" he scores a hat trick on opening night and never looks back on his way to a calder season? I agree that he likely should be in Niagara this year, but I really don't see the harm in giving him a spin for a few games. If this team was stacked with 12 healthy quality forwards, I'd probably sing a different tune. But it isn't.
The harm is an 18 year old who is not physically ready costing the team points and possibly injuring himself. He was held pointless in preseason and showed flashes but it is clear he is not ready. More harm than good can from him getting a "taste". I like Strome just don't like him in the NHL this season for even 1 game

Old
10-05-2011, 05:43 PM
seafoam
Do The Panic

vCash: 0
Quote:
You guys make this Maclean kid sound like Mike Bossy! LOL!!!!!!!! We are going to have a good season! Relax and get off the edge! LOL!!!!!!!
He's had two straight 30 goal seasons in the AHL, I mean it is the AHL but the kid has serious goal scoring touch that will translate to the NHL. He might never be a stud, but if JT can make Moulson a 30 goal guy, I have no doubt that he could make MacLean at 20 goal guy AT LEAST!

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 05:43 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
The harm is an 18 year old who is not physically ready costing the team points and possibly injuring himself. He was held pointless in preseason and showed flashes but it is clear he is not ready. More harm than good can from him getting a "taste". I like Strome just don't like him in the NHL this season for even 1 game
I'm thinking that he'll never see the ice while he's up here. Nino is reported to be about a week away so Strome will be the 13th forward which means that he'll be watching from the press box for those 3 or 4 games.

I just don't see where he could be slotted even he does dress for a game. Unless he takes Parenteau's spot for a game, there is no use putting him on the 4th line. We're possibly making a mountain out of a mole hill folks.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Nino has done everything in juniors. Guy scored 11 more goals and 10 more points in 10 or 12 less games last year. He was also among the top 5 in playoffs scoring in the WHL as well. Another year in juniors would be a waste for nin. I mean look at tampa, they got Connolly on the team this year which was expected with
Connolly tore up the preseason this year. If he did not he easily could have been sent back to juniors. Nino showed up to preseason this year, got hurt did not stand out, big difference. Nino was a great player on a great team just like Bailey was. I know its not the same situation but Nino has a chance to be the main man this year on that team, on the Isles he is the 10th forward on a 9 man staff. He is 19, there is no rush

Old
10-05-2011, 05:49 PM
TheBoss22

Quote:
Agree on both points.

Strome should go back to juniors. But if they want him to get his feet wet for 9 games then so be it. Who knows. There could have been a deal that if Strome signs his ELC he'd get to play MIN 9 games.

The potential risk of injury is irrelevant. Happens to the weak & strong. Plus those comments were also said about Okposo when he first got the call up, and Okie was built like a freight train.

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I'm thinking that he'll never see the ice while he's up here. Nino is reported to be about a week away so Strome will be the 13th forward which means that he'll be watching from the press box for those 3 or 4 games.

I just don't see where he could be slotted even he does dress for a game. Unless he takes Parenteau's spot for a game, there is no use putting him on the 4th line. We're possibly making a mountain out of a mole hill folks.
Than what is the point of having him here? Just in case or to get a "taste". We have AHL guys that can do that as well. A well run team does not give a guy a "taste" based on his draft position, it is done based on play.

Old
10-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Mr Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMputt View Post
How about sending Stome back and claiming MacLean off waivers. Let him practice with the team and fit him in a lot like Grabner last year?
I saw that MacLean put up some good offensive numbers in juniors and the AHL, scored some goals. Why is Phoenix exposing him to waivers? Anyone know about his salary/contract?

Mr Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Than what is the point of having him here? Just in case or to get a "taste". We have AHL guys that can do that as well. A well run team does not give a guy a "taste" based on his draft position, it is done based on play.
You should keep posting the same opinion over and over.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
You should keep posting the same opinion over and over.
Haha ya I noticed I am. I am waiting for someone to give a reason other than well "it can't hurt" or "its just a taste". Those are not reasons, that is rationalizing a bad move.

Old
10-05-2011, 06:09 PM
GusTheo

Quote:
Any islanders fan with common sense and living in reality is sick of him. Why people still think this guy is the greatest is beyond me. Broduer (the one goalie dp fans compare him to) had a couple vesina's and 2 or 3 stanley cups by the time he was 30. Same for the greatest goalie in the isles history mr billy smith done more then dp by the time he hit 30. Nikolai Khabibulin won a stanley cup at the age of 30 or 31 with tampa. Oh and for further reference. Cam Ward, Marc-Andre Fleury won stanley cups before dp did, and they were drafted years after dp was. Oh and lastly, Antii Niemi won the cup with the blackhawks at age 27 and he was never drafted.
And Tim Thomas didn't break into the NHL as a regular until his 30's. All that stuff is irrelevant.

The guy is finally healthy, if he can play well he will play. If he can't he's going to sit. I'd like to think it's that simple.

This new way of thinking for the organization seems to be more inline with the rest of the league, rather then always going against the grain.

Either way, we're going to see what happens.

GusTheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Icedemon

Quote:
Connolly tore up the preseason this year. If he did not he easily could have been sent back to juniors. Nino showed up to preseason this year, got hurt did not stand out, big difference. Nino was a great player on a great team just like Bailey was. I know its not the same situation but Nino has a chance to be the main man this year on that team, on the Isles he is the 10th forward on a 9 man staff. He is 19, there is no rush
The isles were experimenting with niederreiter on the 1st line, and he looked good. He was the man along with Ryan Johansson on the winterhawks as well as on the jr swiss team. Physically he is ready. Could another year in the WHL be good for him, yes. But with the year he had last year he may not have much left to accomplish in juniors which usually how it goes for top picks.

Old
10-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Haha ya I noticed I am. I am waiting for someone to give a reason other than well "it can't hurt" or "its just a taste". Those are not reasons, that is rationalizing a bad move.
I agree with you.

With his build, the chances of an injury in say those nine trial games is too high for my liking.

I'd rather Haley stick around and go with what they have until certain players come off the IR.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 08:43 PM
Top Corner

Quote:
May we ask what is a good season?? Better than 5th from last or a playoff team??

Isles fans are so complacent. I expect them to be better than 5th from last but
there are still too many ifs and not enough for sures..

Unless there are a few changes on the defensive side, expect to be picking top 10

Top Corner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 08:50 PM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
And my grandmother owned two rabbits. This is all nonsense. Anybody can achieve and this example goes for all positions. Get used to giving DP chances, it would be dumb not to. If he gets injured, so what! Everyone was fine with bringing up Poulin last year if there was no Nabakov it wouldn't kill us. Relax a little and thank GOD you aren't a GM.

What a msg to send the league--- let's give a guy a long term contract and then kick him to the curb for something BEYOND his control. I'm sure he went out there to get injured on purpose.. Jesus Christ. Let's go blame Berard for being a waste of a draft pick back in the day because he intentionally slit open his eye. WTH!

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 08:53 PM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner View Post
May we ask what is a good season?? Better than 5th from last or a playoff team??

Isles fans are so complacent. I expect them to be better than 5th from last but
there are still too many ifs and not enough for sures..

Unless there are a few changes on the defensive side, expect to be picking top 10
+1 I too many question marks

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote