HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2011-12 CIS Regular Season & Results

Old
01-07-2012, 03:16 AM
SnipeShow91

vCash: 500
RMC finally ended their losing streak with a HUGE 3-2 OT win over Ryerson. Kirk Sullivan had a hat trick and Matt Beirnes stood tall for much of the game. Rams outshot us 20-8 in the 2nd.

Big controversy in the game. RMC's Colin Cook crossed the blue line and took a flying elbow from Jason McDonaugh in the middle of the third. Colin MacLean came to the defense of Cook but McDonaugh got his gloves off before MacLean could do anything. Video being sent to the league. I daresay it was similar kind of elbow STU's Van Laren laid on the Moncton player.

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Island Husky

Upei 5 Smu 3

PEI took leads, kept surging ahead, then put an empty netter in to clinch it, the winner coming from Desousa with 2 minutes and change left in the third. SMU fought back from 2-0 and 3-2 deficits, had a glorious chance to go ahead with about four minutes to go when they were awarded a penalty shot. Oh Rancourt where are ye? MacKinnon took it, He tried five hole along the ice, without much on it at all, Parkes saved it easily, but he was hot as a furnace all night. Aside from the penalty shot, he made several other game stoppers late in the third too. Classic PEI game, they battled hard especially in the dying minutes. Carter left with an injury in the second, a collision with Wallingford, but he came back in the third. Matt Boyle took a point shot in the mouth, did not return, and is questionable for tonight.
Basically SMU would attack, battle on the boards, get several chances, not convert, PEI would counter and make more of it. The PP on which they got the winner didn't hurt either, but it was a fair call.
The bottom line is, probably always the case but very much so this year, there are no easy two points from this place anymore. I think PEI is only missing the character past teams, not uncommon in this day in age, but if they do recapture it, look out.

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 07:53 PM
STUTOMMIES

Another close one. 3 to 2 loss to Acadia. Go figure. I'm glad we are not getting blown out like the past few seasons but the close losses are tough on the nerves.

I knew Moncton was going to smoke Dalhousie.

We will beat them next week at home.

STUTOMMIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 08:43 PM
AUS Fan

UdeM over Dal 5-1. Scoreless after one, 2-0 after two. Dal scored early in the 3rd before UdeM popped three more. Kewin out for Dal; I'm assuming serving his suspension from last night's Major and Game for hitting to the head.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Rob

UNB 3 SMU 2

Tough loss for SMU as UNB scored with just 19 seconds left in the game to break the tie. SMU gave a spirited effort outplaying UNB for a lot of the game. V-Reds skill finally came through in the 3rd with two goals for the win. Dan Lacosta had his best game so far (IMHO) for the V-Reds stopping 32 of 34.
Wallingford left the game for SMU favoring his arm.

I see UPEI beat STFX 2-1. Looks like they are for real.

There is now a log jam for 2nd in the standings. Only 3 points separate Acadia from 5th place UPEI.

Last edited by Rob: 01-07-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:25 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

For the first 50 or so minutes of the SMU/UNB game I thought it was one of the worst performances from UNB I have seen in quite a while...definitely have lots of work to do before March. They looked like they had lead in their skates and spent too much time watching SMU with the puck...and they were running around way way too much. Not too often you see a team control the puck against UNB as much as SMU did tonight...they hemmed in the V-Reds in their own zone a couple times for prolonged stretches. And before that last PP goal UNB struggles with the man advantage continued...giving up a SHG and a couple other good chances. Is it just me or has UNB given up a ton of odd man chances this year, especially on the PP? That last PP was encouraging though...they need to do more of that kind of stuff IMO. Instead of blasting shots from the point try to get someone in front in position for a tip and start using slap passes and fake shots and stuff like that to throw the defence off a little bit. Honestly though, I thought they were lucky to come away with the win tonight.

