HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nikita Nesterov

Old
12-31-2014, 07:33 PM
xteesy

vCash: 500
Nikita Nesterov

Kid played pretty freaking good tonight. Very physical and also made two really gorgeous saves for us that coulda easily been goals.

xteesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2014, 07:49 PM
zeykshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by xteesy View Post
Kid played pretty freaking good tonight. Very physical and also made two really gorgeous saves for us that coulda easily been goals.
Was sheltered, but didn't really look timid. That's all you can ask for really from a kid in his first game. Make mistakes, but make ones of commission instead of playing timid.

On the topic of young D, when are we going to start a Barberio thread to give the kid some love? He's actually played pretty damned well.

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2014, 07:55 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeykshade View Post
Was sheltered, but didn't really look timid. That's all you can ask for really from a kid in his first game. Make mistakes, but make ones of commission instead of playing timid.

On the topic of young D, when are we going to start a Barberio thread to give the kid some love? He's actually played pretty damned well.
Yeah Barbs looks very confident. He's made great improvement since last year.

Old
12-31-2014, 11:00 PM
wxkid23

Send a message via Skype™ to wxkid23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
Yeah Barbs looks very confident. He's made great improvement since last year.
I agree. He's actually looked pretty dang good the few times he's actually been out there

wxkid23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2015, 05:02 AM
Jacko95

So just for the record, Barbs has taken huge steps forward, Sustr aswell and now the next callup has a pretty strong first game?
Do we finally start to develop defenders? If this keeps up, I would be really happy

Very happy to see my somehow good feeling about Nesterov become true. I was always one of his biggest fans around here and it is so great to see im excel after such a shaky first year here.

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2015, 04:02 PM
The Green Unit

I want to see more of him, he has a very interesting skillset.

The Green Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2015, 02:24 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

http://www.syracuse.com/crunch/index...98d796070b59f5
Quote:
In the estimation of Syracuse Crunch head coach Rob Zettler, defenseman Nikita Nesterov faced a career crossroads after his rookie season of play last year.

"He's always been able to skate. He's always been able to shoot,'' Zettler said. "It was a matter of him deciding whether or not he wanted to put the work in to be an NHL player.''

Nesterov, a native of Russia, is still working on his English. But his play this season speaks eloquently of the choice he made.
Quote:
Nesterov's ascension is a reversal of his frustrating play of last season. He was a turnover machine whose decision-making needed a lot of polish. While the problems were brutally obvious in games, the real roots reached back to practices.

Zettler said his approach, at times, was too casual in practice, and that was reflected when the scoreboard was flipped on for real.

"He had very average practice habits last year. And they've improved dramatically this year,'' Zettler said. "It's night and day as far as I'm concerned. Not even close. And it all stems from his practice habits. I thought from the get-go this year his practice habits have improved, thus his game habits have improved, and his game's improved.

"Some guys don't think it (practice) is important. It's no accident when a player makes the NHL. Normally they're very good practice players as well. They bring it every day. When you practice sometimes, that means you play your game sometimes. You can't have that. What you do in practice directly translates to what you do in a game.''
Quote:
Nesterov has still produced forehead-rubbing moments this season, but his consistency has picked up the last month. ...

"He's making better decisions with the puck because he's a little bit more prepared because he's doing the work prior to getting the puck,'' Zettler said. "He's skating to the open ice, he's skating to get open for his partner. He's a lot more aware of his surroundings. All those things, it takes time.''

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2015, 03:41 PM
BOLTMAN

Nesterov played so well that I'm beginning to wonder what we could get for Hedman.

BOLTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2015, 11:21 PM
Damifino

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOLTMAN View Post
Nesterov played so well that I'm beginning to wonder what we could get for Hedman.
Uhm - No! sarcasm or not

Damifino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2015, 11:41 PM
The Green Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOLTMAN View Post
Love me some Hedmonster. Careful though, Nesterov's potential should't be underestimate. Sample size is extremely small but Nikita seems to have "the suff" for a dman; A poised, effortless skater. I'm seriously salivating, gimme some more.

Old
01-10-2015, 08:08 AM
Damifino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashintangibles View Post
Love me some Hedmonster. Careful though, Nesterov's potential should't be underestimate. Sample size is extremely small but Nikita seems to have "the suff" for a dman; A poised, effortless skater. I'm seriously salivating, gimme some more.
Agreed - His shot looked great last night, really great. Threaded a few through nasty traffic, that will pay soon. Played solid D. Took a foolish penalty tho (you're not playing hard enough if you don't take a few).

Can someone start a player discussion on him, I expect (hope) him to be here for the duration.

Old
01-10-2015, 10:52 AM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damifino View Post
Agreed - His shot looked great last night, really great. Threaded a few through nasty traffic, that will pay soon. Played solid D. Took a foolish penalty tho (you're not playing hard enough if you don't take a few).

