HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2011-12 CIS Regular Season & Results

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-21-2011, 12:23 AM
  #101
UNB Bruins Fan
Registered User
 
UNB Bruins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post

And UNB Bruins Fan, I still don't know where you got that we 'know how to beat UNB' and it doesn't matter, but fact is every team KNOWS how to beat any other team, just knowing how and executing it isn't exactly the same.
I don't know where it came from earlier. I didn't originally say it, hence why I put it in quotes.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 07:19 AM
  #102
cishockeyfan
Registered User
 
cishockeyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 606
vCash: 500
That "we know now how to beat UNB" comment came from me earlier

I don't remember exactly who said it, not a big deal now anyways, I got a Tweet Re-Tweeted on my Twitter feed, some Moncton Player after their home loss to UNB (6-3 in Moncton) was interviewed by someone and said it, presumably because of the Good third period Moncton had that night when they fired 20 Shots in the 3rd Period. i dont follow any Moncton Guys on twitter, but I follow a number of people that have something to do with UNB Hockey in one way or another and they Retweeted it

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:42 AM
  #103
mikeandI
Registered User
 
mikeandI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 180
vCash: 500
can one of you cis followers tell me how to locate this RPI list that is used to rank CIS teams
and maybe explain how it works and do you like it?

mikeandI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 11:09 AM
  #104
FreddtFoyle
Registered User
 
FreddtFoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandI View Post
can one of you cis followers tell me how to locate this RPI list that is used to rank CIS teams
and maybe explain how it works and do you like it?
Rob Pettapiece, one of the contributing editors at the CISBlog.ca is the guy who does the unofficial RIP rankings. His spreadsheet is below:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...EE&hl=en#gid=3

If on the bottom of that Google spreadsheet you click on the "Explanations" tab you'll get the info for each of the variables.

It is essentially based on the SRS, or Simple Ranking System, which Rob has described as: "SRS adjusts each team's average margin of victory based on the average margin of victory of their opponents; can be thought of as "goals better than the average team.""

My issue with the RPI is that too much emphasis is based on a strength of schedule rank that is too subjective -- there is no interlock in CIS hockey so how can you truly compare McGill's opponents to UNB's mathematically, when we know from experience that McGill plays in the weakest (least competitive top to bottom) division is the CIS - OUA East. Why should McGill get a strength of schedule rank of 1 and UNB 7? That just does not match reality.


Last edited by FreddtFoyle: 11-21-2011 at 11:15 AM.
FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 01:01 PM
  #105
SnipeShow91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
My issue with the RPI is that too much emphasis is based on a strength of schedule rank that is too subjective -- there is no interlock in CIS hockey so how can you truly compare McGill's opponents to UNB's mathematically, when we know from experience that McGill plays in the weakest (least competitive top to bottom) division is the CIS - OUA East. Why should McGill get a strength of schedule rank of 1 and UNB 7? That just does not match reality.
have you not seen the OUA east standings or scores....its probably the most competitive its been for a very long time. Even us at RMC are in games that we shouldnt and every team in the conference has improved. Look at Queens...they were 4th then after 1 or 2 losses dropped to 9th. Lots of games are close and going to OT and shootouts and now you cant afford to lose ANY games cause teams are getting 1 point for a loss. Its a battle every night.

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 02:29 PM
  #106
WilcoxHound
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 243
vCash: 500
I must disagree, the OUA East is not the less competitive league this season, as of now that honour goes to OUA West. One victory in the East can move a team ahead 2 or 3 positions in the standings. There is good parity in the league this season and no team can take a game off.

WilcoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 02:42 PM
  #107
FreddtFoyle
Registered User
 
FreddtFoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,357
vCash: 500
True. Maybe I shouldn't have said "least competitive" when referring to the OUA-East and instead said "traditionally with fewest teams with chance to crack Top 10". And then I might be wrong again, as it is true that the OUA West is really off this season.

Whatever the case, there is no chance (for me) that McGill should have a strength of schedule ranking of "1" and UNB should have a ranking of "7". How does this reflect the fact that the AUS has won the last three University Cups, and five of the last eight, with Alberta winning the other three? That is 0-for-8 for the OUA East or West.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:05 PM
  #108
AUS Fan
Registered User
 
AUS Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At the Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,235
vCash: 500
It has been said "that figures don't lie, but liars can figure".
Something that is based entirely on statistics and formulae will only reflect the numbers without accounting for intangibles. The "best" team will skate around the AUC in March.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 02:59 PM
  #109
SnipeShow91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 584
vCash: 500
RMC 3 @ UQTR 8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkX34jA4Nkg

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 05:15 PM
  #110
blackmarketmob
Registered User
 
blackmarketmob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Waterloo/Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 836
vCash: 500
Putting McGill as number 1 for strength of schedule is a joke, seeing as how every team in the CW and the AUS has a guarenteed tougher schedule. Regardless of how close the OUA East is, no doubt McGill struggles to post 24 win seasons if they play UNB, SMU, UPEI etc on a nightly basis. I cannot follow the RPI system at all as Foyle mentioned, as the teams that are listed with the most difficult schedules never seem to line up with what all followers know to be the truth. McGill's record in the OUA East puts them typically winning 80-85% of the time, and they are I believe below .500 against the CW and AUS in the past 3-4 years. I do not know how that translates into the toughest schedule, if the teams they consistenly lose to are in the other divisions which they do not play against in regular season play. McGill's coach Kelly Nobes has specifically mentioned that McGill makes the trips out east because they do not see that level of play during the regular season.