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 01-07-2012 at 09:30 PM.
UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 10:21 PM
RED ARMY EAST

UNB seems to have abandoned a fourth line that can really take the physical play to the opposition. There is so much top end talent, that hard nosed forwards like Corcoran,Lee, even a Deny who has played the wing in junior and pro are not going to get a sniff!
Guys that can wear down the opposition defense and make them pay the price! (Hodgson at Nats in Moncton). Same damn stuff that we have seen for a long time on the pp, to fancy, not enough big bodies and traffic in front of the other teams net. Need more physical play out of the big forwards on this team, Macdougall, McNeil etc...!

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:35 PM
blackmarketmob

Highlight package of Laurier's 6-1 win over Brock last night:

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 05:51 PM
SnipeShow91

Toronto 3, RMC 1. 0-0 halfway through until a mistake by RMC's defensemen and Kyle Ventura capitalised. Toronto scored early in the 2nd, then Scott Domenico scored a bad goal then Toronto made it 3-1 on the PP

Old
01-10-2012, 06:37 PM
SnipeShow91

Ryerson 2 @ RMC 3 (OT) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGABv...ature=youtu.be
Varsity Blues 3 @ RMC 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ-lF...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by SnipeShow91: 01-11-2012 at 09:02 PM. Reason: new Ryerson game video
Old
01-13-2012, 08:54 PM
AUS Fan

Smu 2 Unb 1

Entertaining game tonight. SMU was fortunate that UNB hit a couple of posts but they played a gritty game. Good overall effort by SMU.

Old
01-14-2012, 01:00 AM
SnipeShow91

McGill 5, RMC 0. Shots were 57-14. Could have been a lot worse but Beirnes held the Paladins in as much as he could

Old
01-15-2012, 12:11 AM
doogie24

Went to Windsor @ UWO tonight. Western was all over Windsor early and took a 4-0 lead early in the 2nd. VanBuskirk got yanked and Savelli came in, it sparked Windsor a little as they got a few back.

Western coasted to a 4-2 win. They looked great early on, but just kind of went through the motions in the 2nd half of the game. Peters had an unreal display of skill for the 4th goal, looks like he's having a great rookie season.

It was nice to see my boy Jason Furlong get one as well, probably one of the smallest guys in this league, and willing to bet every coach would take him on their roster.

doogie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 03:23 AM
SnipeShow91

Concordia 6, RMC 1. 2 goals in the first 2 minutes on Andrew Flemming. Karnouvaris, Stingers goalie, stones Braden Casper point blank late in the first when we had pressure and that was the TSN turning point. RMC finished the game with 7 forwards not injured or kicked out and 3 defensemen

Old
01-15-2012, 07:28 AM
timbitca

UNB 4 - 5 StFX (SO)
DAL 5 - 1 U de M
ACA 3 - 1 STU
SMU 5 - 3 PEI

Couldn't have gone worse for us tonight, in our game and the rest of them. And of course we're the lucky ones to get UNB on a 2-game skid, I'm sure they'll be pleased coming into the JLL Friday night...

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, Chris Gaudet is out 4-6 weeks with a broken foot...

Last edited by timbitca: 01-15-2012 at 07:40 AM.
timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:55 AM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
UNB 4 - 5 StFX (SO)
DAL 5 - 1 U de M
ACA 3 - 1 STU
SMU 5 - 3 PEI

Couldn't have gone worse for us tonight, in our game and the rest of them. And of course we're the lucky ones to get UNB on a 2-game skid, I'm sure they'll be pleased coming into the JLL Friday night...

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, Chris Gaudet is out 4-6 weeks with a broken foot...
We play UNB on Wednesday in our Lou Chabot Memorial game. I am sure we will soften their anger somewhat before meeting you guys.

STUTOMMIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:32 AM
AUS Fan

The best team that money can buy gets one of four points in NS, while the worst team in the first half wins both road games in NB. Some of Dal's recent success has to do with having everyone back and healthy, but I'm certain a lot of it has to do with the change behind the bench. Will they make the playoffs? I don't think so. Ten games remaining against the top four teams plus SFX. I expect the X-Men to rediscover whatever it was that made them a top team last year. Dal has the potential to win a game with any of the top four, but they will have to get help from other teams against SFX. If they do make it in at the expense of SFX, it would be a stunning reversal of fortune by both teams. Dal has three games this week while SFX has two. A week from tonight we could have a clearer picture. Or not....

