HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2011-12 CIS Regular Season & Results

Old
02-09-2012, 07:31 AM
FreddtFoyle

vCash: 500
Coach Ryan made a point at the second intermission of telling the STU players that everyone in the AUC expected them to lose it in the third period so to go out and prove them wrong. They all did except for Chris Morehouse. I guess Coach Peddle didn't have the same conversation with the X-Men on Saturday.

UNB brought their A game last night. Ryan said as much. STU got off their game plan that's worked for them in the past. Plus the V-Reds were actually looking out for the stretch passes to Sanza and Bonneau, and Sanza got a lot of physcial attention from Harty and company. Charlie Lavigne played a great game, maybe his best against the V-Reds who were getting a lot more shots from close in and less from the perimeter as in previous meetings. I do love watching Lavigne when he's at the top of his game.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 11:57 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
There is something wrong with X. I would never underestimate them but come on....they lost to STU 4 times. They have a week to figure out provided they can get one more point.
While it is obvious, given the point of the season, that St. FX is not that great (or even good) this year they still scare me for two reasons: 1) They have lost a ton of one goal games this year, which tells me they have been getting quite unlucky and are probably a bit better than their record indicates, and 2) Even though he isn't having a good year Perricone has shown in the past that he is capable of putting up very good numbers at this level, and steal some games if needed.

I am still weary of facing them...and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they beat the 3rd seed in the first round of the playoffs.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:15 PM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post

Its puzzling that X could basically come back with most players intact from their solid team of the past couple of seasons and add a player of the calabre of Mike Kirkpatrick, and slump like they have. They must really miss those couple guys they did lose
To reiterate: I wonder if the "loss" of Norm Batherson plays any role in this. He was popular with the players and could be a buffer between them and Brad. Now that he is no longer there, that safety valve is gone. Throw in high maintenance guys like Swan and a couple of losses and things can get out of control pretty quick.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 03:00 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
To reiterate: I wonder if the "loss" of Norm Batherson plays any role in this. He was popular with the players and could be a buffer between them and Brad. Now that he is no longer there, that safety valve is gone. Throw in high maintenance guys like Swan and a couple of losses and things can get out of control pretty quick.
Someone at the Beav was saying the same thing last weekend. Batherson has a very good hockey mind and is really missed on that team. Peddle is no slouch by any means but Norm was an important piece of the puzzle for that team.

Quote:
While it is obvious, given the point of the season, that St. FX is not that great (or even good) this year they still scare me for two reasons: 1) They have lost a ton of one goal games this year, which tells me they have been getting quite unlucky and are probably a bit better than their record indicates, and 2) Even though he isn't having a good year Perricone has shown in the past that he is capable of putting up very good numbers at this level, and steal some games if needed.
With that same logic STU had 12 games decided by one goal (including 2 with EN) plus five wins. 17 games we were just that close, 17 of 26. X also had 12 one goal losses (inc 2 with EN)

STUTOMMIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 09:50 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Western

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
Should have cut their arms off:

Western was shocked 9-5 tonight in Oshawa. They held a 2-1 lead after the first period, but gave up 4 goals in the second and third period.

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 10:38 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
Western was shocked 9-5 tonight in Oshawa. They held a 2-1 lead after the first period, but gave up 4 goals in the second and third period.
Wow, I though McGill losing to Carleton was a poor showing - this is far worse. Statically, this should never have happened. UOIT is C- and #33 on Hollywood's list (out of 34) and UWO is #7.

Everyone loves to play #1 tough, just for this reason - they can say they were the giant killer.

The #1 ranking is now becoming the kiss of failure - who's next UMan.