That being said, the OUA East this year has taken a large step forward, the OUA West does not appear to be as strong top to bottom, as the crossover games this year illustrated, with the East taking the series.


Last edited by blackmarketmob: 11-24-2011 at 10:00 PM.
blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 06:38 AM
  #111
cishockeyfan
Registered User
 
cishockeyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 606
vCash: 500
Pish Posh, I take all rankings with a grain of salt. Theyre fun to look at, but in the end, worry about your opponents you play and win your games. The CIS as a whole in each Conference is stronger than ever this year it seems each Conference is competitive Top to Bottom this year, Major Parity and thats a great thing for the product on the Ice, it will make for a Great University Cup this year

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 07:41 PM
  #112
Rob
Registered User
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,966
vCash: 500
AUS:

Acadia 4 STFX 3 (ot)

SMU 4 DAL 3 (ot)

UNB 5 STU 3

-Caught some of this on the stream. STU had a 3-0 lead going into the 3rd period. Gave up three straight shorthanded goals before UNB took the lead for good. UNB actually got a fourth shorthanded goal with the empty netter. Someone will have to check the record books on that one.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 09:18 PM
  #113
lakeheadu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 84
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
Question for you since you're another OUA team. How many refs are used in your games, 1 or 2? We usually only have 1 but had 2 tonight. I'm curious if 2 is the norm elsewhere in the OUA or if the entire OUA was trying out the 2 man system tonight/this weekend or if it was just us. Let me know. Thanks!

lakeheadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 09:22 PM
  #114
blackmarketmob
Registered User
 
blackmarketmob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Waterloo/Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeheadu View Post
Question for you since you're another OUA team. How many refs are used in your games, 1 or 2? We usually only have 1 but had 2 tonight. I'm curious if 2 is the norm elsewhere in the OUA or if the entire OUA was trying out the 2 man system tonight/this weekend or if it was just us. Let me know. Thanks!
It seems to be on and off. About half the games I went to this year were 1 ref, and half were the 2 ref system. I am a fan of the 2 ref games. They seem to miss less and make calls with more consistency. Alot of stuff goes on behind the play which holds up the ref and can lead to missed calls with the 1 ref system. I hope we see more of it.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 09:27 PM
  #115
AUS Fan
Registered User
 
AUS Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At the Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,235
vCash: 500
Decent effort by Dal tonight, but the point will not get them in the playoffs this year.

Dal is done for this half, SFX at ACA on Sun and at SMU on Wed and SMU at ACA on Fri.

Vandall missing again.
Breault did not wear the 'A' this year, but did last year. I was mistaken earlier. Don't know why he is not wearing a letter this year. His choice or coach's??
Breault was sick last Saturday at SFX and didn't play.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 09:29 PM
  #116
RED ARMY EAST
Registered User
 
RED ARMY EAST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 619
vCash: 500
Stu/unb

What happened to the Tommies? I had to leave after 2 and was shocked to hear that UNB came back. They (STU) were outplayed up until that point, but were very opportunistic (3-0) and had great goaltending from Lavigne, unlike Lacosta.
UNB had put a ton of pressure on the tommies backend, but were unable to fiinish.
The tommies are much better than the OHT top 10 indicates and play in the toughest conference in the country from top down!

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 09:43 PM
  #117
FreddtFoyle
Registered User
 
FreddtFoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
What happened to the Tommies? I had to leave after 2 and was shocked to hear that UNB came back. They (STU) were outplayed up until that point, but were very opportunistic (3-0) and had great goaltending from Lavigne, unlike Lacosta.
UNB had put a ton of pressure on the tommies backend, but were unable to fiinish.
The tommies are much better than the OHT top 10 indicates and play in the toughest conference in the country from top down!
STU coach Troy Ryan thought his team was in trouble right from the start of the third period. Too much time in second intermission to think of 3-0 lead and forget what worked in second period. They got away from that desperate hockey when they had all that power play time. UNB is a championship team and proved that right now they are tougher mentally than the rebuilding Tommies.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 10:19 PM
  #118
lakeheadu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 84
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarketmob View Post
It seems to be on and off. About half the games I went to this year were 1 ref, and half were the 2 ref system. I am a fan of the 2 ref games. They seem to miss less and make calls with more consistency. Alot of stuff goes on behind the play which holds up the ref and can lead to missed calls with the 1 ref system. I hope we see more of it.
Interesting. I have seen it less than 5 times in the past decade it seems. I think this was the first regular season game here that two refs have been used. The guy from out of town seemed to make every call and while it benefited us more so than you guys, it ruined the flow and the game in my opinion. It was getting frustrating to watch. Probably 60-70% of the penalties were legit calls but there were definitely a few that didn't need to be called.