Old
01-15-2012, 04:13 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Aus

That's no surprise, a one goal loss at SMU and a shoot out loss for UNB at X. The top 5 teams in the AUS should be in the CIS Top ten, no question! Acadia, Moncton, UPEI,SMU and New Brunswick. This doesn't even include The X-Men. Every one of those clubs are as dangerous as any CanadaWest/OUA heavyweight. SMU had a very good recruiting class, and are looking like the team that went all the way 2 years ago, in Thunder Bay. Acadia, also with a good recruiting year and the recent addition of Moulson is very good! Both teams, extremely well coached. Moncton and UPEI have stepped it up on the recruiting and are also very dangerous. This, not including an X team that has lost little off the club that came within a hair of playing UNB in the CIS gold medal game. There is just so little margin for error in this league, due to it's stiff compete level. Any one of these teams that will join UNB at Nationals will be very well prepared and capable of winning it all. The league is that good right now!
Not taking anything a way from the other two leagues, but the success of UNB and Saint Mary's has propelled the AUS into a very competitive league almost top to bottom.

Old
01-15-2012, 04:30 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Saskatchewan vs Alberta

The two wins at home vs Alberta were huge, and separate these rivals for the time, by 4 points in the CanadaWest. Alberta outshot the hosts by 37-23 and 37-27 in both games. Was this a case of bad goaltending and a lot of luck on the side of the Huskies?

Old
01-15-2012, 07:15 PM
mikeandI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
The two wins at home vs Alberta were huge, and separate these rivals for the time, by 4 points in the CanadaWest. Alberta outshot the hosts by 37-23 and 37-27 in both games. Was this a case of bad goaltending and a lot of luck on the side of the Huskies?
judging by the way the head monkey was going crazy.....
they must have not been happy!
did you see the video footage of his snap show on holly's site
hahahaha its a blog classic

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=924594
go to last page and scroll down, very entertaining

Last edited by mikeandI: 01-16-2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: added location of video highlights
mikeandI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 03:38 PM
CanWestFan

Quote:
Both games were very entertaining. I thought the bears in both games had stronger third periods overall compared to the huskies. the huskies through and through had solid goaltending whereas the bears tenders didn't play good enough to steal a game against a team that's playing well right now. The biggest difference was then power play. Sask was 6/15 and Alberta 1/8 on the weekend. I have never seen Alberta so undisciplined before.
So as for luck, I don't think so!! The bears just ran into a team playing good hockey right now!!

CanWestFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 08:30 PM
RED ARMY EAST

A couple of interesting match ups coming up this weekend. Western and Lakehead, finally!
Manitoba and Saskatchewan, "Holley's herd" needs to win to keep pace.

Old
01-17-2012, 07:19 AM
northvanman

Quote:
A couple of interesting match ups coming up this weekend. Western and Lakehead, finally!
Manitoba and Saskatchewan, "Holley's herd" needs to win to keep pace.
Over the next three weekends, Western and Lakehead play each other 4 times. This should give a good read on where both teams are. Going into last weekend, I would have said I think Lakehead will come out ahead - but that was before they gave up 13 goals to UOIT in two games.

northvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:36 PM
SnipeShow91

McGill 5, RMC 0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksix9...ature=youtu.be

Old
01-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Rob

UNB 5 STU 1 - score pretty much indicates how the game went. Lavinge made a couple of highway robbery saves for the Tommies. Game might have been closer if STU hadn't missed a couple of open nets. Lacosta was solid for the VReds. Fullerton is out so he will be the starter for the immediate future.

ACADIA 3 DAL 2 (ot) - Acadia in second. Dal picks up an important point. Three points back of X for the last playoff spot.

Moncton 4 UPEI 2 - Aigles Bleus now in 3rd place.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote