HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Doughty vs Johnson 11-12

View Poll Results: Who will have more points this season?
Drew Doughty 63 81.82%
Jack Johnson 14 18.18%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-06-2011, 02:59 AM
  #1
jonrazor12
Palffy for President
 
jonrazor12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,031
vCash: 500
Doughty vs Johnson 11-12

Who has more points at season's end? My vote goes to Johnson.....


Last year doughty took 75% of the votes but Johnson ended season with more points


Last edited by jonrazor12: 10-06-2011 at 03:20 AM.
jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 04:21 AM
  #2
Herby
Culture Changer
 
Herby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 16,334
vCash: 500
I think it will be Doughty. By how much will depend on if Kompon actually uses Johnson on the #1 PP or if they insist on running it through one-timers by you know who.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:39 AM
  #3
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 26,969
vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Doughty will likely win as long as he stays healthy.

__________________

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:50 AM
  #4
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,732
vCash: 500
Honestly this is a toss up in my opinion. Doughty can put up some big numbers but I don't think we've seen the best out of Jack Johnson either. Hopefully Drew learned from last year and will be prepared to have a great season. I picked Drew, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Johnson go over 50 points.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:10 PM
  #5
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,685
vCash: 500
If Martinez got the big minutes, he could be in this conversation too.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:21 PM
  #6
bobafettish*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
better question is if JJ is gonna be a - for the year.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:38 PM
  #7
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!
 
hauspaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: South Korea
Posts: 1,438
vCash: 500
I voted DD because I think he'll have more ice time...

hauspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:50 PM
  #8
ean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
better question is if JJ is gonna be a - for the year.
Is that even a question?

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:12 PM
  #9
LAX attack*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Danger Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 14,543
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Hello Kings' board, what are your thoughts if Doughty has another sub-par season like last year? As a Kings' fan I have thought of all sorts of kinds of justifications but it is clear that he did not perform up to standards. Would you still have faith in him and the contract? It doesn't seem to me that DL would give such a massive contract unless, in all his wisdom and experience with hockey, he trusted last season was just a blip.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:51 PM
  #10
bobafettish*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
Is that even a question?
im optimistic.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:58 PM
  #11
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 26,969
vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughtybetterbemoney View Post
Hello Kings' board, what are your thoughts if Doughty has another sub-par season like last year? As a Kings' fan I have thought of all sorts of kinds of justifications but it is clear that he did not perform up to standards. Would you still have faith in him and the contract? It doesn't seem to me that DL would give such a massive contract unless, in all his wisdom and experience with hockey, he trusted last season was just a blip.
Depends. 40 points is still good for any offensive defenseman, especially a 20/21 year old defenseman during a season in which he experienced a concussion early on and missed games... Lombardi expects Doughty to become a consistent, habitual $7 million defenseman, but if he were to fall short I doubt Lombardi or anyone would really panic. Doughty still has a lot of upside, and a lot of years remaining to make it happen.

Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 03:26 PM
  #12
RightKinger
Registered User
 
RightKinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
If Martinez got the big minutes, he could be in this conversation too.
Agreed. I think a lot of people on this board underrate AMart.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 04:36 PM
  #13
jonrazor12
Palffy for President
 
jonrazor12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,031
vCash: 500
I think doughty gets off to a slow start due to missing camp. Johnson will be consistent all year

jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 05:30 PM
  #14
LAX attack*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Danger Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 14,543
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Depends. 40 points is still good for any offensive defenseman, especially a 20/21 year old defenseman during a season in which he experienced a concussion early on and missed games... Lombardi expects Doughty to become a consistent, habitual $7 million defenseman, but if he were to fall short I doubt Lombardi or anyone would really panic. Doughty still has a lot of upside, and a lot of years remaining to make it happen.
Yeah Doughty is great at creating offense - a joke that my father made when Drew carelessly turned the puck over, to Edmonton no less.

Doughty is no longer a prospect and upside isn't the only thing we can look at anymore. Doughty should be scoring 60 points annually in my opinion, and I would be dissapointed if he never scored near a point per a game in his career. If he's not going to be a top-3 offensive defenseman in the league, what is the point.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 06:46 PM
  #15
no name
Registered User
 
no name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 11,919
vCash: 500
Drew. Jack will be closer to a plus this year though.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 03:07 AM
  #16
gtwyc
L.A. Kings Fan
 
gtwyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: los angeles, ca
Country: United States
Posts: 1,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughtybetterbemoney View Post
Yeah Doughty is great at creating offense - a joke that my father made when Drew carelessly turned the puck over, to Edmonton no less.

