HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs interested in Sam Gagner

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2011, 02:22 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
You forget last summer? "Bozak will hit 60 points, and is our number one center this season" was one of the most common phrases out of Leaf Nation.
Got any proof of that?

I remember a few specific posters saying that, but overall, the vast majority of Leaf posters didn't share that opinion at all.

Old
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
I'm surprised people are getting so worked up already especially in light of these five facts

1. Gagner is hurt and won't be moved until he's healthy.
2. Edmonton will likely wait to see what RNH does before they even contemplate moving Gagner.
3. Leafs will probably wait until Connolly and Lombardi are 100% and see if they can't handle the top two C slots before even contemplating bringing in a center.
4. Leafs will probably wait to make sure Jake Gardiner doesn't falter before moving Gunnarsson
5. It's Damien Cox.
This. And that is why IF Gagner is traded to the Leafs, it won't happen until next week at the very earliest. There's speculation that the Leafs will use that 1 week break between games 2 and 3 to evaluate their team and make a move if neccessary

Old
karnige
Real Life FTL

gagner is 1 tough little sob. he tries to fight and plays hard.

Old
niroopg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
I'm surprised people are getting so worked up already especially in light of these five facts

1. Gagner is hurt and won't be moved until he's healthy.
2. Edmonton will likely wait to see what RNH does before they even contemplate moving Gagner.
3. Leafs will probably wait until Connolly and Lombardi are 100% and see if they can't handle the top two C slots before even contemplating bringing in a center.
4. Leafs will probably wait to make sure Jake Gardiner doesn't falter before moving Gunnarsson
5. It's Damien Cox.
Leafs like taking injured players, it lessens the required return for the player.

Rest of the points are fair though.

Old
10-06-2011, 02:24 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyStar View Post
I like it, can't have too many diehard leaf fans on our team. Gagner's a toronto boy, while I think Gunnar's pretty underrated and is the perfect 2nd pair dman, Gagner gives an extra boost to the shootout, sick hands and vision. I'd do it.
he's a London boy. I find many people from London seem to hate the Leafs

Old
10-06-2011, 02:26 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Fourth line center on Toronto? Gagner should be second behind Grabovski.

The bottom line is that Toronto and Edmonton seem like good trading partners. If no one is willing to trade their high end players/prospects then both sides are going to have to take a player with some warts. Toronto is not getting a number one center and Edmonton is not getting a top two defenseman without including a key piece. A deal built around Gagner and Gunnerson seems to make some sense.
In your opinion...

My opinion(someone who watches the team) I'd put both Lombardi and Connolly ahead of him.... No doubt both have had injury issues, but when healthy they're both capable of 50+ points while playing in all situations..... Gagner has yet to break the 50 pt barrier and while he's not a liability, defense isn't a strength of his... Both Lombardi and Connolly are capable of playing defensive rolls and killing penalties and both are better skaters.

The Leafs have three centreman better then Gagner.

Oilers have one, maybe two defenseman better then Gunnarsson.

The Leafs need a number one centre, not another 2-3.....

Last edited by sparxx87: 10-06-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old
10-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Chips*

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
Leaf fans, learn something:
First 4 years in the league:

GP 292 (73/season)
Points 181
PPG: 0.62

GP: 291 (73/season)
Points 173
PPG: 0.6

Meanwhile your precious Kulimen played two years in the KHL after being drafted and put up a smashing 67 points over the combined NEXT TWO NHL seasons. Grabovski wasn't even an NHL regular until he turned 22/23, the same age that Gagner is now, and his GP/Points/PPG are far less, even with the age advantage.

Sorry, who is injury prone again? Why are all these top-end Leaf forwards so much better than someone who is younger and puts up better stats?

Old
10-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Joe Hallenback

I think Gunnerson should be refered to as Gunnerjesus from now on

"Lo and Behold, The Burke came down from his holy mountain of Air Canada place and spoketh to the Oiler peasants and offered them his only D, Gunnerjesus. But the heathen Oiler fans wanted more, they wanted a 1st round pick and Burke was angry and he called forth his loyal HFBoard minions to smite thy ludricrous reasoning. Thus on this day which shall be known as The Bozakian day the leafs declined any offerings from the Oiler heathers and went forward with the great prohpet Bozak as someone who has the same scoring as Gagner even though he doesn't but that is the miracle of Burke".

Old
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I don't want to part ways with Gagner, so Toronto will have to blow us away with an offer (hopefully, although I'm not Tambo)

Old
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
In your opinion...

