HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2011-12 CIS Regular Season & Results

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-18-2012, 09:03 PM
  #226
AUS Fan
Registered User
 
AUS Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At the Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,243
vCash: 500
Good tilt at Dal tonight. Missing several starters, Acadia cobbled together a roster of regulars and Black Aces to get the OT win. Both teams had their moments where they were either good or ragged. Evan Mosher was busier than Wendall Vye, having to scramble several times to keep pucks out. Dal now has a home-and-home with SMU friday and Saturday while the Axemen host SFX on Friday and travel there on Sunday.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:46 PM
  #227
HabsIslesFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 249
vCash: 500
Not a perfect game by either Dal or Acadia tonight but I was impressed with how Dal played compared to the team I watched before Christmas. 3-1-1 now since the break so the coaching change is looking quite good right now. 3 points back of X now and 2 games left against them, will be interesting to see if X can get some momentum here after beating UNB at home or if we have a battle for the last playoff spot to look forward to watching

HabsIslesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:01 PM
  #228
SnipeShow91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 591
vCash: 500
Queen's 4, RMC 1

Article on the game: http://www.thewhig.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3441205

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:05 PM
  #229
SnipeShow91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 591
vCash: 500
RMC 1 @ Concordia 6 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eeMQ...1&feature=plcp

Queen's 4 @ RMC 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKDMq...ature=youtu.be

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:50 PM
  #230
Rob
Registered User
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,004
vCash: 500
Moncton 5 UNB 1

Glad I drove to Moncton to see UNB's worse loss in a couple of seasons at least.
They outshot Moncton 35-27. Marion was solid in net but didn't have to make any big saves as UNB was unable to get any good scoring chances. He did a good job of controlling the rebounds. Moncton did a good job of of playing tight defence in front of the net forcing UNB on the perimeter and took advantage of their chances when they came. (blueprint for beating the VReds)

Carrol was injured early and I'm not sure why Wiebe was not dressed.

No excuses though. UNB's powerplay continues to be one of the worst in the AUS. Not only did they have a 4 minute PP but they had a two man advantage for two minutes and barely mustered a scoring chance.

First place is very much up for grabs.


EDIT:

Dalhouise beats SMU tonight and Acadia beats X. Tigers are only 1 point out of a playoff spot!

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:40 PM
  #231
gleanerguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 290
vCash: 500
Tommies lose a heartbreaker, 4-3 in a shootout to UPEI after leading 3-1 midway through. Doyle and Lockhart conspired to give them two extended 5-on-3s late...in fact, they had to start the OT period 5-on-3 rather than 4-on-4 because UPEI was two men short to start. They killed it and won it in the shootout. Tough one to let get away as they look for that elusive fourth win...

gleanerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:43 PM
  #232
WilcoxHound
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 246
vCash: 500
The GeeGees embarassed themselves tonight. An undisciplined penalty in the 2nd period set up Concordia's first goal and gave the Stingers the momentum to steamroll an Ottawa team that is beginning to look a little fragile. The GeeGees are playing like they are afraid to make mistakes or have distractions off the ice that reduce their ability to focus on their systems and compete as a team for 60 minutes.
Maybe it's just that the first half of their schedule was against lower ranked teams and now that they are playing top end teams they have to play at a more competitive level which means bringing the discipline to compete and be hard to play against on every shift, characteristics that aren't apparent right now.


Last edited by WilcoxHound: 01-21-2012 at 12:06 AM.
WilcoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 06:56 AM
  #233
STUTOMMIES
Registered User
 
STUTOMMIES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Fredericton
Country: Canada
Posts: 541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
Tommies lose a heartbreaker, 4-3 in a shootout to UPEI after leading 3-1 midway through. Doyle and Lockhart conspired to give them two extended 5-on-3s late...in fact, they had to start the OT period 5-on-3 rather than 4-on-4 because UPEI was two men short to start. They killed it and won it in the shootout. Tough one to let get away as they look for that elusive fourth win...
Once again the refs around here are brutal. If I were a PEI fan I would be miffed off. I don't like those useless calls and the inconsistency of calls. The players don't have a clue from one period to the next. Unlike the other Fredericton team fans, I think the bad calls go both ways and I don't like it, even if it is to the advantage of my team. I don't pay to watch the refs.

STUTOMMIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 09:11 AM
  #234
clear the track
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 160
vCash: 500
Hard to understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoxHound View Post
The GeeGees embarassed themselves tonight. An undisciplined penalty in the 2nd period set up Concordia's first goal and gave the Stingers the momentum to steamroll an Ottawa team that is beginning to look a little fragile. The GeeGees are playing like they are afraid to make mistakes or have distractions off the ice that reduce their ability to focus on their systems and compete as a team for 60 minutes.
Maybe it's just that the first half of their schedule was against lower ranked teams and now that they are playing top end teams they have to play at a more competitive level which means bringing the discipline to compete and be hard to play against on every shift, characteristics that aren't apparent right now.
Did not see the game but what a monumental collapse. With only a few games remaining with the majority of games against Carleton UQTR and McGill they could very well have played their way out of the playoffs. Only 2 pts separate 3rd to 8th place.