Doughty is no longer a prospect and upside isn't the only thing we can look at anymore. Doughty should be scoring 60 points annually in my opinion, and I would be dissapointed if he never scored near a point per a game in his career. If he's not going to be a top-3 offensive defenseman in the league, what is the point.
He's a top 5 overall defenseman. You want him to put up mike green numbers (under boudreau's old system), and shut things down in his own zone like any 7 million dollar defenseman should be able to do. His upside is to be more than just top 3 offensive defenseman

I think 60 points is very reasonable for Doughty tho. DD has a lot of pressure on him to have a career year.

gtwyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 05:27 PM
  #17
LAX attack*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Danger Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 14,543
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by butteryslugz View Post
He's a top 5 overall defenseman. You want him to put up mike green numbers (under boudreau's old system), and shut things down in his own zone like any 7 million dollar defenseman should be able to do. His upside is to be more than just top 3 offensive defenseman

I think 60 points is very reasonable for Doughty tho. DD has a lot of pressure on him to have a career year.
I was saying he should be a top-3 offensive defenseman, at the very least. I am expecting his defensive play to be at least "very good" and anything close to elite would be just a bonus

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 05:43 PM
  #18
KingNothing4
Registered User
 
KingNothing4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Basement of Staples
Country: United States
Posts: 851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughtybetterbemoney View Post
Yeah Doughty is great at creating offense - a joke that my father made when Drew carelessly turned the puck over, to Edmonton no less.

Doughty is no longer a prospect and upside isn't the only thing we can look at anymore. Doughty should be scoring 60 points annually in my opinion, and I would be dissapointed if he never scored near a point per a game in his career. If he's not going to be a top-3 offensive defenseman in the league, what is the point.
PPG for a Dman is asking a lot, not to mention on a defense-first team. 60 points though I definitely think is the range he should be. Hopefully 50s is a "down year" and 70s if he goes off. I'll just say 69pts will be his career year

10-11
Visnovsky - 68
Lidstrom - 62
Yandle - 59

09-10
Green - 76
Keith - 69
Doughty - 59

08-09
Green - 73
Markov - 64
Lidstrom/Niedarmeyer/Rafalski - 59

07-08
Lidstrom - 70
Gonchar - 65
Campbell/Streit - 62

06-07
Niedermayer - 69
Gonchar - 67
Souray - 64

05-06
Lidstrom - 80
Zubov - 71
McCabe - 68

KingNothing4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 06:48 PM
  #19
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 58,170
vCash: 168
DD will win in a tko

__________________
"If the Detroit Red Wings are defying gravity" by consistently contending without the benefit of high draft picks, "the Edmonton Oilers are defying lift.
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 02:13 AM
  #20
markisonfire
Registered User
 
markisonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 4,178
vCash: 500
Doughty isn't making $7 million because of how many points he scores. The points are great, and a 50 point campaign would be awesome, but even in last year's "down year", he still scored 40 points. The fact is that he eats half a game's worth of minutes for breakfast. He is a stellar defender and plays in all situations. The points will come. Is it any surprise that Doughty's point totals dropped after last season's 16.1% powerplay efficiency (21st overall) in comparison with 09-10's 20.8% powerplay efficiency (7th overall)?

I think Doughty will have a bounce back year and have something like 15 goals and 45 assists. Add that to the sheer number of minutes he will play and the Kings performing well this season, and we might have ourselves a Norris trophy.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 09:56 AM
  #21
LAKings4ever
Registered User
 
LAKings4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 405
vCash: 500
DD should score more points, but he will more the more effective player with better overall play. If you were to add points scored and then add in +/- it would be DD in a landslide unless JJ can become a consistent player and play with the same intensity every game and every shift to become the player we all hoped he would.

LAKings4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:20 AM
  #22
Herby
Culture Changer
 
Herby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 16,334
vCash: 500
Either way, let's just be happy that both these guys should be Kings for a long long time. Not many teams have a 1-2 punch as talented as these guys.

Jack's point totals should go up this year if they keep him on the PP. I think 50+ points is very possible.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 05:06 PM
  #23
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
Doughty isn't making $7 million because of how many points he scores. The points are great, and a 50 point campaign would be awesome, but even in last year's "down year", he still scored 40 points. The fact is that he eats half a game's worth of minutes for breakfast. He is a stellar defender and plays in all situations. The points will come. Is it any surprise that Doughty's point totals dropped after last season's 16.1% powerplay efficiency (21st overall) in comparison with 09-10's 20.8% powerplay efficiency (7th overall)?

I think Doughty will have a bounce back year and have something like 15 goals and 45 assists. Add that to the sheer number of minutes he will play and the Kings performing well this season, and we might have ourselves a Norris trophy.
He kind of is. If it was strictly about how good his defense, he'd be getting Willie Mitchell money.

I'd say he's paid 1/3 for his offense, 1/3 for his defense/leadership/etc and 1/3 for his potential that is yet to be realized.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:24 AM
  #24
jonrazor12
Palffy for President
 
jonrazor12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,031
vCash: 500
So who has looked better over the first two games? At this point I would call it a tie. Doughty has been consistent. Not great but not bad. Johnson has shown glimpses of brilliance but has made some blatant errors as well.

jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.