HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2011-12 CIS Regular Season & Results

Old
11-26-2011, 10:10 PM
Rob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
Panthers win 5-3 over the Aigles Bleus. Looking at the game sheet, both teams had 2 PP and 1 SH goal. The Panthers also added two even strength goals.
3-0 Moncton after the first. I guess three goal leads are not safe in the AUS.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Rob

STFX 4 Acadia 1

Only watched the third period which turned out to have all the scroing. After Acadia took a 1-0 lead STFX scored three goals on three straight defensive gaffs by the Axemen. Added an empty netter with a minute left.

I'm predicting that X will have a much stronger second half.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 05:34 PM
SnipeShow91

Concordia Stingers whopped us (RMC) 11-4.....refs were absolutley brutal as there were many scrums after the whistle, even during line changes, a fight between Justin Lacey of RMC and Sean Blunden of Concordia and guys taking runs at each other. Ron Stakes and the other referee named Moore just were a travesty out there last night. Highlights will be up tomorrow

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 06:40 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Big win for X today....really needed that one. Who could have predicted they would be in the lower half of the league at this point in the season?

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 03:31 PM
SnipeShow91

Stingers 11, Paladins 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEOdIJGx-7M

Old
11-30-2011, 09:42 AM
timbitca

DalPlex Memorial Arena to be demolished:

http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/loca...down-next-year

Good news is we won't have to deal with the Dalplex's quirky locker rooms/shower rooms, bad news is we get to deal with the Forum twice as often. Kind of odd that the DalPlex will be hosting the AUS Women's Championships in March and then shut down the month after.

Last edited by timbitca: 11-30-2011 at 09:50 AM.
timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 09:59 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
DalPlex Memorial Arena to be demolished:

http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/loca...down-next-year

Good news is we won't have to deal with the Dalplex's quirky locker rooms/shower rooms, bad news is we get to deal with the Forum twice as often. Kind of odd that the DalPlex will be hosting the AUS Women's Championships in March and then shut down the month after.
Crikey. I just read that piece in the Metro. But just to be a little OCD they're tearing down Memorial Arena, not the DalPlex a block or so away. While I love the idiosyncratic wooden roof I know teams hate the dressing room setup and complete lack of security to keep other athletes/students/people-off-the-street wandering through before, during and after a game.

So if you're Dal, not only are who having a nightmare season, right now it looks like you have nowhere to play hockey next season ... yet.

Last edited by FreddtFoyle: 11-30-2011 at 10:27 AM.
FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:19 AM
AUS Fan

They can't win at home, they can't win on the road, they can't find anywhere else to play.

I was talking to one of the Dal coaches on Friday and he alluded to this. I knew they were tearing down the houses in front of the rink. I have ice time Saturday morning for pick-up hockey, so I should start looking for alternatives.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:25 AM
AUS Fan

"complete lack of security"

I recall one game after Acadia won their second National Title where their room was broken into during the game and several guys lost their rings.
I have personally gone back to the room during pickup hockey and seen "undesirables" lurking around.

Old
11-30-2011, 10:45 AM
FreddtFoyle

This decision so sounds like Dal's bureaucratic reputation: instead of an albeit expensive fix, let's just tear the building down and replace it with something completely different. Sure do some fund raising, find a wealthy donor and ...
Quote:
“At this point we’re looking at a new fitness and wellness facility,” he said. The next step is to look for someone who could design the facility.

“The plan is for it to include things like physio, a cardio area, yoga studios and the like,” he said.
I sense Currie Center envy ...

By the way, the Aitken University Centre is older than Dal Memorial Arena and UNB spent a million bucks or more on the roof a year or so ago.

Old
11-30-2011, 11:03 AM
timbitca

And we put about 6M$ in renovations 2 years ago in an even older building.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 11:29 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
And we put about 6M$ in renovations 2 years ago in an even older building.
Exactly. And the JLL looks great and is more comfortable. Not only did UNB replace the roof at the AUC, at the same they also jackhammered out the concrete ice surface, dug down to the dirt and poured all now concrete put in new refrigerant piping and added new boards and glass for several million bucks above the roof repair cost.

It really steams my butt when people tear down iconic buildings, as is also the case with Mt.A and their old library - new arts centre, and take the easy (and more expensive) route rather than reinvest in their existing building stock. All in the quest apparently to avoid "deferred maintenance."

Last edited by FreddtFoyle: 11-30-2011 at 11:46 AM. Reason: deferred
Old
12-01-2011, 07:32 AM
AUS Fan

Smu 6 Sfx 4

While not as great as UNB scoring 4 shorties, SMU scored 6 straight to come back from a 4-0 first period deficit. Down four, SMU called a timeout where Stienburg had a cordial discussion with his players about their lack of intensity.
SMU scored on the PP with 3 minutes left in the period and added another PP goal early in the second. Two even strength goals were followed by another PP marker and a shortie by Pridham on a nifty pass from Fergus who finished the game with a goal and 3 helpers. SFX closed out the scoring with a 6-on-4 goal with 12 seconds remaining.

Game notes: SMU forward Stephen Johnston was rocked by Mark Louis just in front of the SMU bench in the second period. Louis was given a match for contact to the head. Looking at the video, it appeared to be a forearm or elbow, with follow-thru. I would not be suprised to see him get 6 games.