Last year Blain, Methot and Ireland were the top scoring line in all of CIS hockey on a team that on paper was not as good as this one. Hard to understand. Ottawa is 3rd last in GF in Conference standings.

clear the track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 09:43 AM
  #235
gleanerguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
Once again the refs around here are brutal. If I were a PEI fan I would be miffed off. I don't like those useless calls and the inconsistency of calls. The players don't have a clue from one period to the next. Unlike the other Fredericton team fans, I think the bad calls go both ways and I don't like it, even if it is to the advantage of my team. I don't pay to watch the refs.
Indeed. Refs butcher the game and then slam the team with unsportsmanlike penalties when they dare question them. Never seen a team enter 4-on-4 OT two men short, so they have to edit the rules of the game for the teams to playh 5-on-3Absolutely brutal.

gleanerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 08:05 PM
  #236
WilcoxHound
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clear the track View Post

Last year Blain, Methot and Ireland were the top scoring line in all of CIS hockey on a team that on paper was not as good as this one. Hard to understand. Ottawa is 3rd last in GF in Conference standings.
As of this writing Ottawa is only ahead of RMC in goals for but they are only behind McGill for fewest goals allowed and yet Paiment is firing off on his goalkeepers and seemingly allowing the skaters to play as individuals. Jalbert is supposed to be a d-man but he plays like a rover and gets caught out of position deep in the opposition end creating odd man rushes for the opposition 5 or 6 times a game. The offence is all played on the perimeter with very few shots having the potential to be goals. It's easy to defend against forwards who won't pay the price to score.

WilcoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 08:39 PM
  #237
Rob
Registered User
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,004
vCash: 500
UPEI 8 UNB 7 - not a typo. UNB pulled started Dan Lacosta after the first (assuming injury) and started 3rd string goalie Matt Davis. One of the worst goaltending displays I have ever seen.

SMU 6 Dal 4 - Dal remains one point back of X for the final playoff spot.

Moncton 7 STU 2 - No surprise here. Moncton now in a tie for first with UNB.

Acadia vists STFX tomorrow. With a win the Axemen can jump into first place. X will want to get some breathing room between them and Dal.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 09:32 PM
  #238
Magnetewan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
Western beats Lakehead

Western beats Lakehead in back to back games in Thunder Bay by identical scores of 1-0.

Magnetewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 08:05 AM
  #239
clear the track
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 160
vCash: 500
Big Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoxHound View Post
As of this writing Ottawa is only ahead of RMC in goals for but they are only behind McGill for fewest goals allowed and yet Paiment is firing off on his goalkeepers and seemingly allowing the skaters to play as individuals. Jalbert is supposed to be a d-man but he plays like a rover and gets caught out of position deep in the opposition end creating odd man rushes for the opposition 5 or 6 times a game. The offence is all played on the perimeter with very few shots having the potential to be goals. It's easy to defend against forwards who won't pay the price to score.
Have to agree with your synopsis of u Ottawas woes. Since the Holiday break when Ottawa was spanked by top ranked UNB the Gees have been exposed to the weaknesses you have described. Dominique Jalbert does create some exciting scoring chances. The down side as you pointed out is the too frequent odd man chances as he is caught out of position. Big game against UQTR this afternoon.

clear the track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:28 AM
  #240
RED ARMY EAST
Registered User
 
RED ARMY EAST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 630
vCash: 500
UNB vs PEI

Last night's game Was a complete gong show. PEI took full advantage ( for the second game this year) of UNB inserting a beer league goaltender into the ring of fire against them. Panthers took a 3-1 lead in the first on a couple of pp goals. With Lacosta obviously hurting from a double groin injury and Fullerton out indefinitlely, they went to Matt Davis, who practices with the team, but plays Beer league hockey. PEI scored at will and had a 6-1 lead despite being outshot.
UNB, with an unbelievable come back tied it at 7 and outshot the Island 17-4 in the third period only to have another weak garbage goal scored on Davis with less than 2 minutes left.
UNB has a ton of injuries at the moment, some very serious. Weibe (concussion), Carroll (knee), Fullerton (knee), Denny (broken wrist), Lynes (concussion) out indefinitely. Kidd, Wright, Clendenning, Macdougall, out with serious injuries and Lacosta (double groin) now out. Lacosta could barely move during Friday's loss in Moncton. This team is extremely deep, but are going to be in tough trying to hold on to first place in the ultra-competitive AUS. You can't beat anyone in this league with a third string goaltender, so before everyone thinks that UNB has self destructed, think twice. This team is the deepest and most skilled in the Nation, but will need to get healthy before the University Cup and most important of all, need a healthy Travis Fullerton to defend it's 2011 National title.