Your team didn't seem to have much jump tonight after the first 10-15 minutes. They had a good scoring chance or two early and then got two really good ones short handed, but Dupuis stopped them both as well as a penalty shot. We seemed to take over in the 2nd and then the 3rd was extremely boring as both sides were just coasting. There was not much hitting, possibly partially due to the tight calls being made.

lakeheadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 11:40 PM
  #119
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan
 
Hollywood3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
What happened to the Tommies? I had to leave after 2 and was shocked to hear that UNB came back. They (STU) were outplayed up until that point, but were very opportunistic (3-0) and had great goaltending from Lavigne, unlike Lacosta.
UNB had put a ton of pressure on the tommies backend, but were unable to fiinish.
The tommies are much better than the OHT top 10 indicates and play in the toughest conference in the country from top down!
The Tommies have been hurt by losing twice to Dalhousie.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 03:08 AM
  #120
SnipeShow91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeheadu View Post
Question for you since you're another OUA team. How many refs are used in your games, 1 or 2? We usually only have 1 but had 2 tonight. I'm curious if 2 is the norm elsewhere in the OUA or if the entire OUA was trying out the 2 man system tonight/this weekend or if it was just us. Let me know. Thanks!
Each team gets 4 home games with the 2 man system to try it out. AUS does 2 man no matter what. We've had it twice (Tonight against UQTR and i think the other one was UOIT). But we had it a bunch of times on the road.

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 03:12 AM
  #121
SnipeShow91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 584
vCash: 500
Not as exciting as STU/UNB.....

UQTR 5 @ RMC 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRL3ZR_Jvk4

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 12:10 PM
  #122
lakeheadu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 84
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
Each team gets 4 home games with the 2 man system to try it out. AUS does 2 man no matter what. We've had it twice (Tonight against UQTR and i think the other one was UOIT). But we had it a bunch of times on the road.
Ok, thanks. I guess we'll see how it works tonight but I wasn't impressed last night. I'm assuming they will do it again because it's unlikely they would have flown a ref in for just one night

lakeheadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 12:24 PM
  #123
SnipeShow91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeheadu View Post
Ok, thanks. I guess we'll see how it works tonight but I wasn't impressed last night. I'm assuming they will do it again because it's unlikely they would have flown a ref in for just one night
Its okay here, the quality of reffing we get in Kingston isint great and we seem to rotate through 4 guys it seems so its a gongshow no matter what the combo or single we get. I did retweet one of the tweets Lakehead sent out about if you fall, you get a call

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 01:21 PM
  #124
blackmarketmob
Registered User
 
blackmarketmob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Waterloo/Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeheadu View Post
Interesting. I have seen it less than 5 times in the past decade it seems. I think this was the first regular season game here that two refs have been used. The guy from out of town seemed to make every call and while it benefited us more so than you guys, it ruined the flow and the game in my opinion. It was getting frustrating to watch. Probably 60-70% of the penalties were legit calls but there were definitely a few that didn't need to be called.

Your team didn't seem to have much jump tonight after the first 10-15 minutes. They had a good scoring chance or two early and then got two really good ones short handed, but Dupuis stopped them both as well as a penalty shot. We seemed to take over in the 2nd and then the 3rd was extremely boring as both sides were just coasting. There was not much hitting, possibly partially due to the tight calls being made.
Not surprising. Their tendency in the past few games have been to run up the score and continue to score if they start the game with the first goal or two, as they can capitalize a bit off the rush, or on the power play due to the other team pushing back and playing aggressively to attempt to tie the game. Unfortunately, getting down by a goal or two has been a big blow, as Laurier's offensive chances seem to come more from opportunity, and if another team plays it safer once they have a lead, Laurier has had tough times scoring. They have now been shut out in 2 of their past 3, but racked up 5 in that period against Western. Against Brock, no doubt Brock played cautiously, as Laurier got all of 13 shots. Laurier has yet to win on the road this year as well. Tough task tonight indeed.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 08:16 PM
  #125
AUS Fan
Registered User
 
AUS Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At the Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,235
vCash: 500
UPEI - UdeM

Panthers win 5-3 over the Aigles Bleus. Looking at the game sheet, both teams had 2 PP and 1 SH goal. The Panthers also added two even strength goals.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.