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:29 AM
northvanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Wow, I though McGill losing to Carleton was a poor showing - this is far worse. Statically, this should never have happened. UOIT is C- and #33 on Hollywood's list (out of 34) and UWO is #7.
I've followed the Mustangs hockey team since 1982, my frosh year at Western. That year, despite going 20-4-0, they lost a game to U of T 16-6 (the Varsity Blues were an absolute powerhouse at that time although somehow managed to lose the OUAA championship to Laurier that year). Since that time, I cannot think of a single instance when the Mustangs have given up 9 or more goals in CIAU/CIS competition. Absolutely stunning that his could happen against UOIT, one of only 3 OUA teams that will not be in the playoffs. I know this was a meaningless game in the standings for both teams, but a showing like that must have Singer feeling concerned going into the playoffs.

northvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:55 AM
thook

Quote:
Originally Posted by northvanman View Post
I've followed the Mustangs hockey team since 1982, my frosh year at Western. That year, despite going 20-4-0, they lost a game to U of T 16-6 (the Varsity Blues were an absolute powerhouse at that time although somehow managed to lose the OUAA championship to Laurier that year). Since that time, I cannot think of a single instance when the Mustangs have given up 9 or more goals in CIAU/CIS competition. Absolutely stunning that his could happen against UOIT, one of only 3 OUA teams that will not be in the playoffs. I know this was a meaningless game in the standings for both teams, but a showing like that must have Singer feeling concerned going into the playoffs.
Same thing happened to Lakehead a few weeks back. Uoit has this odd ability to play the top teams hard and beat them once or twice a year.....

thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Rob

UNB locked up first place.
SMU and Moncton in a tie for second (Huskies have a better GF/GA).
Acadia and UPEI in a tie for third (Panthers won season series).
X wrapped up the last playoff spot.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 10:51 PM
Island Husky

Unb 4 upei 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
UNB locked up first place.
SMU and Moncton in a tie for second (Huskies have a better GF/GA).
Acadia and UPEI in a tie for third (Panthers won season series).
X wrapped up the last playoff spot.
But Moncton has more wins, so if they both win tomorrow, Moncton will have 19, SMU 18, and that will put them in second before goal differential will it not?

Good game tonight, thought UNB carried it, shots should reflect that, 42-19 halfway through the third, forget the final tally. PEI given two pp's in last five minutes, score 3-1 UNB, obviously they didn't capitalize, they played their typical game I find, good old fashioned PEI hack and whack, but start to get dominated, then come back with a great chance and score. They got the chances tonight, but Fullerton was solid, very solid, he had a super game. UNB back to the old plays I have missed for awhile, moving the puck well, and Bailey, what can I say? MVP in my mind, easy. PEI finally lost it in the last couple of minutes, MacIssac ( Mike of course) took a ten minute after protesting something and was shown the gate. At least you never heard him, unlike assistant coach Kris MacDonald who, at the instant UNB scored their empty netter off a face off in their own end, launched into a tirade against the Ref for some injustice by accident or design not sure which, neither I am sure when, for the puck was dropped and UNB sent her down the ice square in the middle, took all of three seconds from puck drop, so I don't know what was done in that period. In any case, MacDonald was instantly motioned toward the gate, as in Go through it and do not return, after which he stepped on the ice and kept it up, finger jabbing and roaring louder than the first time. But that's not all, he stepped back into the bench, proceeded down to the other door, stepped back out, then launched tirade number 2, and thereupon received a Gross Misconduct. All the while the coach stood there and looked down at the carpet sullenly, by God and sonny Je... If the AD wasn't down there to kick his ass all over hell, I would be. (As head coach that is, it is hard enough to witness it as a fan). All these alumni guys there tonight, to present gifts to graduating players, a crowd of 1400 or so, a pile of kids, Teaching them everything you know coach? on top of a very well played game. I wonder what was so important, I'd love to haul his ass into the Pediatric Ward at the QEH and show him that very very young cancer patient who positively lit up when he was shown the Stanley Cup today. So excited he could not speak, he just glowed, and this kid is in bad shape my friends. Thought I'd put it into perspective, that is all I could think about on the way home, and I apologize on behalf of the Island to the UNB squad who also bore witness to that nonsense.

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:16 PM
hyster110

Quote:
there are a couple facts that could play into x being on the downside this year

-since the playoffs last year when pageau came back from his broken hand, peddle has run 7 defencemen. this started when chisholm was thrust into the line-up and played lights out along side donovan. since peddle didn't want to take RD out, he chose to sit one if his rarely played 4th liners. this year, the defence has looked somewhat disjointed and the pairings have been juggled constantly.