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:01 PM
  #241
blackmarketmob
Registered User
 
blackmarketmob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Waterloo/Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 851
vCash: 500
Laurier splits weekend

Laurier split this weekend. Lost an entertaining game 5-3 on Friday, played at the Sleeman Centre in Guelph (home arena of the OHL Guelph Storm) at University of Guelph's annual homecoming winter event. It was my first time at the Sleeman centre which was an intimate arena compared to the only other 2 OHL arena's I have been to, and had a good atmoshphere with 1500 people attending. It was really fun to see OUA hockey with more of a major junior type of atmosphere. Laurier held 1-0, 2-1, and 3-2 leads, and played quite well. Laurier hit a post and crossbar, and Guelph had two somewhat flukey goals, trickling in and one deflecting off a Laurier defenceman's foot on a broken play, before scoring an empty netter. Laurier very easily could have won that game.

On Saturday, Laurier downed Windsor 4-2 (one EN goal) in a chippy but closely played affair. Shots were almost identical. Neither team really played better than the other (Windsor may have had a bit more offensive zone possession), but Laurier was lucky enough to score the go ahead goal to make it 3-2 before adding an empty net goal. Highlights:


blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:13 PM
  #242
Rob
Registered User
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,004
vCash: 500
Acadia 1 STFX 0 - Axemen now take sole position of first place in the AUS.
X is still just one point ahead of Dal. The teams meet twice before the end of the season including their final game.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 05:59 PM
  #243
WilcoxHound
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 246
vCash: 500
UQTR 6 - UOttawa 3
OK so maybe the Gee Gees are not yet competitive with the top teams but that is no excuse for playing like a dog that has had the fight beaten out of it. They played today like they wished they could be anywhere else but on the ice. Aaron Barton was pulled from the nets 1 minute into the 2nd period not because he wasn't playing well but because the team in front of him made a habit of missing defensive assignments and exposing him to high percentage scoring chances. This team doesn't battle, they play with no pride, no conviction and no desire to earn a win as a team. I think that there is obviously an elephant in the dressing room that is negatively affecting team chemistry and it's up to the team to unite and beat that elephant out of the room. It's not enough to be a team of friends, that doesn't work, you have to be a team of warriors.

WilcoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:13 PM
  #244
SnipeShow91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 591
vCash: 500
Nipissing Lakers 3 @ RMC Paladins 2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv9XJ...ature=youtu.be

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 07:00 PM
  #245
RED ARMY EAST
Registered User
 
RED ARMY EAST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Acadia 1 STFX 0 - Axemen now take sole position of first place in the AUS.
X is still just one point ahead of Dal. The teams meet twice before the end of the season including their final game.
Moncton and UNB also have a game in hand on the Axemen.

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:24 AM
  #246
AUS Fan
Registered User
 
AUS Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At the Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
Moncton and UNB also have a game in hand on the Axemen.
Yes, and they play each other on the 11th.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:03 PM
  #247
SnipeShow91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 591
vCash: 500
Rams 4, Paladins 0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj41r...1&feature=plcp

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:39 PM
  #248
Island Husky
Registered User
 
Island Husky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kensington PEI
Country: Canada
Posts: 429
vCash: 500
Snipeshow did you happen to see the Army vs AirForce game on TV this past weekend? What calibre would you rate these two as? I thought it was quite fast, looked faster than CIS, but that can be deceiving; less physical play, turns into a scrimmage. Not sure what thread this should be on either, just figured you would know. Has the Army/RMC game taken place this season yet? what were the results of the last one?

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 02:12 AM
  #249
SnipeShow91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Husky View Post
Snipeshow did you happen to see the Army vs AirForce game on TV this past weekend? What calibre would you rate these two as? I thought it was quite fast, looked faster than CIS, but that can be deceiving; less physical play, turns into a scrimmage. Not sure what thread this should be on either, just figured you would know. Has the Army/RMC game taken place this season yet? what were the results of the last one?
It goes down next saturday at Westpoint. We have U of T and Nipissing on the road this weekend.

I didnt catch the game just yet. We had trouble with other teams in Army's conference with video (wouldnt return our calls) but I texted Adam Shell and he PVR'ed the game. It was on CBS College Sports network. So I should be working on that video VERY soon and going through it so the boys can prepare properly. We scouted them over christmas. They are just like us from first glance, but just a tad bigger and use a bigger bench. Referee's are going to be the issue. McGill's coach, Kelly Nobes, used to coach RMC and Army would get MANY 5 on 3s early in the game. Last game happened in Kingston, 3-3 tie in 2006.

But we are looking forward to it. Leaving Kingston thursday night after our Carr-Harris Cup game against Queen's

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 01:53 PM
  #250
UNB Bruins Fan
Registered User
 
UNB Bruins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,916
vCash: 500
Instead of starting a new thread I will just stick this in here for now...game times have been announced for Nationals.

Thursday - 2pm and 7pm (UNB's first game)
Friday - 2pm and 7pm
Saturday - 11:30 am and 4:30 pm (which I am sure will raise some eyebrows)
Sunday - 8pm

The release also says Rogers will be carrying the final two games, which would mean only the late semi-final and not both of them like they usually do. SSN will have all the games though.

http://www.varsityreds.com/news/2012...127120458.aspx

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.