HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs interested in Sam Gagner

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsnTpoint View Post
Hemsky, Omark, Gagner

for

Schenn, Kadri, 2nd
No thank you.

Old
I am Canadian
Foreverly Hopeful

There's three players that Edmonton could use to get Schenn.. Hall, Eberle and RNH .. Now that thats out of the way we are in need of no more Schenn to Edmonton talks.

Old
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Gagner to the Leafs makes a lot of sense as it seems Edmonton has soured on this guy but I think the Oilers hurt his development by rushing him into the NHL when he could have used time in the AHL to work on the little things in his game such as faceoffs, defensive zone coverage, etc.

Nobody can deny this guy has a lot of skill and he would fit in well with the Leafs age range wise and is cap controllable.

Toronto has extra D that are also young and cap controllable that could fill Edmontons biggest area of weakness.

There is not a chance Edmonton would get a guy like Schenn for Gagner. It would be a deal centered around either Gunnar or Franson who could step right into the Oilers lineup and be cap controllable for a few seasons.

Gunnar + Bozak + 3rd rounder for Gagner + 2nd rounder?
ignorance is bliss huh?..this post is the very meaning of " talking out your @$$."

Old
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsnTpoint View Post
Call it random, call it whatever. It puts Toronto into the playoffs.
I dont think Leafs trading away Kadri + Schenn for a shot at playoffs is smart GMing

Old
10-06-2011, 10:52 AM
pspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Its not that its Gunnar per se. Its that the Oilers need more value if they are moving their best (second best at worst) center. Another 4/5/6 d-man isn't exactly what the Oil needs, we have a lot of those. Maybe a Gagner, Chorney and Plante for Aulie and Franson type deal would work, but even that I don't see Edmonton being overly excited about, it just doesn't fit the team needs.
totally agree and kind of what i was saying with Gunnar compared to EDMs current top 6

He's still a depth dman and not worth giving up Gagner for

Aulie + Gunnar or Franson is an interesting idea

I really like Aulie and hate that he is in the AHL because of Burke's love in with Komisarek. If Leafs didn't have Connolly i'd probably do that deal though.

Old
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
I'm referring to the point that he's a 3rd line centre on the worst team in the league. He won't be a good fit on a Leafs team that already has 2 3rd line centres.
I think he could slot in as the Leafs first or second line center. Gagner's not a player I would play on the third line. He's a risk for sure but he's still young. If I was Toronto I would take the chance if the price was right.

Old
MisterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom foolery View Post
this is trolling. c'mon OIL fans...let's get real here.
LOL ok whatever you say.

Old
Eskimo44

Quote:
this is trolling. c'mon OIL fans...let's get real here.
Tha's exceptional value for Schenn. I'm not saying the Leafs may not say no, but it isn't trolling. What do you think Schenn is worth? A Hall or Hopkins? Because he's not.

Old
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I think that's why people are getting this misconception, Gunnarsson one of our best all around defensemen. Infact even though Franson is in our team and probably better on the powerplay, he is better than Frason overall.
Exactly. Franson is the 7th defenseman and will be up in the press box, Gunnarsson won't be. I think both Franson and Komisarek sit before Gunnarsson does.

Old
10-06-2011, 10:53 AM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
You want another 3rd line centreman for a team that already has 2??
I think that was more to do with comparing Gagner to Steckel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Actually the fact is that Gunnarson will be fighting for a roster spot and will likely see a lot of time up in the PB. Claiming him to a top pairing Dman on another club just show ignorace. If he is going to be so great then Leafs should keep him and trade one of their other 6 Dmen.
Leafs may have interest in Gagner but EDM has no interest in another depth Dman.
Carl Gunnarsson?

The guy who would be behind only Whitney on the depth chart?

He's better then Gilbert or Smid...

And ftr, there's a lot of Leaf fans with no interest in trading Gunnarsson.... Especially for a centreman who's development was hurt by being rushed.

Let's hope they learned their lesson and don't do the same with Nugent-Hopkins.... Kid is silky smooth and certainly has the potential to be and elite player, but he has a lot to learn and the NHL isn't the best classroom.... Give him another year in Red Deer, let him dominate at the WJC and re-evaluate this time next year.

Old
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Don't kid yourself, he is.
No, he isn't. He's been one of the best Leaf defensemen over the past two years. He plays a solid, but unspectacular game, makes few mistakes in his own end, can move the puck well, and is a very smart player.

I'd take him over all but one of the defensemen on the Oilers.

Old
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoDee View Post
There's three players that Edmonton could use to get Schenn.. Hall, Eberle and RNH .. Now that thats out of the way we are in need of no more Schenn to Edmonton talks.
I think that was already pretty established, but thanks. Most Oiler fans have already recognized than Schenn is not available.

Old
10-06-2011, 10:55 AM
MisterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
I think that was more to do with comparing Gagner to Steckel.

The guy who would be behind only Whitney on the depth chart?

He's better then Gilbert or Smid...
Gunnarson's played one full season in the league, how is he better than Gilbert or Smid? I would take both of them over him at this point.