My opinion(someone who watches the team) I'd put both Lombardi and Connolly ahead of him.... No doubt both have had injury issues, but when healthy they're both capable of 60+ points while playing in all situations..... Gagner has yet to break the 50 pt barrier and while he's not a liability, defense isn't a strength of his... Both Lombardi and Connolly are capable of playing defensive rolls and killing penalties and both are better skaters.

what are you smoking dude? Lombardi's career high was 53 points in a contract year

Gagner didn't crack 50 points in either of last 2 seasons because he only played around 65 games each season.

Old
10-06-2011, 02:31 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
In your opinion...

My opinion(someone who watches the team) I'd put both Lombardi and Connolly ahead of him.... No doubt both have had injury issues, but when healthy they're both capable of 60+ points while playing in all situations..... Gagner has yet to break the 50 pt barrier and while he's not a liability, defense isn't a strength of his... Both Lombardi and Connolly are capable of playing defensive rolls and killing penalties and both are better skaters.

right now the Oilers have 0 centers better then Gagner.. He stays unless there is an overpayment.

Leafs have 4\5 Dmen better then Gunnarson or Franson making them trade baits.

Old
10-06-2011, 02:35 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
right now the Oilers have 0 centers better then Gagner.. He stays unless there is an overpayment.

Leafs have 4\5 Dmen better then Gunnarson or Franson making them trade baits.
Debatable about 4/5 Dmen better than Gunnarsson.

I'd say no more than 3 (Phaneuf/Schenn/Liles)

Old
10-06-2011, 02:38 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
what are you smoking dude? Lombardi's career high was 53 points in a contract year

Gagner didn't crack 50 points in either of last 2 seasons because he only played around 65 games each season.
My bad, I meant 50... Connolly and Lombardi are both capable of 50+ while playing in all situations.

Gagner has NEVER topped 50.

Old
10-06-2011, 02:40 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
My bad, I meant 50... Connolly and Lombardi are both capable of 50+ while playing in all situations.

yeah but hes only 22?

Old
10-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Im Old Gregggg

gagner is overratedn

not a fan but a gagner for gunnar stop seems like it could work for both teams imo

Old
10-06-2011, 02:41 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 50
Quote:

and yet both were produced worse than Gagner in their first four years of pro....

I guess that means Gagner will be better than both Lombardi and Connolly this year.

Old
10-06-2011, 02:46 PM
exporta

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
Leaf fans, learn something:
First 4 years in the league:

GP 292 (73/season)
Points 181
PPG: 0.62

GP: 291 (73/season)
Points 173
PPG: 0.6

Meanwhile your precious Kulimen played two years in the KHL after being drafted and put up a smashing 67 points over the combined NEXT TWO NHL seasons. Grabovski wasn't even an NHL regular until he turned 22/23, the same age that Gagner is now, and his GP/Points/PPG are far less, even with the age advantage.

Sorry, who is injury prone again? Why are all these top-end Leaf forwards so much better than someone who is younger and puts up better stats?
There is a difference btw progressing since your 1st season and being stagnant.

Kessel has had multiple 60 pt seasons and 30 goals. While Gagner has never once hit 50.

Old
10-06-2011, 02:49 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohaj View Post
and yet both were produced worse than Gagner in their first four years of pro....

I guess that means Gagner will be better than both Lombardi and Connolly this year.
Maybe, maybe not?

I like Gagner, don't get me wrong... I guess I just don't value him as highly as some Oiler fans.

IMO Gagner was rushed into the NHL and thrust into a role he wasn't ready for... He could have very well plateaued given his lack of progression in his prime development years.

We'll see.

Old
10-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
The canes beat writer today said Gagner for McBain is a possibility. What do Oilers fans think of that? As a canes fan I'd go for it.

Old
10-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
The canes beat writer today said Gagner for McBain is a possibility. What do Oilers fans think of that? As a canes fan I'd go for it.
I don't know much on McBain.

Old
10-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Lottery Oilers*
Nuge is Cobra

Quote:
Oiler fans like it much more than the proposed Toronto deal. Only Toronto fans see Gunnar as a top 4 D.

Old
10-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Bozak is better than Gagner ....

Old
10-06-2011, 03:00 PM
exporta

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGrinder View Post
Gunnar averaged 18:14 last year which ranked him 144th in the leauge among defensemen.

Based only on ice time per game Gunnar is ranked slightly better than a #6 defender.
Well that's not a telling stat, as he started the season as a bottom pairing defenseman, averaging 14 mins a game.

He then moved up, when the Leafs started to win games, injuries and trades occurred. He'll be averaging 22 plus to start the season.

Old
10-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Mr Forever

Quote:
I like McBain, I'd think about it

Old
10-06-2011, 03:04 PM
Mr Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Bozak is better than Gagner ....

No reason, just a straight up fact from the heavens.

Thanks, champ.

Closed Thread