- X doesn't really have a functional 4th line. other than stephens as the constant center, and moving simms up from defence (where he got no playing time), it has been a shuffle of new Jr A recruits. X doesn't have a 4th line they that can use on a consistent basis, i believe this has hurt them

- its become apparent there is no competition for jobs other than the 4th line. the guarentee of playing time has seems to let the players become to comfortable in their roles. i like what UNB has done, having a large team with tons of competition for jobs on a weekend to weekend basis

just my two cents

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:24 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Husky View Post
But Moncton has more wins, so if they both win tomorrow, Moncton will have 19, SMU 18, and that will put them in second before goal differential will it not?
The first tiebreaker is head-to-head I believe...they both won twice but one of Moncton's was in OT...so SMU got 5 points (2-1-1) off of Moncton this season and Moncton only got 4 (2-2-0) off of STU.

Old
02-11-2012, 07:43 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
The first tiebreaker is head-to-head I believe...they both won twice but one of Moncton's was in OT...so SMU got 5 points (2-1-1) off of Moncton this season and Moncton only got 4 (2-2-0) off of STU.
Correct.

Total Goals is used during the year for placement in the standings (because not everyone has played everyone else or the same number of games), but head-to-head is used for seeding.

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 08:46 AM
RED ARMY EAST

X

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
there are a couple facts that could play into x being on the downside this year

-since the playoffs last year when pageau came back from his broken hand, peddle has run 7 defencemen. this started when chisholm was thrust into the line-up and played lights out along side donovan. since peddle didn't want to take RD out, he chose to sit one if his rarely played 4th liners. this year, the defence has looked somewhat disjointed and the pairings have been juggled constantly.

- X doesn't really have a functional 4th line. other than stephens as the constant center, and moving simms up from defence (where he got no playing time), it has been a shuffle of new Jr A recruits. X doesn't have a 4th line they that can use on a consistent basis, i believe this has hurt them

- its become apparent there is no competition for jobs other than the 4th line. the guarentee of playing time has seems to let the players become to comfortable in their roles. i like what UNB has done, having a large team with tons of competition for jobs on a weekend to weekend basis

just my two cents
In regards to X, it's interesting to hear from someone that follows them. Many have made reference to the inconsistent and poor results of ST FX during this years regular season. Many AUS followers also realize that this is a team capable of knocking off any team in this league, if they get back to the level of hockey that they played in last years CIS and AUS playoffs. As you stated, there may be reasons for the poor results this year, but it's now that matters most. If they get it together, they become a dangerous opponent for anyone in the country!
Would like to hear from you more often in regards to your news on X.

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Island Husky

Upei 5 stu 0

A throng at the game, over 3000 I'd say. Tough game, must have been hot down there at ice level, but both sides played hard, much better than the exhibitions I have seen in that building. Good to see the huge crowd, but today is Hockey Day or whatever, so there are lots there that won't be normally. Not much to report on, lacked last night's intensity but not too bad. PEI just scored steadily including one late in the third to make it 5. A few 2 and tens that was the extent of the rough stuff. Desousa cranked two guys in a row early in the first. Hard to see the names on the back, guess I was standing too far away with the netting in the way. Whereas I know PEI by numbers anyway, I didn't know STU's, I see that 71 and I still think Dave Gilmour. Not a program to be found, I didn't see Randy Cameron all game. Collier played for STU. Think Devin Praught got three assists, he played well before the hometown crowd.

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:29 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Husky View Post
Not a program to be found, I didn't see Randy Cameron all game. Collier played for STU. Think Devin Praught got three assists, he played well before the hometown crowd.
Cameron left the UNB game on Wednesday with an injury.

Old
02-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Rob

AUS:
UNB 4 Moncton 1
UPEI 5 STU 0
SMU 2 Acadia 0
STFX 5 Dal 4

UNB didn't sit back in their game against Moncton. Strong win heading into the playoffs. SMU secured their first round bye in their game.

OUS:
York 2 Western 1

Watched the later part of this game on SSN. I guess this was the Mustangs first loss at home all season. Didn't seem to be much intensity in this game.
(excellent video quality on the feed.)

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

Can someone post the playoff schedule?

Penguins23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:42 PM
AUS Fan

Playoff sked is not out yet. Usually Wed-Fri-Sun. Should be out in the morning on the AUS site. I'm sure someone will post it.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 05:13 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Watched the later part of this game on SSN. I guess this was the Mustangs first loss at home all season. Didn't seem to be much intensity in this game.
(excellent video quality on the feed.)
Mustangs TV are good and seeing them up close the first game of the season in the press box was great....OTHER than the fact they made fun of RMC team, the school itself, our jerseys, the fact one of our players (Alex Pym) wears a cage (hes going to be a fighter pilot so he needs his eyes) just really unprofessional. I have no issue with SSN people hyping up their own team (Concordia, Carleton) cause its the schools production, but low when you make fun of the opponents.

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 07:56 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Playoff sked is not out yet. Usually Wed-Fri-Sun. Should be out in the morning on the AUS site. I'm sure someone will post it.
I guess the Wednesday thing is just a "suggested start". Here I thought it was an AUS "standard" or "rule". For the second year in a row the quarter-finals have been pushed to a staggered Thursday-Friday start and could creep into Monday.

Thu. February 16th StFX @ Moncton 7:00 PM
Sat. February 18th Moncton @ StFX 7:00 PM
Mon. February 20th StFX @ Moncton 7:00 PM (if necessary)

Fri. February 17th Acadia @ UPEI 7:00 PM
Sun. February 19th UPEI @ Acadia 7:00 PM
Mon. February 20th Acadia @ UPEI 7:00 PM (if necessary)

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:25 AM
WilcoxHound

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
Mustangs TV are good and seeing them up close the first game of the season in the press box was great....OTHER than the fact they made fun of RMC team, the school itself, our jerseys, the fact one of our players (Alex Pym) wears a cage (hes going to be a fighter pilot so he needs his eyes) just really unprofessional. I have no issue with SSN people hyping up their own team (Concordia, Carleton) cause its the schools production, but low when you make fun of the opponents.
I find this disturbing that anyone representing any school would stoop so low as to ridicule any opponent but especially RMC. RMC has no choice but to select players from the student body and none of those are recruited for the sole purpose of playing on their hockey team like all other CIS schools. The graduates of RMC will serve our country and in battle if necessary. I would expect that those that poked fun at the team, the school and those great traditional jersies are no more than immature bullies who would run the other way at the first sign of aggression, exposing them for the cowards that they are. May RMC play hard in the CIS, you guys are more than welcome in my league.

WilcoxHound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:12 AM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoxHound View Post
I find this disturbing that anyone representing any school would stoop so low as to ridicule any opponent but especially RMC. RMC has no choice but to select players from the student body and none of those are recruited for the sole purpose of playing on their hockey team like all other CIS schools. The graduates of RMC will serve our country and in battle if necessary. I would expect that those that poked fun at the team, the school and those great traditional jersies are no more than immature bullies who would run the other way at the first sign of aggression, exposing them for the cowards that they are. May RMC play hard in the CIS, you guys are more than welcome in my league.
We actually recruit junior A players. They all arent walk ons. We only had 1 this year. We have one guy with WHL experience, 3rd string goalie has OHL experience and another guy played in the Q. But yeah, couldnt agree more with that statement. Like look at UNB's guys. They have the top team in the nation, havent heard them ONCE bash another team, in fact, they put over UNB's opponents.

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 03:57 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Wow...sound like a bunch of d**** IMO.

Old
02-13-2012, 04:51 AM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
We actually recruit junior A players. They all arent walk ons. We only had 1 this year. We have one guy with WHL experience, 3rd string goalie has OHL experience and another guy played in the Q. But yeah, couldnt agree more with that statement. Like look at UNB's guys. They have the top team in the nation, havent heard them ONCE bash another team, in fact, they put over UNB's opponents.
Yeah, UNB's webcast guys are pretty good and try to keep things balanced. The colour guy is a good fellow and has a knack of staying neutral or pumping up the opposition if needed.

STUTOMMIES is offline   Reply With Quote