Old
12-01-2011, 09:22 AM
HabsIslesFan

Quote:

Game notes: SMU forward Stephen Johnston was rocked by Mark Louis just in front of the SMU bench in the second period. Louis was given a match for contact to the head. Looking at the video, it appeared to be a forearm or elbow, with follow-thru. I would not be suprised to see him get 6 games.
Any chance you could post the video, or know where I can find it? I was at the game last night and honestly thought that it was a clean hit, as did many people I talked to during and after the game

HabsIslesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
This decision so sounds like Dal's bureaucratic reputation: instead of an albeit expensive fix, let's just tear the building down and replace it with something completely different. Sure do some fund raising, find a wealthy donor and ...

I sense Currie Center envy ...

By the way, the Aitken University Centre is older than Dal Memorial Arena and UNB spent a million bucks or more on the roof a year or so ago.
In the case of Dal's roof - that's what you get when you build a non-standard 'stylish' roof. At least the AUC and JLL have traditional flat roofs which require no extra work to fix.

It looks like DAL & SMU will be sharing the Forum for awhile (much like UNB/STU did in the 60s/70s until the AUC was built).

"...but Crosby said a new arena is something the university could look at in the longer term."

Interesting that he used the word 'could' rather then 'will'.

If the hockey team doesn't shape-up, they could be dropped. A hockey rink consumes a big footprint - especially if you're not going to use them for something else.

I thought SMUs Alumni Rink was to be replaced and the move to the Forum was temporary? or this no longer the plan?

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 11:44 AM
HabsIslesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
I thought SMUs Alumni Rink was to be replaced and the move to the Forum was temporary? or this no longer the plan?
SMU had planned to build a new rink as well as a new health and wellness centre but I believe they fell short on their fundraising goal. They instead did some repairs to the Alumni Rink (new glass and fixed the roof) and are making major renovations to the gym and wellness centre. I am pretty sure the idea for a new rink on campus has been scrapped.

HabsIslesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 02:31 PM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsIslesFan View Post
Any chance you could post the video, or know where I can find it? I was at the game last night and honestly thought that it was a clean hit, as did many people I talked to during and after the game
It happened pretty quick, but if you watch the STEVA clip you can see Louis come up out his "crouch" and lead with his forearm/elbow. Again, very subjective, but when it is a hit to the head, the hammer will come down.

I will try and get something posted, but can't promise.

Old
12-01-2011, 02:39 PM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsIslesFan View Post
SMU had planned to build a new rink as well as a new health and wellness centre but I believe they fell short on their fundraising goal. They instead did some repairs to the Alumni Rink (new glass and fixed the roof) and are making major renovations to the gym and wellness centre. I am pretty sure the idea for a new rink on campus has been scrapped.
They (Homburg Group) have built a new wellness centre between the Tower and the rink. They did the repairs to the rink several years ago. The reason that the new rink hasn't been built is simply lack of money. With the money they were promised from Homburg ($5M) and the money left by Mr Dauphinee ($2M approx), they are short about 5-7 mil and don't want to borrow. The Dauphinee money has been there for over 7 years??? I'm sure he is rolling over in his grave, if he's not beating on the cover to get at these clowns.

Old
12-01-2011, 03:14 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Smu

Quote:
They (Homburg Group) have built a new wellness centre between the Tower and the rink. They did the repairs to the rink several years ago. The reason that the new rink hasn't been built is simply lack of money. With the money they were promised from Homburg ($5M) and the money left by Mr Dauphinee ($2M approx), they are short about
5-7 mil and don't want to borrow. The Dauphinee money has been there for over 7 years??? I'm sure
he is rolling over in his grave, if
he's not beating on the cover to get at these clowns.
Any chance at a return to Alumni Arena, or is the Forum in the long term plans?

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 04:18 PM
AUS Fan

There is no chance of playing in the old rink. I don't know if you have been there, but imagine the STU rink and shrink it by a third. Or, imagine the Rutherford, without the cattle milling about.

Old
12-01-2011, 11:14 PM
dale 1919

Quote:
There is no chance of playing in the old rink. I don't know if you have been there, but imagine the STU rink and shrink it by a third. Or, imagine the Rutherford, without the cattle milling about.
ah pithy humour! cattle milling about!! easily your best line to date!
i am still laughing well done , that red army guy is just mean, short guy?

dale 1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 06:10 PM
SnipeShow91

McGill 3, RMC 2 at 10:30 this morning for a school day game. Just so you UNB people are going to say "McGill should have crushed RMC who played with 10 forwards and 4 defensemen so they dont deserve our first place votes" we trapped the crap out of them and Matthew Beirnes played an amazing game. Plus its 10:30 in the morning. For RMC not a big deal cause theyre up at 6am anyways for PT. Highlights up at some point.

Old
12-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Island Husky

UdeM 4 UPEI 2

Good spirited game, one of the better I have seen at the McLaughlin, Moncton battled hard whole game, played very well defensively, shutting down PEI especially on turnovers, where PEI counters really well. Knox left with 3 minutes to go in first period, the bad news is he didn't play the rest of the game, but the good news is he did return. Just took a position in the middle of the bench and watched the rest of the game. Did not appear to be skating with any difficulty, so it could have been upper body???. Marion played well for Moncton, good positional goalie, made some super stops in the last few minutes, thanks to a PEI PP. Alex Wall played great for PEI I thought, a big improvement from start of the year. Carter was better than I saw previously, but still not the dominant type he could be, scored a nice first period goal to tie it at 1-1.

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 05:33 PM
SnipeShow91

RMC 2 @ McGill 3....Im sure ill get a lot of views on this one from everyone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLDL1iusxlQ

Old
12-11-2011, 08:16 AM
clear the track

Tues exhibition game

World juniors play an exhibition game against CIS all stars this Tuesday. Anyone know where these all stars come from?

clear the track is offline   Reply With Quote