HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Special teams

Old
10-05-2011, 09:02 PM
kpap57

vCash: 500
Special teams

Everyone knows that special teams are a huge part of a team being playoff bound, and being being a bottom feeder. Its no real wonder that while the islanders have been in the bottom 5 the last few year, that they have also had one of the worst PP and PK in the league.

With Streit coming back there is no doubt the PP will be better. Also with the addition of Rolston and his sick shot as well as Staios, the point on the PP looks much better. How will the point this year look? Will it be something like Streit-Rolston, Staios-Okposo? Either way we should expect to see a much improved PP.

On the PK side of things, with the addition of Reasoner and Pandolpho (i know many people were against this signing,) they are much more capable on the D side of things then Bailey and Comeau IMO. With Nielson and Grabner on the other unit. Grabner is not a great PK'er IMO, but his speed def makes the other teams Point men more cautious. Overall the PK is upgraded over last year.

Any guesses on where their special teams will fall in the rankings this year? (Hopefully high enough to propel us into the playoffs)

kpap57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:04 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpap57 View Post
Everyone knows that special teams are a huge part of a team being playoff bound, and being being a bottom feeder. Its no real wonder that while the islanders have been in the bottom 5 the last few year, that they have also had one of the worst PP and PK in the league.

With Streit coming back there is no doubt the PP will be better. Also with the addition of Rolston and his sick shot as well as Staios, the point on the PP looks much better. How will the point this year look? Will it be something like Streit-Rolston, Staios-Okposo? Either way we should expect to see a much improved PP.

On the PK side of things, with the addition of Reasoner and Pandolpho (i know many people were against this signing,) they are much more capable on the D side of things then Bailey and Comeau IMO. With Nielson and Grabner on the other unit. Grabner is not a great PK'er IMO, but his speed def makes the other teams Point men more cautious. Overall the PK is upgraded over last year.

Any guesses on where their special teams will fall in the rankings this year? (Hopefully high enough to propel us into the playoffs)
Whereever we rank, it won't be with Staios on the point...

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:24 PM
JKP

Our PP was 17th and our PK was 12th. I wouldn't exactly say were bottom of the league. Clearly room for improvement, but I think we had a bigger problem 5-on-5 where we were 27th.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:33 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Our PP ranked mid-range but it seemed like it failed when the team needed a goal most. A healthy Streit, Okposo, an addition like Rolston and continued improvement from Tavares, Grabner, Bailey will mean a much better PP this year. No doubt about that.

On the PK, I think the Isles have the ADVANTAGE with Nielsen/Grabner are on the ice. You add Streit's ability to make long passes (and DiPietro of course ) and that PK will be deadly. Those two DID ACTUALLY OUTSCORE teams when the NYi were shorthanded last year!

Secondary units that can/will include players like: MacDonald, Hamonic, Pandolfo, Reasoner, Okposo will be solid. I'm not sold on the front-of-the-net presence a tough defenseman would bring but there aren't many of those around, not those who can actually play, anyway. I'm not a huge fan of Jurcina, I don't think Eaton is that good (or that bad) but another defenseman would be golden for this team.

I also worry about the 5on5 play, but this year's team will be better than last years, that's for sure. How much better is the nine-dollar-question.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:52 PM
kpap57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
Our PP was 17th and our PK was 12th. I wouldn't exactly say were bottom of the league. Clearly room for improvement, but I think we had a bigger problem 5-on-5 where we were 27th.
Hm i could have swore they were ranked in the 20's. Pk better than PP. My bad. Yeah 5-on-5 was def a prob, but our bottom 6 is much improved IMHO, so i def see that improving as well.

Old
10-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Renbarg

Ya, I think we will be fine on both sides of special teams. Both have players added to (Reasoner, Pando and Streit to the PK, Streit and Rolston to the PK) that have enjoyed success on those units. Add to that the fact that we have young players maturing means we should be fine. Mid-pack in PK and top 10 in pp would be my guess and the goal I would set.

Last edited by Renbarg: 10-05-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:49 PM
StrongIslanders90

Streit is going to make a huge differance....you saw that in the pre season......Rolston I thik is going to suprise a few and blast some in as well.... and JT and Matty Ice wil be around the net and put home any and all rebounds....Neilson also has shown the skill to be good on the PP....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 03:26 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpap57 View Post
As a huge grabs fan i am biased, but interested as to where you got the idea that he is bad on the pk? As stated previously, with him on the pk he may have outscored the opposition. Sounds like a hell a pker to me...

Does what i am saying make any sense? happy for any feedback...

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 04:02 AM
drive45

Grabs= good pk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
As a huge grabs fan i am biased, but interested as to where you got the idea that he is bad on the pk? As stated previously, with him on the pk he may have outscored the opposition. Sounds like a hell a pker to me...

Does what i am saying make any sense? happy for any feedback...
Grabs was one short of the rookie record for shorties. There's more to PK than that, of course, but it does curb the ambitions of the opponents' PP

drive45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 04:47 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive45 View Post
Grabs was one short of the rookie record for shorties. There's more to PK than that, of course, but it does curb the ambitions of the opponents' PP
thats a major factor. However, if he would have been such a bad pker in other aspects, then the isles woulda received loads of goals while he was on the ice. Did they receive so many goals? I dont think so...

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 10:20 AM
kpap57

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
thats a major factor. However, if he would have been such a bad pker in other aspects, then the isles woulda received loads of goals while he was on the ice. Did they receive so many goals? I dont think so...
I never said bad PK'er, but if it wasnt for his threat of scoring and actually producing points on the PK, I think one of comeau, bailey or KO would be better options. And Grabner is prob my fav player on the team

Old
10-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Isles Junkie

Isles have a real shot to be top 10 in both categories this year.

Neilsen, Grabner, Okposo, Reasoner & Pandolfo are 5 excellent PKers. There will definitely be options there. the PK should be just as good if not better than last year.

I'd really like to see some different looks on the PP rush though. Streits slow loopy trek up the ice is just too slow. That always bothered me 2 & 3 years ago. It'll be interesting to see the lines though.

As for the Point, you gotta figure Streit & Rolston on PP1 and Hamonic with either Okposo, Jurcina or MacDonald on 2. Hamonic should be a lock though. Hell I wouldn't even mind him on PP1. His shot is hard & he's getting it on net far more than any other Islander Dman has since Aucoin was here.

Isles Junkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 11:42 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

I dunno why, but out PP at home last year was horrible. On the road it was very good. Averaged out to middle of the pack. Some consistency will help win more games...that and a healthy 1st unit

isles31 is online now   Reply With Quote