Can someone start a player discussion on him, I expect (hope) him to be here for the duration.
Ceiling it's a top pairing defenseman. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but you can definitely see flashes that scream out top pairing dman. Keep him up and let's see how hee does, he looks like a gamer.

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2015, 08:33 PM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
last year came into camp was girl oggling etc.. knew he just wasnt there all the talent in the world some people got down on him I was thinking hes still a kid new environment learn US game etc.. should be ok in 2-3 years.

Is great to know hanging out with vasi and kucherov rubbed off into practice play and maturity this offseason etc..

He might reach that number 3 d man a few of us thought bolt 32 me and others when we drafted him

So far I am impressed with his in game just hope the rest the girl chasing etc.. is put behind to focus on becoming the next ONE like clutch vasi vladdy etc..
love me some russians haha

robertguess2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2015, 08:39 PM
HoseEmDown

His issue has always been being soft, has that changed that much this year?

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2015, 08:46 PM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
His issue has always been being soft, has that changed that much this year?
in the games? he has been taking the guy not like gudas but playing the body as much as stick checking of the other guys we have he has been impressive honestly to me night and day from where I thought he was.

He even played a guy last night fast guy ennis yep when he was coming across blue line and held him up and caused an offsides he was right on him physically like to see that we dont play like that or most of our boys dont.

robertguess2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2015, 05:55 AM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
Ceiling it's a top pairing defenseman. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but you can definitely see flashes that scream out top pairing dman. Keep him up and let's see how hee does, he looks like a gamer.
I'm gotta disagree. I think a #4 or #5 is more likely his ceiling, not to say that he can't make it higher. A top pairing guy is a stretch though.

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2015, 09:18 AM
JS91

He's looked pretty solid so far. Don't think he has the tools to become a legit #2 for our team over Stralman, but I could see him as our long-term 2nd pairing LD going forward. That's, of course, if he keeps developing as well as expected.

JS91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2015, 10:54 AM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
I'm gotta disagree. I think a #4 or #5 is more likely his ceiling, not to say that he can't make it higher. A top pairing guy is a stretch though.
Actually I don't think it is much of a stretch for him to hit that now. I wouldn't say he is close to hitting his ceiling, just saying what it is.
Remember, Daigle had the ceiling to be a franchise player and we all know what happened there.

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2015, 12:20 PM
Damifino

Should see Nesterov a good bit tonite - Coach can shelter him easily against Philly and test him a little too.

Kid definitely needs a nickname tho.

Old
01-12-2015, 12:23 PM
Lightning813

Quote:
Should see Nesterov a good bit tonite - Coach can shelter him easily against Philly and test him a little too.

Someone posted a tweet from Joe Smith on the game day thread saying that he and Brown will likely be scratched tonight.

Lightning813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2015, 12:11 PM
The Green Unit

And another strong game by Nesterov, his possession numbers remain sky-high despite the lowest offensive zone start % among TB's dmen, taking mostly neutral zone face-offs. He's the epitome of high risk/high reward player. The lad pinches & joins the rush like a crazy mofo. Mark my words, sooner or later he's going to make costly mistakes here & there, though I can't help myself but drool over the flashes of brilliant hockey sense he's displayed so far. His 2 points have been an understatement, could've easily been 4 points seeing the glorious scoring chance he's been involved in... Quite surprisingly he's also capable to play the body on the other side of the rink.

It's only 5 games so I can only keep my fingers crossed he's no fluke nonetheless.

Old
01-16-2015, 05:25 PM
zeykshade

Quote:

Heard Dylan Blujus call him "Nesty" (I think) in a podcast interview with Jeremy Houghtaling.

Old
01-16-2015, 05:27 PM
zeykshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashintangibles View Post
And another strong game by Nesterov, his possession numbers remain sky-high despite the lowest offensive zone start % among TB's dmen, taking mostly neutral zone face-offs. He's the epitome of high risk/high reward player. The lad pinches & joins the rush like a crazy mofo. Mark my words, sooner or later he's going to make costly mistakes here & there, though I can't help myself but drool over the flashes of brilliant hockey sense he's displayed so far. His 2 points have been an understatement, could've easily been 4 points seeing the glorious scoring chance he's been involved in... Quite surprisingly he's also capable to play the body on the other side of the rink.

It's only 5 games so I can only keep my fingers crossed he's no fluke nonetheless.
He can also play both sides. Used to playing Right D as a lefty, gives him some real versatility for a guy who looks 100% NHL ready from the blueline in and still learning, but solid in the DZone.

Old
01-16-2015, 05:36 PM
Follower of Yzlam
#FreeDrouin

vCash: 134
I'm really happy with what I've seen so far, but at the same time, I'm going to ease up on hype with this guy. It's not unheard of to see such a large step up in development from a player - he seems to have great hockey sense.

Still, excited about him.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2015, 05:40 PM
zeykshade

Typically callups can look amazing for <10 games, after that they regress a bit and that's when you can see where they're really at development wise. No reason to hype him up just yet really.