Old
Lottery Oilers*
Nuge is Cobra

Quote:
Get this in...He ISN'T a bottom pairing defensemen at all. This is why people are having a rage fit.
That's great but you aren't going to convince Edmonton fans that he's a top 4 guy. 30 good games doesn't make someone a top 4 D.

Especially on a bottom 10 team.

Old
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
I don't care if he was a 6th over all pic-he doesn't play like one. Same can be said about Turris, him and Gagner are in the same stage in my opinion.
Gagner -- 291 GP, 59 G, 114A, 173 points.
Turris -- 131 GP, 19G, 27A, 46 points.

Suggesting they are the same stage seems a bit off, no?

Old
SaskOil*
u mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
We probably don't want Lombardi, he's another small player and he was a cap dump this offseason. We probably don't want/need Bozak either, even if we move Gagner we have enough center depth. How many draft picks do we need? Tambi already had to get the 2nd(Cogliano) to be from 13 in a trade because we have so many picks/prospects right now. We can't keep trading away players for a collection of lesser picks and prospects, especially when they're 21 and they've gone through their growing pains on our dime. Why develop a player only to trade him away when he finally gets it. Trading a 22 year old high draft pick=perpetual rebuild.

You know that Jordan Eberle all of 9 months younger "outperformed" Gagner by scoring at the same rate, and neither Paajarvi or Omark was better. And Gagner plays a tougher postition than all 3. Nobody should be holding Gagner to the standard Hall or Hopkins sets, these guys are probably going to be premier players for a long time and went 1st overall for a reason.

Gagner's offence has "stagnated" depite his team getting worse offensively, and playing tougher competition. This is pretty common where a player stagnates in terms of boxcars because he begins facing an incresingly tougher role (it happened to H.Sedin and at lower numbers at ages 19-22, like Sam's dad he broke out at 24). His rookie season, which had a lot of good bounces go his way (Sh%, PDO, Points per goal scored while on the ice), created unreal expectations, he is still way ahead of the curve for players his age. Do 21 year old centers who can reasonably produce 50 points in a full season sound common to you? How about when you add to the fact he plays on easily the worst offensive team and defensive team in the league, and he playes regularly with underwhelming/inexperienced players(youngest team in the league). Gagner is facing an uphill battle in terms of maturation/experience/circumstance as a player, he's performed admirably well considering this. I myself wouldn't move him for anything short of a very good return.
Yeah but why let facts get in the way of a good troll fest?

Old
10-06-2011, 10:56 AM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Exactly. Franson is the 7th defenseman and will be up in the press box, Gunnarsson won't be. I think both Franson and Komisarek sit before Gunnarsson does.
You're right. Gunnarsson is really getting underrated here. He's not flashy, but he does his job really well.

Old
Petro Points

Quote:
Get this in...He ISN'T a bottom pairing defensemen at all. This is why people are having a rage fit.
is he not a bottom pairing D for TOR?
Will he not see some PB time this season?

Old
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
Tha's exceptional value for Schenn. I'm not saying the Leafs may not say no, but it isn't trolling. What do you think Schenn is worth? A Hall or Hopkins? Because he's not.
Gagner + a rental in Hemsky is worth Schenn and a 2nd?...really?
i'm an Oilers fan and I even see how ridiculous that is. yah, ..it's trolling.

Old
10-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
No, he isn't. He's been one of the best Leaf defensemen over the past two years. He plays a solid, but unspectacular game, makes few mistakes in his own end, can move the puck well, and is a very smart player.

I agree. IMO, the Oilers only have one defenseman who is clearly better than Gunnarsson and that's obviously Whitney. I'm pretty sure I'd take Gunnarsson over Gilbert and Smid and I know I'd take him over Sutton, Barker, and Peckham.

Old
huge*

Send a message via MSN to huge* Send a message via Skype™ to huge*
gagner is a 40 point centre. dont even want em. hes bozak minus defence

Old
DPyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
is he not a bottom pairing D for TOR?
Will he not see some PB time this season?
The only players spending time in the press box are Komisarek and Franson.

Old
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post

Then you don't know much about the Oilers defense. He's at best third on our depth chart (behind Whitney and Gilbert), and possibly behind Smid as well. He would be a marginal upgrade at best over our glut of bottom pairing guys. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have him than any of our group of plugs, but just because he would play second pair on the worst defense in the league doesn't make him a second pair d-man. If that's all it takes, than Theo Peckham is a 2nd pair d-man, and he isn't at this point.

Old
10-06-2011, 10:58 AM
MisterD

Quote:
Gagner + a rental in Hemsky is worth Schenn and a 2nd?...really?
i'm an Oilers fan and I even see how ridiculous that is. yah, ..it's trolling.

Old
10-06-2011, 10:58 AM
The Yzerman
1983 - 4th Overall

vCash: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
Gunnarsson got 20 points in his second year as a defenceman so ya...
So did Lebda, what's your point? Sam Gagner is a consistent 50 pts centre, surely the value is there, right?

Closed Thread